Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cbear posted:

I have two phones on a Verizon plan, both with upgrades. One has unlimited, one does not. Is it possible to get both phones upgraded while keeping the unlimited data on the one? Thanks for any help.

Hope, unlimited data plans are not eligible for any type of upgrade.

Depending on your data usage though, you might qualify for a really good offer. I've seen unlimited data lines be offered a shared data plan of 20GB for $100 ($20 a line, buy devices through device payment), which is not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Duckman2008 posted:

Hope, unlimited data plans are not eligible for any type of upgrade.

Depending on your data usage though, you might qualify for a really good offer. I've seen unlimited data lines be offered a shared data plan of 20GB for $100 ($20 a line, buy devices through device payment), which is not bad.

How would be the best way to go about getting this sort of deal? My GF and I are going to be going onto the same plan to save a bit of cash. She's on Sprint, I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan but don't use much data.

We were hoping to trade her Sprint iPhone 5 in toward a 6s under this program, if it is still running when we get around to changing over. Otherwise we'd just buy a 6s outright.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

How would be the best way to go about getting this sort of deal? My GF and I are going to be going onto the same plan to save a bit of cash. She's on Sprint, I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan but don't use much data.

We were hoping to trade her Sprint iPhone 5 in toward a 6s under this program, if it is still running when we get around to changing over. Otherwise we'd just buy a 6s outright.

If you aren't attached to the unlimited data plan, stop by a store and see what offers they can get you. And yes you can get that trade in currently.

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
I'm probably going to be making the switch to Verizon once the Xperia Z5 Compact is announced to them. Any idea how long I could be waiting for? Kinda getting tired of ATT

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Snaxxor posted:

I'm probably going to be making the switch to Verizon once the Xperia Z5 Compact is announced to them. Any idea how long I could be waiting for? Kinda getting tired of ATT

It will almost certainly not come to Verizon.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a quick question - I have an iPhone 5S and I want to upgrade to a 6S+ and I plan to just outright buy the phone at an Apple Store. Is this how I switch over the phone on my Verizon plan?

• Backup old phone
  • Turn off phone, pop out SIM
  • Load old phone backup into new phone
  • Insert SIM into new phone

Is that pretty much it?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Got a quick question - I have an iPhone 5S and I want to upgrade to a 6S+ and I plan to just outright buy the phone at an Apple Store. Is this how I switch over the phone on my Verizon plan?

• Backup old phone

Is that pretty much it?

Yes.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Three-Phase posted:

• Backup old phone

Is that pretty much it?

I suspect there might not even be a SIM swap since Apple can go in update Verizon's systems to associate the SIM that comes with the new phone with your account. And if you're doing Apple's Upgrade Program they may require it happen that way to confirm your Verizon account since an account with a major carrier is required by the Program.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

fordan posted:

I suspect there might not even be a SIM swap since Apple can go in update Verizon's systems to associate the SIM that comes with the new phone with your account. And if you're doing Apple's Upgrade Program they may require it happen that way to confirm your Verizon account since an account with a major carrier is required by the Program.

Poster said they were buying outright.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In case anyone is wondering, VoLTE and simultaneous Voice/Data work just fine on the Moto X Pure.

It is weird going back to a phone with stock mobile icons in the notification area. It's so much cleaner than 4G LTE branding.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cozmosis posted:

Poster said they were buying outright.

They still don't need to swap the sim. They will likely make sure you have iCloud backup enabled on your old phone, then simply scan the barcode on the outside of the new iPhone package and associate the included sim with your verizon account, replacing your old sim on the account. Then they will bring you over to a table to open the box and associate your Apple account which lets iCloud pull all your settings onto the new phone.

I mean you could just pay cash then do a sim swap at home but why?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I wouldn't dare let an employee lay a finger on my pristine apple box or product.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

They still don't need to swap the sim. They will likely make sure you have iCloud backup enabled on your old phone, then simply scan the barcode on the outside of the new iPhone package and associate the included sim with your verizon account, replacing your old sim on the account. Then they will bring you over to a table to open the box and associate your Apple account which lets iCloud pull all your settings onto the new phone.

