Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ashcans posted:

Honestly I think you sort of have a problem. I mean I realize that bedbugs are a huge pain in the rear end and being bitten is a pain, but you realize they don't actually do anything, right? Like they don't carry any diseases and there is no inherent risk from being bitten. The fact that you would be willing to soak your living space in an industrial toxin (which would definitely have health impacts, even when DDT was used widely no one drenched their houses in it) is a terrible trade-off.
To be fair, a few people have hideous allergic reactions to the bites. Nothing like discovering your bed bug problem by getting huge welts that make you look like your skin is attempting to become a seperate lifeform(:nms: Not me, but I lost the few pictures I had of my horrible bed bug welts). There can also be psychological effects from knowing that hundreds of tiny insects are feeding on you at night, and you can't stop sleeping in your bed because that'll just make them follow you & infest someplace else. As far as I'm concerned, the lack of disease transmission is the only small mercy of those fuckers.

But honestly, unless one of your neighbors has them(unlikely, but also hard to detect since bedbugs don't tend to hang around places unless they have a person to feed on) or unless you bring in infested items yourself(unlikely in this case given how paranoid Sunshine89 is about them), you're pretty much safe from bedbug infestations. Other bugs are relatively easy to keep away if you keep your living space clean(so they don't have food to munch on) and uncluttered(so they don't have as many places to hide). Basically, don't freak out about insecticides until you have an actual, verifiable insect problem - at best you'd be wasting your money, at worst you're creating resistant insects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

deadwing posted:

One thing I do need to worry about is loving pots and pans. The ones I'm using right now are all of my roommate's. Now, I have a Costco membership, but I'm not so sure I need to spend 150 dollars on a 17 piece set when all I need is a normal sized covered skillet and probably like four sizes of pots with covers. I'm sure (with the Costco return policy at the very least) that such a set would last me a lifetime, but is buying separates at all economically viable, or should I just bite the bullet?
I've never needed more than one medium sized pot, one large pot, one medium frying pan(even how much I need this is questionable), and one large pan. All of that can be bought seperately for much cheaper than a set, and that's without getting antistick poo poo(which I avoid like the plague - all stainless steel and cast iron for me). I don't remember the exact cost, but it definitely didn't exceed $150. Even if they were equal, I wouldn't want a shitload of useless pots and pans in odd sizes cluttering up my kitchen.

E: I found something on the Simple Dollar relevant to this discussion. Basically, it's better to spend a little more per pot/pan to get something that'll last than to buy a big set because it's cheaper per piece.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 2, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

caberham posted:

Bit of both :iiam: It's more along the lines of not throwing away poo poo and not being neat so storage space gets under utilized :smith:
Some tips to help with both of these.

Not throwing away poo poo:
-Implement a "buy something, toss something" system. This is mostly useful for clothes, but it can be applied to other possessions too. If you get a new shirt, an old shirt must go. If you get a new toothbrush(or any other item that you replace regularly), it had better be because you're going to throw out the old one when you get home. This has the duel benefits of halting clutter accumulation and forcing yourself to reconsider if you really need to buy something new.
-Take a shelf/closet/whatever unit of space you feel like tackling, and put everything cluttering it into a box. Put the day's date on the box. If you find you legitimately need something, take it out of the box, use it, and put it back into the original shelf/etc. Anything that hasn't been taken out of the box after several months(I'd set a hard deadline to avoid going "well, I might need this stuff in another month") gets tossed, sold, or donated. There really aren't that many things you need to keep on hand that only get used once a year or less, so don't stop yourself from getting rid of things by going "I might need that someday!".

