Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SpacedOut posted:

What's your employee ID? I would love to forward this on to the higher ups. :)

Might net yourself an interesting conversation if you've created this thread without the blessing of Corporate Communications. Not sure how being a tattle helps anyone here.

I had been debating switching to VZW when the presumed LTE iPhone hits, but these plans means I'd be adding $20-$30 monthly compared to my current AT&T bill (single, low voice & text user). Might be able to justify some of that by adding an iPad to the plan. Can iPads be added and removed at will from the plan, or are there caveats like it restarting the contract clock or being locked in for the contract duration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The problem isn't the backhaul from the tower site, the problem is with the wireless bandwidth. They would have to shrink cell sizes and put up more towers to support the kind of usage you get from residential broadband use, and residential neighborhoods are the most likely to fight tooth and nail against allowing new towers in their area.

And the math doesn't work that way more because all ISPs oversubscribe and rely on the fact that statistically most people aren't always using high rates of data rather than caches and the like.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

goku chewbacca posted:

Verizon iPhone 5 come SIM-unlocked. You can use a Mexican SIM card (and have a temporary Mexican phone #) when you can get there for cheaper calls and data. There are also some internet companies that will send you a Mexican SIM to you in the US before you go. Unfortunately, Mexico's anti-drug trafficking or antiterrorism laws make it difficult to get a SIM anonymously.

Or you can leave the Verizon SIM in there and pay Verizon's astronomical international roaming rates. Turn off data roaming unless work is paying for it. Probably ~$2/minute for voice calls.

Using your Verizon account isn't *too* terrible for Mexico. $0.99/minute for calls, $0.05 SMS receive, $0.50 SMS send, data is $5.12/MB, or you can add the $25 for 100MB option to your account temporarily.

Or get a local SIM.

edit: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

Verizon has done an oddly friendly thing with their phone variants in that they're unlocked for international use out of the box. You should be absolutely fine in just popping in the local prepaid SIM. You might have to manually set APN's to get data, but that's probably the only hurdle. Otherwise it'll be just text and voice.

An oddly friendly thing they are required to do by the FCC's restrictions on the 700MHz spectrum block they use for LTE: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/verizon-leaving-iphone-5-sim-slots-unlocked-as-required-by-fcc-network-access-regulations/

Don't think they do this for non-LTE phones (willing to be corrected if I'm wrong)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

dongsweep posted:

Figured this would be the best place to ask, I have a company issued Verizon Hotspot - can they track my web usage on my personal laptop? If so, how does that work?

I'd think they could see your data usage but not what it's being used on.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Defenestration posted:

I'm headed to Montreal for a 4 day conference. I have unlimited data on a "nationwide talk and text share 700" plan that I share with my parents. I use Google voice for texts, and I plan to use maps for getting around in the city.

Will I be slammed with roaming data charges? Will I be able to do these things at all? What should I do?

You should probably get the $25/100MB Verizon global data roaming deal turned on for the month. And be conservative in using it. I'd normally say to get a local prepaid sim but everything I've looked at shows that trying to do so in Canada is a huge expensive pain.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Here's the Canadian cellular thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492258, last time I checked I think the answer was "All Canadian cell service sucks, especially prepaid." I usually just turn on the $25/100MB Verizon option if I'm only heading up for the weekend and hope I can find free wifi before uploading pictures or the like.

This might also be useful: http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Canada

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

yamdankee posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm with Verizon so maybe?

I'm planning on visiting Australia for a couple weeks. Usually when I go on vacation I leave my iphone in airplane mode and I never even use it anyway. But for this trip I'll need to stay in communication with others. What's the most cost effective way to stay in communication with the others I'm traveling with? Get a prepaid microsim to use in my iPhone? Or does it not work like that?

