Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Codiusprime posted:

If you don't believe me, go in to your local Verizon store and ask the first rep you see if you should have ATK on your Android phone. Just do it.

I just tried this and the sales rep popped a boner right there on the showroom floor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Am I just half-blind already or do a lot of you guys have some kind of supervision and can pick out pentile screens from a mile away and when they're in your face see nothing but a screen pattern? On my Droid Inc, or on the Droid 3 in stores I can't see the pattern at all unless I hold it perfectly perpendicular to my line of sight and look for it. On the 3 its more difficult than on my Inc too.

Not super-vision...super-spergin'

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

In case anyone missed it, the first shots of the Vigor have been leaked.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/26/exclusive-first-look-at-the-htc-vigor/

Yup, that sure is an HTC handset.

(It looks perfectly fine and I like the textured back, but drat have HTC phones been boring looking lately.)

HTC hasn't changed their style for poo poo. All of their handsets look like the same two designs: the desire or the incredible. 5 bucks says this phone is the same thickness and had the same microscopic battery as the others, while weighing twice as much as competitors.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

Hopefully it will be in the spirit of the OG Droid, and not the Fascinate.

Here's hoping for stock Android.

My guess is stock Android, but the name Droid allows them to put all their VCast and bloat on there.

:negative:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
So, after the Gingerbread update for the Thunderbolt became official, I started getting data drops and have at the moment no data connectivity at all on my T-Bolt. To be clear, I'm rooted, have a leaked version of the official build and radios inside, but not the official OTA.

I called Verizon about it and got tossed around to 3 different people. They asked me what my build number was and all that stuff, and I verified it using the build numbers listed on phandroid as the official numbers. They said that people have been experiencing issues with the OTA update and they are writing a ticket about it and should get back to me within a day.

While I may be bullshitting on which version I'm running, the data drops are there and I'm on their official 605.3 radio so I'm not sure what the issue is. All I do know right now is if they don't have a legitimate answer/solution to this problem, I'm going to demand a Bionic.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
So after trying a few different things to get my data connection working again, Verizon offered to send me a brand new Thunderbolt as a replacement. Whether it comes brand new or as a factory refurb we'll see.

Wanted to know a few things:

1. Am I allowed to just sell the brand new one and use the money to buy a Bionic off contract?

2. Will I get into trouble with Verizon if I do so? Would they even give a poo poo?

They told me that I would get the unit and would go and activate it to make sure it worked right and I would use that from here on out, so I assume it's a permanent thing, rather than a loaner. They obviously have the ability to look at my phone and see what model I'm using, and I'd need to get the Bionic activated with my SIM anyway, so do you think they will pitch a fit if I do that?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

thrannix posted:

Is this forum public? I have certain information available and would like to avoid any hassling.

This is a public forum, but membership costs money and Lowtax is pretty good about privacy, so you shouldn't be harassed by any outsiders for what you say here.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

So I am thinking of moving over to Verizon from AT&T. I've been with AT&T since late 05 (well, I used to be part of Cingular). I'm moving to Boise, Idaho and I've heard that Verizon gets a little better service in the area, not too much better, but slightly better nonetheless. I currently have an iPhone 3GS and would be upgrading to the 4S if I switched.

I currently pay about $120 a month for 900 minutes a month and an unlimited data plan.

Is there any specific reason I should/should not move over to Verizon?

Don't do it.

1. You wouldn't have unlimited data, which is worth its weight in gold considering all the streaming and cloud services that are launching right now.

2. what you're paying is par for the course, Verizon is slightly more expensive than AT&T anyway.

3. The 4S will be on AT&T and have better data speeds than the Verizon version.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

JayKay posted:

I just want to hear it has touchwiz and is super locked down so I can keep my target on the Vigor.

And then you can flash your own kernels and underclock it til its close to locking up in order to squeeze an extra 30 minutes out of the laughable 4 hour battery they will inevitably put in the phone. HTC is retarded.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Radio Nowhere posted:

What problems? I updated mine and it's running pretty sweet.

It fried my Sim card.

