Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bomblol posted:

Is there an iOS 6 capable solution for hiding icons? I've tried using Poof but it seems to work sporadically at best.

Do apps like Springtomize and SBSettings (which uses "libhide" to hide icons) not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
This helps when I'm looking for where the heck my "Other" data is hiding:

du -hs
(part of the "coreutils" package)

Just SSH and start looking at directories. (ie: "du -hs /var/mobile/Library")

I found 2+ GB of data here:
/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.MobileSMS/ExtendedPreviews/Attachments/

I found another 2+ GB of data here:
/var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/

None of it was needed. It was all counted as part of "Other", and not cleaned up with iCleaner or anything.

On my repo (cydia.xenomorph.net), I put up an "XdN Shell Tools" package. It's mostly just some little config files, but it lists a bunch of other shell-related packages as dependencies, such as 'top', 'less', 'inetutils', 'coreutils', 'vim', (etc.) to get a lot of command line tools loaded up.

The config files set up directory listing colors, shortcuts like the "ll" command, and a few other things. I felt it makes using the terminal a lot more like working on a Linux system, and easier to view files, check directory sizes, etc.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ezrem posted:

What's with the "Note: Don't download this." In the description?

Sorta like a joke disclaimer.

Even though it doesn't do much, I haven't tested it with any other tweaks (I don't know if any other package tries to write to ~/.vimrc, for example), so I don't know if it would cause trouble.

So, if someone says that it destroyed their device, just by downloading it, I could say "well, it says *not* to download it."

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I recently got my iPhone 5 and it came with iOS 6.0.2. Since I'd rather stay jailbroken, I'm stuck with that for the foreseeable future.

Does anyone know if 6.0.2 had any specific bugs that I should look out for?

Specifically, I feel like my phone drains the battery a lot faster than it should. This might just be me loving around with the phone all the time, but I'd rather double check.

There aren't any major issues, but one really annoying one:

iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2: Attachments sent or received via SMS, MMS, or iMessages are not properly "deleted". They are removed from the conversation window, but the file remains on the device.

What's worse is the files are part of the backup, which means they will eat up your iCloud storage space. If you frequently send hilarious cat GIFs to friends, you could end up with several gigabytes of files you thought you had deleted.

Just remember to clear out the contents of this directory:
/var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/*

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Anjow posted:

It appears that the page "caniunlock" in the OP is outdated I think, and googling only seems to yield results for services which cost money. I have an iPhone 4S running 6.1.2 and jailbroken - is there a way to unlock for me?

While the iPhone 4S and newer has a SIM card slot, your carrier matters, mostly.

Have AT&T? Yes. Between $5-$35 will get you a permanent unlock that allows usage of the device around the world.

http://chronicunlocks.com/
AT&T: $25/$35
T-Mobile: $130
Verizon: $140

Unlocks on eBay are a lot cheaper.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
There hasn't been a software-unlockable baseband released in almost three years.

Plus, software unlocks were crap. They required you to stay on the old baseband (from 2010), forced you to rely on certain packages to be kept up to date (ultrasn0w), prevented upgrading iOS (you couldn't use a stock IPSW), etc. It required that you stay jailbroken, even if you didn't want to.
And in the case of the 3GS, it encouraged people to flash a hosed up baseband firmware that messed up the GPS at the very least, or permanently bricked the radio on some.

An unlocked iPhone can cost up to $850 in the US. More in other countries. You have to decide if it is worth $175 to you.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Shapur posted:

My i5 is at 6.0.2 right now, is there a way to update to 6.1 and not go straight to 6.1.3?

A5 and newer devices can only install iOS 6.1.3.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually, newer devices can't downgrade at all if I remember right.

This is correct. Apple patched the downgrade "trick" with iOS 5 (which was then bypassed by the jailbreak community), and more-so with iOS 6 (which has not been bypassed by the jailbreak community).

The only way to downgrade now to an older version of iOS 6 is using the limera1n exploit (A4 and older devices) only (except for the iPad 2), in addition to having the correct SHSH blob, and AP Ticket. That's three, very specific things you need.

