Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
So has anyone tried the new Siri port from cd-team? Apparently it has some bugs, such as disabling video recording, and it also has connectivity issues sporadically, but when it connects it "just works", according to other people who have tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Djarum posted:

Ok so I just got my officially unlock to go through. Is there any way to get it on my phone without restoring it? Every time I have to do it, it takes hour and hours and I am just not in the mood for messing with it until 5.x jailbreak comes out.

Get Redsn0w. Jailbreak it, and on the options screen that comes up during the Jailbreak unselect jailbreak and select deactivate. Let it do its thing and next time you plug it into iTunes, it"ll run through the activation procedure and unlock your phone, if the unlock went through.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Someone pointed it out earlier in the thread, but Sansation is really the font to have for your idevice. Hanzo is way too thin.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Whether iOS 6 gets jail broken or not, I can guarantee with utter certainty that they will not release an untethered jailbreak that is incompatible with the most recent iOS software version at the time of release.

In other words, now that 6.02 is out, nobody will ever release a jailbreak only for 6.0 or 6.01. And when 6.1 comes out, it will be the same story.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

How can you guarantee this with utter certainty?

Because they would never burn any of the multiple exploits needed to form a single jailbreak on a software version that most of the user base has already upgraded past.

They have never done this, and given the difficulty of finding vulnerabilities in iOS these days, I am completely certain they never will.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Seriously, people, the restore stuff isn't a big deal.

Step 1: Plug your computer into iTunes
Step 2: Right click your phone and hit "Backup"
Step 3: Sync your iPhone
Step 4: Update to 6.1
Step 5: If iTunes asks, restore your phone from the backup you just made

Congratulations, you're all ready for the free jailbreak!

Alternatively, use the OTA update and then whine on the day of the release when your jailbreak process isn't seamless, or when a proper AP Ticket cannot be saved thus not allowing you to restore 6.1 or downgrade to it.

Your choice, people!

Edit: Since I'm through being mad, here's a list of things I'm excited to reinstall:

LockInfo
iFile
Flux
Zephyr
SBSettings
TetherMe
and some more stuff I've forgotten since it's been ages since I've been jailbroken

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 29, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

You only need to restore if you're presently on OTA 6.1.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

A full restore is a reinstall of the OS, along with a restore of all of your settings.

Updating your iPhone via iTunes is a reinstall of the OS, while keeping your settings intact.

If you are on OTA 6.1, you need to do a full restore. If you are not on 6.1, plugging your phone in and updating will suffice.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Feenix posted:

So if I did OTA yesterday, would I just:

Backup my 6.1 iPhone 5 to iTunes

Do an iTunes Restore of 6.1

THEN can I put my backup back on my iPhone so I have all my poo poo again?

Then Jailbreak?

[edit]

If I cannot do a full restore of my backup in step 3 above, I suppose I could just bring my contacts and such down from iCloud at least, right?

Sure, looks good.

Anyone who is currently on OTA 6.1 should download the IPSW from Apple. Plug-in, backup, sync, shift+click restore from IPSW, and then once that process is finished ask it to restore your backup settings. The phone will probably sync automatically somewhere in the process, too.

Alternatively, you could do all of the above but NOT restore your backup settings, and instead restore from iCloud instead. However, it'll take longer to download the apps than to load them from your computer, and you'll not have any of your books, music, ringtones, or pictures on your phone until you plug in and sync.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Apparently yes, though they aren't sure whether the ATV2 6.1 firmware will be out in time for the initial jailbreak tool they release in the near future.

ATV3 peeps are still out of luck though :(

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Plus I don't think TinyUmbrella even got updated to support 6.01 or 6.02 before the signing windows for those firmwares had been closed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Yeah, except that's a bullshit site. The real URL is http://evasi0n.com. I would trust no other site on anything, as they're all just parroting the real evasion site and/or making stuff up.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Christoff posted:

Random question. If we're on the iPhone 5 we'd have to wait for apps to be updated for the 5 or?

In the past week, a lot of Cydia devs have undergone a mad dash to get their apps iOS 6 and/or iPhone 5 compatible. If your favorite tweak isn't compatible yet, I'm sure it will be within weeks of release.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Feenix posted:

No I don't believe so.

I highly preferred Sansation to HH. Is it that one?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

ddogflex posted:

Works fine. Read some posts on this page/the last one. :)

Even if it does work, you run a risk with this method of not having the proper AP Tickets backed up on Cydia. This will matter when the 6.1 signing window closes and you ever need to restore a copy of 6.1.

Personally, I would just follow the correct procedure and restore 6.1 via iTunes. To each their own though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

omg chael crash posted:

Yeah, did both of these. My screen lights up, but there is no notification. Odd.

