Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Can we please not use the term "encrypted bootloader"? The SGS3's bootloader isn't encrypted, and even if it were it's not relevant to it being locked, or specifically, that it will only boot signed "boot" kernels.

"Encrypted bootloader" might be an accurate (but still misleading) term in the Motorola/OMAP world. But otherwise it's an xdaism that suggests a lack of technical understanding of the actual problem, which adds to the general pain and difficulty of discourse on xda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Aatrek posted:

There are a couple of TouchWiz things that bug me, but most of it can be hidden away while the devs work on cracking the bootloader.
Again, just in case it wasn't clear, the current bootloader already can run custom kernels and custom ROMs.

The present workaround method works perfectly fine. The only issue is that it's a bit inconvenient as every reboot requires going into recovery and applying "an update" but it's hardly a big deal, and something that can be automated in the long run if the bootloader situation isn't resolved otherwise. Incidentally that's exactly how I've been running CM9 on my Epic since January.

In other news, CM9 nightlies are available for the Sprint SGS3 model. I highly suspect that this would "just work" on the Verizon model if someone can get off the "let's brick ourselves 'hacking' the bootloader" and "gently caress you Samsung for releasing a dev unit and taking more of our money" threads to compile the drat thing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I bet the garbage file contains the decryption keys.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Random reboots aren't really random, they're due to kernel bugs and shouldn't ever happen in production builds.

Let's be honest, the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus was a lovely phone when released.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dickeye posted:

"Here, pay more for things you don't want and won't use! Trust us! Hey wait where are you COME BACK YOU NEED US"
This has been Verizon's MO since 2005 if not earlier. That's when they got rid of the $60/mo 500 minute family plan that was ideal for many folks with two lines that didn't use a lot of minutes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tofes posted:

I thought everything with a bad ESN was lost/stolen?
A lot of bad ESN devices are reported lost/stolen for insurance claims. I'm sure that in a fair number of cases those devices are later found by their rightful owner and later sold since they're an extra, non-working phone.

Also, depending on the market for bad ESN phones folks might be engaging in insurance fraud to make some extra cash by selling their "stolen" phones at a price above the deductible.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

This doesn't work. The ESN is flagged as stolen and you can't reactivate it. Things slip through here and there, but its not sure money.
I think we're misunderstanding.

If I lose a phone I have insurance on, and I can't find it for a few days, I'll bite the bullet and pay the $100 deductible on a lost claim and get a new phone and the old one gets blacklisted. Later on, if I find the phone, I can make pretty good cash, easily recouping the $100 deductible, by selling it as "bad ESN". How does that not work?

Mighty Horse posted:

The market only exists for "bad esn" phones because they are either, Parting the phone out to fix broken phones/or outright cloning of trashed phones with good ESNs or flashing to another compatible carrier like Metro PCS.
Right, and plenty of folks do all three things. Which is why a "bad ESN", popular phone sells for a pretty good percentage of what a "good ESN" phone does.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SpartanIV posted:

You're right I have access to other phones in that I could drive over to a friends house and bum their phone an hour or so, drive half half an hour to my parents, or call from work on Monday.
You don't even need a phone. You obviously have the Internet, if your computer has a microphone you can call them over Gmail.

Or you could drive to a Verizon store where I'm sure they would help.

SpartanIV posted:

However the point is that Verizon should have some kind of help available to people that don't have easy access to a working phone. It's just ridiculous that they don't offer email or web chat support or anything other than phone support.
Email makes sense, it's a hard medium to have the necessary conversation over to resolve this kind of issue. Worse, nearly all email is insecure, so there's no way they could verify your identity in such a fashion as to not expose your credentials to third parties.

You have a point about the live chat. I thought Verizon did have a live chat as the nag you about speaking to a representative everytime you look up plans on their website. But I never tried doing that to see what happens.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LaptopGun posted:

Only problems have been that keyboard sometimes drives me nuts between an overly aggressive autowrong and a twitchy Swype wannabe I accidentally trigger.
The Samsung Keyboard sucks. It's only redeeming quality is that it's themed to fit in with the aesthetic of the rest of the device, but functionally it's a pile of poo poo. If nothing else, try the Jelly Bean Keyboard, which really should've come on the device.

If you want something with better prediction capabilities, everyone loves SwiftKey 3. There's also the Swype Beta if you want to go that route. But seriously, the Jelly Bean Keyboard is pretty darn good for free and I wish Google made it a required component (even if not default) on all Android devices.

bull3964 posted:

It just puzzles me how Samsung managed to grab the #1 spot of smartphone manufacturers.
Honestly, because everyone else stopped trying.