Assuming you have a 5 or better: http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Australia

Alternatively, you can pay Verizon $25 for 100MB of data and pay $1.29/min for voice. (or pay $29 and get 100MB of data and pay $0.99/min for voice).

edit: The 5 should only block other US carriers on the SIM slot, and I'm not 100% sure it does even that.

fordan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 8, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

yamdankee posted:

Thanks! This is great. So from your first link I found Telstra which looks the most reliable. https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/prepaid-mobile/explore So I can just put that SIM in my iPhone 5 and I'll be good to go? Everyone else in my group has iPhone 5, except regrettably one has a Samsung S5. But that shouldn't matter, right?

Also, when you say I can pay Verizon, is that their standard international roaming? If so, I think I might skip all the trouble and just do that then?

I haven't done it with Telstra yet, but I have done prepaid SIMs for Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands with my Verizon iPhone 5 with few issues. If there are instructions listed on how to set it up with your phone make sure you bring a printed copy with you; sometimes the phone will need to have the APN changed manually. This is more an issue when you use a "virtual" mobile provider that uses someone else's network (which is not the case for Telstra).

For the Verizon option It's not the standard Verizon data roaming but an option you can turn on and off in your My Verizon or by calling in. It is $25 for only 100MB though, and when you hit Megabyte #101 they'll charge you another $25. Prepaid SIMs are usually better if you want a good amount of data; depends how much you want to use data while traveling. The $1.29/min voice is normal roaming with no package.

Also need to be careful about prorating the Verizon option, since it'll give you the option to turn the feature on effective on the current day or the start of the current bill cycle (maybe the start of the next cycle as well). If you do current date, you won't pay the full $25, but you also won't get all 100MB.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

texaholic posted:

I got an email from verizon:

I registered and it looks like I can order free pizza from Papa Johns or bid on beats headphones and many other things. I guess this is a brand new rewards program? Actually now it says I have 27,280 points.

If you're fine with having your mobile surfing, location and app usage tracked via Verizon Selects which I think is required to sign up for Smart Rewards, I suppose getting a pizza is the least they should offer...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

rex monday posted:

We don't have unlimited data. We just use a crap load. And she already went for early edge.

:aaaaa: For $300+/month I'd almost hope they'd throw in some free smartphones...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

What's Verizon policy on moving up upgrade dates? Switched over to Verizon 2 years ago with the iPhone 5 on October 5 or so (earliest I could get the phone with the way they did that phone release), now I'm seeing 10/1 as my upgrade date but was hoping to order the new iPhone which is releasing 9/17 with preorders opening on Friday. Am I likely to get a 2 week reprieve so I can order in the initial batch of phone Apple will release, or am I going to end up waiting for 10/1 and calling Apple Stores looking for the model I want?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

this sweet move posted:

With 100 million other VZW customers also clamoring for early upgrades as happens every time there's a new iPhone the answer is no. No way. Nope. Sorry. Negatory.

How about if I buy the iPhone 6 as a new line and port the existing number and cancel the existing line on my contract end date of 10/1? Or could I port the number earlier and put a new number on the old phone? I'll end up paying like $20 extra in prorated line access fees I'd think on my More Everything plan, right? That'll also get me back on the Apple true-believer upgrade schedule that carriers do tend to work around.

wattershed posted:

Apologies if this is better suited to a general iPhone thread, but in the case of the nation's biggest carrier, it seems relevant here...

I'll be migrating from android > iphone for the first time. If I exist pretty much exclusively in the google ecosystem, and I get an iphone 6+ when it comes out via online order, what's the process for getting my contacts over onto the iphone going to look like? My wife has the 5S, coming from android as well, but she did that in a VZN store and I'm not really sure what they did, if anything, to make that happen. Maybe it works automagically but I don't know, hence my asking.

Second question - what's the likelihood I actually will be able to get a 6+ via online purchase the day they go onsale? I'm reading a bunch of lame twitter jokes about "prepare for Apple server crash on 9/12" but I don't know how much of that's hyperbole. Do these things stay in stock for a minute or two then disappear for weeks?

