Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Hoping a Verizon expert can tell me how this works. I have a 5s that becomes eligible to upgrade on 4/21 because it was from the old 2 year contract. My wife has a 6s. She likes the new 5se so I want to replace my 5s with a 5se and then swap phones with her.

My first question is do I incur any kind of extra cost if I just go buy an se at full price right now? I don't need to wait another 3 weeks to avoid any costs,right? I saw Apple was offering a trade in value of $150 for my 5s so I was thinking about just going to the Apple Store and trading in my current phone for the se.

Second, I assume it's easy to swap my 5se once I get it with my wife's 6s? Do I have to go to a Verizon store for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

What plan are you on? Depending on your plan, you might have to start on device payment and then pay it off to get the discount.

Also, Verizon is offering $160 for a 5S if upgrading to a SE on Device payment. Again that's if you want to wait. If you want the 64GB it might be beach ordered anyway, i know it is at Verizon.

And finally, Verizon has a retention system. It varies wildly what you qualify for, some people can get a discount on a phone, some do not.

If you are on the new plans you can buy phone outright and feel fine. If you are on the old more everything plans and are staying on them you should upgrade on device payment to ensure you get the monthly no contract discount.

Swapping phones is easy and you do that at home. Just backup both phones to iCloud, swap SIMs , erase phones and restore.

We are on one of those new family plans. The 6gb a month shared plan with the $20 per phone charges. I think my phone is still at $40 a month until after 4/20 then it hits it's original 2 year contract date. We switched to this plan back in September when we upgraded my wife's phone to the 6s.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This current iPhone deal is special. They're offering a large trade-in credit ($400 for a 5 series) but that credit is incremental over 24 months (so $16.67/mo) and you only get the credit as long as the iPhone 7 you buy stays active on its line. So if you trade in the 7 after one year, no more credits -- meaning effectively you got ~$200 for your 5.

Is there documentation for this somewhere? I seem to be challenged in finding all the specifics online.

I have a 16gb 5s and the storage limits are killing me. I was going to just go to the Apple Store and buy the 6s 128gb at the new price, but if I can get huge trade in credits at the Verizon store and just get a 7 instead I'd probably do that. I just want a phone with a decent battery life and plenty of storage at this point, so I wasn't falling over myself to get a 7 on launch day. If anything I'd like to do the most cost effective method.

Is it supposed to be $400 for a 5s? Whenever I went into the Verizon app to try to get a trade it amount it's always something like $90.

Edit: nm, found it on the Verizon wireless page where it spells out the 5 value in the fine print. I kept trying to go through the Verizon app and it kept showing my phone as worth $85. I'm going to go into our corporate store on Friday and see if they have any 7 in stock and try to do it there. Online shows a mid oct ship date and I'll be out of town for 6 weeks starting right before it ships.

Stan S. Stanman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 22, 2016

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/iphone/#trade-in

Shows $400 for 5 series models. That page states the line has to stay active, another goon posted that once you get into ordering with that deal, at some point it says the phone has to stay on the line, too.

I tend to keep my phones for awhile, so unless the 7 is awful I'm sure I'd be using it for at least 2 years. This 5s is going on 3 now.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I've been unsuccessful at finding a Verizon store with the 7 in stock to take advantage of the promotional trade in offer. I guess I'll have to order it online. The only thing is i have to go out of town for work for 5 weeks and the phone is estimated to be delivered in that time. Does anyone know how the trade in works if you do it online? I assume I keep my 5s until I get the 7 and then send it in? Is there a grace period to send it in? I'm wondering how this works if the phone arrives when I'm out of town.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Ok thanks. I may just have to roll the dice and see if I get the phone. It's hard to overlook the $400 trade in credit.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Pay off the $70. Can't tell you what a trade in value is without knowing the current phone model.

Any idea how that iPhone trade in promotion is affected if you pay the phone off early? Are the credits contingent on keeping the 7 on the monthly installments? I'm still waiting for my credits to show up, so no plans to do anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To my knowledge, the only discount you can have applied to the Unlimited plans is if you're active duty/retired military or a veteran.

What is the discount for veterans on those lines? I didn't realize there was one.

• Locked thread