Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

friendly gentleman posted:

Alright, that's good to know. I'm assuming I need to call, correct?

I called the other day and was told they couldn't do anything for me. She certainly tried though (I think?) - I was put on hold a few times while she went to talk to her supervisor about whether or not they could help upgrade to the LG G2.

She asked if I had any issues with my GNex. I told her "nothing a restart can't fix" - because I'm honestly not having earth-shattering issues, this phone just dragggs now (and the battery life...). Am I supposed to lie and say "MY PHONE DUN WORK" like most of the people that shuffle in to the Verizon Store?

It always pays to slightly exaggerate your case in those circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

If this bears out, that strategy will be even less useful since that phone would be labeled as "contracted". At least as far as killing the used market goes.

I think this needs to find its way to the blogs so we can get some semblance of official confirmation.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

So now that I'm back on the Swappa/used market - is there anything to the concern about buying used phones that were contracted vis a vis unlimited data?

Just didn't know if anything developed since we had heard the first thing from Ford Prefect.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Pre-ordered the LG G3. My mom got me a gift card for a indirect store. Before I blow that bad boy on a case, what are the odds of an extended battery for it? My last phone was a nexus and every phone up to that one had better batteries shortly after the phone was released.

I'm sure someone will release something, but the G3's back buttons are pretty recessed which may limit the ability to use a replacement back cover if too bulky, unless it is really imbalanced.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Yeah, I've decided to either upgrade to the G3 or the Moto X successor depending on what that looks like. Played with one yesterday and it was super, super solid. Incredibly light.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Just buy a sub-200$ used Moto X from Swappa.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Buddy of mine used his upgrade to buy a iPhone 6 for me. When it comes in, can I activate it without activating it on his line first or does that cause problems? Google seems to have mixed results.

Some say you need to have him call, some day if needs to be activated first, some say it's fine.

Just want to avoid it because he is going out of the country for 2 weeks and don't want to screw up his phone plan.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

drat, the 15gb deal in conjunction with the $150 portin credit and $200 iPhone trade in is tempting - I have had an unlimited data account, and my wife's ATT contract is finally coming up this month. Been debating switching it to more everything for $155 total before corporate discount if we do Edge with her. $350 towards the Edge device is pretty sweet.

Hard pulling the trigger off unlimited though.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

maduin posted:

I went to Verizon today and asked about this (my fiancee is on Sprint and gets no service here) and the guy I talked to there told me they could just add a line to my Unlimited Plan for $10 and give her a $50 for 5GB data package; this was quite a bit (like $70/mo cheaper than the 15gb deal). He gave me his card and I'm going back tomorrow to get the $150 port-in credit.

I don't think this is a real thing.

You used to be able to add a line for $10/mo but it would require a calling plan too. It certainly isn't an option on the website.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

You can also do the $10/mo line thing still, you just have to have a clever rep.

Even so, you'd still need a minutes/text plan for that line, no? Assuming the phone is actually being used as a phone and not a repository for the former add-a-line unlimited trick.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

So if I want a 700/1400 family plan should I keep calling? What's the base price on those? And how much for text messages on each line?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Moving this discussion over here. Has anyone tried this means of keeping your unlimited data plan when upgrading? Seems almost too good to be true.

The Best Buy and Costco tricks definitely work - just unclear if it will continue to work or if VZW will revert these people to 2GB plans.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

this sweet move posted:

Breaking news:

1.) More Everything Customers can sign up for a free promo 1 GB of data soon: http://verizon.com/connectionday

2.) Effective tomorrow 11/13/2014 completing an Assumption of Liability requires a change to current pricing. No more keeping your precious unlimited when transferring. :stonkhat:

Well, there goes the unlimited market.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

XIII posted:

This doesn't even always work. I tried to buy my Turbo outright and they wouldn't let me without giving up unlimited. The rep even asked the manager and he said I couldn't activate a new phone on the line without switching to a tiered data plan. Managed to get around it by using a different line on my plan, activating the phone on it, and then juggling sim cards around, but it's just one more way they're taking it away.

I mean, that's clearly not true. I would have left and gone to another store or ordered online.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

A sim swap is all you need now.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

ninmeister posted:

Is there any flexibility in the upgrade date with Verizon? One of our lines isn't until December 28th 2015, I was kind of surprised it's a full 2 years and not 22 or 20 months or something. I guess I'm still used to how it was on Sprint.

