Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lothire posted:

If i grab the 4.0.4 update will i lose my unlock/root? Can i just redo it again after the updare?

Unlock no, root probably, and if so it'll be easy to reflash root.

Or you could poke around XDA or RootzWiki for a pre-rooted image that you could just flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Try placing a blank file named .noindex in the folders you want excluded from the gallery.

.nomedia

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

No. You lose unlimited on the entire plan.

What? I thought current customers could choose to upgrade individual lines to tiered data and not affect the rest of the plan?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Billy the Mountain posted:

My sister, dad and i are all on a family plan.
When i got this RAZR maxx 2 weeks ago, the salesman told me that my sister and father would both have to upgrade before June 28th, or we would ALL lose unlimited if either one upgraded after that date, and the whole family plan would go to the shared data plan.
I called them right quick and we all got upgraded, my sister to another smart phone with unlimited, and my dad from a dumb phone to a smart one with limited data.

The fact that there's this much confusion about this shows how ineptly Verizon is handling this whole thing. Although I guess most of the potential mistakes all end up working in their favour, so I doubt they're too upset over it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Are you talking to me? It has 32G of internal storage that was wiped when I did a factory reset.

It was wiped when you unlocked the bootloader; unless you ever relock and re-unlock the bootloader, that's the last time it'll wipe the internal storage. You can do as many factory resets as you want without touching the internal storage from now on.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Colonel Sanders posted:

OK, where did they jack up the price for a significant portion of users?

The only people who don't benefit are single users, single devices, trying to get the cheapest service possible.

450 minutes ($40) + 2GB data ($30) = $70
unlimited minutes and text ($40) + 1GB ($50) = $90

But honestly, I think most people are going to want text messages so it should be more like:
450 min unlimited text ($60) + 2GB ($30) = $90 that is almost the same as the new plans

1GB data not enough? An extra :10bux: gets you 2GB ($100 total) or extra :20bux: for 4GB ($110). The old pricing if 2GB wasn't enough you add an extra $30 for 5GB - pay either $100 for no text messages or $120 for text, and the same $120/month would get you 6GB on the new plan.

So as an individual, I kinda like the new plans a lot better. But family plans (which are most likely a significant portion of the users you speak of) get a lot better deal.

The old way, if you want smart phones you pay a minimum of $140 and for that sum you get 700 minutes, no text messages, and 2GB data. But naturally, most people will text so a realistic minimum is $170. New plan you pay a minimum of $130 for unlimited text and minutes and 1GB data. Hell you could get 2 smart phones, text messages, and 8GB data for the same $170.

Look, you can keep saying "everyone texts" as much as you want, but not everyone texts. Between Google Voice and Google Talk, I haven't used more than 10 texts in a single month so far this year, and that number could go down to almost 0 if my dad would remember to text my GV number.

The fact that you "think most people are going to want text messages" is irrelevant to those of us who don't. Comparing the price of an old plan with unlimited texting to the price of a new plan with unlimited texting is a pointless comparison for people who've never had and don't want unlimited texting (or minutes for that matter), since that's not something we want to be paying for anyway. Under the old plans, that was our choice. Under the new plans, too bad. That's what people are complaining about.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Colonel Sanders posted:

I don't know what the statistics are for who spends hours on the phone, who sends a million texts, or who uses too much data. I do know a lot of people still send me a lot of text messages. So without knowing the statistics, I still believe text massaging is popular and probably wanted by a majority of verizon users.

Even if this is true, a majority is still not everyone, and there's absolutely no technical or logistical reason to force everyone onto unlimited minutes and texts. Like bull said, the problem here is the loss of choice.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

JP Money posted:

I, for one, would pay for this service.

Especially in combination with unlimited minutes.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

cuedotnet posted:

What are the chances verizon gets a 4G Nexus tablet?

Pretty unlikely since there's been no talk at all of anything but a WiFi-only Nexus tablet, and Verizon doesn't exactly seem to have handled the whole Nexus thing like a champ anyway.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Folks who buy retail-price carrier-branded Android devices are just making up the difference.

Does anyone actually do this, though? It wouldn't have made a ton of sense before the "take a subsidised upgrade and lose your unlimited data" thing.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure, folks who want to get the hot new device every year and who have more money than sense (or desire to find a slightly cheaper flipped one on eBay).

