Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
Anyone used dreamboard?

Do I have to uninstall winterboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

I jailbroke using redsn0w on 4.3.3. It made me use a modified firmware it made. Is it possible for me to get all my notes back that is in my back up? I can do this by restoring but if I do that won't I lose my jailbreak?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just sync with your existing iTunes account and you'll have all your stuff back. As long as you aren't restoring the firmware itself, you'll be fine.

I restored from a backup when I got the phone replaced earlier today. Everything was there as far as notes. Now I jailbroke and now I can't seem to get my notes back.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Do you think when the iOS 5 untethered jailbreak is out the iPhone 4S will at least have a tethered jailbreak?

I'm thinking about updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 tethered jailbreak from 4.3.3 untethered jailbreak till the 4S is jailbroken and I"ll sell my iPhone 4 then.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No one really knows.

I didn't think so.

I'm thinking my iPhone 4 will be worth more on 4.3.3 vs 5.0 thus why I'm hesitant to update to iOS 5 now.Or do you think the price of my phone used won't matter with either OS.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

El Duke posted:

do you have the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3?

Yes. I reverted back to 4.3.3 from iOS 5 beta 6. But I've been reading that since iOS 5 has come out they stopped allowing you to go back to earlier firmwares. Is that still a possibility?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

MickRaider posted:

I'm fairly confident that you can revert back if you have 5.0.

Though it probably won't preserve your baseband which means you can't unlock if you go from 4.3.3 > 5.0 > 4.3.3

baseband hasn't been preserved because I had to get a new phone.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

MickRaider posted:

If you can wait on selling it, I'd be willing to bet money that iOS5 will be unteathered jailbroken and an unlock will follow shortly after.

That'll be your best bang for your buck, assuming you can wait.

Though when I sold my 3Gs's someone outright bought my 4.0 3Gs for the same price I sold my unlocked 3.x because they knew in the future they'd be able to unlock it, so YMMV

I can wait. I don't want to sell my 4 till the 4S is jailbroken. I have a feeling when the 4S is jailbroken they will have an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 for the 4.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Well apparently I misunderstood redsn0w's directions. I thought it installed iOS 5 for you and then jailbroke it.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Used redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for iOS 5 and the Cydia icon shows up all one color and crashes when I try and open it.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

mewse posted:

in the instructions i think it warns you that you'll get an all white icon until it reboots or something.. oh here it is:

"If you see a white icon for Cydia, or if Cydia or Safari crash when you open them, it’s because you didn’t boot tethered."

So you can still boot the phone up if it dies or needs a reboot, just the jailbreak stuff doesn't work?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

drat it my phone keeps entering Recovery mode not DFU mode :(

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

mewse posted:

if it's similar to what was happening to me yesterday, tinyumbrella can kick it out of recovery and then redsn0w can put it into DFU

Once it's in recovery mode I just hold the power down and it'll boot up just fine.

redsn0w can put it in DFU mode without me touching it?

The timer seems to lag and be slow at times when redsn0w does the counting. I got it into DFU mode twice when I jailbroke it but now I can't seem to do it.

EDIT: I got it now. redsn0w was saying hold the power button for 3 seconds THEN hold the power and home button. I just held the home and power button for 10 seconds then let go of power button and it worked.

EDIT2: Now that I rebooted it after installing biteSMS it's obviously stuck at the Apple logo. I can't turn it off to get it into DFU mode too boot tethered.

ReidStylez fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 18, 2011

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Jetsetlemming posted:

Might be different since I'm still on 4.3.5, but for me when this happens, if you hold down power and home for about 3-5 seconds it'll turn off, and then immediately go from that into the DFU instructions.

Keeps getting put into recovery mode instead :(

EDIT: this is ridiculous. Why are there so many different ways people are telling you to do this? It's like there is no sure way of getting your phone into DFU mode.

ReidStylez fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 18, 2011

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Jetsetlemming posted:

Go into the redsn0w extras and click the "recovery fix" option.

I some how fixed it myself. Now I'm booted.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Voodoo posted:

Finally had a chance to jailbreak 5.0 (iphone4), and I was running into the similar DFU-mode trouble. Following the redsn0w instructions wouldn't work, so instead I would just hold power+sleep to turn off (no slide), then letting go of sleep while the phone was booting, and it would kick it into DFU every time.

Oh BiteSMS and Five Icon Dock, how I've missed you. :love:

So you were at the apple logo and then you held power and home till the apple logo came back on and then you let go of power button?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Is it just me or is my battery weak?

Ever since I installed iOS 5 and jailbroke it with Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 my battery seems to be going down almost a percent every few minutes when the screen is on. Maybe it's just me but all the sudden after charging it a little on my way home from work it seems to be going down fast.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Evil Orca posted:

How old is your phone? The battery may be going bad. Have you tried using iOS 5 without the jailbreak on your phone and if you have did you notice batter issues? Here are some ways to extend you battery some:
Reset Network Settings: Tap on “Settings” > Reset > Reset Network Settings
Disable Bluetooth: Settings > General > Bluetooth > “OFF”
Disable unwated Notifications & apps: Settings > Notifications > Turn OFF for anything you don’t need
Disable Location Service: Settings > Location Services > Disable selectively for services you don’t use
Disable Timezone Adjustment: Tap on “Settings” > “Location Services” > ‘System Services’ > Setting Time Zone to OFF
Disable Ping: Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable Restrictions > Ping > OFF
Disable Diagnostic & Usage Reports: Tap on “Settings” > General > About > Diagnostic & Usage > Don’t Send

If none of those help I would try doing a clean install of iOS 5

I'll try all those and see how it goes. It just seems to me the battery is dying a lot quicker from when I was jailbroken on 4.3.3 It could just be me.

