Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Yeah, I had read about that before I went to look at the lens. I have a 50-200 OS (for Nikon DX) from Sigma too, and the stabilizer element is the same way, so I'm kind of used to it. I was more surprised by the aperture chatter, I didn't notice it in the store and at first I thought I had somehow turned menu-clicks back on in the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Don't most compact cameras and camera phones have all-electronic shutters? And live view/video modes certainly don't have the shutter flapping up and down 60 times a second.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

spankmeister posted:

True, and when you buy a $1000+ camera there it doesn't really make sense to want to save $20 off of an SD card does it? :downs:

If that weren't 150% of the price of a good 16GB card, maybe.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

Really? It doesn't extend that much and most of the mass is still towards the rear of the camera anyway. Obviously the idea is that you collapse it for storage, what difference does the length make when you're actually using it?

Even better if extending the lens turns the camera on. I'd probably go for a collapsible prime on NEX if it did that. Make it more like an XA.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

"In-between" stops aren't that weird. Panasonic's20mm pancake is f/1.7, and Pentax has a 35/2.4 on the market as well.

1.8 is a between stop too.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Edward IV posted:

Not that it's much consolation but at least the LA-EA2 adapter gives us access to Sony and Minolta Alpha-mount lenses with phase-detection autofocus. Although that's at the cost of an increase in size and weight and the loss of image stabilization.

I wish they'd make one with a viewfinder. I mean if you're going to basically piece together an SLR anyway you might as well include the most useful part.

Like http://www.flickr.com/photos/realityscans/3891747857/in/photostream/

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Not to mention the agony of having to choose between the many excellent primes.

Sony should just give up making their own lenses, let Sigma do it. They're already way ahead with just the two, and they can spread the R&D over two mounts.

Beastruction fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 28, 2012

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
What crazy magic did they use to get f/2 into that small of a lens?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Samsung has a pancake 30mm f/2 lens. I wish Sony would get with it and do something similar.

30 is a more normal focal length though, don't wider angles usually have to use a more complicated design for the same aperture?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Have they just given up manufacturing the 16mm too? I don't think I've seen them in stock more than a couple times in the last 6 months.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

LiquidRain posted:

It basically has no reason to exist with the Sigma 19mm anyway. The Sigma isn't quite pancake, nor quite with a wide focal length, but it takes pictures that look a bajillion times better and it's cheaper. :shrug:

Yeah, I can understand why they'd give up on it, but they already make so few different lenses and it's the only actual pancake on a system designed around size. The only reason I care is I was supposed to get one with my 5N but the warehouse screwed up and hasn't gotten any more from Sony, and I want to see if I like the 16mm FOV and pancake size.

teraflame posted:

I had thought about abandoning my fuji s5 with 11-16/90 macro for a NEX 5n but from reading this thread you all seem dissatisfied with it. So there really isn't a good pancake solution nor good lenses on the horizon?

There's a pancake and some other lenses on Sony's lens roadmap but it's not exactly specific

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Does anyone make better battery doors for the NEX 5N? Mine is a little too easy to open accidentally. The battery and card seem secure enough that I'm not worried about them falling out, but it's annoying and feels really cheap compared to the rest of the body.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think you can replace the glass if it gets bad enough.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
That's a pretty funny rumor to come out the day after Thom Hogan posted that the NEX system only has seven lenses for seven bodies.

FasterThanLight posted:

A full frame NEX would be pretty cool because it might force Sony to make the bodies large enough to fit in a normal sized hand.

Considering the NEX is smaller than a lot of μ4/3 bodies they'd probably figure out a way to make it have NO grip.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

printf posted:

I guess my real wish is for some kind of NEX-7 with PDAF and a nice optical viewfinder, or good EVF. Given the size of the LE-AE2 adapter, which isn't all that large (esp. given that it isn't integrated into the body) a sort of NEX size body+integrated SLT combo would be pretty great. I'm not really sure why they decided to go with a completely new line of mounts and lenses when they could have downsized the slt line and called it a day

D40/NEX + adapter size by patnumber8, on Flickr

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Im That One Guy posted:

- 6 fps
- EVF only

That seems optimistic.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Keeping the EVF updated while shooting that fast.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

the NEX 5N can shoot at up to 10fps in burst mode but it only updates the screen when it can.

That's exactly what makes me dubious about the Fuji doing 6fps in a way that matches the rest of the camera, the NEX locks exposure and focus to get 10fps and the screen basically does rapid image review. You have to look around the camera to see what's happening, and I feel like that's a lot easier if the camera is always at arm's length anyway. With an EVF it would mean switching between eye-level and arms-length depending on what features of the camera you want to use.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Or you could shoot with both eyes open like you're supposed to be doing.

Oh that's what it is, my left eye is dominant enough that my right eye can either see almost nothing in the viewfinder or be blocked by the camera body.

Don Lapre posted:

Our cheap epm1 does 5.5. I hope a thousand dollar new camera can do better.

Like Leica!

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

$450 isn't that bad. Look at how much the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 costs and it doesn't have stabilization and is big as a house.

Yeah but that's 1.4, those always cost $400. $450 is too much for a regular standard prime.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
If it does 15fps with continuous phase detect AF like it's supposed to who cares what it looks like.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
If you don't mind a little bigger (coat/hoodie pocket instead shirt pocket) the two Sigma lenses are really good.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Radbot posted:

Has anyone here tried shooting slides/negatives with a slide copier? I saw some pretty impressive results from using a NEX-7 to copy a slide vs. some dedicated film scanners, and I was wondering if there were any good slide copy setups for vintage systems that might adapt well to NEX, in particular (one for Minolta would be extra-great since I already have an adapter - would those Konica slide copiers work?).

I have a Minolta Bellows III and a slide copier attachment that I used on my 5N a few times. I think the quality was ok (with the absolute minimum of effort and terrible lighting) but it was hard to get the right reproduction ratio, with the 50mm 1.7 it starts at almost 1:1 (too much for APS-C) and I bought a 135 to get out to 1:3 but it turned out that was still with like a half meter minimum focus distance so it wouldn't work with the slide copier. The manual doesn't list focus distances for the lenses and the 50mm was good enough to get my Nishika pictures onto the computer so I never investigated further, and now I don't have a NEX and do have a film scanner.

The slide copier was definitely faster, though.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Haven't there been "rumors" of a full frame NEX for like a year already?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

It wouldn't have to be FF. Sony would have a chance to really shake things up if they could make a crop body that could perform to a high standard.

You mean a 5N?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Isn't there a 17/2.8?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

KITT car vs kit car.

A kit lens in the kit car sense would be pretty interesting. For those of us too lazy to experiment building our own out of generic lenses and gaffer tape.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Didn't they just launch the SL1 "world's smallest DSLR"? Could be testing which markets want which kind of camera.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Can you not still put all the basic functions on custom buttons and like a half dozen more on the custom menu?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

Oh, you're gonna love focus peaking. Nex cameras will highlight the areas of highest contrast so you can tell, at a glance, what is or isn't in focus. You can also zoom in on the live-view image to fine tune your focus. It's really one of the killer features of the line.

It's not necessarily very accurate though, sometimes it's a choice between highlighting almost nothing and highlighting stuff that isn't in focus at all.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

Or, say, a letter S?

Download the new firmware for free, or order it on CD for $10 + S+H and get a bonus 's' sticker.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

At CES, for m4/3, Panasonic unveiled the Leica GD Noctiron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH... for a mere $1600

For portraits in octarine light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

8th-snype posted:

What's octarine? I can't remember.

The colour of magic.