Not using storage space:
-Make sure all of your possessions have a home they belong in. They probably have vague ones already(tools on this shelf, electronic cables in this drawer, etc), just poorly organized and not necessarily chosen to be in the best place. 99% of the places your things go shouldn't be laying out in the open - organize stuff onto shelves, hang clothes in closets, put small knick-knacks in drawers. Hell, even if you don't organize things right away, getting them out of plain sight will make your place look considerably nicer. Just make sure you don't use "well, my piles of clutter aren't visible now" as an excuse to avoid decluttering.
-Never allow anything to stay on kitchen tables, office desks(you may make an exception for one pen here), end tables, and other clutter accumulators for more than 24 hours. Things need to either return to their home or get thrown out. You have mail sitting on the closest table to the door? Deal with it and/or recycle it. You have 5 pens scattered on your computer desk? Put them in a drawer, or at least in a pen holder(a spare cup will work for this). You took out your Kindle, but it's been sitting unused on the kithen table for 3 days? Put it back in the spot it belongs in.

Unfuck Your Habitat has a ton of other tips for making your place neat and keeping it that way. They also offer routine reminders to do things like make your bed.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 3, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Microwaves are a godsend if you like to eat leftovers, but many things can be reheated in other ways(crispy stuff actually reheats better in the oven!). They're also more efficient at heating liquids than anything else in the kitchen - handy if you enjoy hot cocoa, tea, or other things that require hot water. That said, if you decide to get one you don't need to go for an expensive model - all that really matters is the wattage(don't even worry about the size unless you have freakishly huge food containers). Lower wattages are cheaper, but take longer to heat food. I actually prefer a slightly lower wattage since it heats more evenly, but your milage may vary. Pick the cheapest model you see that isn't full of "died in 2 weeks :(" reviews on Amazon and go.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also consider that you won't be at your new place forever. Many apartments are carpeted, and a vacuum that's adequate for an area rug may not be good enough for an entire apartment's worth of carpet. I use this and it works pretty well for a carpeted 1br place, although I've had it less than a year so no comments on its longetivity.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

an skeleton posted:

Other than that, I guess, do you think it is better to live in an apartment for 440 a month, but I have to furnish it, or a pre-furnished house for 525 (that may not be furnished in exactly the way I like, but will sure as hell have a bigger bed than my current twin size bed that I've had since high school.)
You'd be spending an extra $1020 over the course of one year in the pre-furnished apartment, and you won't have any furniture to bring with you to your next place. You can furnish a college place for much less than that - the key is not being picky. You're in college, poo poo will happen(as will vomit, and blood, and unidentified body fluids), nice stuff is a liability. As far as I can tell, that house offers no advantage to you other than letting you put off some furniture buying(and avoiding the vague risk of an international roommate, but you're taking a risk with any roomie you don't know beforehand).

Get temporary stuff for while you're in school, then when you graduate and get your first non-college place, you can spend a few months picking out nicer furniture. Taking the furnished place means that you'll be furnishing your next apartment in a hurry, which is a recipe for overspending on stuff you won't like as much as what you'd have bought under normal circumstances.

You said you have a relative offering to buy & ship a bed for you; do you have any other relatives who could help with furnishing a place? 90% of the furniture in my college apartment was hand-me-downs from my roommate's & my own family. An old patio set(ie. our table+chairs for the dining room), bookshelves, a recliner, dressers - a bunch of stuff they didn't want anymore, but it was perfectly usable for us. It didn't look fancy, and it didn't match, but nobody's going to give a poo poo about that while you're in school.

Anything you don't get from that you can get off craigslist - a surprising amount of stuff is offered for free, and the rest is pretty damned cheap. Just try to stick to things that aren't upholstered unless you feel like playing bedbug roulette.

quote:

