Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I never used a commandline or anything weird like that, I just downloaded CuteFTP, typed in my phone's IP, used the user name and password above, and just FTP'd my way around things, and I don't know anything about Linux or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I can't believe people are saying that you need to know UNIX or LINUX or whatever in order to SSH around. All you need to know how to do is use a FTP program or iPhoneExplorer (which a retard could figure out) and you're set.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

DaNzA posted:

Yeah but for people who doesn't care it's as hard as learning unix/linux to them.

No, it really isn't dude.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

I mentioned this a month or so ago, but seriously, the last 2 jailbreaks (and I've done a totally clean restore and not worked from a backup.) have made it so my Answer Call button, my Speakerphone button, etc... take about a million taps to respond before working.

Example case: I receive a call. My screen lights up with the caller and at the bottom is an Answer & an Ignore button. The I tap the answer button. Nothing. Doesn't even visually respond that it's been tapped. I keep tapping. About 10 seconds later I can answer the call.

The only reason this hasn't been a bigger issue is I just don't make & receive a ton of phone calls.

But still, it's annoying the poo poo outta me.

Anyone else?

(iPhone 4, 4.3.3 Jailbroken.)

Seems to be just you. Did you try going vanilla to see if it persists? Great way to get a replacement if so.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I've been out of the jailbreak loop for a long while. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (NOT unlocked) at 4.2.1.

I wanted to reformat my phone and be a bit more harsh on what apps I put on this thing, and thought this week would be a good day to do it. Will it be easy for me to stay on this firmware, or go on whatever firmware is the newest and also able to be jailbroken, and will me downloading the newest iTunes do anything bad?

Should I just follow jailbreakmatrix's guide and I'll be good, or has something new happened recently that will screw me up?

Thanks a lot guys.

e: So update to 4.3.3 stock, set up as new phone, then jailbreak using the dev team blog's instructions and I'm good?

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 14, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks guys. Also, how are the multitouch gestures they implemented in the jailbreak? This is for an iphone 4.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Richman777 posted:

Until you swipe to unlock it and come back to the lock screen and it's gone. Just because I unlock my phone doesn't mean I want those items dismissed or that I'm even going to go look at them.

I'm pretty sure Apple will change the way this works before it's released in the Fall.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LamoTheKid posted:

Did it, still throws the error. Guy was super nice at the Apple Store in SOHO. They were backed up and I explained the situations. Since it took them about 40 mins after my time to get to me he said "Hey, it's your lucky day, we're just playing catchup and you get a new unit. BTW, our internal DB mentioned something about Jailbreaking causing error 37, have you jailbroken?" I said yes and he said thanks for your honesty, im going to get you your new unit from the back. Took about 10 mins and I walked out with a fresh one.

Obviously its a refurb but goddamn if Apple doesn't have awesome customer service.

Iirc apple can't say anything about jail broken phones anymore, right? Or is it just legal but you void warranty? Also is that worldwide or just US?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Next time I plug my iPhone in I'm going to go stock for the Hell of it. I'm really only interested in SBSettings (which I barely use nowadays) and Navigate To Maps. I don't even care about BiteSMS anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Musclenerd visited Apple's headquarters. Good for him, and I hope it's about a job, but sucks for the JB community!

Wasn't Comex also hired a while ago?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

maduin posted:

I think Apple has decided that the best way to kill jailbreaking is to cut off its head (and then hire its head to work for them).

It'll be interesting to see if people continue to develop jailbreaks after iOS5 is released.

I totally think it's a smart move for Apple. I just formatted my phone fresh today and decided to finally not give a poo poo about jailbreaking. Everything is just fine, and even losing BiteSMS isn't that bad - it just switches panes to Messages.app, I write my message, and then go back to whatever I was doing. It wasn't a problem at all, and I think I had it hyped in my head that BiteSMS was --sooo-- much better.

After watching the iOS5 video on Apple.com, I'm even more convinced that although there isn't a "reply inside an app" function, the fact that it pops up on the top of the screen so I know if it's urgent or not is good enough.

Add to the fact that the camera button is now on the lock screen, so I don't need to worry about holding Home for 3 seconds (which sometimes doesn't work, or works when I don't want it to) and a Goon made app that turns the flashlight on in 2 seconds, I just don't give a poo poo.

SBSettings is great, but I don't use it on a day to day basis, so whatever.

I dunno, maybe it's just the "younger" nerd dying in me. I'm getting less and less interested in tweaking/tinkering/missing out on updates because I have to wait for pro-bono hackers to implement these features, and I Just Want Things To Work.

