Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

One thing that was asked enough to probably be worth mentioning is whether or not you can sync with iTunes normally after jailbreaking. (Answer:yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pertplus posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I installed A theme with winterboard and now my icons are bunched up. How would I go about fixing this on a 2ng gen touch? I have already tried deselecting "transparent dock" in Winterboard as has been suggested in other forums.

This was in the OP of the old thread, but I guess it didn't make it into the new one:

quote:

When I put a theme on, my dock icons move up a lot and everything looks squished together!

This is a somewhat unfortunate, but intended, change to Winterboard for iOS 4. I confirmed with Saurik directly, Winterboard now respects the size of the dock background image in applied themes. In the short term, I've done a workaround by resizing the dock background to a height of approximately 45px, which makes it look normal to me, and then transferred that over to my phone. The only theme I've run into with that on personally is Glasklart, and I have requested that the designer correct that in his uploaded version. Any themes that have this same problem will need to be corrected by their maintainer, or you can replace their included dock image with a 45px height version. http://forums.somethingawful.com/at...ostid=378842093 is a transparent dock background. You'll need to name the file SBDockBG.png, with exactly that capitalization. For Glasklart, it would go in /Library/Themes/Glasklart GUI.theme/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/

This is a known issue with themes designed for iOS versions older than iOS 4, and some themes designed for pre-iPhone 4 models. Get different themes, newer versions, or modify the files to be the right resolution and position. There's really not another good answer.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Besides the fact that he doesn't use digits in his handle (comex), he's actually been one of the most straightforward and helpful jailbreak developers in the scene, and he's already dropped two great jailbreaks with a lot of potential for the iPad2 one as well. He's talented, and hasn't actually done anything to deserve the reputation you're trying to give him here.

Yeah, Spirit and then JailbreakMe were my first jailbreaks, and they were both incredibly easy. The subsequent jailbreaks haven't been difficult, but they weren't nearly as straightforward. Comex spoiled me with those two. I've kinda tuned out all the scene drama over the past six to eight months with this stuff, but I don't remember Comex ever being bad about it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Iirc apple can't say anything about jail broken phones anymore, right? Or is it just legal but you void warranty? Also is that worldwide or just US?
It's definitely considered legal now but Apple doesn't need to support it if they don't want to, so effectively nothing changed. And that is US only.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Wow. Comex consistently makes the easiest jailbreaks. I wish they all were like this.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Richman777 posted:

But why? Just use redsn0w or pwnagetool? I mean it's not like there's NOT an alternative out there....

Because it's easier? Why would you use redsn0w or pwnagetool when you have Jailbreakme as an option?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Percy Teatwillow posted:

I jailbroke my 4s last night running 5.0.1 and I've noticed that songs I've purchased from iTunes will no longer play. Is anyone else having this problem?
Are you using iTunes Match? I've found that since jailbreaking I've had to delete and redownload any songs that were on my phone before the jailbreak to get them to play.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

eiddetham posted:

I'm new to jailbreaking, so please excuse my ignorance. I just jailbroke my iphone 4S yesterday and I noticed that my wifi has become almost uselessly slow. Most notably, downloading apps or podcasts that used to take a minute and a half to two at the most, are now taking like 45 minutes or timing out completely. I had to turn wifi off and switch to 3g while at home.

The only apps I downloaded from the Cydia store are MyWi 5.0 and 3g Unrestrictor. Has anyone heard of this problem and know of a fix?
This is happening with me on my work wifi ever since I jailbroke. I've jailbroken several times before and never had this problem. The timing could still be a coincidence though. Oh and I don't have MyWi or 3G Unrestrictor installed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sometimes it seems like you're the only person interested in getting this stuff to work correctly, and that's a real shame.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

I dont know if you ever resolved this issue, but I'm having the exact same problem. Awful app shows me logged in as just a blank space, and using safari it will log in then after the GLUUEE screen I'm logged out.

I'm almost positive this started after I installed Siriport. Dunno if that helps but I hope someone knows what's up.

This isn't a jailbreak issue. I'm not jailbroken and I had this issue a few days ago. It went away for me after about a day and a half though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It clearly sounds like an issue with the case, but to be fair, it sounds like he only realized the battery case stuff after getting the two replacements.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Even though serious loving money is being made on this stuff, the flaws & bugs in programs like WinterBoard and uicache (both written and provided by Saurik himself) haven't had many updates - *ever*.

WinterBoard has caused problems with iAd since the iOS 4.x days (saurik says he doesn't know how to fix it). Other bugs with WinterBoard he claimed he didn't even know existed (ie: he doesn't even run his own stuff). I don't know if uicache has ever been updated, but it's clear it's been loving broken on iOS 5.x, which is going on a *year* old now.

This is the kind of thing that sort of put me off jailbreaking. There are some great developers writing some great software for jailbroken phones, and most of them are very responsive to bugs/issues/suggestions/etc., but some of the core software that you can't really avoid if you jailbreak causes the most issues, and seems to see the least development. WinterBoard has been notoriously buggy since iOS4. Activator causes issues with the home button. iBooks breaks. White icons appear. Cydia (while better than it used to be) is still slow. I just don't see how so many of these things can still be issues after so long.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ZoDiAC_ posted:

There's not really any reasons not to jailbreak.

This is just as ridiculous as saying that there's no reason to jailbreak. There are benefits and drawbacks to both, and neither approach is better for everybody.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

The status bar clock is useful in applications, and is tiny so it doesn't serve the same purpose as a larger clock on the lock screen for quick viewing. Do you disable the clock in the Windows taskbar, OS X menu bar or whatever you use, just in case you have another clock visible on the screen at some point?

But nobody is saying he should hide something that's there by default, because there is no clock in the status bar of the default lock screen. He's already hiding the default clock, and replacing it with two more clocks. Honestly the two clocks didn't bother me (it's not even the worst custom lockscreen posted on that page), but this analogy doesn't make sense.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NZP posted:

Is there any tweak that will allow you to switch off the 'tap to tweet/post' button on the notification centre? Using LockInfo 5 btw.

Settings > Notifications > Share Widget > Off

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

The developer's response? "This is the expected behavior" ... Um, nope.

This seems like a recurring theme with you and jailbreak devs.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

No literally all your posts about jailbreak problems are you talking with the devs and butting heads with them.

I love Activator.

This is what I meant, except that I'm much more sympathetic to your position. The stuff you can do with Activator is great, but the problems you described with it were definitely real (at least in the 4.x days, I haven't been regularly jailbroken in a while now), and shouldn't be written off as expected behavior. And it's basically been the same story with a bunch of other tweaks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

drat!

Is the signing window for 6.1.2 completely over then, or does Apple leave it open for a couple of days?

Also, if I get my phone replaced at a genius bar, do they typically just give you a new one in a box (if yours is found defective) and send you on your way?

Usually the signing window stays open for a day or two, but there are no guarantees.

Replacement phones come from a different stock than the normal phones for sale. They usually just give you the phone, with no box or anything. They aren't going to go and upgrade their entire stock of replacement phones though, so you'll almost definitely get something jailbreakable for at least another few weeks.

• Locked thread