I just got done sending back three thunderbolts because each replacement they sent me was messed up, and the replacement sim wouldn't activate. it got so bad they gave me a bionic on the house and paid for my month of service.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a "trick" to getting a competent sales person at a Verizon store? Like "can I talk to someone who knows about Android?" I went in today because my Bionic stopped connecting to 3g -- 4g and wifi worked fine just not 3g. I went in and the rep did all the things I has tried (cycling airplane mode, battery pull, etc) then said we needed to factory reset the phone. I was wary of this and suggested swapping the SIM card as I had read that was a problem with the Bionic. The rep looked confused and asked a very stressed looking woman (who was helping 3 people at once) if that would work and was told it was something that has worked in other cases.

Long story short, the new SIM worked but I am glad that I had read that (here?) else I would have a wiped phone and probably the same problem.

The best way is to always research your problem first, and then go in to the store and tell them what you want done and have them do the legwork. If you let them, they will turn your phone off, pull the battery out, put it back in, turn the phone on, and stare at the 'About Phone' screen for an inordinate amount of time and then repeat 30 times before they ask someone else.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

deadwing posted:

Droid RAZR comes out on the 10th. It's finally time to upgrade, I've been eligible for about a year. This is it.

As a Bionic owner, I'm kinda pissed they would introduce a product that's literally twice as thin and boasts as good or better battery life and better specs overall within a month of their long-anticipated and supposedly flagship phone.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone know if there is some sort of "Magic number" on the amount of defective phones you exchange before you can convince Verizon to give you a different phone as a replacement? I know it is possible because my girlfriend exchanged 4 different pixi's before she bitched them out and they gave her a blackberry.

I just got my replacement X2 and it still randomly reboots and has the same issues as my first one. Right now I'm contemplating just exchanging the phones constantly until I have enough sway to convince them to send me a Droid 3 instead or something like that.

This phone always picks the worse possible times to poo poo itself and reboot. Im sick and tired of it.

The 4g service on my Thunderbolt cut out a day after they pushed the original OTA for Gingerbread out (but before they pulled the update). I never took the OTA, but when they asked me what happened, I just told them my girlfriend had installed it and now I have no 4g. They sent me a refurbed thunderbolt, which also had no 4g. So then they sent me another thunderbolt, and a new sim card. The sim card wouldn't activate properly and the new thunderbolt's earphone speaker was blown out so it sounded like charlie brown's parents everytime I got a call. Finally, after comping my whole month's bills, and sending three defective phones, they sent me a Bionic(which still didn't have 4g, but we later find out it was a deep network problem on their end which took an extra week to solve).

So, I guess for me the magic number was 3. I think it varies based on how angry you can get on the phone. I'm too polite to flip out on a customer service rep, so it probably took me longer, but I imagine that if they send you a replacement and THAT replacement is bad, you should be able to talk your way into a new phone.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

My dad took his Thunderbolt back to Costco and got a Bionic at day 87 of the 90 days. He was reluctant to do so because he said he had used it this whole time and thought he was gaming the policy.

He changed his mind when I pointed out that they expected that it would come back used -- they certainly cannot expect that anyone would pay 3 months' cell service for a new phone and not ever take it out of the box.

No, you jerk, they expected it to come back with a real problem, not just because you want to exchange it for a newer phone.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Why would you get a bionic over a razr at this point?

Different screen, ability to add extended battery are the two main ones.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

TenaciousTomato posted:

:stare: How could something like that even be released.

ahahahaha, let me know how that LTE HTC phone treats you*

*former thunderbolt owner :negative:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
http://phandroid.com/2011/11/18/hard-proof-that-the-samsung-galaxy-nexus-will-launch-december-8th-at-verizon/

Looks like its December 8th. Gives me time to sell the bionic.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Is the Thunderbolt decent for a Verizon/Android/4G device? I want to have something with good ROM support and the ability to lock down the double-your-data promo until the Galaxy Nexus comes through or something.

Has the battery life improved since it came out? I remember that a spare or extended battery was de riguer, is that still true with CM7 or some other AOSP rom?

The battery life is terrible. If you don't have the extended battery (which makes the phone an inch and a half thick, weighs a ton, and sticks out like a humpback), you have to carry around some spare batteries or be okay with putting the thing into airplane mode anytime you plan to walk into a building with solid walls. Seriously. I've unplugged it, walked into the grocery store, and come out after 30 minutes of not touching it to find it's at 75%.