Edit: It seems my phone has also stopped using my text tone regardless of what the settings screen says. Doubleplusodd. :iiam:

Any slowness is not due to jailbreaking. When you shift+click to restore firmware the device is first wiped clean, then iOS is reinstalled.

Any backups you restore to the device AFTER that point are most likely what is making it slow.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

adm posted:

Am I the only one who absolutely hates the new LockInfo 5??

I feel like they've taken a step back, but one thing that Ashman is good about is listening to user feedback and fixing bugs.

It also "helps" that LockInfo is not in any way optimized for the iPhone 5. It works, but there are a ton of UI bugs. Apparently he's on top of it fixing them, and I think it could act as a suitable replacement to LockInfo 4 once the kinks are sorted out.

Seriously, just give it a chance. Most of the functionality is there, with less of the inane options that made the old one a mess.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

LockInfo 5 and BiteSMS play well together for me. No configuration needed on the LI side, and in BiteSMS I just have it setup to pop up the quick reply and compose from the lockscreen.

Everything works as expected - volume+tap invokes BiteSMS from the lockscreen. SMSs that I get are displayed in LI, and if you slide the notification to the right it pops up the BiteSMS quick reply window.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's the gadget bar. If you hold it and drag it down it shows you more stuff.

Also, when you get texts, emails, or notifications they pop up on the same line as that bar, and clicking each icon filters your notifications, while clicking that same black and red icon shows you all notifications.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Manac0r posted:

E: Also Nitrous, is it placebo?

Not placebo. If you run Sunspider in a third-party browser, the before/after score more than doubles with Nitrous activated. Do I notice any speed differences in the real world though? I'm not that sure...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Revol posted:

My iPhone crashed, and now it's locking up during the boot sequence (black screen, Apple logo). Is there any way to force a safe mode boot without getting into the iOS? I would assume it would just automatically try that anyways after a crash, so... it seems like I need to wipe my phone. And here I am at work, and I've got a 50-60 minute drive home without my music...

Try holding volume up through the entire boot process. That's supposed to put you into safe mode.

If that doesn't work, restore.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

hunter x az posted:

Not condoning piracy: However, I have said multiple times before, the primary benefit of jailbreaking is to pirate apps. Not that I do it, I have paid at least 40$ this month since the JB was released. However, that's all there is to it. The majority of iOS users are teenagers who don't have access to real money.

Ethically, if you jailbreak, to enable tethering, thereby circumventing your carrier's paid plan for tethering, is the same. Just because you believe that you should be able to use the bandwidth how you see fit, doesn't make it ethical. It falls outside of the contract you signed.

Ask me how many pirated apps I use on a daily basis. Then ask me how many times I invoke BiteSMS to text someone from within an app. Or use LockInfo to trash an unimportant email. Or use Auxo, SBSettings, or NCSettings to connect to my VPN more quickly.

To put it more plainly, your suppositions about jailbreakers, the demographics of iPhone users, and the "ethics" regarding tethering are dumb, wrong, and unwarranted in this thread.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Isn't WhatsApp the standard for third-party texting? It's on the App Store.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone have any experience with LockInfo support? I purchased it years ago under a different email account, one I don't have access to anymore. Now when I try to add or transfer the license to my new device it wants me to confirm with my old email. I emailed support last week and haven't heard anything back. Just wondering if anyone else knows a good way to get a hold of them.

The dev is a nice guy. If you can provide transaction information (from Google Payments, Paypal, or Amazon Payments) to him I'm sure he would fix it for you. Contact him and let us know what he does!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Have you tried re-pairing them?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I'm pretty sure Software Update Killer is redundant with the evasi0n untether installed.

To add to the tweaks already posted:

BiteSMS - better SMS handling over the entire OS
Browser Changer - to use 3rd party browsers instead of Safari (very useful with Nitrous); can also set Google Maps as stock Map app for map links
BytaFont - change your boring font to Sansation or Hattori Hanzo
iFile - manage your filesystem when needed
LowPowerBanner - kills the vibration when connected to power and displays low power popups as banners instead
OpenSSH - SSH into your phone. Very useful to fix your phone if it won't boot. Make sure to change your passwords!
RespringCacheFix - from the repo rpetri.ch/repo/; autodeletes the cache files that accumulate every time you respring. Fixes a fairly critical iOS 6.x bug
SwipeSelection - move the cursor or select text by swiping left or right on the keyboard. Sucks on the iPad, but amazing on an iPhone
TetherMe - unlock tethering for devices that don't have tethering plans
Zeppelin - hide your carrier logo or replace it with a different one

Also, My3G and 3G Unrestrictor are OK, but not super necessary anymore. I spend a lot of time on the road driving, and either app lets me start an App download from the Store from the road, even if it's over 50MB. Very useful when used in combination with something like AppShopper, for those awesome games that go free for hours only that you don't really want to fork over for.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 26, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Are you really stereotyping all Chinese people into being malicious hackers?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Has anyone else noticed an issue where sometimes the phone just won't come out of sleep?
Neither Home nor Power button will "work". Wait a few seconds and try again, and they started working again.