For A5 and newer devices:

These devices may never be downgradable from iOS 6:
iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPod touch (fifth generation)
iPad mini
iPad 4
iPad 3

These devices can go back and forth with iOS 5 versions (5.1.1 -> 5.0.1 -> 5.1.1, etc), but only if there were never upgraded to iOS 6:
iPhone 4S
iPad 3

This device can be downgraded to iOS 4, and then upgraded back to iOS 5 (even if iOS 6 was installed):
iPad 2

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Is there a tethered 6.1.3 jailbreak for A5 (ipad 2)? There's a lot of conflicting information due to fake untetherd 6.1.3 jailbreak scams. I neglected to update from 5.1.1 since I hardly ever use it for more than browsing/email, but some software forced me to update and I didn't realize at the time that they aren't even going to bother jailbreaking 6.1.3 :downs:. I'm not missing much except for the date at the top of the screen and ScummVM but ScummVM is a lot to miss.

Where are you getting this "conflicting information" from?

Pre-A5 devices will always have a tethered jailbreak. That (so far) has nothing to do with the version of iOS.

For newer devices, you've been able to jailbreak up to 6.1.2. There is no "conflicting information" on this.

If there are 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 jailbreak reports, they're from scammers or trolls.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Um. Yeah. Goodbye jailbreak.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Some of the jailbreak apps/tweaks that are now built into iOS 7:

1) DeepEnd / 3DBoard (3D / parallax wallpaper)
2) SBSettings / NCSettings (swipe for quick toggles)
3) Infinifolders (infinite folder items, folder scrolling)
4) FolderEnhancer (full-screen folder)
5) BlurriedNCBackground (Notification Center background)
6) Prot0type (cellular signal strength theme)
7) Auxo / Cardswitcher (webOS-style app switcher)
8) Safari Omnibar (single search/address bar in Safari)
9) IntelliscreenX (Notification items on lock screen)
10) Swipeback (swipe to go back)
11) Bulletin (access Notification Center on Lock screen)
12) Torch (flashlight button)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

Well, I've run into an issue with my 6.0.2 restore.

It doesn't have T-Mobile HSPA+/LTE support. I know there's a carrier update that enables it, but it obviously won't automatically install itself since I'm not on 6.1.x. Is there a way to manually install one that would work on an iOS version prior to the version it's "compatible" with?

Current T-Mobile US carrier bundle for 6.1 (14.2):
http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/CarrierBundles/091-7459.20130626.Lk3Er/TMobile_US_iPhone.ipcc

Have you tried loading that?

If it doesn't install, open it up (it's a Zip file), and check the *.plist files to see if they have a "6.1" you can change to a "6.0".

Edit: You need to configure iTunes to allow manual installation of carrier bundles.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

The Dave posted:

Silly to not be working on iOS7, no?

There needs to be a jailbreak for 6.1.3 because a lot of devices are forever stuck on that version.

Also, there are plenty of others working on the iOS 7 jailbreak.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
If you think your Home button is loud, just wait until you use an iPhone 5S. That thing clicks loud enough to echo throughout the entire bathroom.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

Has anyone else been getting an error for the ultrasnow repository whenevery they check Cydia for updates? I've been getting it for the past couple of weeks.

I just removed it. Software unlocks are always so messy, and that ultrasn0w repo has just 1 file (ultrasn0w), which I'm about 99.9% sure I will never use.

Even if the repo was working fine, removing it speeds up any refresh that Cydia does.

Besides, even with a brand-new iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S, all I had to do was pay some random person eBay $1.99 to get them unlocked.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I didn't notice this mentioned before, but AT&T has started cracking down on the cheap unlocks.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are they relocking devices or just cracking down on the service providers?

I'm still trying to find info. I read that AT&T was trying to block the surge of 5S and 5C unlocks, but all unlocks are getting denied (I found out from a failed 4S unlock attempt).

I don't know of they're going to review records and start locking phones. The whole thing was like an underground movement against an evil corporation and questionable law, so I don't know how vocal some people will be about it.

Supposedly you can still get unlocks through some people (such as chronicunlocks.com), but this has pushed the price way up. What you could do for $1.99 last week may cost you $40 today.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

UndyingShadow posted:

Son of a bitch, my volume down button is dead. If I take it in, I lose my Jailbreak. If I don't, I don't have volume down. Ideas?

Fix it?

I got a new volume control assembly on eBay for a few bucks and popped it in my iPhone 3GS after its vibration switch got all screwy.

almighty posted:

Without a jailbreak, it's not worth it. Sorry, I'm not going to have Apple tell me what to do and what I can't do with a device I fully pay for. That's why I made the move over to Android.

