Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

As someone who has never jailbroken or rooted a phone before, are the instructions in the OP really as straightforward and simple as they seem? Are there any common newbie mistakes that I might run into with disastrous results? I'm in high need of a tethering option on my iPhone 5, and would love to get this set up pronto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

As someone who relies on jailbreak for tethering, are you guys saying there is not any likelihood that people will devote themselves to jailbreaking iOS 7?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

What's the preferred program for navigating my phones folder structure from my PC? I already have the free version of iFile installed, if that makes a difference.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

So if I am jailbreaked on 6.0.2, what do I need to do to upgrade to 7.0.4 to pick up the new jailbreak?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Since the OP is still all slashed out, can someone please give me the list of steps of upgrading from 6.1.2 JB to 7.0.4 JB? 6.1.2 was my first jailbreaking experience, and I still don't really feel comfortable handling this without a helping hand.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

ibntumart posted:

This is what I did:
1. Downloaded the evasion JB file.
2. Made sure I had the most current version of iTunes on my Mac (would have done the same if I used my PC for the jailbreak).
3. After connecting my device, I downloaded but did not install the iOS 7.0.4 update.
4. Did a full back-up of my device (stored on computer, not iCloud).
5. Used iTunes to do a full restore so iOS7 would be installed on a blank phone.
6. At the prompt, I chose to restore from the backup I just made.
7. Went through the device's set-up screens.
8. Disconnected the device.
9. Ran the evasion JB file and reconnected my device when prompted.
10. Sat back and read for a bit while the jailbreak magic happened, following the directions as they appeared.
11. Went through the device's set-up screens again.
12. Gnashed my teeth when I realized how few of my iOS 6 jailbreak apps have been updated.

This was for my iPhone 4S, by the way. Haven't done my third gen iPad yet.

Edit: Oh, also I used PKGBackup to backup everything, JB and otherwise, to a cloud account. I forgot about using Appinfo to email my list of apps and completely spaced on the fact I have iFunbox and could have just saved everything locally.

Thank you very much for this, upgraded and jailbroke last night with no issues whatsoever!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I recently upgraded my 5 to 7.0.4 from 6.1.2 with the recent jailbreak, and while I'm mostly pleased with the change, there is one thing that is starting to bug me. I got some cheap Monoprice Lightning cables back when the 5 launched, and they worked perfectly fine for me in terms of charging and data transfer while I was on 6.1.2, but now on 7.0.4, every time I connect my phone to the cable attached to my computer, I get multiple error messages about whether or not I want to trust my computer and need to dismiss warnings about the cable not being official. Is there any way to disable this behavior? The cable still works for charging and data transfer, but it does seem like the charging doesn't start until I actually deal with these messages each time.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Looks like I misremembered and I actually got the cables off of amazon from some 3rd party, so it's not surprising I'm getting the messages, I just want them to go away because, in the grand scheme of things, the cables work perfectly well, official or not. There is apparently a jailbreak option, so I'll see how that goes.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I skimmed the last few pages and didn't see this asked.
Has there been anyway to downgrade an ios 7.0 and above device to ios 6?

I miss my jailbroken ipad 3 and updated it by accident months ago, for reference its stuck at 7.0.2

Any reason you can't upgrade to 7.0.4 and jailbreak on that?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Moogs posted:

So I'm sorry, but what is the deal with jailbreaking iOS7? If I have an iPhone 5s, is it safe?

Yup.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Hamburlgar posted:

NoLowPowerAlert (?) removes them. NoAnoyance didn't get rid of them for me, even though it's supposed to.

Yeah, I haven't had luck with NoAnnoyance actually turning off any of the alerts it is supposed to. Not sure why some people seem to be having luck with it and I'm not.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

You can restore to 7.0.6 and jailbreak that release. Latest evasi0n is updated for it.

Should those of us already jailbroken on 7.0.4 be doing this as well?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I think it is basically TetherMe and MiWi. TetherMe is about a fourth of the price of MiWi and works with the same basic functionality, so you'll have to decide if it is worth the extra ~$15 for whatever special features MiWi offers.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

bobfather posted:

And so the jailbreaking thread goes on its hiatus. See you all next year to jailbreak iOS 8!