Going to a fresh install with only Apple approved software/hooks/whatever else is really nice. Knowing I can just update iTunes or my phone as soon as iOS5 comes out is also awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I honestly would switch to a Droid if I didn't have the phone and SMS Google Voice extensions.
Heathen.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love not being jailbroken anymore but having "Games 1" and "Games 2" kinda sucks. Thankfully everything else that needs to be in folders can fit in one.

I have gotten a lot better at deleting apps I no longer use so I keep my home screen to just 2 pages.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Chinook posted:

I actually have been doing just that, and I keep getting the same error (and I'm apparently not alone, most of the comments on a few sites are people having this problem.)

Thought it would help to point it at a 5.0 IPSW, but it didn't. I still get the exact same error as I posted a few posts back. I'm running redsn0w 0.9.9b8 and my iPod Touch is 3rd Gen. :argh:

edit: I should clarify, though, that I can get it to point to the right IPSW, do the 'full jailbreak', and all kinds of code appears on my iPod screen, a pineapple with a progress bar, and so on. The end result is that I have a little white square icon that is labeled Cydia, which when activated makes a small white window start to open, and disappears. :(
I restarted my device to fix the white Cydia bug back in the day

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone used Spire? Thinking about jail breaking just for it, but wondering if it's even possible to find a good host...is it even right to talk about it here?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Cacahuate posted:

I'm using Lockinfo for exactly this. I have ~42 meetings per day, and I keep track of my next meetings right on my lockscreen. It shows me the subject, time and place. It's awesome!

I'm just generally interested in what you do for a living

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Caught? What do you mean, "caught"? I've been jailbreaking contracted iPhones and debranding other contracted phones on AT&T since 2010.

They've only bothered me with their forced data plan fuckery.

Jailbreaking is safe, reversible, and pretty much unknowable & undetectable by AT&T or Apple.

The first thing a Genius does when checking on a phone is a spotlight search for Cydia

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01. I am trying to un-jailbreak it, but since iTunes keeps trying to push the 5.1 install as part of the restore, I get a message that the restoration failed. I have much more experience with fixing broken Android roots, and I don't know the first thing about advanced iOS restoration.

Anything obvious I am missing?

Settings , general , reset , reset all content and settings

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

I'm pretty sure this messes up the OS partition if you run it while jailbroken.

Weird, I did this exact thing last week. Oh well.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

randyest posted:

Is there anything like whited00r for an iPad1? I was going to give my old pad1 to my mom but it's kinda dinged up and old so I got her a The New iPad. I'd like to make the old pad1 into a permanent kitchen-mounted terminal but a lot of the recipe apps we use require 5.x and it's on 4.x, and I hear pad1's are pretty slow on 5.x.

Has anyone tried putting whited00r on a pad?

Add me to another owner of a 5.x + iPad 1 (selling it soon as I have the new one) that didn't have a problem with it at all. I mean, obviously its the slowest of the three, but it ran just fine for what I used it for. It'll be a great idea for a kitchen wall mount.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Sucks how they can't release an all-in-one Siri package that has all these little tweaks included.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Having got into the Apple TV scene late, I'm really hoping they jailbreak the new one.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have an Apple TV 3 and a jailbroken iPad 3. What do I need to do in order to push video to my Apple TV that would normally not allow it?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So how's emulation on the new iPad? What emulators can it run and how well?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Denim Dude posted:

Are cydias servers still being hammered? People are saying that they have installed sbsettings but im getting 500 internal server errors all over the place. I think I must have tried a hundred times over the last 24 hours. I'm starting to think maybe my cydia install is broken.
It's everyone. Took me about 10 tries to download something earlier.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone know how much better emulators are on the new iPad? Any way to connect my ps3 controller to it, or is it just Wiimote?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Also are the Siri extensions worth it, and if so, which ones? I've been out of the JB game well before the 4s's were out.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Dr. Mix posted:

Try out Snes9x EX. Besides running the games perfectly it includes Wiimote support, state saves, and in-depth video rendering options. Plus it's free because the Snes9x emulator is on a non-commercial license.

Don't pay for an inferior SNES emulator!

Also check out more from Robert Broglia. He has created a near perfect emulation platform that overshadows all others in Cydia.
Awesome, thanks dude.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I find it crap. The resizing only goes diagonal and really, what am I switching between that much? I tried Twitter/Safari and it just sucked.

Also finger tracking is hosed in windowed mode - try a drawing app to see what I mean.

Save your cash, don't buy it IMO.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I think it's perfect for those lazy consuming sessions. The new ipad has pretty much replaced my PC altogether (unless I'm gaming, which is rare now) and Quasar lets me be a lazy multitasker.