Not sure what it could be, I do have Activator installed but nothing is bound to the Home button.
iPhone 5, IOS 6.1.

Activator made everyone mad a long time ago because it would mess with the hardware buttons, even if there was no actions bound to the button. Try uninstalling Activator and see if it helps.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

greenman100 posted:

No, I'm not stereotyping at all. It's sketchy to me that a company named "Kingsoft Security" would release an app that is effectively a UI tweak, called battery doctor. It seems pretty odd. Furthermore,

Unverified, sure, but cause for concern on a device I enter plenty of banking info on.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions and providing no helpful input though.

Or, they're a publisher of a similarly-named app on the App Store that felt constrained by Apple app limitations, so they released their true vision of the product in the form of a jailbreak tweak?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Yes. The cache bug is not fixed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TetherMe is 95% of the product of MyWi, at 10% of the price. And they probably won't charge you for major updates. Don't fall into the hype of MyWi, and definitely don't support their lovely business practices.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Team THEOLOGY posted:

But I'm still trying to find out what MYwi does that just "creating a personal hotspot" from settings doesn't already do? Or is it the same and most people just don't have access to that feature in their regular settings?

If you live outside the US, you potentially have free tethering. See, here in the US the megabytes that we pay dollars for are for some crazy reason only usable by the phone. If you want to tether to use your megabytes for other devices, you pay $20+ monthly for the privilege.

Enter programs like TetherMe, MyWi, and PDANet, which are all used to circumvent this blatant moneygrab.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Voodoo posted:

Is there a (more recent) App Update Hider that works? I want to ignore an update to an app, but don't want to turn off the badges all together. "Update Hider" on Cydia stopped working with 4.3 apparently.

Download iFile and then go into the app directory and rename the itunesmetadata file.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I dunno, I never had any problems keeping my 3GS and 4 baseband unlocked.

In fact, I think the only reason I stopped caring about unlocks in general was because the cell companies started to relent. Sprint seems to be the only big company these days that is unwilling to give out a fully-unlocked device. Verizon and T-Mobile iPhones are unlocked from the getgo, and AT&T will unlock you after paying a few bills.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Velox is out, and it's pretty grand. Unfortunately, since doing the "Velox" thing to an icon is essentially like opening a folder for that icon, you cannot "Velox" icons in folders.

This sort of breaks the way I use iOS, but eh.

Someone came out with a quick Stopwatch plugin for Clock.app. It's cool because I'm constantly timing stuff.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any way to change the source of the weather forecast?

I'm sure you could write a plugin to scrape data from wherever you want.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Regarding battery drain, it's more or less a myth that the top tweaks like the ones listed significantly influence battery life. Perhaps it was true at one point in time for SOME of the tweaks (and certainly not all), but the devs of the popular tweaks are constantly fixing bugs and optimizing for efficiency.

I would look first towards signal strength issues. On my iPhone 5 I get a horrendous 1-bar LTE / 2-bar 3G signal at my workplace, and I've seen it drain my battery from 75% to 25% in a matter of an hour of use.

Past that, look at your screen brightness and usage patterns. It's well known that full brightness consumes like 2x the energy versus 50% brightness, or something ridiculous like that. Also, look to see what apps you're using, and whether they're processor intensive or using bluetooth/WiFi excessively.

For what it's worth, I have essentially the same tweaks installed, minus AdBlocker, AdBlockerNetworks, BatteryDoctorPro, Music Controls Pro 6.x, and Winterboard. My phone has no trouble tolerating the other tweaks you listed AND getting good battery life, when signal is decent and my phone use is controlled.

On a side note, everyone owes it to themselves to download the official Google Search app, then from Cydia install Activator, Activoice, and Googiri.

Activoice allows you to set Google to open directly to the voice-activated search mode using Activator, and Googiri, which is a new tweak uses Google Search for voice recognition, then shunts that data directly into Siri, if desired. For certain searches it is WAY WAY faster than Siri's voice recognition, and more accurate. You can even use keyphrases like "Hey Google" or "Hey Siri" before your voice search to direct a search specifically into Google Search or Siri, respectively.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think another issue is that nobody really knows how long their phone is supposed to be lasting under moderate-to-heavy issue (which is how most of us actually use it). I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone last longer than 5-6 hours unless you're just using it for phone use.

True. Apps like BatteryDoctorPro (on Cydia) can help with this by showing you estimations of how much phone energy you have left. It can also look at battery use on a per-app level, which can allow you to see which apps are eating more battery.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Would this allow me to create a Swype like function? Or am I basically SOL.

It's Swype for iPhone, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

You could setup Internet connection sharing with your laptop, then use your iPad normally.

• Locked thread