I mean you could just pay cash then do a sim swap at home but why?

Less people loving around with the account the better, especially if you are an unlimited data survivor.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Don Lapre posted:

Have you tried just asking for a microcell?

Is this a thing they will do? I have been with Verizon for like 6 years and always had lovely reception in my house. I have stopped bothering trying to make calls with my cell because they just constantly drop.

edit: Is the Moto X Pure everyone is splooging about coming to Verizon at some point? I don't follow phone poo poo usually but my wife and I are eligible for upgrades through EDGE. I currently have a MAXX and she has a iPhone 5S.

hitachi fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 22, 2015

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

The Pure is unlocked, available for all carriers. Sold through Moto directly.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

hitachi posted:

edit: Is the Moto X Pure everyone is splooging about coming to Verizon at some point? I don't follow phone poo poo usually but my wife and I are eligible for upgrades through EDGE. I currently have a MAXX and she has a iPhone 5S.

If you want another Android phone, I would suggest waiting a week to see if the new Nexus phones interest you.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What's the scam with Verizon's new plan setup?

I'm currently on the "More Everything" plan with unlimited talk/text and 2GB data for my wife and I. It's $50/mo base price, plus $40/mo per phone. Now looking at their website, their offer a 3GB plan for $45/mo base price and $20/mo per line.

So what the hell did they change to drop the price by that much? Being Verizon, I worry that they're trying to close some contract loophole or otherwise hamstring my service. About 6 months ago they called several times to try to cajole me in to a new plan and I said no, but looking at the new pricing I'm wondering what's different and if I'm wasting $45/mo by being on the old plan.

Also, I'm on a contract until March. Will I even be able to switch to the new plan, or am I screwed?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I went from a 10GB "More everything" to a 3GB "THE VERIZON PLAN MEDIUM" plan and my bill went down $4

I feel like switching plans was a ripoff and I can't figure out what happened.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

I'm currently on the "More Everything" plan with unlimited talk/text and 2GB data for my wife and I. It's $50/mo base price, plus $40/mo per phone. Now looking at their website, their offer a 3GB plan for $45/mo base price and $20/mo per line.

So what the hell did they change to drop the price by that much? Being Verizon, I worry that they're trying to close some contract loophole or otherwise hamstring my service. About 6 months ago they called several times to try to cajole me in to a new plan and I said no, but looking at the new pricing I'm wondering what's different and if I'm wasting $45/mo by being on the old plan.

Also, I'm on a contract until March. Will I even be able to switch to the new plan, or am I screwed?

You can switch now, but the line charge will be $40/mo for phones under contract and drops to $20 when out of contract. And you're basically committing yourself to the new model of paying full price for phones, possibly with a payment plan; the $20/month drop in the per phone line access charge is Verizon getting rid of the $400 or so phone cost subsidy.

fordan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 22, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

You can switch to the new plans, but your lines would be $40 a month until your contract is up. Not really any scam beyond they're moving away from two year contracts, but even with that the new plans will be slightly better than your current one.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

fordan posted:

You can switch now, but the line charge will be $40/mo for phones under contract and drops to $20 when out of contract. And you're basically committing yourself to the new model of paying full price for phones, possibly with a payment plan; the $20/month drop in the per phone line access charge is Verizon getting rid of the $400 or so phone cost subsidy.

Ah, I see what they did...I didn't realize they don't subsidize phones anymore. Yay for t-mobile shaking up the market I guess...

I was concerned that they found some flaw in their contract verbiage that people were taking advantage of, so they were trying to lure everyone in to signing new terms and conditions to close the hole.

