Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is there a way to do a full factory reset of a X100F?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have a Fuji X100F and I’m considering diving deeper into Fuji to compliment my Nikon habit.

If I bought a XT30 with a entry lens, is it comparable to the F100 in quality? Which lenses are best bang for the buck?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Thanks for the Fujifilm advice itt. I’m pulling the trigger on selling my X100F and getting an X-T30 with the 15-45 kit lens to try out before I invest in any other glass.

I do have a fair amount of Nikon glass that I’ve accumulated over the past 15 years. Does anyone have experience with an adapter to use Nikon glass on a Fuji? There seem to be a number of them online with mixed reviews and the adapters themselves cost almost as much as a cheap prime, so it may not be worth it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m also very happy Sigma is in the game. I just have the 15-45 right now as I just got a T30 and I’m going to wait to see if Sigma releases anything else the next year or so. I would like a 135mm equivalent. $950 for the Fuji 90mm with no image stabilization is over my budget.

On that note, it seems that Fuji has image stabilization in their zoom lenses but not in most their primes. Why is that?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The 70-300 is pretty good; I use it for casual bird/wildlife and have no complaints. It’s not the 100-400 but it’s less than half the cost and it is compatible with TCs.

But even if you wanted to get one it seems like they’re always out of stock at the major retailers.

I remembered this post and rented the 70-300 for a trip next week visiting my parents in Florida. $72 for 8 days which isn’t too bad. Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m curious to see how the new Sigma x mount trio performs. That 30mm 1.4 is under $400 new.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
drat. Sorry to hear that. I don’t know about your camera but I once had a lens that Nikon wanted $500 to repair while an excellent used copy was only $600. You might run into a similar toss up.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is Capture One the best tool for applying Fuji film recipes to raw photos? The native Fuji app is pretty drat clumsy.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Cool. I just get out to shoot so little these days that I never can decide if I should do OOC jpgs or raw and adjust later.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Ok thanks everyone. I just like dicking around with fuji film simulations and will continue to do so one way or another.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Nikon's new Z30 was announced. Entry level mirrorless aimed at bloggers and casual video folk.

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/06/29/nikon-z30-aps-c-mirrorless-camera-announced.aspx/#more-171457

Hooray?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have an X-T30 and I’m kind of getting into video. The only lens I have is the 35mm F2. The body has no image stabilization. Would getting a lens like the 18-55 with image stabilization make a huge difference in handheld recording?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I love the jpgs on my X-T30. My only beef is the film “recipes” can sometimes make skin tones a bit goofy in an otherwise good photo. The in camera simulations are nice, though. Hard to go wrong with Acros.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Mods? This person is suggesting that all of us don’t always need another camera.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mega Comrade posted:

Even Fuji have stopped updating their older gear.

As an X-T30 shooter I’m annoyed that they didn’t give me Classic Negative in a firmware update, but the X-T30 ii gets it despite being almost the same drat camera. I feel like I’m being punished despite being an earlier adopter to the brand.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Does anyone in this forum shoot a digital Leica?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
X-T20?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

rufius posted:

I shoot fuji and a big part of that is the film sim recipes. I’ve got mine setup to render nice jpegs out of the camera for my most common shooting scenarios like low light indoors with my kids.

Can I ask your preferred recipes/settings for jpgs in this situation? We live in Minnesota so I spend way too much of the winter hunkered inside and my kids become the main photo subjects by default. I love Fuji recipes but I find some of them give really unpleasant skin tones with indoor lighting.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

rufius posted:

I primarily shoot indoors on an X-T4 so that’ll be a limiter depending on your camera. These all come from Fuji X Weekly. On my phone so not directly linking.

My preferred indoor recipes are:

- Timeless Negative
- Eterna v2
- Reggie’s Portra - I use this one a lot if I’m getting any natural light in addition to lamps.

My preferred overcast outdoor recipes are:

- Fujicolor Reala 100
- Fujicolor Superia 800 - this one can wash skin out a bit but it’s good for most other subjects
- Reggie’s Portra - if I’m mostly shooting people, I’ll use this one

Reala 100 is new for me but I’ve shot it a lot in the last couple days. It gives the same feel as Superia 800, but it works better with skin tones.

Thanks for sharing! I have an X-T30 so I’ll check these out.

I shot a bunch indoors using Acros today. It’s such a good coverup for high ISO situations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji X100 series cameras are fun, but cumbersome when trying to change anything quickly. I’m absolutely blown away by the few people I’ve seen who competently shoot weddings with them. I haven’t tried the X100V, so maybe it’s better, but I’ve shot a lot with the F and it’s just not built for urgent moments.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

qirex posted:

The only thing that takes me any time is changing ISO [which I have auto ranges for], between the Q menu, custom dials and the physical controls I have it pretty down. That said using my camera at sub-maximum efficiency does not have any impact on making my living, plus I use a flash very rarely which would complicate things a lot and I expect that's 99% of the time for a wedding photographer.