The phone is a referb I think from Apple. I went in because I thought my home button was acting up when in reality it was just because it was jailbroken and they replaced it. It was replaced 2 days before my 1 year was up (got my phone on launch day)

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Evil Orca posted:

Having stuff like winterboard installed also runs your battery faster than normal. If none of that works I would do a factory restore and go and try and get the battery/phone replaced if it bothers you a lot.

I don't have Winterboard installed.

I do have SBSettings. Is BBSettings better?

I think I had better battery life today. It's not horrible by any means I just run though it by the time I leave for work.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Isn't there a tweak for turning 3G off when not using data?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

What's a good inexpensive wall charger for the iPhone 4? I looked at amazon ones and reviews are in the 1 and 2 stars.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Anyone on iPhone 4 installed SIRI yet?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

I realize when I OTA update to 5.0.1 I'll lose my JB, but if I update OTA and then rejailbreak using redsn0w and then boot tethered again will it save my jailbreak settings or do I have to redo everything like I was jailbreaking a fresh OS?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Over The Road posted:

You can't jailbreak 5.0.1 - don't update.

Yes you can, with the latest redsn0w.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Chinook posted:

But it's still a tethered jailbreak, right? We're still waiting on a complete Jailbreak for anything past 4.3.x, correct?

Yes. But it's still a jailbreak. You said there wasn't a jailbreak yet.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tethered jailbreak isn't that much of a concern. Especially with things like semi-tether.

I mean, how often do you reboot your phone?

I've been running the tethered JB for 5.0 since 5.0 came out. I have yet to have an issue with having to reboot or the battery dying. I just watch my phone when it gets low on charge and make sure I get it on a charger if I need to. It really hasn't even been any different than when I was untethered JB.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Do you have to reboot after installing semitethered?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

dutchbstrd posted:

I'm semitethered on an iPhone 4 iOS 5.0 with no problems. I haven't had to reboot in the first 10 days or so, minus the initial reboots after installing lots of stuff

Just remember to check the status of the semi-tether every now and then since it seems to randomly deactivate

Do you have to reboot or respring after installing semi tethered?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Jetsetlemming posted:

Anyone else getting ridiculously poor battery life on a redsn0w jailbroken ios 5? My ipod touch 3 went from 50% battery to 4% over about six hours, sitting on my desk idling, with no games or music or anything running, and the screen off.

You know, I used to get really poor battery quality but since 5.0.1 came out I'm seeing an improvement. I didn't' even update to it. It could just be a coincidence. I haven't noticed and idling battery issue but more so when I'm using it. Not as bad a my 3GS on 3.1.3 with the spirit JB. I lost 1% every minute using it then.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Fozaldo posted:

Ok well I just jailbroke my 4 on ios5. Pretty simple. The new bitesms is very nice. I noticed that transparent clock for lockscreen no longer works though. What have you guys been most impressed with so far?

Doesn't seem like a problem to be on a tethered jailbreak, once you have your device set up everything seems nice and stable.

I haven't messed with themes yet mainly because I don't know what works and what doesn't. Plus I don't like messing with my phone when I'm away from my computer being tethered. I will say I haven't had an issue tethered yet.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

drat, just bought a 4S and it came with 5.0.1 :(

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

How is iOS 5 on the 3GS? I have a friend with a 3GS and is on 4.2.1 and I want to update them to 5.0.1 but don't want to do it and it run worse.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

psylent posted:

Installed it on my wife's 3GS when it was released, no complaints from her so far.

Good because this is also going on a females phone. Haha

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Klungar posted:

Yeah, I haven't had luck with NoAnnoyance actually turning off any of the alerts it is supposed to. Not sure why some people seem to be having luck with it and I'm not.

I have had it for a day now and honestly haven't seen any alerts pop up, but that doesn't mean anything.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

BiteSMS finally updated to a release for people not using the official betas from their repo.

Do you think BiteSMS is better than Couria as far as quick reply goes?

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'd say its all up to preference. Couria is a very simple quick reply that works great, BiteSMS is a replacement for the normal texting app. I personally prefer BiteSMS.

They're both free (Bite has ads after I think 7 days or whatever), so give them both a shot if you want.

I purchased BiteSMS a long time ago (I think back with the 3GS). I installed BiteSMS and am going to use that for a bit after using Couria. The only thing I disliked about Couria is that when it loaded the quick reply it'd scroll through the previous messages that you had with that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

decypher posted:

It says its the final beta, it's not a public release. You still need the their test repo. Where'd you get that info?

I downloaded BiteSMS 8 from BigBoss repo this morning.

• Locked thread