Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Ok, I am having a very weird issue. Randomly the other day Cydia crashed and since that point whenever I try to launch it again I get the background of Cydia and nothing else, no loading screen, etc. I tried to reinstall Cydia via ssh and apt-get and it seems again randomly that apt-get is not installed anymore. :psyduck:

What would be the best course of action to take here to get Cydia reinstalled and working? I really don't want to do a new restore all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

maduin posted:

"According to the AT&T rep, if you stream your slingbox at home to your phone somewhere else, that's tethering because you're transferring data between a 3rd party device."

"I got an email on May 3 and that same text message today about tethering and I have never used tethering. My iPhone 4 is not jailbroken, and on Saturday I used slingplayer for 1 hour. On Tuesday I got an email saying that I have been tethering without a plan. I believe that this slingplayer app causing tethering is true and if so ATT is just looking for any way possible to get rid of unlimited data plans."

Whomever you are talking to on the phone from AT&T has absolutely no idea what is flagging your account and can not tell you what is causing it. The "training" they got basically is to the effect to "So when someone calls and they have a tethering flag on their account they have been tethering. We can't tell you how we know but believe us they are." This all happened about 5 minutes before a shift started for them. Most reps have no idea what tethering is and just talk out of their rear end to try not to get yelled at any more that day.

I think the APN thing is the only way they can be detecting it unless they are doing deep packet inspection. I am pretty sure it is a way to get rid of unlimited data plans and I can almost guarantee with the iPhone 5 they are going to require a "feature" that will require you to get rid of the unlimited data plan. It is a lovely business practice but don't take it out on the poor guy on the phone since he doesn't know poo poo and can't do much about it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fatrick posted:

I downloaded a custom IPSW firmware from here.

Would this be something I could use to restore it?

I'm not worried about warranty or applecare, and they wanted $50 to unlock the phone, which I didn't really want to pay. That's why I went this route to unlock the phone. Everything made it out to be a fairly simple thing to do, clearly I was mistaken.

Dude you are making a really bad mistake. If you can't figure out how to do this on your own to start with you shouldn't mess with it. Not only as it was said before it will mess up your phone with no way to go back you also will have to jump through hoops to update or restore it.

If you have the option to legitly unlock it do that and save yourself a ton of trouble and a hosed up phone.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
:siren:!Warning!:siren:

If you jailbreak iOS 5 beta 3 it will break all apps from the App Store.

Someone should put that in the OP ASAP.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Because maybe they develop jailbreak apps and want to test them against iOS 5?

Correct!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I am not sure what is wrong here.

I finally broken down and installed iOS 5 on my 3GS and jailbroke it with redsn0w. Cydia seemed to install just fine, I had to reboot and set redsn0w to boot it tethered. In Windows it won't detect my iPhone in DFU at all, in OSX it will and I can reboot the phone. Problem is it is not jailbroken once it is rebooted.

Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Damnit I just found out that iBooks doesn't work on jailbroken iOS 5. Is there a real fix yet or do I have to go through that crazy bullshit with changing plist stuff to juryrig it to work?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ezrem posted:

So I did a little tinkering today trying to figure out the iBooks stuff. I ended up reinstalling IOS5 using Sn0wbreeze. Using all of iH8sn0w's utilities lets iBooks work just fine after restoring everything from my previous redsn0w jailbreak.

You have to use his little iBooty.exe app to do the tethered boot, so after I'd reinstalled/recovered/installed all my Cydia apps, I thought...let's see what happens if I try to use redsn0w to boot? When I did that, my phone worked just fine, all jailbroken apps worked, but iBooks didn't.

Then I went back to an iBooty.exe boot, and iBooks was working fine! It looks like whatever fixes iBooks is done during the boot process, not as part of the IOS load or some setting you can change at a user level.

So, if you're feeling adventurous, you could try booting a redsn0w jailbroken phone with iBooty, and see if iBooks works. I'd make sure you have a backup before trying it, though.

Yeah I am jailbroken on Sn0wbreeze on my 3GS since redsn0w was acting flaky. It is still not working with iBooty boots. I really wish there was a good fix out since I actually use iBooks quite a bit to read on my breaks at work and I had just got a bunch of new books.

Oh well, I figured I would just have to wait for a real untethered jailbreak to be released.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have 5.0 running on my 3GS. I am pretty hit or miss with it. When it is running good it is faster than 4.2.x. But there was weird hangs from time to time even on the Springboard. You have to keep a eye on your ram/running tasks much more than on 4.2. I am jailbroken and it is even worse ram wise when you run jailbroken apps. I feel like iOS 5 has a caching issue in general and doesn't flush ram correctly even with standard apps.

