Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I actually really like the Revolution. Even the screen, as I've never been a huge AMOLED fan. The unknown dev support is a huge thing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

SpacedOut posted:

I'm curious why you dislike AMOLED displays?

I've generally considered OLED to be the "future" of all flat panel displays, because they can display richer colors than an S-IPS panel, while also having true blacks. I thought Samsung being the only company with mass-produced AMOLED displays was because they own key patents *slash* they are the only company that heavily invested big $$$ into OLED before all the issues were resolved (i.e. blue diodes only lasting 10,000 hours).

I'd really appreciate hearing others' opinions, not only because I sell this stuff 40+ hours a week, but I'm also interested from a geek perspective.

The thing that turns me off somewhat is how they make colors look oversaturated. Some people like it. It isn't always the case, and has gotten better since SAMOLED+ came around.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

But alas, no free phones as rumored.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

I was all set to buy a Revolution, but I think I want the Charge for battery life alone. That, or wait for an EVO 3D.

Anything is better than this drat iPhone 3gs.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

Messing around a bit with the mobile hotspot on the Revolution while it's free, I gotta say, this is pretty drat slick. Turn it on, turn wifi on notebook, select phone, enter phone number as passphrase, done.

Pulling an easy 3Mbps on a quick speedtest. Not as fast as some on the phone, but not shabby at all.

Is that 4G? That's pretty terrible.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's possible that's the Defy next to it and not the Atrix which would make the size seem less extreme

You're right, it is the Defy. The Atrix is more rounded at the top and bottom.

Anyone with the Charge experiencing overheating with the car charger and navigation?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Aurium posted:

So, for those of you waiting on the SGS2, you get to wait until sometime in July, apparently.

Already outed as a miscommunication, unfortunately.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Barack Pwnbama posted:

I bought a phone and then did an exchange for a different phone. If I want to return that phone for a refund and just back to the phone I originally had, can I do that? Or is it going to be a huge pain in the rear end like I'm assuming?

Just out of curiousity, I'm still not 100% sure if I want to keep the phone or not.

Wait, do you want to go back to your original original phone before all this mess, or do an exchange to the first phone you bought?

Either way, you're probably getting dinged for $35.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Super Dude posted:

So Verizon says they are planning on rolling out 4g service in my area by the end of the year. I was really looking to get a new phone in the next week or so because my piece of crap env2 is about to die, and I've been off contract for about a year. It looks like the 4g phone selection is pretty crappy right now, but I feel like having the ability to use the service in the next year or so would be nice. What is the best 4g capable phone they offer now? Would it be better for me to wait another month or so to see if new phones come out?

Nothing is coming out within a month on the 4G front. Of the 4G phones currently:

Thunderbolt has abysmal battery life, but a lot of people like Sense. Best dev support currently.
Charge has the best screen and camera, lightest, best battery life. Decent dev community so far. Built like poo poo, you'll need a case. Most seem to hate Touchwiz.
Revolution operates similarly to Tbolt, with slightly improved battery life. LG's UI is OK, nothing significantly impressive. Almost no dev support at all.

I think the best overall experience is currently the Charge.

Krittick posted:

You could try something like Google Voice for a third party solution.

GV would work perfectly for this. However, you'd either have to tell people to text your GV number, or just tell everyone to call that and use the GV app to make calls and texts from it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Is 4g really that important? I've never owned a smartphone so I'm not really sure what 3g speeds are like. What's the best 3g phone? The X2 and Xperia Play looked nice.

I think it is. I wouldn't consider Verizon if it were 3G only. It is quite slow, usually in the 1-2mbps range. Whereas, a minimum of 5-6mbps for LTE, and usual speeds in the 8-12 range.

However the phones aren't nearly as polished. The Xperia Play is cool for what it is, but unless you're a heavy gamer, its a bulky joke. X2 is probably the best, but the reviews are a fairly unimpressive step up from a Droid X.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

fnkels posted:

I guess I'm going to have to jump to Verizon before 7/7 then.