My primary device (iPhone 5S) isn't jailbroken, and I don't feel like I'm restricted or prevented from doing anything with it. I can load all my MP3s, ripped movies, games, and I even have an iOS 7-compiled GBA emulator on it. Not to mention it has one of the best selection of apps for doing stuff for work.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Please tell me how to do this? Emulators are really the only thing I miss from being jailbroken.

There are three ways many people run emulators on their non jailbroken device.

1) For my devices I compiled it from source with the latest Xcode.

https://github.com/rileytestut/GBA4iOS

2) If you don't have a developer account, you can use someone else's buildbot to install it:

http://emu4ios.weebly.com/

The issue with that is you may need to set your clock to 2012, open the app once, then change your time back to Automatic.

3) Every now and then, an emulator (such as for GBA, SNES, or even MAME) sneaks into the App Store.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Awesome. Thanks. I hope Apple doesn't crack down on these methods.

Apple does crack down on #2 and #3.

With #2, Apple revoked the certificate used by many buildbots, which is why you have to change your clock to 2012 to get the apps to open sometimes. It still works, but it's annoying to dick around with the clock when an app won't open.

With #3, Apple pulls the apps as soon as they discover them. However, if you download them once before that, you can usually go back and download it again later, since it is tied to your account. I can go to my "Purchased" tab and still download MAME and iDOS.

With #1, Apple will never block that. There's lots of open-source projects for iOS, and any device with a registered ICID can run user-compiled stuff. I've compiled a lot of emulators and tether apps for my device. It's sometimes as easy as downloading a Zip file, extracting it, double-clicking the Project file, then hitting the "run" button in Xcode to compile and install it on your device.

It would be nice to have a bit more freedom - that's why I've been jailbreaking my iOS devices for years.

However, even without a jailbreak, I'd rather have the locked-down and highly polished and functional iOS than switch to another platform.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
winocm has lots of stuff on his twitter about it

https://twitter.com/winocm

Looks like evasi0n took a $1 million payout from a Chinese company. They released now, didn't warn any developers (saurik, etc), and bundled Chinese software and piracy stuff.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Cawd Rud posted:

To anyone still waiting on 6.1.4 (since the 7 jb is unknown levels of hosed up), it's coming soon: https://twitter.com/iH8sn0w/status/414809055283396609

I'm looking forward to 6.1.3 for my iPhone 3GS. It would be nice to just Restore then jailbreak, instead of digging out an old version of iTunes, stitching an IPSW, restoring that, jailbreaking, etc.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
As a reminder to anyone rushing to jailbreak iOS 7:

This is a "compromised" jailbreak.

At the minimum, it includes binaries for an "unofficial" Cydia (forked from saurik's source) and a Chinese App Store.

It's possible the evad3rs team allowed this Chinese company to bundle in their poo poo without knowing what any of it was. It could be limited to the hacked/cracked apps, or it could include other things that may be a lot worse.

@pod2g (one of the primary evad3rs) says he wasn't even aware of what is included in the jailbreak. That is a huge red flag - how could you not know what is in your own software? They have sold out, and given control of their name and domain to a Chinese group that paid them a *lot* of money.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ha!

evad3rs are claiming the Chinese deceived them.

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/414825035279650816

quote:

The evasi0n controversy with Taig is more than meets the eye. Taig had committed to zero piracy when partnering with @evad3rs

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

iLikeMidgets posted:

IPad 2 16gb WiFi. Getting boot loop error on 7.0.4 Tried restoring from download in iTunes and shift-restore. Tried setting up iPad as new device and from backup but same problem.
Seems like the boot loop is a common problem. Guess will have to wait for a fix.

It doesn't work for the iPad 2 WiFi. This is one of the issues with the jailbreak being rushed.

It doesn't work on some devices.
MobileSubstrate was never updated. This breaks a LOT of tweaks/apps.
Cydia doesn't work right (although 1.1.9, released today, is a bit better).

The evasi0n team didn't communicate with anyone important, so none of the other software was ready. They rushed their poo poo to get a big $$$$ payout, and now some Chinese company is laughing all the way to the bank.

The jailbreak doesn't work right, but their lovely, ad-filled pirate store is working JUST FINE.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

Anyone know an independent tether app, paid or unpaid, that doesn't need a jailbreak? That's really the only thing I jail break for since iOS7 addressed all my previous issues.

http://tether.com/

No jailbreak required.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

I wasn't aware anything above 7.0 was anything significant..

This is from a few pages back, but iOS 7.0.3 had significant changes.