Like I said though when it is working good and that is a good 80% of the time it is better than 4.2.

Just make a backup, install iOS 5 and if it they don't like it just roll back.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ezrem posted:

Has anyone with the 5.0.x sn0wbreeze jailbreak tried this new version of iBooks yet?

I don't really feel like being the guinea pig.

It doesn't crash on startup now but it does say there is a "problem with your iPhone" and to reinstall iBooks and sync.

Hopefully a real fix will be out soon.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ezrem posted:

That's with sn0wbreeze? That's what I had happen with redsn0w.

I switched to sn0wbreeze and I don't have crashes right now at all. Everything just works.

[Edit] And that includes iBooks 1.5. It just works. I used sn0wbreeze 2.8b10 when I did my jailbreak. [/Edit]

Yup sn0wbreeze here. Ended up having to use it since redsn0w wouldn't work for whatever reason.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I ran into the same issues with a doggy jailbreak with Redsn0w on my 3GS. I ended up using sn0wbreeze and had 0 issues with it. Try that out. I haven't been real happy with redsn0w on 5.X.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Valex posted:

.exe file and I'm on a mac :(

Use VMware or just Bootcamp it up. All you really need is for it to make the ipsw.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

glompix posted:

When running redsn0w for 5.0(.1?), you can install the iPad baseband, which is unlockable. You lose gps, though. Look it up to make sure that's what you want, since it's irreversible for now.

He is already on a unlockable baseband so he doesn't need to deal with that crap.

First do not do what this person just said to do.

What you will need to do is use any of the jailbreak tools and make sure you check "do not update the baseband" in the options. You will be able to update to a newer iOS and it will remove the baseband update.

I would probably wait a little bit and hold out for a proper iOS 5 jailbreak, but most of the major tools have the option to not update the baseband.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dexter6 posted:

I don't know if you meant to write UNtethered jailbreak, but iBooks was not working for me with the Tethered JBs on 5.0 and 5.0.1. I was able to fix it by copying the app and doing a little hacky stuff.

So I just did a reload with the newest version of sn0wbreeze on 5.0.1 then jailbroke using Corona on Cydia and my iBooks seems to still be working fine.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ezrem posted:

Does it work after a reboot? Whatever sn0wbreeze was doing to iBooks was at the iBooty.exe level.

Just tried rebooting and it does break it. But if you reboot with iBooty it will fix it. So if you need to reboot your phone without a computer you will be SOL until you get home. Small price to pay.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

jojoinnit posted:

Still wondering if anyone has some good advice on what to do, now that I'm exactly a generation of iOS behind.

What kind of unlock does your iPhone have? It is done by Ultrasn0w you can just use any of the jailbreak tools to strip out the baseband update on the firmware and you are updated to a newer iOS and still have your old baseband unlock.

If you are using any other more janky options I am not sure what the solution is for you.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

jojoinnit posted:

Its the original day one jailbreak and unlock for 4.0/4.01, when you went to the jailbreak website and ran a script that gave root access so you could install Cydia from the site. It's a complete unlock and jailbreak that was only possible on the very first iPhone 4's because it honestly was a horrible backdoor that shouldn't have been left open.

That's why I'm not sure what the best upgrade path is that won't lose my precious unlock. I can live without bitesms and all the goodies, but if I can't switch sim cards easily then I'll have to buy another phone for when I travel.

Edit: Forget all that, this is what I have: http://thebigboss.org/official-ios4-jailbreak-out

Ok then you are fine. You are using Ultrasn0w. Just use any of the jailbreak tools, select to preserve your baseband and create a new ipsw. Once you are updated to 5.0.1 (or whatever else you decide on) you can then reinstall ultrasn0w via Cydia and your unlock is working same as it ever did.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

deathmerc posted:

Any known work around for iBooks not working? Seems a long shot but I miss the app already.

Jailbreak using sn0wbreeze, install the Corona via Cydia and then reboot the phone using iBooty. It will work until you reboot. Not a perfect solution yet but it works like a charm.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

jojoinnit posted:

Got it all untethered and unlocked on 5.0.1 thanks to you.

Glad I could help.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Reverting to an old version of an app if the new version doesn't work for you. Probably still considered piracy though.

It is all I have ever used it for. I really wish Apple had a legit way to get previous versions of apps. I am still desperately clinging on to my Twitter and Pulse versions since the new ones are awful.

I guess you could use it to get apps pulled from the app store as well. That is a grey area as well since you can't legally buy it anymore.