I will be going to see the apartment and a couple of rooms next Saturday, what should I be looking for?
-You said you're in Texas, so I'd check to see what the AC situation is like. Window units are what you'll usually find in apartments. Some places will only have one - in this case, having it in the bedroom is a huge plus. Having one in the bedroom and one in the living room is even better, but it's easier to deal with being hot during the day than when you're trying to sleep. Ceiling fans are also nice, but not as essential since you can buy your own fans.
-Look to see how well maintained their stuff is. Flick on lights, turn on faucets, see how easily every door and window opens and shuts. Don't run screaming if one or two things are slightly shoddy, but major problems ought to ring alarm bells in your mind. If they can't get their place up to snuff when they're trying to sell it to you, how well will they respond to maintenance requests after you sign the lease?
-Carpet vs hard floor. Carpet is a bitch and a half to clean, but it's also extremely common. Any sort of hard floor will be easier to clean & make it harder for the landlord to get a chunk of your security deposit, but it's also harder to find.
-Take a good, hard look at the kitchen. Layout issues in other rooms are relatively easy to get around, but a poorly set up kitchen can be a nightmare. Is there enough counter space to hold all your poo poo while you're cooking? Where will your microwave end up? How much cupboard space is there? Did some dumbass put the oven right next to the fridge?
-Talk to the people living in the building, if possible. They can shed light on issues that won't become apparent until you're actually living there. Are there cockroaches? Is the landlord hard to work with if issues arise? Do the people above you blare loud music every night?
-Is there laundry on site? You do not want to be stuck hauling laundry to and from a laundromat every week. You'll also want to see how many machines they have - it'll take more than one or two washers to handle an entire apartment complex full of college students.
-If you'll be bringing a car down, make sure you see what the parking is like. Are there assigned spots? Is it a free-for-all(if it is, how big is the lot)? How much does it cost? What are the policies for guest parking, particularly overnight guests?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Stuntcat posted:

On that note, is it normal for a load of laundry to cost like...4 dollars? That seems ridiculous to me, but...yeah. 2.25 for the wash, 1.75 for the dry in my apartment.
It probably varies by region, but here it costs $1.50 a wash/$1.50 a dry, and my last apartment cost $1.25 a wash/$1.75 a dry(so $3 total either way). Get a drying rack, it'll be your best friend for reducing laundry costs. It's also gentler on your clothes, so they'll last longer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If I was in your shoes I'd get a room at an extended stay hotel when you get there for a month or so to use as a home base while you house hunt. It'll buy you more time to find a good place instead of trying to find a move in ready place in less than a week.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. If nothing else, you'll have time to figure out what the good and bad parts of town are, and you won't be moving into a place sight unseen. The hotel will cost more than getting an apartment right away, but it's better than paying for a place you hate because you rushed the apartment-hunting process.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Yeah, Corelle is great. They even have plain white for people who care about how classy their dishes look. (I'm not really sure what makes dishes "classy" beyond having traditional colors/patterns, but I never claimed to be a classy person :v:) They also have a bunch of square dish sets thanks to that fad going around; I can take or leave the plates, but square bowls are the best.

Corelle's made by the same people behind Corningware, which is also the best. You can heat it in the oven, on the stovetop(although apparently some of the newer Corningware they sell isn't stovetop safe), and in the microwave, and whatever they make it out of is damned near invincible. The only reason I still have my lovely plastic food containers is that Corningware is too heavy to haul back and forth every day.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Loot posted:

I'm looking at possible apartments right now and while my town is known for very inexpensive living rates, I found an ad in the local paper for a 1-bedroom apartment with all utilities for $345. I have to admit, that's rather suspicious so I'm going to call next week. Not sure what to expect for this price (Possibly no furnishings, no AC/heating, the possibilities are endless!). Probably helps to note that there is no address listed, I only saw an address by Googling the phone number and turning up newspaper scans from last April.

Otherwise, anything I should look for that's an acceptable price range? The only other thing I'm seeing right away is a $450 efficiency with all utilities paid, not sure about a place with a roommate yet.
I'd look around on various apartment listing sites to get a general feel for rent ranges in the apartment size you're looking for - 1 bedroom should be fine for one person with no roommate, studio is doable too if you can keep yourself from accumulating a bunch of crap. If your area has those free for-rent catalogs(you'll usually see them in the front of grocery stores/gas stations/other places where free advertising flyers hang out), those help too. Most apartment complexes will list online, but having more places to look can't hurt.