The ROMs for it were alright, but despite all the idiots on xda talking about how battery life was 'totally sick on this one', I never noticed any appreciable difference. Not even Juice Defender on the highest settings worked.

If it's just to hold you over until the Galaxy Nexus, I wouldn't mind it for a week or two, but as a phone it's awful. I couldn't drive from home to work and listen to Slacker on it without bringing the battery down 30%. I live 30 minutes away from work, and drive across a blanketed coverage area.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
http://www.androidcentral.com/veriz...ource=pulsenews

$799.99 off contract, way to make your non-Droid brand flagship phone prohibitively expensive :thumbsup:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

750 PER LINE.

AT&T just dont want deadbeat customers. And statistically bad credit = lovely payment history somewhere.

AT&T said they would require a $350 deposit in order for me to split off from under my moms account. This is after we had been customers for 5 years and had fine payment history.

On the other hand, I think my credit score was about 570 when I walked into the Verizon store and started my own account. No down payment or anything.

Sooooo, basically gently caress AT&T

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
Yep, outage here in Montgomery County, MD. No data whatsoever.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

Call me crazy, but I Actually like Sense.

The clock/weather widget is awesome. The multi-function lock screen is cool. I like the "people" module over the stock contacts app. I really don't understand the hate it gets.

I am switch back from the galaxy to the Rezound, now that's its rooted and I can kill the bloatware and the novelty of Google Wallet is over (and there are only like 2 places I can use it around here) I just like it better. The screen is better overall, and I don't fell like I will drop it once and break it in half.

Also, I find a lot of the games I D/led from the Amazon store when they were free, (Plants Vs. Zombies for example) run like absolute poo poo on the Gnex. I don't know if its an ICS thing or not, because they run great on my Xyboard and the Rezound.

The thing that always got me with Sense was the stupid unchangeable dock with three buttons, and one of them was for personalizing of the homepage, as though I needed to have quick access to changing the 'Scene' or my theme. And then the color schemes were always half-assed and inconsistent. And lastly, the custom twitter, facebook, and contact widgets were all but useless and ran amok on cpu usage.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Plus you can just start an ad campaign saying "iPhone is slower than Android, look how fast Android downloads your youtube videos. Only on Verizon."

Waste time faster on America's Most Reliable Network!

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So I'm coming up on my upgrade (I bought the Thunderbolt on a 1yr contract), and I'm debating as to whether the Galaxy Nexus is worth the upgrade. My main concern is that the Nexus is just a marginal upgrade from the Thunderbolt. Is the battery life/performance *that* much better than the Thunderbolt? ICS owns, but CM9 will come soon enough, and I can live without the HD screen.

Has anyone made this switch and can shed some light on this?

edit: the alternative is to give the upgrade to my sister to replace her Droid Pro and take her November upgrade.

I had a Thunderbolt as my first Verizon phone, got it the day it came out and thought it was the poo poo. Turned it out was actually just poo poo. So I lusted after a Bionic and got lucky and they warranty replaced my thunderbolt with a bionic. The Bionic is way better than the Thunderbolt. I then got a Galaxy Nexus from my girlfriend as a gift for christmas. I can say, having used all three devices for an extended period of time:

The Galaxy Nexus is leaps and bounds better than the Thunderbolt. Every single aspect about it is better than the Thunderbolt, with the exception of that stupid kickstand. It lasts two to three times longer in the battery department. The screen is gorgeous. I didn't think 720p would be that amazing, but the 720p amoled screen is fantastic. The performance is better and snappier than any custom ROM or hyperclocked bullshit you can find on T-bolt dev sites. The reception is better than the Thunderbolt, the settings are easy to maneuver, the whole thing is prettier and more functional than Sense, and it has NFC and Google Wallet if you ever think you'll like that. The Galaxy Nexus is filet mignon, and the Thunderbolt is ground beef.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I feel like there's money to be made for Samsung and company to just make a theme generator and sell it to overlay on top of the stock android skins. Maybe some custom apps at a discount or something when you own the device.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

JayKay posted:

Is the LTE network on the Fritz again in the DC area? I'm getting no data on 4G but 3G is fine.

