Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

dirtyfrog posted:

Is there a good, reliable tool to backup Cydia tweaks that I have installed, or am I best to just scribble down and reinstall manually?

I successfully used AptBackup both on my iPhone 4S and my wife's iPad when upgrading to untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

randyest posted:

The app or the command line tool via ssh? I could never get any app backup tools to work properly, but the SSH/dpkg method in the OP always works.

I didn't even know the command line was an option. I just used the app.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Zodium posted:

I'm loving my new iPad, but I'm going crazy without Swype. I know there's an app called iSwipe on Cydia for jailbroken devices, but I can't find any recent reviews of it, and some of the old ones state that it only works for Apple apps like Notes that I never use. This is really the only reason I'd want to JB my iPad, does anyone have any experience with it?

Would SwipeSelection more or less be the same thing as Swype? I have that on both my iPad and iPhone. It works with anything the keyboard pops up for.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
If I have a jailbroken 4S on 5.1.1, do I need to unjailbreak it before unlocking? For that matter, will I have to re-jailbreak it after unlocking?

Christoff posted:

I just submit my request. So we'll see.

I submitted a request a couple of days ago and just got a denial email today. I upgraded to a 4S earlier this year, so I guess they're sticking by their policy of not unlocking folks under contract still.

I guess I'm going the eBay unlock route.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
It's not illegal to unlock your cellphone in the US. The unlocking services I skimmed only mentioned blacklisted phones to say those aren't always unlockable. My phone isn't blacklisted: I just want to be able to slap a different SIM in and have use of it when going abroad.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
How does unlocking a Sprint iPhone 4S work? Is it the same process as the AT&T unlock? I ask because I came across a couple of pages that mentioned inserting a new SIM in as part of the process, which implies the person already has a foreign provider's SIM with which to do so. I remember not needing to do anything with the SIM for my AT&T phone, though.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

cryptoclastic posted:

So I just called and had my iPhone 4 unlocked by my old provider, as I'm going to be travelling in America and want to be able to get a sim to use while I'm there. Right now I'm jailbroken on 5.1.1, but from what I've read when it gets finalized I'll have to do a restore to finalize the unlock. Is there anything I'll be able to do to make sure I don't lose my jailbreak? I think I have the blobs saved somewhere, if that matters.

Basically, how do I unlock/restore my phone and still keep my jailbreak?

I used this method (no restore necessary) and it worked perfectly fine: http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/23/unlock-any-iphone-4s-iphone-iphone-3gs-using-sam/

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I'm okay to make the move from jailbroken 5.1 to jailbroken 6.1 without any risk of losing the factory unlock, right? This is an iPhone 4S.

Edit: Never mind, got my answer when iTunes told me "Congratulations, you're unlocked" during my restore.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 6, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I made the switch to iOS 7 and jailbroke my 4S tonight. And now I can't get the native Mail app to work. When I tap it, I get a white screen and then am kicked back to the home screen.

I used PKGBackup to restore the few JB'ed apps that are iOS 7 compatible. Other than that, I didn't do anything weird. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how I might be able to fix this short of restoring my phone and re-jailbreaking it?

I'm also not seeing any BiteSMS integration, for what that's worth.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

gramlock posted:

I don't know about that but it has been the most hassle free jailbreak I've ever done and I'm loving ios7 with some added compatible tweaks.

Wish I could say the same, but after redoing the full restore and JB process, it's working fine. For some reason, a lot of my App Store apps weren't installed right and had to be reinstalled.

I don't know... I miss a lot of my tweaks. Working SwipeSelection, Intelliscreen, Celeste, Activator, and BiteSMS made my iPhone so much better. But I do like stuff like the more Android style of closing programs.

gramlock posted:

Anyone know why bitesms keeps instantly crashing whenever I try to open it?

For that matter, has anyone got it to integrate with or replace the native messaging app?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

tonic posted:

Looks like there was a beta available for iOS7 that just got pulled: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/12/27/bitesms-beta-now-available-for-ios-7/ .

Pity I didn't grab the beta in time, but at least it looks like I won't have to wait too much longer.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

tonic posted:

Same here. I think MobileSubstrate has to be fixed before we can use it. There is some info on how to fix it here: http://forums.bitesms.com/forums/6/topics/6711 . Apparently doesn't work on A7 processors though :argh:

This is making me lean more and more toward a 5C instead of 5S if I decide to upgrade anytime soon. Though I guess that'd be a moot point if the leaked exploit has derailed any hope of a 7.1 jailbreak anytime soon.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
How likely is AT&T to notice someone using TetherMe or something similar? I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan. :ohdear:

Also, does Zeppelin have an option to change the carrier text to your network's name? The app I used to rely on isn't working on iOS 7.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Probably never. This would just be if I'm stuck at an in-law's without internet for a night or two, or the rare time I get an internet outage. Even then, I'd mostly use it to read the forums and catch up on news and other non-bandwidth hogging stuff.