Anything notably higher or lower than average should arouse suspicion unless there's a very good reason for the price difference(ex. you might accept a more expensive place if you get a dishwasher, there's in-unit washer/dryer, you get a covered parking space, or if it has one of many other things that are nice to have but aren't standard). Included utilites are nice, but the only one I'd really worry about is heat since it's by far the most expensive. Even the increased electricity bills from running AC are managable if you're willing to use fans most of the time and only bust out the AC when it's really hot.

That $345 place would raise alarm bells for me, if only because it doesn't actually tell you where it is. I'd also be suspicious if you couldn't find out any more info about it after tracking down the address.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thanatosian posted:

Honestly, get a hella cheapass futon from IKEA.

Odds are, whatever you get is gonna get the poo poo beat out of it, anyhow, and you're probably going to be moving again in a year or two; nice to have something you can just not give a poo poo about and throw away for when you move into a nicer place. Plus, the extra couple hundred dollars you will save can be added to your financial cushion.
Yeah, just go for cheap poo poo at first unless someone else is footing the bill. Nobody expects someone just starting on their own to have nice stuff. After a few years, you'll have the money for nicer furniture, and you'll have a better idea what you actually want from your stuff.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

cheerfullydrab posted:

Here is a question I want to ask of a lot of you. What, specifically, is the reason that you have bought into Ikea? I have nothing but awful horrible bad memories of the store/company, from the age of 6 or 7 to the present time. I don't know why this thread cheerleads for their furniture so much. I'm not asking a rhetorical question, I'd actually like to know.
It's cheap, it's easy to assemble and disassemble(the latter being incredibly useful for moving), it comes in nice clean modern styles and in more traditional styles, and the quality is reasonable for the price. As far as I've seen, the worst part is trying to decipher the pictogram instructions.

It's not the highest class furniture around, but it's more than usable for the 20-somethings that make up most of this thread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Ashcans posted:

I'm trying to work out some stuff with our electric bill, and it would be kind of useful to know where most people fall. We have a 2 bedroom apartment with gas heat, hot water, and oven. So the electric is only doing duty on our appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, computer) and other standard stuff. As of 11/5 we were using 14.6kWh a day, and that seems kind of high to me (and, the reason for my concern, is that it's up from 13.5kWh last month and 8.2kWh last year. Does anyone know their use to give me a comparison?

We have had some meaningful changes since last year - new computer, new microwave, and our kid is bigger so I suspect we're doing more laundry - but I can't work out why it jumped from just last month.
I use roughly 6kWh(sometimes creeping up to 8kWh if I have the AC on constantly) a day, but I'm in a 1bd where the only major appliances are my fridge, microwave, electric stove/oven, and computer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ladyweapon posted:

Not sure where else to ask, but since were on the topic of keeping costs down: are electric blankets worth the cost vs jacking up the heat? I keep it about 65 (according to the dial at least) in my apartment at all times, but it's dropping to the low thirties at night and I'd like to not end up with a $200 electric bill somehow. I also don't know how much an electric blanket would affect my bill, but I can't imagine it's much? What do people who live in actual cold weather do? I can handle being cold/layering up any other time except when I sleep. :saddowns:
Get a comforter or regular blanket; you're going to be freezing if you're using regular thin bedsheets in the winter. Warmer pajamas also help, and all of these should be easy to find since it's that time of year. I've lived in the frozen north(Wisconsin/Illinois) all my life, and getting an electric blanket has never even crossed my mind because it's so easy to keep warm just with thicker clothes and a blanket/comforter.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

terre packet posted:

I did laps in the apartment pool this morning and pretty much immediately afterwards got really sick (stomach cramps & diarrhea), my money's on there being some diarrhea bacteria in the pool. Would it be a good idea to let the apartment management office know when they reopen tomorrow? I don't know if they'll do anything about it like close the pool until the chlorine kills the bacteria but then again I don't want anyone else to go through the horrible day I had today.
You could let them know, but I have doubts that the pool was the cause if you got sick immediately after swimming. It's a similar principle to food poisoning - a lot of the time it's the fault of something you ate hours(sometimes even up to a few days!) earlier instead of what you just ate, since the bacteria take a while to do their thing. If you can find anyone else who got sick right after swimming I'd definitely look into it more, but it seems unlikely to me.

