Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Introduce a 2x converter for the x100 and x100s already!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Me want. I still love my x100 so much, but wish that cropped portraits were a bit higher resolution.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

So Fuji UK are now offering a free 27mm, 35mm or 60mm lens if you buy an X-Pro1 and 18mm before the end of Jan. A surfeit of 18s and clearing out the bodies before the launch of the Pro2?

Any online stores offering this? link? :-)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Is anyone else interested in the new GM1? With the lens it's 275 grams which is crazy small, and it has their latest/greatest sensor. The example shots on dpreview look excellent.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Apparently the DOF equivalents puts the RX100 shallower on the wide end, but then the GM1 shallower at the long end (handy for portraits). The big thing I am seeing is that the sensor looks amazing, and when not needing a tiny walk around lens, one could get a travel zoom or something super long to pop on when on vacations, something not possible on the RX100.

Plus 20mm 1.7 would own.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 5, 2013

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

Apparently the DOF equivalents puts the RX100 shallower on the wide end, but then the GM1 shallower at the long end (handy for portraits). The big thing I am seeing is that the sensor looks amazing, and when not needing a tiny walk around lens, one could get a travel zoom or something super long to pop on when on vacations, something not possible on the RX100.

Plus 20mm 1.7 would own.

drat, all interest lost. Max 1/50 Sync speed with flash. How the hell? Isn't it electronic shutter?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

also I was just totally forgetting it has no hotshoe, how would one sync with an external flash? Optical slave is lame cause I don't want that flash polluting the lighting of the scene. I bet there is some kind of solution by now with all the off camera flash hobbyists.

I am thinking of finally selling my 5D and lenses to finance a purchase. I only ever use my x100, save when doing portraits (most often with off camera flash) or when on vacation when I want some more lens flexibility.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I am not new to off camera flash work, but a raw bulb trying to expose for the necessarily darker scene settings of shooting with external flash (ie, way too dark for the room according to the camera's metering) it is going to try to pump the on board flash as high as it can. A diffuser or IR gel is most likely the way to go.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Get a Ricoh GR or X100.

I own an x100, and I love 35mm and the x100, but there are times when I want A) some compression, or B) a travel zoom for vacations. I have a 5D and 35/50/85 but it's huge, and while the files are still pretty good, I much prefer the colors from the X100.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Dren posted:

Depending on the camera you can shoot in M and dial your flash power/compensation way way down. The on board flash won't show up much except for specular highlights. Still, it's less than ideal.

A camera with a hotshoe or a sync port seems like a necessity to me if off camera flash is a desired use case.

Yeah, agreed, but I have gotten so used to having the light weight and small package of the X100, anything bigger seems like a chore I know I'll rarely leave the house with. I will probably just wait longer to upgrade, as my current stuff is fine. I just have a trip coming up to Tasmania, and while I know the X100 will be great for landscapes, I would love to photograph some of the wildlife as well.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

keyframe posted:

Hey what camera bag do you guys use for your x100s/xe-1/xpro1 or similar sized cameras. I want something that doesn't look like an rear end like those lowepro bags and preferably doesn't scream that it is a camera bag.

I'm with the strap guy. Putting the x100 in a bag ruins the always ready experience. The thing is so light you'll never notice it even in an all day trip, and with the leather case, you don't have to worry about it knocking against stuff or rain or anything.

I use a lightweight thin fabric strap that was not only cheap, but balls up to nothing when I do shove my x100 in my carryon luggage or whatever. Hated that a leather strap took up as much volume as the camera since it does not compress up easily.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

same

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

Anyone who buys an X100/X-Pro/X-T1 because they think the control dials make controlling it easier than any Prosumer/Pro DSLR is an idiot. I could adjust almost anything on my 5D extremely fast without having to remove my eye from the viewfinder or my finger from the shutter button. People are dumb and will come up with whatever excuse necessary to justify purchasing the newest piece of gear, Fujifilm cameras are no exception.

And yet, this 5D owner finds the physical dials on his X100 infinitely more enjoyable and user friendly. You can't march in with such an aggressive opinion about something so subjective. I happen to like never needing to do anything with a button or menu unless I am reviewing images, or formatting a card. For example changing ISO on the 5D original was ridiculously complicated. I also prefer non-contextual controls. The exp comp dial is *always* the exp comp dial, unlike the front wheel on the canon.

I find the X100 infinitely more simple, allowing me to focus on photography instead of fiddling with camera doohickies.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

So So So want that new 50mm converter for the X100. Hoping they also release a firmware for the original x100, but should work alright in RAW with EVF either way.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Have you tried the wide teleconverter?

Nope, mostly because I rarely like shooting wider than 35, and I have a 28mm for my 5D. If I end up getting the 50mm converter, I will seriously think about selling my 5D, so I would probably then get the 28mm for those few times I want wider. I have seen the samples shot with the 28mm and they look great.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Has anywhere suggested the ship date of the TCL-x100? (the 50mm conversion lens for the X100)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

Apparently the $1800 leica t standard zoom needs a shitload of software corrections so you don't even get exceptional glass.