Probably a better question for the iPhone thread, but at a minimum you can set up Google as a CardDav server for the iPhone. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4872

And for the second question: it depends. Depends on how well Apple has ramped up the supply chain and how flexible you are about color/capacity. Ordering it presale from Apple or Verizon is the best bet, and I'd probably pick Apple since they tend to hold more stock for themselves than their carrier partners.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

fordan posted:

How about if I buy the iPhone 6 as a new line and port the existing number and cancel the existing line on my contract end date of 10/1? Or could I port the number earlier and put a new number on the old phone? I'll end up paying like $20 extra in prorated line access fees I'd think on my More Everything plan, right? That'll also get me back on the Apple true-believer upgrade schedule that carriers do tend to work around.

Anyone able to comment on this? Apart from my misuse of the word "port" which usually means moving from one carrier to another where I'd just be moving numbers within an account, possibly just by moving SIMs at first.

Also, if someone feels up to it, might be time for a new thread; the first post hasn't been updated since 2012 which is the last time the OP posted in here as well. Went looking for some Edge info and found out we still don't know when the iPhone 5 will be available.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

this sweet move posted:

When I say "you can" I mean Customer Service can if you ask for this very specific thing. You'll have to wait for the actual end date of your contract as this process of reserving the number is not allowed for lines currently in contract because Reasons.

OK, great, think this would work for me, thanks! Now I should be able to swap SIMs and put my old number on my new phone between 9/18 when I hopefully get the phone and 10/1 when my contract ends, right? And then on 10/1 swap them back before calling in since they'll deactivate that SIM.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

I'm still trying to figure out if the trade in promotion is for an iPhone 6 purchased from Verizon or if it only has to be activated on Verizon. I did my order through Apple since I wanted to pick it up at a store.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Would have been nice before preorders opened. Oh well. Maybe I can get them to change my new line to an upgrade at the Apple Store (I probably won't be able to).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

nine16thsdago posted:

not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but i have an LG G3 on the verizon more everything plan and i'm going on a quick trip to germany.

can i get a prepaid SIM in germany that will work with this phone or should i add international service through verizon? i think i can expense either way (traveling for work).

thanks!

Do you need to be reached via phone or text at your existing mobile number by work? Do you have friends who will call or text you at that number where you'll end up paying roaming?

I usually do a prepaid sim with my personal phone when traveling unless it's a very short trip, I'm hitting a lot of countries or there's no good prepaid sim vendor in the country.

jackpot posted:

Help me out here, I don't get something: when you reset your phone like I did, Find my iPhone isn't even on it anymore; it's just an app that you download later, if you want to.
hone), my old iPhone still isn't showing up. Should I install the app on my 4s, login to it, then just logout and reset the phone again?

Find my iPhone also interacts with the activation lock feature added in iOS 7 and once turned on the Apple backend won't allow an iPhone to be activated without the AppleID password for the account it's associated with. I think the newer versions of iOS ask if you want to disable the feature for that phone (and prompts you for a password if so) when you tell it to erase all data and settings.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

axeil posted:

Also there's some speculation that the FCC's new net neutrality rules could result in capped data plans being banned.

How? I mean, I could see it causing possible issues with AT&T's "unlimited" plan where you get throttled when you exceed a certain amount of traffic, but even that likely is fine as long as it's applied equally to all apps/traffic.

If anything, I'd expect the additional regulation and neutrality requirements that limit their ability to apply selective bandwidth filtering would make them accelerate the process of pushing everyone on to data cap plans to help control bandwidth.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/verizon-wireless-customers-can-now-opt-out-of-supercookies/

Looks like if you've opted out of the relevant mobile advertising stuff in your privacy settings, Verizon finally will stop MITM'ing your traffic to add a unique tracking ID to every HTTP request you send out.

They've stopped adding the tracking ID if you opt out. Not sure they've actually stopped MITM'ing the traffic.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Is there any requirement to keep the phone that's under a subsidy through the length of the contract? I have an iPhone 6 I bought a year ago under the More Everything plan so it was subsidized and I am under contract through Sept 2016 (though I'm probably going to switch to the Verizon Plan since it looks like I'll get one more gigabyte for the same price). With the new Apple upgrade plan I'm thinking to shift to a 12-month upgrade cycle and get a 6s.