Communist Zombie posted:

Quick question, is it illegal (in Illinois) to deny someone an apartment if they dont meet a specified monthly income? Because Ive found several good ones but theyve required all applicants to show proof of income being 2-3 times teh rent, which I cant really do as a college student.
It's legal. Landlords have a very reasonable interest in making sure tenants can actually pay the rent, and the law reflects that. (They're not allowed to discriminate on a whole bunch of factors, including source of income, but they definitely can discriminate on level of income) Get roommates, or get your parents to pay for it(they may have to co-sign your lease if you take this route). If you're looking in your college's immediate area, see where other students are renting - places geared towards them may have more lenient requirements.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ladyweapon posted:

If the deal was good enough, you could rent a pick up from u-haul? They were always like $20 for local moves, but maybe that's changed. Maybe look into small businesses in your area for good craftsmanship, they tend to be more accommodating about delivery in my experience.
Hardware stores may have pickups you can rent too. I know Home Depot tends to have a couple in the parking lot whenever I pass by.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

FISHMANPET posted:

Where's a good place to find a Microwave? I need a new one and I've looked at Target, Home Depot, and Menards (regional home improvement store) and they have like 3 or 4 microwaves in store. If I went to an appliance store would I have more selection? I see Best Buy has a ton apparently in stock too, maybe that's a better choice?
You might get more selection from a place that specializes in kitchen stuff, or at least has a bigger kitchen section than Target/etc. Macy's comes to mind. Sears too, surprisingly. (They actually have 10+ microwaves in each of the stores near me, according to their site. The downside is that you have to be inside a Sears.)

But unless you need a microwave immediately, I'd just shop online for one. Better selection, reasonable prices(and free shipping depending on where you buy from), not having to be inside a Best Buy or Sears. It's win-win.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

AuntBuck posted:

In my opinion top load load washers with an agitator just do a better job. I'd avoid a front load washer.
Counter opinion: The front load washers I've used have cleaned stuff just fine, and you don't have to worry about balancing the load(mostly an issue with bedding and towels and such, where you only have a few bulky items in the wash). They're also more efficient and less damaging to your clothes.

That said they're also more expensive, which may or may not be worth it for a house rental.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Alder posted:

Waffling if I should buy a bed/mattress or not. On one hand I dislike sleeping on the floor but beds are expensive and a challenge to move. Perhaps a Japanese futon?

I already decided to buy a desk and chair. The floors are hardwood so it'd be a pain. Yet the cheapest costco matress is $399.
Mattresses are expensive, but last long enough that the cost isn't that bad over time. You don't need a fancy frame with a huge headboard and all that(which makes the bed more expensive and a lot more annoying to move - in my experience, moving the mattress itself isn't that bad). You should be able to get a basic, purely functional frame thrown in for free(or close to it) when you buy the mattress.

If you're still not convinced, you could get a couch. Or an air mattress. Either one would be cheaper than a bed, easier to move, and better than sleeping on the floor. If you go the couch route, get a normal couch, not one with a hide-a-bed. Hide-a-beds are heavy as gently caress and the bed part isn't all that comfortable.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Alder posted:

Hmmm I've seen the basic bed frame but I was worried if it's heavy or not. Almost forgot air mattresses will look around for that too.

Fwiw, I've always stayed in dorms so I've never really considered furnishings until now. I have space but I'm mostly concerned with how to get things from one place to another w/o too many expenses.

Would you say drawers are more useful vs closets? The room has two closets. I could store clothes in my suitcase/floor but it might get wrinkly. I thought about carrying a chair/desk to Queens on the subway but not sure how I'd be received.