Midnight- posted:

Ive got iPad 2 on a JB 5.1.1

I'm trying to reset it to factory settings to go up to ios7 and then JB, but if I try to do 'reset all content and settings' within the iPad itself, it goes to a black screen with a spinning icon and stays on that for hours, without doing anything. If I try to restore it to factory settings via itunes I get a Error 3194 (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4451) but changing the HOST file doesn't resolve the issue.

How do I wipe it?

You should never do a "Reset All" from the device.

1) make sure nothing Apple-related is in your hosts file.
2) make sure you have the latest iTunes installed. Versions older than 11.1 cannot restore A5+ devices.
3) put the device into DFU mode and restore.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

e.pie posted:

6.1.5 jailbreak is such a loving waste. :psyduck:

I disagree.

First off, there were a lot of devices left at iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.5. This would have been the first version of iOS "abandoned" by jailbreakers.
Devices stuck on 3.1.3? Jailbroken.
Devices stuck on 4.2.1? Jailbroken.
Devices stuck on 5.1.1? Jailbroken.
Devices stuck on 6.1.3/5? Abandoned ... until now.

pod2g/evasi0n even said they "under evaluated the interest" in regards to an iOS 6 jailbreak - like people would just be happy with everything else being jailbroken except their devices.

The exploit "wasted" apparently doesn't work right in the iOS 7.1 betas, which means it may be partially (or fully) patched out.

People seem to forget that the evasi0n 7 jailbreak could have been used in iOS 7.1 (since it works on the 7.1 betas), a MUCH needed upgrade to 7.0 - but were wasted on 7.0 because of some loving money / glory / credit.

People are bitching that the iOS 6 jailbreak *supposedly* wasted an exploit (that some said was already patched in iOS 7) when the iOS 7.0 evasi0n jailbreak is KNOWN to burn exploits that WOULD HAVE worked in 7.1. Apple will have it closed and fixed by the time 7.1 hits.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SaucyLoggins posted:

Not *entirely* true. Jailbreaking puts Cydia on your phone which can introduce its own bugs. For example the status bar bug that shows the status bar on apps like camera when it's not supposed to. That's a bug that is introduced as soon as you jailbreak. Also, just basic the basic jailbreak caused my Weather app to report the wrong location for my zip code.

Jailbreaking also breaks the Reset all Settings, the remote wipe functionality (which reduces the effectiveness of Find my iPhone), and can compromise MDM if your employer uses that.

The above stuff, ongoing icon caching issues since iOS 5, and the bugginess of some popular tweaks that have gone unfixed for years (libhide sometimes showing all the system apps, for example) make me hesitant to jailbreak my iPhone 5S.

Yeah, I'd like to use the new BytaFont and WinterBoard, but I don't know if I want to crack my phone's OS with a zero-day exploit and disable some existing functionality to do it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

3. First I've heard of this?

Regarding "Find my iPhone" not working - I'm guessing they mean Remote Wipe.

Find my iPhone works, but you can no longer reliably remote wipe, which can be a big deal depending on what you have on your device (or your employer).

Remote wipe is like hitting the "Erase All Content and Settings" button. Many people already know that doesn't work. It puts your device in a boot-loop. Nothing is actually deleted, and it can be possible to get out of a boot-loop - so anyone with your device can keep trying to get at your stuff.

With no way to reliably remote-wipe the device, with iOS 7 it can now compromise how Activation Lock itself works.

You don't hear the jailbreak developers talk about it (it's broken in iOS 7, iOS 6, iOS 5, etc), and much of the "community" seems more concerned with ugly themes and pirated apps than if their device is secure or works properly.

I've had a developer (saurik, even, I believe) tell me it's a "small price" people are willing to pay to gain other freedoms and such customization with their device.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

the kawaiiest posted:

... I can't do it, then. :( Not having remote wipe is not a huge problem, but not having Activation Lock is. Not being able to wipe the phone doesn't matter if I can just lock it to keep people from accessing my stuff, but if I can't do that then I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the ugly blurry dock and the awful icons.

Activation Lock still works (it is server-side). They cannot disable Find my Phone, and the device will be unusable if it is wiped or restored.

The issue is just the remote wipe method. It triggers a reboot loop (instead of actually wiping it). Now, this may make the device unusable, and the person who has it may try to restore it with iTunes, hoping to stop the reboots.

Lost Mode should still work, as well. This forces a passcode on the device. If they try to wipe/restore it to get around the passcode, Activation Lock will be triggered.