Works fine in Bethesda

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I pay between $91 and $100 each month

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

What's wrong with google voice?

it works like poo poo on anything aside from sprint?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

Even if this were true of the call forwarding and texting features that are only marginally improved by Sprint integration,* you know that voicemail works fine and identically on any carrier, right? You can even sign up for the voicemail service without signing up for any of the rest of Google Voice.

* it's not, these also work fine on other carriers with MMS and lack of free mobile-to-mobile minutes being the only issues

I've had 5 different Android phones (SGS, Atrix, Thunderbolt, Bionic, and Gnex) and the only one where Voice actually ever worked on the phone was the T-Bolt. Everytime I've tried to set it as the stock voicemail, the 'changing settings' loading wheel comes up and then never goes away; then all my voicemail gets routed to my regular voicemail, yet when I dial 0 or hit the voicemail button on the dial pad it takes me to the google voice number which tells me that there's no new vmails. And the visual voicemail doesn't do anything either. I've tried clearing settings and redoing things from the GV website, as well as clearing out all settings on the phone to do it as well. This is even with a stock unrooted Galaxy Nexus, a supposed developer device that should play nice with all of google's gadgets.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
or just throw a fit every time you go and upgrade, and they'll do it for free.

Kyrosiris posted:

Pardon me when I say gently caress the accountants.

:monocle:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Scale is 100 right now, at 36% with 7hr 45m on battery - phone was in airplane mode with wifi on for seven hours of that. Voltage looks good too.

Your phone is broken, send it back.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Tedious_Bastard posted:

AndroidCentral's VZW GN is hundreds of posts deep with people who exchanged three or four to get a functional phone without problems, so it's reasonable to say the LTE model is broken in and of itself.

These are not all isolated examples.

AndroidCentral is full of spergs who will return a phone if it gets a speck of dust in the earpiece.

So you can either get your phone replaced and see if it helps, or you can be a whiny bitch and keep spouting numbers and percentages of screen on time that NOBODY else here is willing to cosign with.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

What does the scale mean?

It's the voltage scaling in the battery stats. If the scale is off, the phone's battery isn't working properly.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Well, yeah. That's why it's time to get excited about the Razr HD since it will be sharing the same chipset as the One X.

Don't get excited about anything Motorola, they find a way to make absolute poo poo handsets.

Don't be surprised if you see an RGBW HD layout

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
Well, my contract is up in November, just in time for the new line of nexus products. If they baller block my unlimited 4g, I'll switch to tmobile.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
So basically I can pay premium price for my unlimited internet, and I have to bring my own handset from now on? Gee, Verizon, would have appreciated a dinner before you bent us over. :thumbsup:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I just ordered this 2250mah External Battery Case for my nexus. I'll do a trip report and how long it lasts and how bulky the drat thing becomes

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Tedious_Bastard posted:

That case is for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, the Verizon version is the SCH-i515.

Also, that thing is a goddamn abomination.

It's the same configuration, it should fit fine.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
Dude doesn't want to buy an iphone for his girl. Get off his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

right arm posted:

Nah, he's just a sperg who can't just buy his girlfriend what she wants and instead insists on the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich experience because of crapple.

Uh, where has he said anything about what his girlfriend wants?

MrBond posted:

In general, threads on SA tend to go poorly when someone's projecting their OS preference onto other people when it's a "make me a recommendation" question.

TBQH I don't think "can't pull music back from device to computer" or "drag and drop" are big dealbreakers with itunes match on the table. I'm not even sure they were ever really big dealbreakers for anyone aside for micro-managey nerds.

It goes south when everyone else piles on after he makes a clear distinction that he does not want a particular product that he must get it for whatever reason. If I asked what shoes I should buy and said I don't want to buy Nike, why can't you just tell me what the best Adidas are instead of telling me that I really should be getting Nike?

Not being able to manage the music without iTunes sounds like a perfectly acceptable reason. Or maybe having a big screen is a qualification. Or maybe she likes using the Swype keyboard. It doesn't matter, just tell him the best option for Android.

• Locked thread