I guess I could order via NJ Ikea too.
Basic bed frames are light, and they should disassemble enough that they're not too awkward to move.

Does either closet have a rod to put clothes hangers on? Those are easy to move(shove 'em all in a box or bag, done), cheap(possibly free if you find some on craigslist/freecycle/etc), and keep things relatively wrinkle-free. I've never been a fan of dressers for shirts, but I'd say they're handier for everything else.

The problem with moving an already-assembled dresser is that they're awkward to move with the drawers in, but taking the drawers out turns the move into multiple trips. Depending on how many clothes you care about keeping wrinkle-free, I'd probably just go the hanger route & not worry about getting a dresser until everything settles down.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

photomikey posted:

I politely disagree with the previous poster who said a while list of credit functions don't affect credit history.

I assume you mean this:

Anne Whateley posted:

Cell phones, car insurance, checking accounts, debit accounts, utility bills, etc., don't establish or help your credit history. If any of those go to collections, obviously that hurts you, but if you pay them normally, they don't do anything.
But none of the listed things are credit functions*, and will only be reported as a negative(collections, past due, etc). There may be a report you use that lists them(I wouldn't be surprised if there was, and it was causing all this confusion in the first place), but then it's not a credit report. If you don't believe me, pull your own credit report and see if any of that's on there.

*Except some utility bills. A few companies report all payment histories, but most only report negatives.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Spikes32 posted:

A place I'm looking at had a reservation fee that will be rolled into either the deposit or first months rent. It was not clear which in the ad. What kind of form is normally signed to make sure I'm not just giving a stranger money in case the landlord doesn't end up giving me the lease? I'm in California if you have specific knowledge.
The places I've rented had that as part of the "these are all your wonderful fees" paperwork you sign. It should include specifics of what's due when & what you get back if your application is rejected.

(Disclaimer: Experience is from Wisconsin & Illinois and not California)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

EugeneJ posted:

Any recommendations for compact washers and dryers? I have a small studio with no hookups, so the washer would have to be connected to my sink and the dryer would have to vent out a window. I want an automatic washer, so a Twin Tub is out of the question.

Amazon has off-brands like Panda and Haier that seem to have decent reviews. Home Depot has Magic Chef washers and dryers for around $200/each that seem decent. Just wondering if anyone here has first-hand experience with any.
My recommendation for a compact dryer is a drying rack. The only things that are really worth putting in a dryer are bedding and towels, and neither of those is going fit in a compact dryer. (maybe towels, but they're not going to dry so well even if they fit)

I'm a fan of the wood one I have(similar to this), but any sturdy drying rack will do. And you do want it to be sturdy & large enough for one load of laundry, otherwise you'll hate yourself in a few months.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

photomikey posted:

I would throw any percentage numbers out the window and look at a budget of the last 12 months with real numbers. Everything else varies so wildly that a fixed "30% is the right number" rule would never work for any significant part of the population. If you are making $35k/yr and have a $300/mo car payment, that is literally 10% of your income. If you make the same $35k/yr and have no car payment, under any general rule, you'd be "supposed to" spend the same amount on housing, even though your disposable income is 10% more than the guy with the car payment. This same thing is true across every budget category. If you like ramen noodles and tap water, you have a different budget than a guy who likes going out for sushi several times a week.

Cross-reference this with your goals. If your goal is "save as much money as possible to go to Europe next year", spend less than 30%. If your goal is "get a baller apartment and impress my parents", spend more than 30%.

Find an apartment you can live with, find out what it costs, if you can pay for it, pay for everything else, and save a few bucks... rent on.
That said, most people have trouble fitting everything they want and their other bills and a good amount of savings into a budget where 50+% of their income is spent on rent. 40% is doable, but potentially iffy depending on the rest of your budget. (Or the only realistic possibility if you're in a city, don't want a roommate, and aren't making big bucks)

I wouldn't go much higher than 40% of your income on rent unless you're willing to live like a spartan hermit, is what I'm trying to say here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We haven't, actually. But all of our neighbors are retirees with nothing better to do than look out their windows (we get swarmed by them checking in on us every time we go outside) so we'd know immediately if someone was snooping around. And like I said nothing has happened in the past 5 months so we let our guard down.
Could be one of the retirees snooping around. Creepiness has no age limiter.