If I have a corporate discount, but I want to buy my phones from Amazon wireless, how can I get my corporate discount added? Do I have to go into a Verizon store after I get my phones?

Another weird question. Amazon doesn't sell the Iphone 4 for Verizon. If I buy 2 phones from Amazon Wireless, then go into the store to activate a 3rd line, will the 3rd line get the subsidized price for the Iphone?

New lines always get subsidized prices. Corp discounts can be added online or in store.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Did she port her number? Sometimes service is really wacky for up to a week after that.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Cozz posted:

Yea she did. So there's nothing more to do other than wait a little bit?

Sometimes. Sometimes its a network thing on the providers end. If it doesn't fix in a few days, call it in.

BTW, have we absolutely confirmed the employee discount won't come off of the data plan if we are already in? That would severely increase my cost vs other services and make me not want to stick around..

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Jhonas posted:

I'm in the same boat as Kalibar and I think it is a copout. It's one thing to say "my Android phone only gets 24 - 30 hours while my iPhone could sometimes get up to 2 or 3 days on average," and another thing to have an Android device that is lucky to make it 5 hours on a full charge with minimal use and be bitching about how horrible that is.

If your response to a phone with a super AMOLED plus display and a 1600mA battery getting 5 hours even without the LTE radio turned on is, "welp, Android isn't known for battery life!" then maybe you're a terrible shithammer who should be beaten to death with a bag of petrified pig dicks. Because guess what, that is just not an acceptable answer and that attitude is the reason terrible poo poo like this is allowed to happen. Please stop "just going with it." If it's bad, admit that it's bad. Don't just tell yourself it isn't an iPhone so you better just deal with it.

I am not expecting the best battery life in the game like I had with my iPhone 3GS. I am expecting my phone to last 16 hours or so, especially when I'm hardly ever waking the phone up, screen brightness is always manually set to the lowest setting, I haven't used any minutes, and the 4G radio is shut off. That has proven to be impossible. I have a phone I avoid using that still doesn't make it through a day without more charging.

This is my first Android phone and while it has been a laughably bad experience and I will be trading it in for something else, I am not going to give up on the platform entirely because I am very sure there exists a phone that meets my expectations.

Still can't believe they had the stones to name it the Droid Charge.

I'm not really sure, but it seems like the Charge has really discordant battery life for everyone. During my work day (in the hospital basement, which actually gets great Verizon signal but no LTE) which is about 10 hours, and brightness around 25% (which is really more than enough for SAMOLED+, not for battery savings). I end up going home with around 40-50% regardless of if I actually turn off LTE or not. That ends up being around 1.5 hrs of screen on time. It goes fairly well for me. If I use the phone less, I'll have slightly more % left.

Contrast this with when I had the Thunderbolt in a different hospital where VZW coverage was terrible, and it died around 7 hours in with very minimal use.

I suspect coverage may play a part in some of this.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Bleh Maestro posted:

That sucks man. And, I completely agree, in that I think Verizon is making GBS threads on their own face. I completely bought into the hype of 4G at first, and got myself a thunderbolt. I'll be honest, I love android, and I love the 4G speeds (they are excellent) but neither of those was worth keeping that brick of a phone. I am now on an iphone, and couldn't be happier. Until they release a phone that can last a full day with normal usage on 4G, or even 3G for that matter, I'm sticking with the iphone. With the Thunderbolt there were a few times in the month I owned it where I would forget to make sure it was 100% before I went and did some half-day outdoor activity, and the phone would loving die if I didn't put it in airplane mode. Even 3G only I was getting about a half day on it. If I had gotten into an emergency situation, guess what, I wouldn't have a working phone. Not cool.

I'm quite pissed off, because now it's nearly August and they still don't have a phone worth a second look. Not only are they skimping on batteries, they are skimping on screens as well. Bionic is going to be 4.5 loving inches. They keep increasing the screen size, while the screen quality is staying the same or worse. I don't give a poo poo how big the screen is if I can see the pixels plain as day.