I also have a GR III and I like it but I don't love it, particularly no EVF. It mostly makes me wish my X100 was a touch smaller, 28mm and had IBIS.

You shoot an X100 series for income? Honestly I’m impressed. Not because it’s not capable, but most pros lean on 3-4 lenses and a couple bodies.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Shooting weddings seems to take a special kind of patience. I know a couple pros who stopped shooting weddings after a decade-ish of doing so. Eating up weekends, difficult wedding parties/families, 8-12 hour days, and then the stress of getting it right. I’m good, thanks.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji has some lenses on sale if you got money to burn.

https://www.fujirumors.com/surprising-price-drops-on-selected-fujinon-xf-lenses-not-listed-on-new-official-fujifilm-deals/

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
lol

Maybe he takes the train because he financed it for 24 months in replacement of a car payment.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have yet to experience a camera app that consistently works.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

tk posted:

Just get an SD card reader for your phone and be done with it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

If you want to play hardball, include in the ad "Any message that doesn't open with 'I understand this is not an X100V'" will be ignored.

I need to sell my 100F soon but am probably going to limit myself to local marketplace, judging by posts in the Fuji Australia group the X100V is like catnip for scammers, I reckon the F would probably not be too far behind.

I sold my dad’s like new X100F for him on eBay and had to block some idiots asking for offline sales, as well as a scam third party message asking me to ship to a different address than the payer submitted after the auction ended. I’ve sold camera gear before without this many people trying to get in on it, so these cameras certainly attract grifters.

That said, it sold for $1200 and he bought it for that same price on clearance at Best Buy in 2020 before they became super trendy. The markup is nuts.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Maybe I should give MPB another try. Everyone has good experiences, it seems. I did not, but apparently it was when they were switching warehouses or something so they were a little bit messed up.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I rented the 70-300 last year for a Florida vacation and enjoyed it very much on my X-T30. Snappy, lightweight, smooth zoom. This isn’t a great shot as I wasn’t prepared for the eagle to come out of nowhere, but it’s a photo from the lens that I have on my phone.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Nice beaver.

Did you eat the cost of the missing lens?

I had a customer service issue with MPB and it was impossible to get a hold of anyone and when I did, they would send me an email, I would respond, and they would never respond again in that chain. I talked to at least four people about the issue over separate email chains, none which resolved the issue. It was a nightmare.

Thankfully, I paid through PayPal and PayPal helped resolve the issue.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Is this the US MPB, because EU MPB has had quick email responses for me.

USA for me

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I paid $550 for an open box X-T30 and 15-45 about 18 months ago and I’m pretty sure I could get that or more for it today. The smaller Fuji bodies and x100 series are quite trendy.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The X-S20 looks nifty but the $1,300 price seems steep.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
If I had 6000 bucks to drop on camera gear, I don’t think it would be on a Q3.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
That video is great. Total vibes.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I thought I heard they aren’t even taking new X100V orders at this point as people have been waiting for months, but I may be wrong.

Anyone shoot with an X-T5? My wife has planned two big trips for us next year and I don’t want to haul my Nikon D5 around, so I’m thinking about trading in my X-T30. l like the X-T30 but the viewfinder is not ideal and I’d like something with IBIS for video and two memory card slots for backup. I took the X-T30 to Seattle last summer and felt I didn’t make the most of the trip from a photography/videography standpoint.

Anyone shoot an X-T5 and have strong opinions?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

waffle enthusiast posted:

I have the X-T5. It’s great! Only slightly bigger than the X-T3. Significantly improved battery life.

How’s the autofocus? I’ve heard reviews ranging from it’s inconsistent trash to it’s fine and people on the internet are just dramatic. Is the eye focus on par with the X-T3?

Wibla posted:

I bought a Nikon Z30 for travel use, it's pretty small, not too expensive, and does the job. No EVF though.

This is tempting except I don’t want to buy into another lens system.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’ll be doing that someday. Trying to hold off until there are a lot more used Z lenses on the market. The Z8 is the first time I’ve felt a strong pull to switch now, but I can’t swing a $4,000 body with no lens, so the decision is still easy.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

nielsm posted:

Thank you. The D700 I'm coming from is 12 MP and is imo only "okay" when going past ISO 800, so sensor wise mostly anything will be an improvement. (Save the obvious part about going from full frame to smaller.)
I'll take another look at the E-M5 line again, and otherwise probably just go for a cheaper E-M10 mk2.

I also briefly looked at lens adapters, and it looks like there's basically a choice between cheap mount-only in the $30 range, and some with aperture control in the $100 range, but none of them do any electronic communication?

I feel old hearing that the D700 is only OK for high ISO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Wibla posted:

Came here to post this. The D700 and D3 were revolutionary when they came out.

They were and they held their own for 10+ years, imo. There is a quote from a Nikon engineer around the release of the D3 where he was asked what makes the D3 special and he said something like, “other digital cameras take pictures. The D3 takes photographs.” That sums up what a leap forward it was.