Or it could be meat drippings, but that's the boring answer. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The technical term is sous vide.

(Completely missed that it was in a laundry room. :downs)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Good news: Not having a car gives you more wiggle room with housing costs. Bad news: I'm not sure more convenient transit is worth an extra 20% of your income.

If the cheaper apartment isn't an insane commute(>30-40 minutes) away from your school, you should probably go with that. Learning your way around a new bus system sucks, but it's going to happen no matter which apartment you pick.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Guy Axlerod posted:

Use caution when starting, like when making a right-on-red. You may not have traction. If your car has traction control, cool. It will help you not spin your wheels, but it's not a silver bullet. All it does is back off your throttle when your wheels spin.
On this note: Changing speed or turning. Pick one, because trying to do both is how you lose traction.The harder you brake or the more you try to accelerate, the harder it is to keep traction. Brake before turns or sharp curves, not during them. If you have to turn from a stop, take it carefully.

Avoiding sudden speed or direction changes describes most winter driving tips, honestly. Making abrupt corrections when your car starts sliding can make things worse. Braking takes longer, and you want to avoid coming to a complete stop if you can help it.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

There shouldn't be significant snow anywhere in October. You'll be fine.
But realistically, this. Any snow Wisconsin & nearby states get that early will be a light dusting, if they get any at all(I can't remember the last time I've seen snow up here before mid-November). Any snow they do get will melt quickly, or get plowed/salted away if it manages to accumulate.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You don't necessarily need the most expensive brands, but there's definite improvements in comfort & durability going from the cheapest chairs in the store to any of the better chairs. Worth it if you're going to be sitting in it often.

I have a Steelcase chair that's older than I am and still holding up(minus a reupholstering because the fabric was getting worn). Comfortable as hell, too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thumposaurus posted:

Looking for a new place to rent. Found a place close to my work, rent is within my budget.
I contact the landlord and they start giving me a bunch of lines about having to handle the documents signing, key trasfer via dhl/fedex, and rent via western union.
This is 100% a scam right?
Think of it this way: Even if it somehow wasn't a scam, you wouldn't want a landlord who's apparently incapable of accepting rent and signing documents in a normal way. It wouldn't speak well of how they'll handle other things, like maintenence requests.

(It's totally a scam though)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Drunk Tomato posted:

I moved out of an apartment back in November. The landlord lives out of state and so at her request we did a Skype walkthrough. I had lived there for five years and I took good care of the place. She asked for a bit more cleaning, which I did and then documented, i got and cashed my deposit back minus a few fees, and went happily on my way.

Today, I just got an email from my old landlord requesting money from me - $30 for "repairing a bedroom door" and $15 for replacing two light bulbs. Not a huge chunk of change, but I don't understand why she would be coming after me now for it. She also asked about a window shade I never had, and a balcony door lock that never worked (there is a lock on the door, but no hole in the frame. Did she think I filled in the hole???). I have no idea what bedroom door damage she is referring to.

Is there any legal obligation for me to pay this? Should I, even if not?
Scummy landlords know that most people won't bother fighting over such a small amount, which is why they pull poo poo like this. But that doesn't mean you should pay for something that's not your fault.

Even if state law isn't in your favor as far as the deadline goes, if you can prove the 'repairs' are unrelated to how you left the apartment(you took lots of pictures when you first moved in & before you left, right?), she has no grounds to demand money for them. If you can't, I'd ignore it like goku chewbacca said, and only pay it if she keeps pushing. (Or you could get a tenant lawyer if you felt like making a point, but you'd spend more than what she's demanding from you)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Correlle makes decent stuff. I have a set of their square plates and bowls & they hold up just fine. Depending on your eating habits, it might be worth buying a smaller set and buying extra small plates to complete it - I basically never use the 'dinner' plates because they're too loving huge relative to what I eat(although the 'bread and butter' plates in the set you linked are smaller than the ones in my set).