So I guess I'll at least download TetherMe if an iOS 7 version is out.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
This is what I did:
1. Downloaded the evasion JB file.
2. Made sure I had the most current version of iTunes on my Mac (would have done the same if I used my PC for the jailbreak).
3. After connecting my device, I downloaded but did not install the iOS 7.0.4 update.
4. Did a full back-up of my device (stored on computer, not iCloud).
5. Used iTunes to do a full restore so iOS7 would be installed on a blank phone.
6. At the prompt, I chose to restore from the backup I just made.
7. Went through the device's set-up screens.
8. Disconnected the device.
9. Ran the evasion JB file and reconnected my device when prompted.
10. Sat back and read for a bit while the jailbreak magic happened, following the directions as they appeared.
11. Went through the device's set-up screens again.
12. Gnashed my teeth when I realized how few of my iOS 6 jailbreak apps have been updated.

This was for my iPhone 4S, by the way. Haven't done my third gen iPad yet.

Edit: Oh, also I used PKGBackup to backup everything, JB and otherwise, to a cloud account. I forgot about using Appinfo to email my list of apps and completely spaced on the fact I have iFunbox and could have just saved everything locally.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Nask26 posted:

Infinidock seems to work just fine on my 5s 7.04. I installed it and then immediately it upgraded to another version and I have my 5 icon dock.

Woo-hoo, one more of my most missed tweaks to cross off the list. It even put my icons back in the order I wanted.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Has anyone else had any trouble getting HiddenSettings7 to work? I downloaded and installed it, yet no option to tweak settings appears on my control center.

Also:

mewse posted:

Agreed, that's why browser addons like adblock are illegal

Bullshit. That's an argument advertisers may be pushing, but just like the film and music industry mislead and outright lie about fair use, the illegality of internet ad blocking programs exists only as a PR campaign, not actually decided legal principle.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

BrainDance posted:

I think it was a joke. Like, saying how it's fine because it's pretty much just the same thing as an adblocker.

Oops. Never mind!

spongeworthy posted:

Is your CydiaSubstrate up to date? If so, try reinstalling it again

It should be. The version on my 4S is 0.9.5 and I haven't had any new update notices for it in Cydia. I have RocketBootstrap as well.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I think I know the answer to this question, but just in case: is there any way to update my iPad to iOS 7 without updating my PC to the most current iteration of iTunes? I really hate how the current iTunes on my MacBook handles podcasts and layouts in general, so would prefer to stick with iTunes 10 on my PC. But I don't have enough room to backup my iPad on my laptop, so can't just use that to upgrade.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Switched.on posted:

Can't you make a backup of your iPad on your PC, then sync your ipad over on your laptop, then upgrade/jailbreak it and restore from the image over the network maybe? Or try a thumb drive or something, it's really trivial to move a backup once it's been made so you don't NEED to store them on the laptop once you've made them.

I did make a backup on the PC, but I didn't know if doing the full erase and upgrade on new iTunes/my MacBook would cause any difficulty if I then try to restore on my PC with the old iTunes.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Unicorn Vomit posted:

Sorry if this was mentioned in the thread already, but are there any reliable 3rd party unlocks or are they all scams?

I found my unlock via an eBay seller. It worked: my iPhone is now for all intents and purposes factory unlocked. (One more reason I'm hesitant to get a new phone, though I guess I can keep it to just use for international travel.)

Of course, I did this in 2012 before it became illegal in the United States. I don't know if it's more expensive now or whether you'd actually get in trouble if you did it now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
So I tried to uninstall HiddenSettings7 since I just can't get it to work on my iPhone 4S. And now my phone is on an endless boot loop.

How do I get it to stop? Am I going to have to restore and rejailbreak?

Edit: Okay, the simultaneous sleep and home button press finally worked. But now I'm stuck in safe mode. I think: I don't have the usual Safe Mode notification at the top, but apart from Cydia, all my jailbroken apps are gone. Or did I somehow unjailbreak?

Any idea what I should do next?

Edit PArt 2: And now it's just stuck in an endless boot loop no matter what I do. The sleep/home button combo just turn it off. The volume up button during boot doesn't do anything either.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 14, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Sunblood posted:

Restore with iTunes and re-jailbreak. Something you installed is incompatible with your phone.

Huh, this is weird. I connected it to my Mac, fired up iTunes, and after the iPhone rebooted, it automatically synced and then booted normally. I was able to get into Cydia and uninstall the offending app, then reboot again and it's working fine again without restoring or rejailbreaking.

I really do not understand iDevices as well as I would like. Guess I'll just be glad it's working now and make a more current backup.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Due to my refusing to update iTunes on my desktop with tons of storage (I like my podcasts to be organized exactly as I have them, what can I say?) and my laptops having weeny amounts of storage, I wound up not being able to restore my iPad from the backup I barely fit on my aging PC laptop's drive. I didn't know it would consume what was left in the restoration process.

