Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Feenix posted:

Not to jynx my poo poo, but I have yet to get a letter from AT&T. I didn't tether THAT much (basically would sync my iPad 2 up to my iPhone 4 at work in order to update or buy an app on the App store for my iPad from time to time.) I've since switched to PDANet and have resumed tethering but really, really not that much.

I tether more then that - in fact I have my iPad set to tether automatically to my iPhone 4 using MyWi's auto-bluetooth tethering, so it fairly constantly tethers when out of wifi range (and when I'm at work because I keep it off my work network's wireless). So figure light tethering (email, web, occasional document syncing) on a daily basis? Never got a letter either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

TraderStav posted:

BiteSMS is the last hold out. I can get over not having MyWi.

GV Extensions is also a really good reason to jailbreak if you're a heavy Google Voice user.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Reporting back after upgrading from a semitethered 5.0 to untethered 5.0.1.

Absolutely smooth as butter. Used pwnagetool to create a custom ipsw without a baseband upgrade. Did the normal restore and was up and running in a matter of minutes.

Dorked around for probably 3-4 hours trying to get Siri/spire working. Definitely difficult to say the least, but having Siri working 100% plus the added functionality of SiriProxy is pretty cool. The downside is that it only works on the local network, but I now know the steps to get it running if I use a dynamicdns domain.

If anyone really wants a good walkthrough, I can post the steps that I used to get everything running.

Are you on a 4S? If not, how did you get past the authentication key problem?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Important - use Siriport (original), not the default. Using the default will force your phone into an endless reboot cycle, forcing you to do a full restore, come back to this thread to yell at the guy who posted above, and then note shamefacedly that it said which one to use.

Not that I would know any of this.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
So after the new version it worked after only a few retries:

So now my iPhone 4 can be as dysfunctional as an iPhone 4S, woo!

actually being able to voice dictate texts while driving is worth all the pain

It does seem to flake out after a while though.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
You should definitely install the new version (and the new cert) but make sure you install the correct one for your OS version.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
iPhone 4S / iOS 6.1, OS X version of jailbreak worked flawlessly and took about 5 minutes.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

JiUC posted:

Thanks, just downloaded. Can someone explain the steps to using this for stupid people?

Edit: mac version. I downloaded and ran the program but it didn't seem to do anything.

Uh... plug in your phone? Click jailbreak button? Click the Jailbreak icon on your phone when it tells you to?

Really, I don't think it's possible for it to be any simpler.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also as expected Cydia repos are currently making GBS threads themselves so don't expect to actually do anything for a day or two once you JB successfully!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

So - do we need to back up and restore and then update to 6.1.

And THEN run the jailbreak?

Yes. Also to be safe update to 6.1 through iTunes, not OTA.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
OpenSSH was one of the few packages I could get through Cydia, primarily because it has no dependencies.

Then, these will be handy:

http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/09/how-to-install-a-deb-file-via-ssh-and-terminal/
http://cydiaupdates.net

This isn't much of a panacea though given that until you get a package with mobile substrate installed through Cydia you're probably going to be trapped in dependency hell.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 4, 2013

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ev posted:

Anyone tried Touchpal? It's a swipe keyboard and works pretty well (so far). The app's in Chinese so you have to search for it in Cydia (actually hit the search button) but it's kinda cool. Looks like the same developer has a version of it in the regular app store too.

Oh god, this is so good. This (and MyWi) immediately raced to the top of my "this is why I jailbreak" list. It's the ONE thing I missed about Android phones.

Screenshot for people unfamiliar with the concept of swype keyboards - basically you just stab at the keyboard and the keyboard AI figures out what you type, with a far better interface than the default iOS keyboard.

Plus having to puzzle out random Chinese interface elements makes me feel like I'm a Cyberpunk 2020 character.

The only problem I've had with it is in typing out email addresses which the predictive input utterly fails at.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 6, 2013

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I know, I switch back and forth between the two - mainly I am nerdgasming about the better predictive input which works for both.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Interesting new lockscreen winterboard theme:

http://www.studiographic.ca/peekly/

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Example of swiping right to see your calendar:

The two biggest problems are that you never actually see the entire event (the screenshot shows as far right as you can swipe) and it only supports a Google calendar with public permissions. There's only so much you can do with javascript... Still it's a heck of lot cleaner than Lockinfo and Intelliscreen at the moment. It'd be cool if there was a decent lock screen app though.

Installing is pretty simple if you have OpenSSH set up, just open up an SFTP session to your phone and put the theme directory where it's supposed to be, then edit one settings file. Took me all of 5 minutes and 3 of them involved putting Winterboard back on my phone.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 11, 2013

• Locked thread