Pretty variable. The 24 month thing is a relatively recent change. They might potentially offer an early upgrade.

Cozmosis fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 23, 2015

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I am currently part of my parents' family plan, and I'm also getting married in August. My mom invited my fiancée (currently on AT&T) to join our family plan. There isn't any sort of weird rule saying that the two of us have to start our own separate plan after we get married, right?

No.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Sirbloody posted:

I just bought a Droid Turbo (Full Price) off Verizon's website since my Note 3 went to poo poo and I want to keep my unlimited data. Since the turbo uses a nano sim which Verizon is providing and since I didn't make any changes to my accounts data plan I shouldn't have to worry about losing my unlimited data correct?

No they should send you a nano SIM with it. If they don't you can always ask for one in store or have one mailed.

That being said, you should probably return or cancel the order and get one off swappa because they are going as cheap as sub 400.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

It's a great phone with an OK (but quick) camera, certainly better than the Razr M. It's still a very fast device with a nice screen and great battery life.

It's a good price for a good device - you can get it for cheaper on Swappa if you look.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

RedQueen posted:

I got an iPhone 5S with a new verizon contract in September 2013. I'm on the Nationwide Talk & Text 450 plan ($60, 450 minutes + unlimited texting) + 2GB of data ($30, $10 per GB for overages) + insurance ($10) = $100. Then a ~20% work discount gets applied which drops it to $77 before insurance.

Should I switch to More Everything? Here's what I see:

Pros:
+Go from 450 minutes to unlimited minutes
+Get to use my iPhone as a mobile hotspot
+About the same price ($40 line access + $40 minutes/message/price)... $80 for More Everything vs. $77 for Nationwide

Cons:
-Data overages are $15/GB instead of $10/GB
-Doesn't look like I can apply any employee discount

Am I missing anything? I don't upgrade often, once every two years with a new contract is fine with me. Being able to use my phone as a mobile hotspot is really attractive for some upcoming trips.

Employee discounts can be applied to More Everything but I believe only to the data component.

It sounds like you should do More Everything. The only reason to stay on the older plans is for people who have unlimited.

Alternatively, you can enable the hotspot feature on your account before you go on the trip and turn it off as soon as you don't need it. Charges only get pro-rated to the time you use and the employee discount applies to it, so it's like $23/mo before proration. I have unlimited and have done that on multiple trips without issue.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Deegan posted:

Wife and I are on contract with verizon and both have a upgrade available to us. I'm not a phone geek and I am just looking to upgrade to the Droid MAXX ($0) and she was thinking about the the iphone5c or 5s (because it's $.99). We are on unlimited text and minutes and 250megs on our ancient non-smart phones. We have about 60000 Verizon points.

She also knows she could use a milspec phone because she drops her phone ALL THE TIME. Any ideas?

I'm gonna stick with a 2-year plan. Are there any deals or discount codes I should be aware of? Would I be better off walking into a brick and morter Verizon store.

*going to drop this in the recommend me a phone thread too.

Just get the Droid Turbo for you (itll last longer despite being minorly more expensive) and something which fits in an Otterbox Defender or Lifeproof case for her.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Solis posted:

It looks like I could get a nexus 6 with 1gb/mo data and unlimited talk/text on EDGE for $65/mo after fees, whereas ME would be more than that. Mobile hotspot etc isn't a big deal, I just want a provider where I have the option to roam in Canada because it is such a PITA changing my number every time I go home.

1GB/month is pretty terrible.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

JayKay posted:

I'm thinking about jumping ship and going to Project-Fi. We are currently on a family plan with 2 smartphones and unlimited data on both.

If I jump ship, will switching my wife's from family to single kill her unlimited data?

Probably.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

68Bird posted:

Has anything changed regarding grandfathered unlimited data plans and adding tethering? My girlfriend says Verizon told her she could only add a 2gb tethering plan despite the fact that she still has unlimited data; I've also kept unlimited all this time and added a tethering plan with no problems last year, so I'm not sure if they were just bullshitting her or not.

Shouldn't have - just go online. It allows you to add it right from the MyVZW app or website.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

How is Advanced Calling? I'm considering activating it on my and my parents phones for video calling since I have Android and they have iPhone, and it's closer to how FaceTime works than dealing with a separate Skype app. 3G/4G handoff not working worries me, they're in Tampa and change antennas often while driving.