Also, what's up with the whole Raleigh/Durham, NC thing yesterday? It is my understanding that someone cut a Time Warner fiber line, which is what fed the local Verizon tower. So logistically, is there only 1 tower in the entire area? Or was this fiber line the backbone that fed in to a major Verizon hub or something? Or the more I think about it, was this a result of 1 tower going out and all the other nearby becoming horribly overloaded? I had data and sms, but no voice at all.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

DaveSauce posted:

Depending on the age of your More Everything plan, you might want to look into what your line access charge will be. Ours actually goes down to $15 once off contract instead of the $20 on the Verizon Plan. So for our family plan we're better off staying with the More Everything plan and doing device payment plans than switching to the new plan.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Also, what's up with the whole Raleigh/Durham, NC thing yesterday? It is my understanding that someone cut a Time Warner fiber line, which is what fed the local Verizon tower. So logistically, is there only 1 tower in the entire area? Or was this fiber line the backbone that fed in to a major Verizon hub or something? Or the more I think about it, was this a result of 1 tower going out and all the other nearby becoming horribly overloaded? I had data and sms, but no voice at all.

I'd guess that the fiber wasn't down to your tower but to wherever VZW terminates the voice circuits for the area. Which you'd think would be redundantly connected, but lots of companies find out that they were redundant except for that one pole both fibers leaving the building use that just got hit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

Ah, I see what they did...I didn't realize they don't subsidize phones anymore. Yay for t-mobile shaking up the market I guess...

I was concerned that they found some flaw in their contract verbiage that people were taking advantage of, so they were trying to lure everyone in to signing new terms and conditions to close the hole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM#Network_structure

I know that VZ isn't GSM, but that's a decent generic example.

Phone networks aren't as simple as "towers in the area," especially in this example. There are probably a ton of towers in an area like that, but there are a limited amount of some parts (its either switches or base stations), so yeah, if 50+ towers are connected to one base station, that can be bad news with a fiber cut. That's about the extent of my knowledge, but something along that is likely you're explanation.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So how do you activate the Moto X Pure on Verizon? Do I just pop in my old SIM or do I need to do some shenanigans on the website?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

So how do you activate the Moto X Pure on Verizon? Do I just pop in my old SIM or do I need to do some shenanigans on the website?

Just pop in SIM, assuming its the same size. If not, go to corp store and get a new SIM.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Falco posted:

Depending on the age of your More Everything plan, you might want to look into what your line access charge will be. Ours actually goes down to $15 once off contract instead of the $20 on the Verizon Plan. So for our family plan we're better off staying with the More Everything plan and doing device payment plans than switching to the new plan.

Can I find that out online, or do I have to ask someone at Verizon about it? I think our "More Everything" plan is the oldest version...we got it when the HTC M8 came out. I'm pretty sure they just changed the plan on us without even asking as well.

fordan posted:

I'd guess that the fiber wasn't down to your tower but to wherever VZW terminates the voice circuits for the area. Which you'd think would be redundantly connected, but lots of companies find out that they were redundant except for that one pole both fibers leaving the building use that just got hit.

Duckman2008 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM#Network_structure

I know that VZ isn't GSM, but that's a decent generic example.

Phone networks aren't as simple as "towers in the area," especially in this example. There are probably a ton of towers in an area like that, but there are a limited amount of some parts (its either switches or base stations), so yeah, if 50+ towers are connected to one base station, that can be bad news with a fiber cut. That's about the extent of my knowledge, but something along that is likely you're explanation.

Thanks. I figured there was a lot more to it, but I know nothing of the network architecture. This vague notion of a tower going dark is all I really have in my head.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Just pop in SIM, assuming its the same size. If not, go to corp store and get a new SIM.

I bought myself a SIM cutter to go from my microSIM to a nanoSIM. That should work right? This is the microSIM in my current phone that works on Verizon.

I'm paranoid about going to Verizon as I'm afraid they'll try and take away my unlimited, gently caress with my phone or refuse to activate it because it's not filled with Verizon shitware. I'm someone Verizon hates as I have unlimited and I unlock my bootloader and root and put on custom ROMs, etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

I bought myself a SIM cutter to go from my microSIM to a nanoSIM. That should work right? This is the microSIM in my current phone that works on Verizon.

