Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way to fully backup my iphone to my harddrive through SSH or some other mean? What I'm looking for specifically are my notes, text messages, and photos being saved in the event of either loss or theft. Presumably these are all saved on the iphone's explorable hard drive, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Feenix posted:

You mean other than plugging it in and having iTunes do it for you?

[edit] It looks like my call answering problem *might* be sliderMod HD. I can press much lower on the button when I have it "off" in Winterboard. But when I have it on I have to press higher on the Hide Keypad and Answer Call buttons.

Right, but is there any way to make it intelligible? For instance, instead of hundreds of files named ffb541c48e97051fff2b1f906577cbef71123c4fb.mdbackup, is it possible to be selective about what's synced (outside of iTunes) and to at least reduce the number, or to possibly deposit each backup "bit" into its own particular folder? My main interest is also to have a folder in my backup drive simply named "iPhone backup", instead of having it buried under AppData/etc/etc/etc.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Trashman posted:

There is a program called iBackupBot that will read your iPhone backups and allow you to extract specific bits that you want, you could use this to get just the notes/texts/photos and save them to a separate folder?

I found it extremely useful when I updated recently because I didn't want to lose all my text messages but also wanted to start from a fresh backup, all I had to do was extract the texts from one backup and insert them in to the new fresh backup. Easy as pie.

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

This is so great, thank you!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Can you choose which iOS you want to upgrade to? Let's say you want 4.3.3 but not 5.0.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

maduin posted:

Only if you have the corresponding shsh saved.

I'm not sure I understand. I have jailbroken 4.0 and want to upgrade to 4.3.3 and not 5.0. I'm pretty sure I had my shsh saved back when I installed Cydia a while back. How do I go forth?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Download TinyUmbrella, plug your device in, open Tinyumbrella and click the Get SHSH button, and if it downloads the 4.3.3 one, you're good to upgrade (downgrade?).

I was able to save my SHSH through that, but how exactly can I upgrade to 4.3.3? The only option available on iTunes is 5.0

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You have to google for the 4.3.3 IPSW for your device and install it by shift-clicking on the restore button in itunes.

Thanks! Will this method of restoring keep my text messages, contacts and whatnot?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

maduin posted:

Read the section in the op about SHSH/Firmware, because you don't understand what's going on and are going to have a million more questions about it and it's going to end up breaking.

I did read that section but the details of the restore process are not explained. I apologize if I'm asking too many questions but the process is still unclear to me.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Does anyone else have a problem with biteSMS repeatedly showing an unread message when there isn't one? Rebooting several times or deleting the specific message in question usually works.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

adm posted:

This seems to be fixed on the latest LockInfo, for me anyhow, are you updated?

Yes, but I'm also running iOS 4.3.3 if that makes any difference.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I apologize if this is obvious but Lockinfo is only displaying one SMS at a time. I have biteSMS and 4.3.5 installed. What's the method of changing that?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

On the bottom right of the notification center/infoshade, there's a quickcompose icon for biteSMS. How do I get rid of it? I couldn't find anything through the options.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

adm posted:

biteSMS settings -> Quick Compose -> Notification Center Icon

Much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to change the bitesms purple icon that shows up via notification?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My little 3GS often struggles with the minimal loadout I have on it. Killing processes or using SBSettings to free up memory both work really well, but I was wondering if there was an automatic app for this? It becomes seriously unresponsive when I have about 10-20mb of available memory so that would be a good trigger point.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I installed Sparrow+ to make Sparrow my default mail app and while composing from a site works, the notification center and lockinfo still use the default mail app. Am I missing something or is that the best outcome?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Roving Reporter posted:

Stupid question but did you go into the Sparrow+ settings and turn on the 'Default Mail' option? I'm running the latest version of Sparrow, Sparrow Push and Sparrow+. No issues with either Lockinfo or notification center after testing just now.

Other than that, I can't think of what would be causing the issue.