Ooh, right. I think we have a few of those in the various Android threads on this very forum, now that you mention it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of bootloader shenanigans, whatever happened to the warrantyless developer edition of the RAZR? It's said since January that it will be available in the "coming months". Obviously their "We'll start unlocking bootloaders in 2011" promise has turned out to be the bullshit that most of us knew it would be, but can it really be true they haven't managed to get even this half-assed nod towards the bootloader issue onto the market in the US?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You were NEVER going to buy the Razr HD anyways due to the bootloader, so I don't know why you are so incensed about the battery they put in it.

Because Motorola somehow manages every time to make awesome hardware with one or two deal-breaking flaws, and when they finally introduce a feature that fixes a flaw on basically every other phone in existence, they inexplicably decide to walk it back on the next generation.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Rent posted:

Holy poo poo those new plans are loving horrible for you

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Got it, but if they upgrade a current line it'll change the family plan to shared data?

Not unless you want them to.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Miss Bean posted:

I am considering buying a used Samsung Galaxy S3 from Craigslist. How do I protect myself during this transaction? How can I ensure that the ESN is not bad? I've never purchased an expensive electronic item like this from Craigslist before, and I don't want to get screwed!

The most reliable way is to meet the seller at a Verizon store and have it activated right there.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I don't suppose there's any way, if I'm on a family plan with five lines, two of which (other than my own) are currently month-to-month, that I could transfer the remaining time on my contract to one of the month-to-month lines and cancel my line without an ETF, is there? Logically this should be the same, from Verizon's perspective, as transferring an upgrade, but I somehow doubt they'll see it that way.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm currently charging my Blackberry at least once a day, usually twice. I hope batteries aren't that terrible :smith:

That's because it's a 4-year old battery ;) He meant that everything will be a step down from your Curve's battery life when it was new.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah honestly I can't see how people would have a legitimate problem with this. I would EXPECT them to check up on employee discounts once in awhile...I got one applied to my account at the end of 2009 and they've never said a peep about it since.

If the schoolyard bully beats you up for your lunch money every few days, does it make you feel better that his motivation the last time was that his mom forgot to pack his lunch that day?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do you seriously have a problem with a company checking to see that the discounts it gave out are still valid?

E: I mean yes it's a way for Verizon to get some money back from people that might not be eligible for their discount anymore but at the same time...they're not eligible for it anymore...

It's not that I think it's valid anger; it's just that after years of Verizon shamelessly wringing every last possible drop of money out of people (elimination of unlimited data, inflation of smartphone prices, elimination of grandfathered unlimited data plans, Share Everything, probably about nine more things I'm not thinking of right now) it's not surprising that people would get upset at yet another instance, especially if they—like most normal people—don't think about their cell phone plans all that closely beyond paying it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MREBoy posted:

Asking this here as I have a Verizon branded Razr MAXX - if this more for the general Android thread, I'll head over there.

Ever since I updated to 4.1.2 last week, my battery life is noticeably worse than with ICS. I bought this phone on 8/1/12 and when I got it, it didn't have ICS on it already. I remember the rep telling me to not even bother using the phone & to plug it into power and run the update when I got home. My question is this: if I hard reset the phone, what am I going to wind up with in terms of Android version ? This is the first time I've ever owned an Android phone. Is hard resetting it actually necessary ? I (in my opinion) use the phone very sparingly. I'm using Firefox the most (random browsing), Skype for occasional chatting with some friends (text only, no voice), WiFi and Bluetooth are rarely on (unless I'm at home) and I've used only 144 mb of data at day 25 of my 30 day data cycle. I look at the near 45 degree graph angle and wonder why there are a lot more "Awake" ticks there ever since I updated to 4.1.2.

Right now the list of apps in Battery says Android OS 55%, Phone Idle 18%, Screen 13%, Cell Standby 10%, Maps 2% and that's it.

A factory reset will only wipe user data and won't touch your Android install, so you're safe there.

As for the large amount of Awake time, try downloading BetterBatteryStats from the Play Store. It should help narrow down exactly what's keeping your phone awake. Do you keep Skype open all the time? That could very well be the problem (it's kind of a badly-written app).