It can be locked down and made useless. You just cant reliably remote-wipe it.

Bouchacha posted:

FYI I just lost my unlimited plan with AT&T after they cited me using mobile hotspotting. I've been using TetherMe and very infrequently at that so I'm not completely sure if it's a mistake on their end or not. Customer service reps have repeatedly told me I still have my unlimited plan, so I'm waiting for them to figure it out.

How much data have you been using? Did you need "unlimited"? I use to worry about getting caught when tethering. However, I used almost no data. I'm on a tiered plan, now. I never go over my limit, and I can tether whenever I want without the worries.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I guess it's a lost cause trying to find decent iPhone 3GS themes.

Most "low res" themes I find seem to be from the iOS 2/3 days (they include poo poo like a wallpaper - "Suave", for example).
Many require SummerBoard mode or whatever just to get the icons to work.

None have been updated for the icons in iOS 4, 5, or 6 (all of which work on NON Retina devices).

...and now Saurik seems to have removed the old/low-res theme section from the featured themes on the main Cydia page. I'm guessing it's assumed that no one still uses an "old" device, even if it has a "current"/2014 build of their OS.

I'm trying to modify and re-bundle some of these old themes for use with iOS 6.1.6. Going through and rebuilding each PNG, resizing the image, then renaming the file and putting it in a current "com.apple.*" bundle is taking forever.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

dutchbstrd posted:

7.1 is now jailbroken on 4S. Who knows if it'll ever see a public release or anything.

iH8tsn0w has had an A5 iBoot exploit that means he can pretty much jailbreak any version of iOS.

It will not be made public.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Looks like those that chose to pirate 99¢ apps are getting malware.

Several pirate repos have malware bundled in with the cracked apps.

The malware latches onto SSL and sends your username and password (including your Apple ID) to an IP address in China.

https://www.sektioneins.de/en/blog/14-04-18-iOS-malware-campaign-unflod-baby-panda.html

From saurik:

quote:

I will also again take this moment to point out to anyone concerned that the probability of this coming from a default repository is fairly low: I don't recommend people go adding random URLs to Cydia and downloading random software from untrusted people any more than I recommend opening the .exe files you receive by e-mail on your desktop computer.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 18, 2014

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Denim Dude posted:

Looks like another SSL vulnerability was patched in IOS 7.1. Anyone know of a cydia fix that can patch this up?

http://threatpost.com/apple-fixes-serious-ssl-issue-in-osx-and-ios/105631

Apple patched at least 18 other security issues in addition to the SSL fix in iOS 7.1.1 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6208), as well as over 40 security issues in addition to the SSL fix in 7.1 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6162).

While most of the things fixed impacted WebKit, if you really care about security, waiting around for someone to make Cydia Substrate patches (that don't work in safe mode) isn't the best idea.

Not updating just leaves you more and more behind.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

omg chael crash posted:

I know this is asked every few days and I'm honestly sorry for that, but what's the proper way to unjailbreak my 5?

You cannot "un" jailbreak. You must Restore the device with iTunes. Don't try to update.
In fact, the best way is probably to put the device into DFU mode first, then Restore.
This also puts the current version of iOS on it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Brand-new Cydia is out. Redesigned and more pirate-friendly. (no more hitting limits with too many packages)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Christoff posted:

I looked at the 7.1.2 changed I don't see any reason to update from 7.1.1?

Please don't pull this poo poo.

Apple never lists all the changes, bug fixes, and improvements. It is still VERY loving important to update.

iOS 7.1.2 has around 30 security updates that are listed, including multiple Lock Screen bypass fixes and Activation Lock bypass fixes.

To me, those alone are huge issues that make 7.1.2 a must-have. I want my device updated and safe.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

Why do you need an app for tethering? Isn't it available already natively?

People have been asking this for at least the past half-decade. It's getting kind of old.

No, people cannot just tether at will.

Tethering is controlled by the carrier on stock software. iOS and Android.

It is still blocked by a lot of carriers, requiring people to hack, crack, or load 3rd-party software to get around the restriction.

There was a time on iOS that the ONLY way you could tether was by jailbreaking. Tethering wasn't supported by iOS at all until it had been out for several years, and even then it is still only supported on certain devices.

As of today, something like MyWi is still the only option for many people to turn their iPhone into a hotspot device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is 9.3.5 or 10.3.3 untethered, yet?

• Locked thread