Got an HTC One M9 and loving it so far. Perfect size, G4 was a monstrosity to hold in one hand. Battery life is iffy, but I was spoiled by using a low power Moto E 2nd Gen which went a full day pretty easily. May buy a battery case though, if anyone can recommend one.

If you can activate it you should. Why wouldn't you?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Yeah, I'm actually half considering dropping unlimited and getting my wife on a family plan with me on Verizon. Right now, I pay $70 (after tax and employee discount) for my 450 minute line, 1000 texts, and unlimited data. She is on ATT right now.

I could get her on there with the 12GB plan, and be paying $60/device pre-tax pre-employee discount. And get unlimited talk/text.

Tempting, at least.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

kensei posted:

Do we know how the employee discount will work with the new plans?

No, but at least in my case it works out cheaper even without one.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Wylie posted:

Couple of questions:

I have a 2013 Moto X, and I plan to get the new one when it comes out next month. My wife has a Note 3, but I have no idea if she wants to upgrade or not. Our contract is up on 10/10, and we're on the More Everything 10g plan.

1. If I add phone protection to my line, will it cover my new Moto X even though I will not be buying it through Verizon?
2. If I switch to the new Verizon Plan 12g version, will the line access fee drop down to $20 once I'm off contract? I'm hearing it will, but you'll excuse my lack of faith, I'm sure.

Usually, unless a phone is bought from verizon you can only add insurance during an open enrollment period. But since the Moto X is so cheap off contract unless you have a history of dropping phones I'd just gamble.

And supposedly, yes it should drop to $20. You can always call when it's time.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

It doesn't. If you change plans, you'll buy it straight from Motorola for $399. You can do a payment plan through Moto. Your cost through Verizon won't change.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

If I want to change to one of the new plans, I kepe getting a weird $40 line charge addition. Is it supposed to be that or the $20 per line?

I believe they charge $40 if you are still under contract.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Buy something used from Swappa. Original Moto X is around 100 bucks now.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

To expand upon this, the iPhone 4 is a micro-SIM the Turbo is a nano-SIM.

No - the iPhone 4 is a no SIM card phone for Verizon. Only with LTE were there SIMs in iPhones.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Snaxxor posted:

I'm probably going to be making the switch to Verizon once the Xperia Z5 Compact is announced to them. Any idea how long I could be waiting for? Kinda getting tired of ATT

It will almost certainly not come to Verizon.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Got a quick question - I have an iPhone 5S and I want to upgrade to a 6S+ and I plan to just outright buy the phone at an Apple Store. Is this how I switch over the phone on my Verizon plan?

• Backup old phone
  • Turn off phone, pop out SIM
  • Load old phone backup into new phone
  • Insert SIM into new phone

Is that pretty much it?

Yes.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

fordan posted:

I suspect there might not even be a SIM swap since Apple can go in update Verizon's systems to associate the SIM that comes with the new phone with your account. And if you're doing Apple's Upgrade Program they may require it happen that way to confirm your Verizon account since an account with a major carrier is required by the Program.

Poster said they were buying outright.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

They still don't need to swap the sim. They will likely make sure you have iCloud backup enabled on your old phone, then simply scan the barcode on the outside of the new iPhone package and associate the included sim with your verizon account, replacing your old sim on the account. Then they will bring you over to a table to open the box and associate your Apple account which lets iCloud pull all your settings onto the new phone.

I mean you could just pay cash then do a sim swap at home but why?

Less people loving around with the account the better, especially if you are an unlimited data survivor.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

The Pure is unlocked, available for all carriers. Sold through Moto directly.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I thought you only got the discount on the base charge, not on the per phone charges.

That's correct.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

Now that the Nexus 5x and 6P are out and available (when they're not sold out), they say they're carrier unlocked, so if I were to buy one, I could activate it on Verizon, right?

Yes. As always, its easier if you have a nano-SIM already and do a swap and you avoid VZW buffoonery. But the band support is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know my phone has a SIM card but am not sure if it's micro or nano. I'm still rocking a Droid MAXX. Assuming it's nano it's just drop the SIM into the new phone and away I go (aside from dialing whatever to activate the phone)?

You have a nano sim. Just swap the sims and you're finished.

• Locked thread