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MREBoy posted:

I don't leave Skype running all the time. I use it about once a week on average actually. I just installed BetterBatteryStats so I will post some results in a day or two. At this point I'm at 3 days 12 mins battery time and it's down to 30%.

Those actually aren't bad stats at all; I hadn't noticed that your previous graph had over two days of time since charging. You may be able to eke a bit more out of that battery, but you should know that you're already way ahead of the curve by Android standards.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Hello Verizon thread. I'm usually in the sprint thread, complaining about how terrible my service is, but today im here for a different reason. My girlfriend's crappy samsung slider is epileptic and shaking itself to death, refusing to charge. Fine, I've hit up craigslist and found a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Can you guys tell me whats the safest, least scammy way to go about buying a used phone on CL? I'm planning on meeting the guy at a Verizon store and having them check it for esn/anything obvious I might miss (at least, that what would work for sprint)

Secondly, apologies if this belongs in the recommend me a phone thread, but whats the quality of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon? Good phone, or one plagued with problems?

Thanks for your help.

Just double-checking—your girlfriend has Verizon, right?

The Verizon GNex is a pretty mediocre phone overall (piss-poor battery even for that generation, weak radios, slow to get updates because of Verizon's special snowflake testing process), but it doesn't really have any completely show-stopping bugs.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I'm on a family plan where the primary line gets an employer discount. Last time I bought a phone (December 2011), I also got a discount on the phone and accessories. I have a two-part question:

1) Does the employer discount program still work in such a way that people other than the primary line holder get discounts?

2) If so, does the discount apply if I buy a phone from Verizon off-contract?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

That's an awesome post and thanks for bringing it to my attention! What I now realize that I didn't make clear in my initial post is that I'm asking specifically about the discount on equipment purchases rather than plan rates. Will I still get the discount on the $700 full retail Maxx that I got on the subsidized $250 Galaxy Nexus two years ago?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

More than likely No. Unless its a very big company, like thousands and thousands of corporate lines with Verizon that has one of the older discounts that Verizon still honors, then you won't get a bigger discount on the phone itself.

You'll probably still get a discount on some accessories though. But yeah you're more than likely gonna be paying the standard upgrade pricing on the phone. If you're buying it at full retail then it's gonna be full retail.

I was afraid of that. It's a small local company so I'd be shocked if they had negotiated anything better than the norm. Thanks for the info though!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Hello again, Verizon Thread. Need to know what are the best options for a used Andriod phone I could probably find on Craigslist for around 100 - 125.

Previously found a Galaxy nexus, and was very happy with it, but dropped it, and Liquid death bled all through the screen and repair shops want to charge $200+ to replace it, so I'll just get a new phone. So, whats good out there, in my price range?

There's nothing good out there in that range. Another GNex, an original RAZR, or a Rezound would cost around that and all of them would be basically serviceable for a while.

There's also the iPhone 4 and the Nokia Whatever if you're not married to Android.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Professor Moriarty posted:

According to Verizon's page the G2 is currently $150/phone, so I guess that's out for us. We were thinking of maybe getting Galaxy S3s since my wife has rather liked her S2 (and I pretty much hated my HTC Evo 3D) but if there's any better smartphones out there that're reasonably priced I'm all ears.

Keep in mind that the GS3 is almost 18 months old now, and while it's a perfectly functional device today, it probably won't look so great at the end of that 2-year contract. The Moto X is absolutely worth the small extra upfront investment to prevent you from wanting to fastball your phone into a wall down the road.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The fishiest part of the "LTE-only phones will be cheaper to make and therefore the consumer will ultimately save money" theory was never the antecedent.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

This certainly seems to indicate that the soak test was short-to-nonexistent. Maybe they've halted the rollout because of all the bricked phones, but it's obvious they went to a general rollout very soon after the soak test was supposed to begin.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Moving this discussion over here. Has anyone tried this means of keeping your unlimited data plan when upgrading? Seems almost too good to be true.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but how are you getting "you can upgrade and keep unlimited data" out of that discussion?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

This seems like a good time to bring up the fact that Verizon's stated reason for being slow to release new phones and OS updates relative to other carriers is so that their rigorous testing protocol can ensure the highest-quality experience for their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

cuedotcom posted:

I was able to enable advanced calling 1.0 through my Verizon on my N6, just required a device restart. Haven't tested it.

How would one go about this?

• Locked thread