I wound up restoring via iCloud. My iPad is currently downloading all of its former (non-JB) apps. My question is whether restoring this way will make any difference when I jailbreak it(other than taking much longer than restoring from iTunes would have been). I'm planning to use my MacBook Air to do the actual JB if that matters.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I tried using an external hard drive. I couldn't get iTunes to restore from it and I didn't have enough I could transfer from the laptop to free up enough space. If there is a trick to making iTunes restore from an external HDD, that would be fantastic, but I didn't have luck finding one.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Grrr... managed to transfer the backup to a hard drive and onto my desktop PC (loads more space, no worry about running out during the restore). And now that I've re-wiped and restored the iPad, iTunes won't get past the Welcome To Your New iPad screen. I can only set up a new iPad or re-restore it from the backup I just finished restoring from.

The iPad itself works, but none of my apps are on it except the stock ones.

This is so drat frustrating. Was there something else I was supposed to copy from the laptop other than the MobileSync folder?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I don't know about the 4, but on my 4S at least, iOS 7 runs fine. I'm sure it would be even better on a newer gen iPhone, but honestly, I just don't see the need right now.

On another note, has anyone noticed their iPad battery draining more quickly under iOS 7? My 3rd gen seems to eat up more power than it did before the upgrade. Not catastrophically moreso, but still noticeably.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I skimmed the last few pages and didn't see this asked.
Has there been anyway to downgrade an ios 7.0 and above device to ios 6?

I miss my jailbroken ipad 3 and updated it by accident months ago, for reference its stuck at 7.0.2

I believe only the iPhone 4 can be downgraded, and even then, it's tricky. Newer iPhones and all iPads are out of luck.

That said, let me echo Klungar: why not upgrade to 7.0.4 and jailbreak? I had a third gen iPad on iOS 6, too, and while I had some trouble jailbreaking it (purely my own stupidity, recorded earlier in this thread), I don't really miss the iOS 6 environment anymore.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

yamdankee posted:

Huge problem, and I think I'm probably hopeless:

I have an iPhone 4S on 6.0.1 that I jailbroke in the middle of last year. I tried restoring it to unjailbreak and upgrade to iOS7, I keep getting error 3194 in iTunes when I try to restore or upgrade to 7. I've read all over and they say you can make a special ipsw using the SHSH blobs. Well I don't have them and tinyumbrella says I can't get them. I restored a backup from before it was jailbroken and I still can't get it to restore. My final try here was restoring in DFU mode after restoring to the old pre-jailbreak backup, and now it gave me error 11.

Is there any way to get this back to stock/fresh iOS7? Or is it stuck on 6.0.1 forever?

Did you try editing your hosts file and removing the gs.apple entry?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

yamdankee posted:

No firewall, latest iTunes.

I remember reading that version 11.1 does some new verification procedure when restoring, which has caused people problems when upgrading. You could try installing an 11.0.x version of iTunes on one of your computers, download the firmware manually as Denim Dude suggested, and give that a go. Probably wouldn't hurt to try his advice on creating a new hosts file as well.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Check the phone's IMEI somewhere like http://www.imei.info/ and you'll see whether it's really factory unlocked.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Is there an app to give a download percentage when updating apps? I used AppCent on iOS 6, but that doesn't seem to work in iOS 7.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Perfect, thanks!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I used PKGBackup and had some success with it restoring my iPhone apps. This was before most of the apps were updated to iOS 7 compatibility, though, so I'm not surprised a lot of them didn't cross over.

It plain didn't work at all when I tried to restore apps on my iPad later, though, and most of my apps were updated already. I wound up using my Appinfo data to manually restore most of my repos and Cydia apps.

So my takeaway is that it doesn't hurt to use PKGBackup, but I definitely wouldn't rely on it alone.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Would installing SSLPatch plug the security issue enough or is the update really the only way to go? I get that the tweak doesn't help apps that run as root, so is it worth it?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Yeah, that's probably for the best. I installed it as a temporary fix until I do the whole backup/update/restore/jailbreak/download all my jailbroken apps again procedure tonight.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Bouchacha posted:

How does this work?

I re-jailbroke my iPad, but didn't go the full DFU mode. I just did the normal iTunes backup, full restore to latest update, and then ran Evasion. My Cydia apps all remembered their settings when I downloaded them again.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
That explains a lot. When I redownloaded InfiniDock, all my icons went back to their original order and custom folders.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Klowns posted:

I did get a warning message that an older icon layout was found and it asked if I wanted to use it, I clicked hell no and deleted it. I did have to recreate one of my folder-in-folder but I'm guessing because it only had Cydia apps in it, my other one that had a few normal apps was recreated.

That option sprung up for me, too, and I picked yes. Everything was back in its proper place pre-re-restore/update/jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

yamdankee posted:

then restore your phone through iTunes with the latest (jailbreakable) iOS which is still 7.0.4.

The Evasion jailbreak works for 7.0.6.

• Locked thread