The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone nobody's heard of. Google hasn't made any effort to market it and most people are unaware of it. Even where you can see a Galaxy Nexus side-by-side with an S3 a lot of people don't react well to it. They see this dark, drab UI that has none of the fun of TouchWiz. Basically, if the S3 is positioned to make impressive store displays and sell units, the Galaxy Nexus does the opposite.

Not sure what's up with HTC. The One X should be able to sell well, but they didn't quite accomplish the consistent branding that the S3 did. Their marketing strategy is also confusing, recently it seems like they've been trying to sell headphones or earbuds or something, given how much they were pimping Beats.

As for Motorola, I just don't think they're competitive in a world where they pretend that only one US carrier matters.

As for S3 "jerkiness", I find the performance of latest-OTA stock following a factory reset to be pretty good. Well, you have to give first boot a few minutes to deal with the assload of bloatware preinstalled on it, but it's smooth sailing after that.

Each of the US S3 units has the same specs, aside from the radio. However, Samsung did manufacturer some number of prototype/review units that only have 1 GB of RAM. Actually they only have 600 MBish since they ship with exactly 1024 MB less than the production models, and on both units about 300 MB is reserved as carveouts for peripheral support (GPU, hardware multimedia encoders/decoders, etc.). I don't know if any of these units made it to store displays or not.

Now, with all that, Qualcomm has been putting in a shitload of work on the S4's Jelly Bean port which should hit the US One X and S3 "sometime". These changes are being pulled into the S3's CM10 previews and although it's all pretty beta yet, it's some really neat stuff. UI rendering now absolutely flies. The other cool bit is IOMMU support which frees up nearly 200 MB of RAM previously tied up in static carveouts to support peripheral hardware. Neat stuff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

And that's why external battery packs have become a more common product on the market.
Sadly extended battery covers still look like rear end.

bull3964 posted:

It's just a lot lower PPI than the Galaxy Nexus, 256 PPI vs 315 PPI, which makes it easier to see the pixels.
Yikes, that explains a lot.

I'm alright with PenTile RGBG but, 300 DPI (or PPI or whatever, it's a fake number anyways) is probably the threshold where I won't actually notice it's PenTile anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alarbus posted:

Am I the only one not really bothered by the Galaxy Nexus battery life?
Yes, having to swap batteries (twice even!) on a semi-frequent basis is really unfortunate. It means the device either has an undersized battery, suffers excessive power drain, or both.

Phones should really be able to go 20-24 hours between recharges with moderate use and moderate-to-poor signal conditions. For most people, charging once a day isn't particularly onerous, but charging more often that that usually is.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kbar posted:

Has anyone gone from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus with the 2100 mAh battery to a Verizon Galaxy S III? I'm curious what kind of battery life difference (if any) folks are noticing day-to-day.
I personally haven't, no. If you're willing to tolerate secondary-sources on it, Droid Life's review does talk about battery life and LTE signal quality improvements, the latter particularly in comparison with the Galaxy Nexus. The comparison isn't as thorough as I'd like, but perhaps it gives some impression.

kbar posted:

Is the radio hardware much different in the GS III?
Yes, absolutely. The US SGS3's SoC (S4 Krait) includes an on-die baseband that integrates CDMA, GSM/UMTS, and LTE support. It's far better than past multi-chip solutions, and just works well.

kbar posted:

I don't want to reward Samsung with more money on the GS III (Wolfson removed, caved to Verizon on the bootloader, sorta incremental upgrade from the GNex anyway),
The Wolfson is more-or-less a necessary trade in going from the Exynos 4412 to S4/Krait. I can't comment on whether it's technically feasible/infeasible to add the Wolfson to S4 designs, but if it is possible, it would've been a good deal of effort for Samsung to shoe-horn (and likely fuckup) whereas the S4's integrated audio is a working packaged solution. So I'll give them a pass on that. No comments on its quality though, that's not something I evaluate well.

As for the bootloader, it's really not clear that Samsung had any real choice in the matter given that the S4 already includes a secure boot facility (which Verizon knows) and it was literally a matter of Samsung (being forced) to acknowledge it through loading of the kernel. Of course, that much was even a "botched" (as in, perhaps they made it just sufficient to pass internal testing) job, Samsung promised to release (don't think it's actually hit yet though) a developer unit as some means of compensation, and Samsung leaked an unsecured bootloader anyways.

I mean, it's a lovely situation either way. But it's pretty clear here that Verizon forced Samsung's hand on the matter when they've never locked down their devices otherwise. This contrasts to Motorola who, until very recently was consistently locking down their devices whether they needed to or not.

Honestly give the SGS3 a spin on CM10. Cyanogen has already commented that the latter (especially on the SGS3) is nearing the RC phase, so it's a good time. If it doesn't work out for you, I'm sure you'll have no trouble flipping it.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 27, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kbar posted:

What are you carrying these days, and why?
Sprint SGS3. Still on SERO, which despite Sprint's laughably-woeful 3G data service, is basically the right price for my usage habits. I'm not a volume data consumer away from WiFi, but I need email and Navigation to work nearly everywhere, so the voice/1x data roaming on Verizon and USCC when I'm out in the boonies is very much prized over comparably-priced prepaid options.