No comment on the glassware, but it's hard to go wrong with it as long as you don't cheap out too much & don't pick something with a busy pattern you'll get sick of in 5 years(same advice applies to dishware).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Human Tornada posted:

How come the majority of flatware dinnerware sets come with four of those dinky little mugs. Does anybody use those things?
I used them

to feel warm and fuzzy for two seconds about donating them to goodwill.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Is it a fire hazard? Is something in there attracting pests? If no, I say this isn't your mess to clean up.

That said, are there no maintenance people in your complex? In every place I've lived one would come through and vacuum the halls/throw out junk mail littering the mail area/etc every once in a while. The 'throw out junk mail' part was important because I've never lived somewhere where everyone took their mail inside their apartment and disposed of it like a normal person. If there was nobody picking up after the lazy people, eventually the junk mail situation would be as bad as it is at your place.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
In general you don't want to cheap out too hard on anything you'll be sitting or sleeping on regularly.

That aside, it's a good idea to sit on your chair of choice in person(if possible) before buying, and to do so for more than ten seconds. Reviews can tell you a lot but they can't guarantee a given chair will be comfortable for your specific posture & build.

(No specific recommendations from me, because my computer/office chair is a Steelcase chair older than I am & also probably costs more than $500 for a modern equivalent.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm super basic & have been happy with the Ektorp. It's comfortable & a good size(and durable, judging by the fact that mine's a former floor model that's held up with regular use), with the downside that it's going to be immediately identifiable as an ikea couch. Whether you care about that downside is up to you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Anne Whateley posted:

The sentence that stands out to me is "I've lived in the apartment for four years and the carpet was not new when I moved in." I would change that to something like "given the concern for mold and mildew from the incident in addition to 4-5 years of normal wear and tear, I'd appreciate an update to linoleum to bring the space in line with the other building units."
Seconding this.

Your building management is hopefully staffed with professionals who won't get into a tizzy because you dared to email them(although I'd personally do an in-person meeting because that's likely to get your concerns addressed faster, you know this management company better than we do), but keeping your tone as far from 'your poo poo sucks and I want you to make it not suck' as possible is always a good idea. That applies to both email and in-person interactions. "I'd appreciate ABC updates because of XYZ flood/wear and tear reasons" good, "this stuff was old and beat up when I moved in & the thing that broke was also old" bad.

Whatever your feelings are on that stuff, you're way more likely to get what you want if the management doesn't feel like you're trying to make them the villain. They're also as interested in avoiding mold/mildew problems as you are, which should help with the carpet issue if you take that angle.

e: Also, re: "Am I requesting things I have no right to request". What they have the legal obligation to give you is only semi-related to what they're willing to give you. The legal obligations are stuff they should be doing anyway, like keeping the place habitable and repairing stuff that breaks. Something like moving the living room furniture back is probably not legally required(I'm obviously not a lawyer and have no idea about PA's landlord-tenant laws), but it's an easy way to get your goodwill & doesn't cost them much, so they probably won't mind doing it. That shouldn't be your hill to die on, obviously, but as long as you keep your requests reasonable and directly related to the flooding, they should be willing to work with you.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 2, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

toplitzin posted:

Oh god the heat in the summer.
Lower heating bills in winter, though!

Washing machine thunderdomechat: I live right under the laundry room for my building. It actually works out well since washer/dryer noises are more bearable than random upstairs neighbor noises. The downside is that I get to be the canary in the coalmine whenever something fucks up and starts leaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've been in the same apartment for over 7 years and still occasionally get junk mail with previous resident names on it; certain senders will keep it up forever once an address is on their list. Just toss it.