Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Hi folks, I'm wondering what the best course of action is here-

I'm thinking about changing over to a Note5. I signed up with Verizon in May and got a 64GB iPhone 6 on the Verizon payment plan. Would it be better to trade the iPhone in and pay the $400ish dollars to "upgrade" or would it be better to buy the phone outright and sell it? It seems like either way I'm eating some money which is fine (I guess) but I can't really tell which way is worse. It looks like the iPhone6 on Swappa is selling between $450-500.

Edit: it also looks like if I register with Samsung they'll pay 3 months of the phone payments with a $100 Google Play certificate since I'm switching from iPhone. That seems ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

TheWevel posted:

Hi folks, I'm wondering what the best course of action is here-

I'm thinking about changing over to a Note5. I signed up with Verizon in May and got a 64GB iPhone 6 on the Verizon payment plan. Would it be better to trade the iPhone in and pay the $400ish dollars to "upgrade" or would it be better to buy the phone outright and sell it? It seems like either way I'm eating some money which is fine (I guess) but I can't really tell which way is worse. It looks like the iPhone6 on Swappa is selling between $450-500.

Edit: it also looks like if I register with Samsung they'll pay 3 months of the phone payments with a $100 Google Play certificate since I'm switching from iPhone. That seems ok.

Just an update: I ended up buying the iPhone outright and getting the Note. The rep said that I would get a $350 trade in credit for the Iphone and would only have to pay like $100 for my early upgrade but that didn't sound right at all. She said I would get a gift card and could use that to pay for the early upgrade? It sounded confusing so I went with what I knew.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I have a question that I think I know the answer to: Is there anyway online to see what my ETF will be if I cancel service? I have one of those 4G home routers that I don't need anymore. When I signed up for it, I unknowingly signed into a 2 year contract on it. I have about 176 days left according to Verizon but I don't know if the ETF is $15 per remaining month or what. It's currently sharing the smallest T-shirt plan with my wife's phone so I'm paying $20 a month for something I'm not using.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Thanks to a corporate store screw up, I unknowingly activated a new line of service. I returned the phone and had them take the line off but I'm still showing an activation fee on my bill. I was within my 14 day return window when I returned it.

Is this an easy customer service call to remove the activation fee?

edit: Backstory- I was planning on leaving my company, and I had a second home hotspot on my account that's under contract to May. Rather than ETF the contract customer service sent me a iPhone 7 Plus that I didn't care for. I returned it to my local store to swap it for a Pixel. The store rep was unable to replace the iPhone 7 with the Pixel and created a new line after I repeatedly told him I didn't want a third line on my account. He said everything was taken care of and a few days later, sure enough there was a 3rd line on my account. Ultimately I ended up staying with my company and returned the Pixel since I didn't need it any more (company phone).

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 9, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

tonic posted:

Looks like it's time to finally switch to T-Mobile.

Doesn't T-Mobile throttle video on all of their plans as well?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Hey here's a weird question: With the Pixel2 coming out sometime this week, how would that work if I'm under a business line contract? For whatever reason our company is still tied to 2 year contracts on our phones. I think I probably have like 5 months left on my current contract. Is it like the olden times where I have to wait until my contract is up before I get a new phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, but assuming it's a company with multiple lines you can probably find an eligible line to trade upgrades with. Mileage varies by account.

Businesses can do both two year and device payment. Usually device payment is cheaper, but some businesses are really set on doing two year contracts.

Yeah there's like 5000 people in my company so I'll fight with the phone admins (they're a 3rd party company).

• Locked thread