Lets not go crazy here, almost any 3G phone on Verizon is going to make it through a day. And the Bionic is not a 4.5" phone, it is 4.3". I'd rather have a 4 or 4.3" phone with SAMOLED+ or qHD then a 3.5 tiny thing with an abstract high resolution. Text is gorgeous on these screens - the iPhone's pixel density is overkill at the cost of screen size. If you can get both, you obviously take it, but the user experience is SO much better at a bigger size. Hell, I would have considered staying with an iOS platform if they were at least 4".

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Ha, and just like that...
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/27/verizon-support-claims-galaxy-s-ii-will-have-4g-lte/#more-41312

They were confused and talking about the Tab 10.1. So, nothing is confirmed about the GSII.

This is the second time whatever dumbfuck runs that twitter account has been talking about the tab when people ask about the GS2, sending blogs going crazy.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't think folks are intentionally planning to rip-off Costco.

As anyone who has ever owned a Samsung can attest, the major "device satisfaction" problem is not how it performs out of the box, but the ability/willingness of the manufacturer to properly support/updates it for, and within a reasonable period of time. And honestly, for any given device that's something nobody can know within Verizon's 14 day return window if the purchase it on release day. Is it, however, often apparent within 90 days.

From what I see, everyone who has mentioned picking up a Bionic at Costco wants to keep that phone long term. But if a Droid Prime comes out with ICS next month, and there's no sign of an update to the Bionic at the end of 90 days, or the Bionic turns out to be poo poo, they want to retain the option to exchange it for something that's going to do them better in the long term.

And honestly, I don't blame them for hedging their bets on this.

Yeah. I got my Charge within the 90 for the Bionic coming out, and I plan to exchange it. Not really happy about anything except the LTE and screen with it. Not trying to scam anyone, but I want a phone that isn't last years specs. I'd be really annoyed using the phone 2 years later.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

kalibar posted:

Did you try GummyCharged and a lagfix kernel? Makes a big difference. The Bionic's going to be a huge step down in screen for a marginal step up in performance -- the GS1's SoC is no slouch.

Yeah. Still didn't find it to be very impressive. I've played/had a dualcore phone and it makes a huge difference in smoothness in my eyes.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah well people thought the same thing when they announced the 3Gs and than welp the iphone 4 happened so yeah. It's not like it's that big of a problem or something like that.

He didn't say Apple was dying. At least the 3GS was a speed upgrade for a device that desperately needed it. The 4S doesn't offer all that much for iPhone 4 owners. The 4S is still a crappy release regardless of what the 5 will offer in the future.

3.5" screen in today's market is freaking ridiculous.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

immakiku posted:

Anyone have an educated guess how an iPhone's battery life might compare to the Galaxy Nexus's? I'm only considering it because of its ability to do LTE which the 4S does not have. If battery is going to be abysmal with LTE I might as well not bother.

Its going to be abysmal compared to the 4S. But you'll probably get a day out of it without issue. So not that bad overall. Of course this is just speculating, but there's nothing to say that it will improve battery life in any way over current LTE devices.

I can easily get a full workday out of my Bionic but the battery tanks FAST if I'm doing anything continuously.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Can I switch my individual plan to family and keep unlimited data? Was that ever an option?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

It seems like cost-wise if you want to get upgrades and not get totally screwed, those with unlimited should either get on a 2GB/4GB or whatever plan now so they can actually stay on it later.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

So, VZW Nexus user looking for serious battery life increase. Upgrade available 2/28 but I have unlimited.

Ebay/CL a Maxx HD for ~450 or wait? If I wait, I probably will can unlimited data as I only use 2-3GB a month. Any ideas of what might be on the horizon in 2 months?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Save Target As posted:

Will Verizon give out early upgrades? I'm 23 days away from my upgrade and I really just want to get my current phone out of here. It's performing really bad/slow, the battery life even with a battery I bought 2 months ago is only a few hours, I dropped it a few times a few months back and have these two big black spots that take up parts of the screen, still functional, but make it hard to text and read. I really don't feel like waiting a few more weeks and I'm just hoping they'd let me pass out of some kind of pity/close enough call.