Obviously I'll be paying the $40 vs $20 line access charge through Sept 2016 plus the Apple monthly charge for the new phone, but is there any reason I can't sell/trade-in my current iPhone 6 that was bought with the subsidy? I know the SIM is unlocked; hell, it has a Vodafone ES SIM in it at the moment since I'm traveling, but I wasn't sure if there was any other type of subsidy lock or database in place.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Super Dude posted:

Don't you have to wait until your contract is finished to switch to the new plan (since the new one isn't a 2 year contract and your phone is subsidized based on your contract)?

No; it's in the Verizon Plan FAQs; you can switch, but the lines that still have active contracts will be $40 for line access instead of $20.

E: and you can't cancel until the contract period is up presumably.

Verizon posted:

You can switch to The Verizon Plan anytime, but the monthly access charges for all devices on 2-year contracts will remain at $40 until each device contract expires. Once each device contract expires, the monthly access charge will automatically drop to $20.

fordan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 13, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Rockker posted:

My Moto X Pure arrived...I'm trying to use the nano SIM from my previous Verizon device, and it didn't activate. I called customer service, they were just interested in the IMEI number and told me they couldn't find the device when looking it up. Guy I was talking to put me on hold to get someone else onto the call, who told me: "We can't activate the device because it is not compatible with the Verizon network" :psyduck:

Am I going to have to go into a Verizon store to get this activated?

Wait until tomorrow and enjoy your new phone via Wifi only for now? http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/15/moto-x-pure-edition-verizon-activation-woes/

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Got a quick question - I have an iPhone 5S and I want to upgrade to a 6S+ and I plan to just outright buy the phone at an Apple Store. Is this how I switch over the phone on my Verizon plan?

• Backup old phone
  • Turn off phone, pop out SIM
  • Load old phone backup into new phone
  • Insert SIM into new phone

Is that pretty much it?

I suspect there might not even be a SIM swap since Apple can go in update Verizon's systems to associate the SIM that comes with the new phone with your account. And if you're doing Apple's Upgrade Program they may require it happen that way to confirm your Verizon account since an account with a major carrier is required by the Program.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

What's the scam with Verizon's new plan setup?

I'm currently on the "More Everything" plan with unlimited talk/text and 2GB data for my wife and I. It's $50/mo base price, plus $40/mo per phone. Now looking at their website, their offer a 3GB plan for $45/mo base price and $20/mo per line.

So what the hell did they change to drop the price by that much? Being Verizon, I worry that they're trying to close some contract loophole or otherwise hamstring my service. About 6 months ago they called several times to try to cajole me in to a new plan and I said no, but looking at the new pricing I'm wondering what's different and if I'm wasting $45/mo by being on the old plan.

Also, I'm on a contract until March. Will I even be able to switch to the new plan, or am I screwed?

You can switch now, but the line charge will be $40/mo for phones under contract and drops to $20 when out of contract. And you're basically committing yourself to the new model of paying full price for phones, possibly with a payment plan; the $20/month drop in the per phone line access charge is Verizon getting rid of the $400 or so phone cost subsidy.

fordan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 22, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Also, what's up with the whole Raleigh/Durham, NC thing yesterday? It is my understanding that someone cut a Time Warner fiber line, which is what fed the local Verizon tower. So logistically, is there only 1 tower in the entire area? Or was this fiber line the backbone that fed in to a major Verizon hub or something? Or the more I think about it, was this a result of 1 tower going out and all the other nearby becoming horribly overloaded? I had data and sms, but no voice at all.

I'd guess that the fiber wasn't down to your tower but to wherever VZW terminates the voice circuits for the area. Which you'd think would be redundantly connected, but lots of companies find out that they were redundant except for that one pole both fibers leaving the building use that just got hit.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes, since the 6.