Has it been shown that 7.1 fixes the exploit used by the 7.0.X jailbreak?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I ended up waiting too long to upgrade from 7.0.4 to 7.0.6. Someone posted earlier an app in Cydia that apparently replicates the security fix without needing to upgrade my iOS version. Does anyone have any information on whether or not it actually works?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

"OTB"? Does that mean the jailbreak still works for 7.1.2?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

HiddenSettings 7 doesn't appear to be making folders transparent anymore on my 7.1.2 JB. Anyone got a replacement?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Is 8.1.1 out yet?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Anyone know of a tweak to make my screen brightness even dimmer? Reading in bed with all the lights turned off and screen brightness as low as stock will allow it to go can still be too bright for my wife.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

As long as I am upgraded to iOS 8.1, I can go through the jailbreaking process whenever, correct?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Any word on when f.lux will be updated to 8.4? I haven't jailbreaked since 7.x and was really looking forward to that but it isn't available yet :(

Also, anyone know if I purchased TetherMe for iOS 4-7 if there is a way to upgrade to TetherMe for iOS 8 without having to pay again?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Ever since I did this last update/jailbreak, I've been unable to download any app updates from the App Store. I click on the update button and it just circles around for a while doing nothing. I have to force close the App Store or it will continue to use data doing nothing. Anyone else having this issue / know how to fix it?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungar posted:

Ever since I did this last update/jailbreak, I've been unable to download any app updates from the App Store. I click on the update button and it just circles around for a while doing nothing. I have to force close the App Store or it will continue to use data doing nothing. Anyone else having this issue / know how to fix it?

Still no luck with updating or installing apps after the jailbreak, even after logging out and back in multiple times. Haven't tried restarting my phone, but that's because I can't figure out how to power down the phone with my broken power button (unrelated issue). Any other suggestions?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Poala Bear posted:

Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive Touch (Turn on)

Press the now displayed Assisted Touch button on your screen, press "Device", press and hold "Lock Screen" until "Slide to Power off" pops up. To turn it back on, just plug it into a charger.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any help with the app issues you're experiencing.

edit: if for some reason you enable Assisted Touch, yet the button doesn't show up, you might have disabled the Assisted Touch daemons in iCleaner Pro. I had done that a long time ago and when my power button finally broke on my iPhone4, I went crazy trying to figure out why Assisted Touch wouldn't work for me until I looked in iCleaner Pro :bang:

There it is! I've been using Assistive Touch to lock my screen, but didn't realize that you had to hold down the Lock Screen button for power down to appear, though I guess it makes sense in retrospect. I'll see if a restart fixes the issue.

e: Indeed it does, hallelujah! Thanks all!

Klungar fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 11, 2015

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

plscks posted:

Springtomize didn't help anything but I found that changing color and white alpha to zero under hiddensetting's icon adaptive menu does the trick.

Is this updated for iOS 8? Hidden Settings 7 just crashes my springboard.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Does anyone know of a tweak that will let me use an http proxy over cellular data on the fly, like you can with Wifi? I've seen instructions about downloading an Apple Profile Manager program to your computer and loading an XML of some sort to the phone so any data goes through the proxy, but I'd like something that I can toggle on and off.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I ordered a 6S to replace my jailbroken 5, and will be giving the 5 to my wife to replace her even older phone. Is there any way to clear the phone off for her and get a new SIM in it without losing the jailbreak?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Poala Bear posted:

Cydia Impactor. It restores your phone to complete stock, keeps you on whatever iOS you're on, and removes jailbreak. It also has the added effect of repairing any corrupt/damaged files in your iOS if you have any.

Do you know what repo this is in? Not showing up in a search.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

There is a way to eliminate all animations on non-jb phones using spotlight search and the assistive touch button. I've been using it for the past couple of days and it works great.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

....and? How do you do it?

Here you go.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Is there a jailbreak way to install apps that have been removed from the App Store? I'd like to play the full versions of Sword & Poker, but they got removed when Konami bought the license, though the demo versions are still there with broken IAP pointing to the full versions.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

poo poo, missed it. In the future, what would have been to process to upgrade my 9.3.3 phone to 10.1.1 while iTunes is trying to upgrade me to 10.2?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Poala Bear posted:

You're reading it wrong unfortunately. Only 10.1 and 10.1.1 will be jailbreakable. 10.2 patched the exploit that Project Zero found.

Why are they calling out 7 differently from 6S then?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Including 10.12.1? Or is Apple still signing 10.12?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Alright, so I have a 6S and just got 10.2 installed from 9.3.3, I'm good to wait on doing the actual jailbreaking at my leisure, correct? I'm leaving on a trip in the morning and don't want to bork my phone before I leave and would rather deal with it when I get back.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Was there ever any confirmation that the 10.3.1 JB would work for non-7s?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Am I missing any big security stuff being on 11.2.6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

bobfather posted:

Very useful if you ever need to get service done by Apple (like the recent free battery replacement for all 6s users).

The what now?

• Locked thread