Let's not make this a piracy derail like every time it gets brought up though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone update iBooks to 2.0 to see if it works? I am not going to lose it again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Ok so I just got my officially unlock to go through. Is there any way to get it on my phone without restoring it? Every time I have to do it, it takes hour and hours and I am just not in the mood for messing with it until 5.x jailbreak comes out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ursine Asylum posted:

Tell me about it. I just got a snarky email from my IT guy about buying Apple products, and he refuses to enable any non-OpenVPN servers (like he promised to do a year ago when we flipped to OpenVPN in the first place) until I can get GuizmOVPN installed on my mini.

I'm torn between being irked that he'd go back on his word and being irked that Apple still doesn't support OpenVPN out of the box...but I think instead of either I'll just shrug at my boss the next time he asks me to do something from home. v:shobon:v

Yeah that sounds like you need to turn in your IT guy for not doing his job.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone know how to grab jailbreak packages on a computer? I'd like to get the stuff I need before Cydia gets killed later.

*EDIT* Found a easy way! http://cydiaupdates.net/

Djarum fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 4, 2013

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Damnit Weathericon is broken in iOS 6.1. I doubt there will be a fix out for it either.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone have the address for the Lockinfo beta repo?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Suniikaa posted:

Anyone know how to get skype working on 6.1? Just gives me the message about how it doesn't support jailbroken devices.

Just ignore the message. It works fine.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Don't update to the new Lockinfo beta. It will put you into a safe mode loop.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Ummm... If you bought a Virgin iPhone then you can unlock it no problem. There used to be a link on their website to do it but I can't find it to link. I have done it personally a bunch of times. If you talked to the stupid Indian customer service don't listen to a thing they say they are incompetent and can't do anything anyway.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Parts Kit posted:

That's odd, the only link I was able to find was for Virgin Mobile Australia and most everything else was forum posts of people saying VMUSA wouldn't do it for them.

Would this be a problem even if I found some way to get it factory unlocked instead of software unlocked? I'm on their prepaid plan now.

I'll have to look more closely when I get to work later today. I believe it maybe in your account section somewhere. They may have changed it very recently since they started heavily subsidizing them but I have had Virgin unlock almost every iPhone I have ever sold.

If Virgin has stopped unlocking their phones, just spend a couple of bucks and have one of the services have it unlocked. A hardware unlock is always preferable to a software based one, since it will never go away and you aren't depending on anything for it.

Having the phone SIM unlocked will not factor into your Virgin service at all, as Virgin (and Sprint, Cricket, Verizon) use CDMA and the radios included for said standard. Even if you used AT&T or T-Mobile it would not effect your service. Effectively it means you are free to use any SIM card from any carrier in it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
There is a big hooplah about the jailbreak installing a Chinese App Store full of pirated apps that can not be removed, etc for the Chinese market.

Personally I am just gonna stay on 6.1.4 and wait for that jailbreak to come out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

That gives most of the relevant information.

Personally I am less concerned over the Chinese App Store than I am about the binaries being heavily obfuscated so we don't know what is going on.

To quote someone else I saw somewhere already today.

quote:

So, if you want to run a heavily obfuscated application that exploits your phone, disables application signing, and installs uid 0 processes running on your phone... sponsored by China, go ahead. (The jailbreak app is heavily protected so that competing Chinese companies can't replace the Taiji app store with their own. But who knows what else is in there?)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am sticking on 6.1.4 on my iPhone 5 probably forever myself. Once jailbroken it does everything I want it too, looks and runs the way I want it too. I have a 5c on 7.1b2 here as well but I have never been much of a fan of iOS 7 and the battery hit it takes on a 5/5c is a deal breaker for myself.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Funso Banjo posted:

Is there some youtube solution that can block ads?

Adblocker on my desktop or laptop can just remove the ads fullstop. Every video just starts, never an ad. Any youtube app on Cydia or tweak that can give me this?

Get Protube works like a charm. Just don't update YouTube until they update it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cobalt Viper posted:

More and more apps are requiring 10 which is a little concerning, but the stuff that I use my jailbreak for (SE with scaled resolution so everything isn't crazy cramped / push notifications to a Fitbit Charge) completely outweighs any sort of inconvenience of being stuck on 9.

I was completely happy with my SE on iOS 9 until I got my Apple Watch and had to update. There is a ton of things I really dislike about the modern iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cobalt Viper posted:

I cringe every time I see someone post a picture of the modern Messages app with all the crazy App Store sticker game poo poo at the bottom.

The Giant fuckoff text everywhere pisses me off more. Thankfully the jailbreak killed that poo poo QUICK.

• Locked thread