As for the device itself, I honestly have to say that Samsung/Qualcomm knocked this one out of the park. My experience with the OG Epic was "pretty good" compared to par, especially once CM9 became an option. But the Epic 4G Touch is somehow actually a worse device in nearly every aspect, and my experience with it nearly made CDMA Samsung (and frankly, has made Exynos CDMA Samsung) irredeemable in my eyes. To say that my experience with the SGS3 is the antithesis of that is an understatement. It's a rock solid, drat reliable device, that actually works well, and works equally well on GSM and CDMA, which is huge for us (Sprint, USCC, Verizon, etc.) as we really are second-class citizens otherwise.

Since I'm not really into Google Now I've been flipping back and forth between the stock ICS TW ROM and CM10, the latter of which is coming along quite nicely. Again, it's hard to emphasize how much of a boon it is the SGS3 was released as a nearly-equivalent device on five US carriers. The two GSM models (d2att and d2tmo) are effectively-identical software wise, running the same kernel and all, with the main difference being in the radio (and even those might be swappable like the T989 radio was on the Skyrocket :o:).

The Sprint model is probably the most painful (aside from the Verizon bootloader shenanigans) because rear end in a top hat-Sprint has, apparently, decided to forego SIM slots on all their future LTE and global (GSM) devices. But even that only required a little RIL hackery--shared with the Evo 4G LTE even!--and pretty much works. Hell, even the USCC model was brought online with CM10 with nothing but a single kernel bug fix.

But in short, I find the cross-carriers situation absolutely pretty amazing. Right now US wireless is pretty hosed and it's going to stay hosed until VoLTE hits and legacy networks die. Until then, this is the closest we're going to get to "one phone that works on everyone" and if they can keep this trend going for a while (one of the next Nexus devices please?) it'll be awesome.

I will say there's three downsides to the SGS3. First, it's PenTile (albeit 720p) AMOLED for those who aren't thrilled with one or either of those. Second, the capacitive buttons are the same somewhat-janky single-brightness ones used all the way back in US SGS days. On screen probably really is the right answer. But since there's only two of these buttons, one on each side of the physical home key, meh turn off their lights and who cares. Third, the S4's Adreno GPU is underwhelming compared to it's contemporaries, but as a casual-gamer at best, it's not something I've been terribly concerned over.

Edit: Oh, and the SGS3 supports SVDO for simultaneous voice and data over 1x/EVDO, which is at least an interesting, if not nice perk over the Galaxy Nexus.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 27, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

You were NEVER going to buy the Razr HD anyways due to the bootloader, so I don't know why you are so incensed about the battery they put in it.
It's because after years of frustrations over phones with pathetically small batteries, Motorola finally got the memo and did something unthinkable with the RAZR MAXX. And while you're probably right about the size issue with-respect to using an LCD panel (which perhaps also offsets its actual power consumption), seeing Moto put a smaller-than-the-MAXX battery into their next flagship can't help but to yield that kind of reaction.

That said, it seems other vendors have gotten the memo "please please just let us get through the day" and > 2000 mAh batteries in reasonably power efficient devices is a much better situation than what we've been in, in the past.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

z06ck posted:

Is there any benefit of buying a phone SGS III for example at full retail and doing a month to month (other than not being in a contract)?
There's two:

1. You can buy the Developer Edition model from Samsung which comes with an unlocked bootloader, should you decide to install CM or something at some point.

It's not strictly necessary to do so right now, as an unlocked bootloader for locked/Verizon sold/subsidized model leaked out, but if you were purchasing retail anyways, I might consider it. The downside is that it only has a 30 day warranty.

2. If you have unlimited data, you can keep unlimited data.

z06ck posted:

It seems the monthly price would be the same.
That's true.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

blakout posted:

I cracked my weeks old GS3 on the pavement today didn't have insurance
Send straight to Samsung and pay $180ish or whatever to have it fixed.

blakout posted:

is there any way I can work even a discount on a replacement at the store tomorrow?
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Baffling question:

How do I purchase, or otherwise obtain a Verizon nano SIM so that I can subscribe to prepaid data for my cellular iPad? It's a iPad mini 2, which I bought with AT&T prepaid service (that I also still use from time-to-time).

Apparently corporate stores won't give/sell SIM cards unless it's activated on a postpaid plan. I do not have a postpaid account, nor do I want one.

Verizon's website even advertises prepaid tablet data, but there's no option on that page to actually order or setup the service.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 29, 2015

• Locked thread