Yes, but its variable. I was offered an early upgrade (2 months before contract up) for a Razr HD Maxx, but not valid for an iPhone 5. It is entirely variable on what CSR you talk to and the manager for the day.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Yes. That is the only way to keep unlimited data. Any upgrades will force you to a tiered plan.

You have to weigh how much you use data vs the savings from a subsidized phone, which is usually about 4-500$ retail, and somewhere around $300 or less when bought on Ebay/CL et al.

If you want great battery life, get a Razr HD Maxx. Camera isn't as good as some, but its a modern phone and has ridiculous battery life.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Just looking for a second opinion, I recently bought a Note 2 off contract and was looking to maybe hop over to Ting or Tmobile. My upgrade comes in a few days and my contract and I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 is worth it to use the upgrade, sell the device and pay the ETF or just pay the ETF now?

What's your current ETF? If you upgrade that resets to 325 or whatever it is at max, and you'll get no more than 500 at this time for a base iP5. So you would basically break even vs paying a small amount but at the cost of more hassle.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Yeah but according to my brother employee lines have to go directly through vzw. Can anyone comfirm this?

He does tech support for them so he probably knows for sure but a part of me hopes he's wrong.

Why don't you just try it and see if it works? If it doesn't, you go to VZW and get it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Yes, it works if you are on a family plan already, not from an Individual plan.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

wandler20 posted:

My genius wife thought it would be a great idea to hand my RAZR MAXX HD to my daughter while she was in the tub. It ended as expected in the water. Can I just take the sim card out and pop it in my Bionic while I let it sit in rice? Also, how long should I let it in the rice? It seemed to be working somewhat ok when I powered it down and it was only under water for a couple seconds.

you can, but you'll have to check - I think the Bionic used the larger sim

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Huh, if that 6GB deal is indeed for subsidized upgrades, I'm going for it.

Better than nothing...

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

I'm super happy with a 6GB plan myself, and with my planned 5S purchase this Friday, its good timing. I've only gone over 3ishGB twice, and its been in the last 2 months when I've had to travel and tether which I almost never do.

The overall principle sucks though, I wish they had handled it more like AT&T did - something I thought I'd never say.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Interested in that too. I might end up buying a 5S from the Apple store so I will probably go the retroactive route but good to know in case I go into VZW.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

For what its worth for people interested in the Max/6GB plan, I called customer care, and she knew what I was referring to immediately, notated my account that I had already been proven eligible, and said to just go ahead and do the upgrade, then call back and they would change it.

So basically what others in here have said, but I wanted to make sure.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

wait a sec, were people who did not already have unlimited able to sign up for unlimited during the glitch?

No.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

The verizon messaging client also allows saving and exporting your SMS threads.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

kensei posted:

I went in today to upgrade my GNex to MAXX but was told I have to sign up for EDGE to get the 6GB plan. Is it better to try over the phone or should I try a different rep?

You can just get it noted on your account over the phone, and do the 2GB plan, and they can swap it to the 6GB when you call in after the purchase.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

So....does anyone have any recommendations for a shattered screen on an uninsured Droid Ultra? :sigh:

Is Verizon still doing open enrollment with Asurion? Check into that.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Does Costco sell off contract phones? If so, what's the Maxx going for?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

ACID POLICE posted:

Sorry, the question is if there's anything to suggest AT&T and Verizon might kill unlimited for everybody anytime soon.

There's no indication of this. The current strategy appears to be "offer them something slightly OK and hope they bite".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Cicero posted:

Following my question earlier about transferring Verizon unlimited data plans, I called them today and they claim that while someone could take over my contract (which is month to month right now) and port their number in, I would lose my phone number. I have my doubts as to whether or not this is true (at first one of the people I talked to said I couldn't transfer for it at all quite adamantly), but I'm willing to go through with that if necessary. Already got a google voice number and everything!

It's true in most cases. There have been reports of some wizardry with porting out your number like immediately as you do the AOL - but I'm not sure how it works. From what I understand it's spotty at best anyway.

• Locked thread