I made the mistake of commenting on the Steve Huff post about this, and then got like 5,000 emails within an hour because it subscribed me. (people care a lot about defending Leica apparently)

People who argue the T lenses are worth the price, allude to M lenses and their high resale value and great optics. The problem is that I feel they are connected, I don't want to buy an M lens, but I understand the awesome glass design is part of why they are expensive (along with the red dot of course). If a lens has horrible optical design (and that is some crazy distortion on the zoom, like 18-350mm Tamron level poo poo) it cannot justify a high price because all it has is the red dot.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 5, 2014

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I am going to pick up the TCL-x100 finally for my x100 which I'm still using nearly daily. I ended up selling my 5D and 28/35/50/85 and use the X100 for everything. The only time I wish I had something else is for head shots, which I do very rarely, or compressed full body shots that don't show so much surrounding environment.

The TCL looks great for 50mm equiv, but I would really love an 85 if possible. Does anyone have both the TCL and access to the Tcon 1.7? I know someone posted just the x100 with tcon, and while it had some pure black vignetting it didn't protrude into the frame that much, and I'm wondering if it would work alright with the TCL. I've seen some results of 2x Tcon 1.7s on other various cameras with good results around the net (albeit on smaller sensor cameras).

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

whatever7 posted:

^ That should be 8x10 sorry.

For commercial of course you should be lugging a FF setup. But for your own use you really have very limited wall space to hang large 20 x 30 or whatever prints. So it's no big deal to spend time to shot a stitched panorama.

On a side note I printed some identical photos on 8x10 Kodak Endura Metallic paper and standard luster paper on a 12x12 book (I believe this is Kodak as well) from Adorama, I was surprised to see the metallic paper offer noticeable better contrast and resolution.

I've been shooting with an X100 original since it shipped, and a 12mp 5D original before that. I have 2 meter wide prints on my wall that are sharp, detailed, and want for nothing visually.

There *are* people who need more than 12 mp, 99% of all photographers don't fit in that group. Especially seeing as the vast majority don't print, and those few that do print most often uses sizes that 12mp can easily handle.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Just got the TCL converter for my X100. Love it. There were a few times I wanted some shot compression, or to be able to do headshots without the giant noses a 35mm gives. Really really pleased with the quality of this converter.

_DSF6935.jpg by Ben Mathis, on Flickr

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Martytoof posted:

The same way the Xpro1 is "pocketable" with the 27mm if you wear idiot rave pants, but if you do wear idiot rave pants EYY fuggedaboudit!

I'm actually finding that I want something that is less pocketable and more messenger bag-able. Having a lens stick out always makes me worried that I'm going to shear it right off the body if I bump into a wall or something. There doesn't seem to be a good median between ease of access and padding the gently caress out of your bag.

Unless I'm being paranoid.

I find the X100 with the leather ever ready case totally removes this problem. I can throw it over my shoulder even when wearing a tank top and swim shorts without pockets, and I never worry about rain, or it knocking against things, and it's always ready to just unsnap and bring up to my eye to photograph.

Maybe your particular camer/lens combo has an ever ready case?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I'm curious. What are people in this thread using even HD let alone 4k for? I've got a few film friends who do full film production (one has the first ever 8k dragon sensor) and that makes sense if your end result is going to be actual cinema theatre projectors that can utilize it, but aren't most people in this thread uploading to youtube or vimeo as their final presentation format?

It just seems a bit like a silly feature that so few people will use. It seems similar to all of a sudden getting 100 mp sensors in point and shoots or phones despite 99% of users posting to facebook or flickr and never printing, let alone at billboard sizes.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

MeruFM posted:

High megapixels innately resolve more detail. Even if you downscale the 4k to 1080, it will be notably sharper than 1080. You can also do crops on 4k while retaining 1080 detail.

Same with cameras. The 50mp canon/42mp sony lets you crop easier and downscales resolve more detail.

High megapixels on point-and-shoots is weirder. 16mp on a 1/2.3 sensor is ludicrous. If you put that pixel density on a FF sensor, it would be 600mp.

Yes, I know that. But a marginally sharper 1080 crop of some amateur video on vimeo gets you....?

Again: any kind of non desktop projection... go wild. 1080, 4k, 8k, they have their utility. But if end platform is a social platform share for people to watch on their monitors, where no commercial aspect is involved, I just don't get it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its absolutely disgusting how good the X100F is in low light, I shouldn't be able to shoot color at 10000 iso

Speaking of, I'm finally thinking of upgrading my x100 original. I have the leather case that it lives in, and the TCLx100 which I use about 30% of the time.

My main complaints:
1. Not quite enough resolution, especially after trips and wanting to make canvas wall prints
2. While it was jaw dropping high ISO and dynamic range back at launch, camera tech has moved on and I'm jealous of higher dynamic range and ISO performance
3. Biggie, the AF is balls slow, lacks any kind of tracking feature, and I now have a toddler

I was looking at the Panasonic lx100 (or whatever number the micro 4/3 sensor one is) but it's *only* 12 mp which the x100 already is. I was also looking at bigger cameras but the size of the x100 was my main selling point after downgrading from a DSLR, and I was also looking at the Sony Rx1 III but 3k USD plus is too steep for my wallet AND it is much deeper than the x100 and sounds like the AF isn't that great.