Well, it can do VoLTE; think you quoted the wrong part of his message. Which does give you simultaneous voice and data, but means your voice calls are only as good and only last as long as your LTE signal. I've had to turn off VoLTE since LTE service is intermittent at my work, so I'd get calls with audio dropouts and disconnections. 3G & CDMA voice are rock solid there, I think because they probably installed repeaters, but installed them pre-LTE.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Should I wait for my contact to end, or is there any reasonable way I can hop over to that newer plan soon?

There no need to wait for the contract to end, the lines that are still under contract will just be $20 more per month ($40 total) under the Verizon Plan.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

king of the bongo posted:

The phone is an iphone 5s. My questions are, is this plan possible? If a phone is put on a vacation hold, will the inactive verizon sim allow you to use the phone on wifi. Anybody know if the vzw 5s will work on the networks they use in spain? Thanks.

You don't even need a SIM installed to use wifi on an iPhone. And I assume the 5s will work in Spain, my Verizon iPhone 5 and 6 did. May not be able to get LTE though, especially with prepaid carriers that I assume you'd use with only a semester to cover.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Always do 10 digits. Hell, with how easy it is to roam internationally now with Verizon, always do "+1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx" so calls go through even when processed by foreign carriers.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Luchadork posted:

That's why I'd love to see Verizon do some kind of "music freedom" deal, because that's where like half my data usage comes from.

The FCC has been looking askance at such zero-rating deals as being violations of net neutrality. Verizon's done it for services they run like Go90 but I suspect without a bigger competitive threat they won't want to both give away data and annoy the FCC.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

No, thus haven't said anything yet, which on something like that isn't surprising.

They finally add throttling to plans and won't add it to unlimited data is my surprise out of this.

The FCC fined AT&T $100M and there's still an open FTC court case regarding AT&T's throttling of unlimited, so I suspect VZW doesn't want to explore those same issues with the regulators.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

This 1000%. Verizon's international roaming is so incredibly godawful (unless you're on one of the new t-shirt plans and only need Canada and Mexico) it should be illegal.

Verizon has awesome international roaming. Are you thinking of the old $25 for 100MB? The TravelPass program lets me use my number and voice/data plan in lots of different countries as if I was home for $10/day ($2 in Canada/Mexico). If you're going to be in one place for a while it may still make sense to get a local SIM, if you're moving from country to country it may not (though as was already mention the EU is trying to ease roaming/lower fees).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

It ended pretty much as well as it could have though - the tech put a note on my file saying that the SIM should work as the IMEI checked out fine, but there was no luck and I should be granted the $45 in credit as I can't use it. When the iPhone 7 comes out I'll probably get a normal contract through Vz, but I take it the stores don't get access to this system and thus won't see any notes. Am I best off giving them a call when preorders go up and sign up that way? Whatever is easiest for both me and carrier suits me best to be honest.

The general advice is to preorder from Apple you want it on or near launch day; the number of phones sent to carriers at launch is constrained since Apple prefers selling the phone themselves. Would it make more sense to open a new monthly plan account on Verizon via Apple preorder and try and transfer the credit to the new account (if that's possible of course)?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

They already do priority service for Homeland Security/Emergency Services (https://www.dhs.gov/wireless-priority-service-wps) and I'm too lazy to track down the relevant docs but I'm pretty sure 911 calls will also punt anything else out of their way if resources are limited. It doesn't seem a stretch to allow priorities to differ for other services.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Kind of insane that Verizon struck a deal like that with Comcast yet offers diddly squat in perks to FiOS customers.

Verizon didn't have much of a choice; one of the terms of a deal where the cable companies sold a big chunk of wireless spectrum they'd initially bought to become full-on wireless carriers to Verizon Wireless back in 2012 was the right to run a MVNO on Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

We also have to see if there are two iPhone X models, just like the 7 and 8. If there are, not all iPhone Xs will Work on Verizon.

There are 2 iPhone X models (A1865 & A1901), vs 4 for the iPhone 7 & 8. I think this means we should have a unified model for the US market, since only A1865 supports CDMA. Then again, I've never fully understood Apple's multiple SKU strategy.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

• Locked thread