I'm paranoid about going to Verizon as I'm afraid they'll try and take away my unlimited, gently caress with my phone or refuse to activate it because it's not filled with Verizon shitware. I'm someone Verizon hates as I have unlimited and I unlock my bootloader and root and put on custom ROMs, etc.

Well, I guess it depends on the store, but the employees won't care that much. Its just activate SIM card, here's your SIM, bye bye. If anyone changed your plan without permission they can get in major trouble (that's all carriers), you just have to monitor it. Most of the horror stories tend to be people who lost whatever plan, then complained months later instead of days later.

The SIM card cutter will be fine as long as you don't gently caress up the card, if you run into any issues go by a store and just be polite. They do get surveys on SIM changes, so Verizon reps will be nice to you (surveys do affect pay).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, I guess it depends on the store, but the employees won't care that much. Its just activate SIM card, here's your SIM, bye bye. If anyone changed your plan without permission they can get in major trouble (that's all carriers), you just have to monitor it. Most of the horror stories tend to be people who lost whatever plan, then complained months later instead of days later.

The SIM card cutter will be fine as long as you don't gently caress up the card, if you run into any issues go by a store and just be polite. They do get surveys on SIM changes, so Verizon reps will be nice to you (surveys do affect pay).

Whew. Okay. That's good to know. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy but I'm glad to know I can to a store if I end up mangling the SIM. Thanks!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, I guess it depends on the store, but the employees won't care that much. Its just activate SIM card, here's your SIM, bye bye.

I thought the only caveat was to go to an actual corporate-owned store rather than a dealer, because a dealer will either charge you for the SIM or just plain won't give you one.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

DaveSauce posted:

Can I find that out online, or do I have to ask someone at Verizon about it? I think our "More Everything" plan is the oldest version...we got it when the HTC M8 came out. I'm pretty sure they just changed the plan on us without even asking as well.

I found it out through a chat on Verizon's site when I was asking about the new plans. The rep actually suggested that I stay on our current plan because of it. Although all of our phones are still on contract, so I haven't seen the proof yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought the only caveat was to go to an actual corporate-owned store rather than a dealer, because a dealer will either charge you for the SIM or just plain won't give you one.

Sorry, yes this is absolutely a very valid point. Always go to a corp store.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's worth it to note that if you don't have a nano SIM and don't want to mess around in store, you can now add a Verizon one for $5 in Moto maker. You should be able to use their online activation tool to activate it to your account once you receive the device.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I'm now out of contract and doing month to month on a 6GB "more loyalty" plan with a 20% discount that comes to $88 a month for single line. I know that if I switch to the new verizon plan then I cannot switch back, I'm not sure it seems worth it. I can still get a subsidized device and upgrade my phone now to go back on another 2 year contract and it looks like that'll save me money compared to going with the new plan and paying off a new phone monthly. Even with the $20 a month reduction in line access. Does this look correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

z06ck posted:

I'm now out of contract and doing month to month on a 6GB "more loyalty" plan with a 20% discount that comes to $88 a month for single line. I know that if I switch to the new verizon plan then I cannot switch back, I'm not sure it seems worth it. I can still get a subsidized device and upgrade my phone now to go back on another 2 year contract and it looks like that'll save me money compared to going with the new plan and paying off a new phone monthly. Even with the $20 a month reduction in line access. Does this look correct?

How much is your monthly plan?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Duckman2008 posted:

How much is your monthly plan?

59.99 most likely. That's exactly the same setup I have.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Yeah if you have that $60 plan where you can get a two year contract without the rate going up the new plans won't beat that price point.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Cozmosis posted:

The Pure is unlocked, available for all carriers. Sold through Moto directly.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was only sold through Moto. I can't use the EDGE poo poo unless it's sold through Verizon.

Super Dude posted:

If you want another Android phone, I would suggest waiting a week to see if the new Nexus phones interest you.

I will probably just get my wife the new iPhone but I would like to stick with Android so I will check that out. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You pay 60 a month for a 6 GB plan, really? What is your line access fee?

Anyway, if you two could read then you could see I said $88.

• Locked thread