X100F seems to answer all my problems, and I can continue using the leather case and teleconverter I already own (though not the batteries, but I'm ok if it means longer battery life)

Anyone else made the jump from x100 original to F, or who owns both and would be willing to do a little dynamic range and/or high ISO direct comparison between the two?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

8th-snype posted:

The only difference is the v2 converters have a magnet in them to tell the camera that you mounted it so it will automatically apply the correct setting. You can still use the v1 converters you just have to manually tell the camera it's mounted, like a peasant.

Honestly there's no reason to do a heads up between the original x100 and the f, the f is better in every single way. In terms of performance the f is on par with the xpro/xt2 for nearly everything. It's camera I use as my second body on weddings with full confidence.

Was aware of the teleconverter upgrade and that it's possible to use V1 on the x100F.

And aware the performance is better, I'm just curious "how better" before I pull the trigger

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah the camera itself was slow, but I definitely preferred the image quality from the original to the first Xtrans variation, I think the S? The T looked to be on par IQ wise, and now the F seems noticeably better.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo PIMM's back :toot:

Life got busy man, photography hobby took a backseat for a while and I've been super happy with the x100 + tclx100 for years now. Tech is finally advanced enough I feel I'd notice the upgrade bump. I'll do a proper x100 vs x100f test once it's mine

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Just pulled the trigger on a black X100f with black leather case. Excited to finally see what face and eye AF tracking is all about!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

rio posted:

It’s good - eye detect af in particular was really impressive to me since I was coming from the x-100 to the x-t1 to the x-t2 and the improvements going to the last body were just so pronounced.

lol, I'm going from X100 original.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

rio posted:

You will see a huge difference obviously haha. I still wish I had my old x100 though. There was something about that camera that was just so good and even the later x-trans versions couldn’t quite capture what it had going on. That have their own strengths of course but I wish it hadn’t sold it. And n top of that, that was my gateway into Fuji and the camera that got me to stop shooting canon and sell all of that gear to switch 100%.

I went to immense trouble to get one of the first shipment cameras from New Zealand (lol, I live in Iceland) before the tsunami delayed the global roll out. I'm holding on to it in the hopes it might be worth something some day. Plus it will be nice to be able to rock both of them, X100 with the teleconverter and X100f without for a 35/50 setup.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Rontalvos posted:

Ok this is something I find kinda funny.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right. There are iso monsters which can shoot at iso 250,000 and make a moonlit beach appear like a bright sunny day. Comparatively, the OG X100 absolutely pales in comparison.

I bought the X100 a few months after it came out, and compared to my Canon 40D, whose ISO was a mess at 1600, in my mind the X100 will always be "good" in low light. Especially compared to what it replaced.

Now, my X-T1 kicks the pants off the X100 in low light. But I'll always have a chuckle whenever somebody calls the original X100 bad for any reason. I still have mine and occasionally shoot with it. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Same experience. Even now in 2017 I consider the x100 a great high ISO camera, I don't hesitate to push to 12,800 at times (in post). The only cameras that noticeably trounce it are significantly larger, more expensive, or both. Even the x100f I read is only about one stop improved from online reviews.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

X100F is so ..... unggggggg *fist biting noise* can't really describe.

It took pouring through the manual to get a grip on all the improvements, but I'm really enoying it. I currently have it set to landscape preferences in Manual mode, and then child friendly face tracking and pre-AF in AF-S mode, seems to work really well. Everything is snappier, especially the wait from taking a photo to seeing the live view again. It's so fast I was confused if it took a photo or not, coming from the blackout on the X100.

Also I didn't think I'd like the picture in picture tiny tab in the OVF but in manual mode, having it show the center point already magnified, with the AF set to the AFL button?? just great, really helps nail the focus on what I am aiming for. Another nice surprise is in-body battery charging via USB. Anyone tried plugging it into a powerbank via USB to see if it still charges?

Wifi transfer to the phone is a little more complicated than I would like but still nifty and I think I'll be using it, especially on trips to post quick previews.

Also just loving the high ISO. this is 3200, uncropped, but with a 100% detail. Craziness!!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

melon cat posted:

I tried out the x100f not too long ago. The colours are amazing and the AF is fantastic. But my wife and I couldn't get over the tiny, awkward controls in it, especially the annoyingly-small focus ring. I don't even have large hands and felt like everything required tiny sweatshop hands to operate.

That's weird since I count being able to use the X100/f dials even with gloves on a big selling point since I live in Iceland. I'm also 6'3"/190cm and don't have tiny hands.

Never had a problem. Now trying to use any camera that relies on traditional buttons, like the 5D? that was impossible without de-gloving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Mmmmmm, ISO 4,000

3 image stitch, taken through a fence, while standing on a guard rail, car idling behind me in a parking lot. The ability to have the x100F with me at all times without weight/size penalty of a dslr, but achieving the IQ of one... yes maam.