Yeah this is odd. Sparrow also isn't showing up in the notification menu even though Sparrow Push is installed. Do I have to turn on Sparrow Push as well? I'm running 5.1.1 by the way.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My poor little 3GS is probably on its last legs but I'm reluctant to upgrade until the 5 is JBed (I can wait). Meanwhile, I'd like to get rid of a lot of the slowdowns occuring on it. I heard that many people are having their phone respond much faster by replacing SBSettings with NCsettings. I also hear the main culprit is Activator but it doesn't seem like I can get rid of just Activator alone without losing Lockinfo and SBsettings other features (status bar options and hide icons is nice). Any tips for improving performance? Aside from lockinfo and NCsettings, I'm running it rather barebones and the only way to make it bearable is through frequent restarts to clear the memory. I end up with around 100MB free on a fresh restart and it starts seriously slowing down around 20MB free.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

From what I understand, every iPhone or iPad bought new will have iOS 6 installed, correct?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What a nice surprise, the iPad 2 I just bought came with 5.1.1

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This seems like it should be obvious, but how do I prevent my newly updated biteSMS from popping up at the lockscreen in front of lockinfo?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I just bought a new 4S that came with iOS 5.0. It's never been jailbroken, is it at all possible to update it to 5.1.1 or should I just stick to 5.0? I doubt I'm losing anything major by not updating but just curious. If it helps, I have a JBed 5.1.1 3GS.

Edit: Hmm, it looks like I can't restore the new phone from backup because the iOS is too old. Any tips?

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 4, 2012

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If I already have 6.1 OTA would I need to restore to a previous version before shift-restore to a "stock" 6.1?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

"100%: Final testing and preparation. Come back soon!"

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This is weird but every word is getting capitalized while I type, on any app. It only started today.

Edit: Figured it out, ManualCorrect contributed this bug

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 6, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way to see the notification screen on the lockscreen without Lockinfo? I want to avoid having Lockinfo download Activator since I find the latter an unnecessary drain.

Springtomize 2 is amazing, exactly what I wanted for a while. Speeding up system animations alone is a godsend.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Also, BiteSMS suggests installing SBSettings in order to have a toggle to get rid of SMS notification pop-up. This all seems circuitous, so is there a simpler solution to disabling sms pop-ups?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kazy posted:

You can set it so only tapping the notification opens the quick reply popup.

Much appreciated, exactly what I wanted.

Ozu posted:

Bam. Springtomize 2 rules.

@FilippoBiga
Just submitted Springtomize 1.4.1-1: many bug fixes and enable Notification Center in the Lockscreen! It will be available soon in Cydia.
Wow. The update is already available.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Anyone else having trouble installing MobileTerminal?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Hamburlgar posted:

Uhg, I have iOS update time.

Created backup and used AptBackup in Cydia to backup Cydia apps and updated to 6.1 via iTunes. Went into recovery mode and then a reboot loop twice. Then had to do a fresh restore/update to manage to update it. - that took a while. And to top it off AptBackup didn't wok and now I have to install all my tweaks from scratch :/

EDIT: That's not even the worst! Now I'm getting a "size mismatch" when trying to install Cyia apps.

Just the fact that many apps still aren't compatible with iOS 6 (or offer a different version for that) should be enough dissuasion to start from scratch.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a list of good Cydia apps? I keep seeing a bunch of good ones just by checking this thread periodically but I'd like a one-stop shop. What about a blog or review site?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there anything that reorders text messages on the lockscreen so that the oldest ones are at the top?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Nickoten posted:

Is it kosher to ask if there exists a PSX emulator that can be run on a jailbroken iPhone 5? I'll change my post if it's not.

Emulator talk is completely kosher here, the rules are against rom/iso talk

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 26, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there any burning reason upgrading to 6.1.2 would be recommended? I want to avoid the hassle of the process unless there's a good reason to.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Cawd Rud posted:

It's a good idea to get on 6.1.2 before Apple stops signing it. The 6.1.3 beta breaks evasi0n, and they will probably close the signing window for 6.1.2 pretty quick once it's out.

Is the purpose of signing 6.1.2 to save SHSH blobs?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Not sure why someone said NCSettings was discontinued, an update was released just this weekend.

edit: It now has a toggle for private browsing and 'do not disturb' among a few others

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My bad, I had a hard time finding the changelog

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

I can't imagine having a jailbreak without Activator, not sure why anyone would want to rid of it.

It's a constantly running daemon that can be greedy with resources on older devices.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What can let me show date, time, AND free memory on my status bar? Barring that (hehe) what about date and time?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

So DirectionBar is great, but I'm starting to realize that running location services all the time kinda stinks. Is there a Cydia tweak to control various program, tweak, preference pane settings upon disconnection from a home network? I'd also accept one that triggers when 3G is used.

I noticed that it also consumes about 50-70mb of memory when it's running. The app is great but it could use a toggle option. Since I'm either at home or at school 90% of the time, I don't need to constantly know which wall is north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Are there any downsides to using iCloud for backing up a JBed device? I'm more comfortable having the backup on my computer but my tiny laptop is tight on space.

• Locked thread