Streaming video, kairosoft games (fullscreening kairosoft games is a sin, you just sit there half the time!) and the forums/facebook at the same time whilst laying on my back covered in greasy crumbs and half-eaten cheeto bags.

Sometimes life is good and Quasar helps me get there.

e: It's definitely not something I leave on all the time though. ^^ Is absolutely right about the problems it has.
I'd love to see a pic of your window setup because I feel shafted on one hand for paying cash for it, but at the same time this is a crazy addition to the iPad so kudos to the creator and funding ideas like that are never a bad idea in my book. While I think Apple's way is good enough, splitting it somewhat like how Metro does it on Windows 8 would be kinda cool for certain tasks.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Manac0r posted:

Agreed. It dose come down to pratical application. Apple's method works, so why fix it? Qusaar does allow me to stream video, while mailing, messenging and reading the forums. Everything is visible and in realtime. No clicking or swiping to move between apps. Granted the resizing is buggy, but for the lazy ADHD tasker, it has some benefits.
How do you type your emails or read text on the forums though? I wanna use it but dont see the point! Show me a pic of how you have it set up if ya don't mind

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I am surprised at how bad the themes are I found so far. As a former Android user I love the themes for the MIUI ROM. While Android had some very bad themes, they also had some amazing themes. Am I missing something in relation to the iPhone? I feel like it is my fault since I am new to iPhone jailbreaking and I don't know where to look. XDA was an amazing website for Android users, but I can't find anything like that for iPhone. The ones I do find have so-so themes, and incomplete information.

Can someone point me to the amazing themes for iPhone please or am I chasing a ghost?
Glaskart was good a year ago when I gave a poo poo about trying to skin.

Problem is that you'll have apps that aren't skinned and it throws the whole idea off. If this has changed please let me know but I don't think it can.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

The tendency to refer to Siri using a gender-identifying pronoun is really unsettling.

I think it speaks more to Siri and Apple, and how people associate their phone with a gender. It takes a lot of marketing (or something) to have your phone act as something more organic.

I know I catch myself saying "she" every once in a while and I'm generally not that "nerdy"

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

hunter x az posted:

Siri kind of sucks anyhow... pretty unreliable and not very accurate in dictation, from my experiences over the last 6 months.

I find the voice recognition to be completely spot on about 95% of th time. I use it mostly when I have my headphones on and I'm walking down the street. I can change songs, check the time, send/receive texts and have it set reminders for me.

If you're a smoker it's loving awesome :)

I do think it's loving lacking though. I can only imagine how hard it must be for people with accents speaking English that Siri isn't equipped to understand. I also think the knowledge base is much lower than it could be, even after the Keynote announcements. Perhaps it's that I'm not interested in sports whatsoever, and that seems to be one of the major tent poles of Siri.

I also don't care for asking it to open an app for me. I would love to see a situation that it would be handy because I can't think of one.

I'd prefer hardcore fact checking, conversion being even better, I dunno. I wish I could say "What movies has James Cameron directed" and have it not say "I can't look for places in Canada" I'd rather it, if it didn't know, at least have Siri put it into Google and just pop up the first result, as it's prolly right anyways.

But I guess I should expect Apple to slowly add to the feature than try to blow the load all at once. It works better if it's slowly implemented one by one.

But no problems in terms of it knowing what the gently caress I said.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a VPN set up to watch American Netflix on my iPad. Works perfectly.

AirPlay doesn't work (only does audio) but mirroring will. Problem is that it doesn't fit my screen - black bars.

I use DisplayOut which is a JB app, but it still doesn't fit the screen.

I can stretch it to fit but then it doesn't look as good. Any help here to make it full screen? I'm so close!!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If they have old stock it'll come with older versions. New stock doesn't. Simple as that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

FLOOR posted:

Erasing question:

I have an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 installed and jailbroken that I'm trying to sell. When I try to erase all contents and settings, it just goes right to the spinning white circle, and when I reset the phone, it's as if nothing happened at all (everything is intact as before). Is there any other way to erase the phone so that I can re-jailbreak it to 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?
On iTunes. You can't restore from the OS while jailbroken

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
One thing I really really want

When at work I want my phone to look like an un-jailbroken phone

When at home I want it tricked out

Bonus points if it does it based on wifi hotspot haha.

But seriously, is there a "profile manager" or something? Sounds like it would be a given.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for Dreamboard recs. didn't know there was a winter board contender. I can switch from "normal" to "themes" in like 2 seconds, now to find an awesome theme!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Also try using Google Translate to talk to the guy. He might just want to order a pizza.

• Locked thread