Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

PROTIP: Use your phone's GPS to find a local library.

Can't he, in all likelihood, just keep paying $30/mo for his unlimited data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
7mbps is about par for the course for Verizon LTE. Honestly, once you're able to stream without buffering and in a high bitrate, there's not really a huge need for faster speeds--for reference, here's a lovely Gizmodo page with LTE speeds from various places in the US: http://gizmodo.com/5704797/verizon-lte-speed-test-insanely-fast

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Are people actually surprised? Everyone knew this was coming at least 6 months in advance, and it's pretty likely they're going to let people keep their $30 unlimited contracts they're on right now, at least until they upgrade to 4G phones.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

kalibar posted:

Seriously? That's absurd.

Not really. Verizon would like everyone to be on tiered data plans--they're not going to bend over backwards to let people transfer around their unlimited plans forever.

I can't believe people are asking how to get unlimited plans now, after like 10 months of advanced notice that it was eventually coming and at least a month of knowing that July 7th was the cutoff.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you've had the dataplan prior to the tiers going into effect, you keep the unlimited. You can also upgrade just fine and keep the unlimited. Verizon's dataplan was always unlimited before the tiers went into effect, they just had a soft 5gb cap where they maybe might say something to you but probably not.

The 2gb and 5gb plans are for new data additions only (at least for right now.)

Yeah this; also, if you're on an unlimited plan they'll throttle you if you're among the top 95% of users or something like that.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Counter example: my brother called and they moved him up around two weeks, I think, so that he could get in under unlimited data.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

firebad57 posted:

My DX has been überfucked lately, with broken hardware buttons and sluggish behavior, so I'm looking to upgrade to either an iPhone 4S or a Galaxy Nexus. I'd stopped considering the Razr and Rezound because a.) the Razr's screen looked like poo poo when I saw it in the store (at least compared to the iPhone...), and I don't really trust the Rezound to be a great phone.

I'm interested in the Gnex mostly because of ICS - I've liked Android as a platform with my Droid X, but it's been too buggy, and I am really looking for something with more polish that might be slightly more pleasant/easier to use.

Unfortunately, the Gnex is a.) not around, so I can't see the screen, and b.) probably $100 more than the iPhone (don't care about storage space).

My questions are twofold: 1.) What sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals might Verizon have on phones - money is an issue for me, so a huge deal on a phone could sway me.

2.) Is it worth waiting around for the Galaxy Nexus, given my problems with the Razr's screen (I had never noticed a penTile screen before, but the whites on it looked terrible compared to the iPhone) ,and the fact that it won't be out for a while/is more expensive?

What do goons think?

The Galaxy Nexus will be the Android phone to buy. Josh Topolsky loves it and it seems really stupid to worry about ~$100 toward the initial price of the phone given the monthly contract you're going to be paying.

I would absolutely not buy any other Android phone than the Galaxy Nexus if you're on Verizon.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

JayKay posted:

Went to a Verizon corporate store tonight and got to play with a Droid RAZR. My only 2 thoughts were "holy crap this thing is tall" and "holy crap this screen is beautiful."

Your mind would be blown by a phone with a screen that's actually good then, because the biggest complaint reviewers have had with the RAZR is that its screen sucks.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

EDIT: If I get 3 lines on a family plan, do I have to keep the data plan active on that 3rd line? What if I get the device from Amazon?

No, you don't. I know a few people on family plans that pay 9.99$/mo for an extra line just to use the upgrade yearly.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Did anyone in NYC play with a Verizon Nexus at whatever the Samsung Experience is? Engadget has some pictures and hands-on comments, but it wasn't clear to me whether it was media only or an open event. In any case, I am happy to have confirmation the thing exists. Here's hoping for a $200 upgrade or $500 unsubsidized price!

Neither of these prices are going to happen. And I think it was a media event. They've got pictures on The Verge as well.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

On that note, has there been any indication that Verizon is going to require a tethering plan for the hotspot feature in ICS?

Of course they will.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
So uh, why does Verizon not want to sell the Galaxy Nexus?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

I know this is a couple pages behind, but whenever I activated my friend's RAZR for him, Verizon made him "upgrade" to the 4g plan. He lost unlimited data, too. I don't think my actual unlimited plan would've transferred over. :(

I don't see where you say 5gb is $30. The only thing I see is $30 for 2gb and it doesn't say anything about double data.

You can definitely upgrade and keep it, unless something has changed in the past month.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

"A $2 convenience fee applies to all payments made by phone or online."

That's pretty much any relevant bill payment for anyone reading this thread - does anyone posting here actually go to a VZW store to pay their bill?

It's also unmitigated nickle-and-diming horseshit.

It's stupid to call it a convenience fee, but everyone I know just uses the recurring payment feature anyway, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Can someone explain the difference between Applecare+ and Verizon's insurance?

Verizon's looks *way* more expensive ($11/month*22 months=$242) than Applecare+ ($99). Verizon's covers total loss of the phone, including loss or theft, which Apple's does not. Verizon requires you to mail it away, which Apple does not (Apple Store is literally 5 minutes away from me). Verizon's replacement fee is $200 (for the 32GB), while Apple's is $50. Am I missing something here or is Verizon's plan a total rip off?? Short of being mugged or losing the phone (neither of which have happened to me( Please Take Care Of $600 Devices)), is there even a logical circumstance where Verizon's insurance is better?

If you don't have an iPhone.

Mighty Horse posted:

Navigation without paying for it. Flash. Other than that they do the same stuff, really. And 4G.

The built-in Maps application sort of works, and there's a free MapQuest app available on the App Store that my mom uses on her phone. And mobile Flash is completely abandoned (and completely poo poo). Adobe isn't even developing it anymore. 4G is the only thing, and if your parents are like my parents, they don't care if their phone downloads at 3mbps or 9mbps as long as it works. Or, if they're willing to wait a while, Apple will probably release a 4G phone this summer/fall. I have friends that use Galaxy Nexus phones, and they're absolutely great devices, but I'd never suggest anything other than an iPhone for either of my parents or any of their friends.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
"LTE is our anchor point for data share, so as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto the data share plan, moving away from the unlimited world" sounds like even current unlimited 4G customers won't be grandfathered in.

I guess this at least means it'd be worth buying a 4G iPad next year.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Welp, I was wrong I guess. Verizon clarified some poo poo today, and it looks like if you're on an unlimited plan, whether it's 3G or 4G (the plan is literally the same plan in Verizon's system, I think), you're good as long as you never buy a subsidized phone.:

- Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.

- When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.

- Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.

- The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones.

Edit: I'm actually curious, what is the Unlimited 4G plan named in your Verizon account? Can someone with a 4G phone on an unlimited plan post?

maduin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 17, 2012

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

BigBoss posted:

Just got 4.0.4 this morning from Verizon on my Nexus so I guess everyone should be seeing it soon. So far I haven't noticed any major difference good or bad, so we'll see if it was worth the wait.

If it's not popping up for everyone, you can force it to install by clearing your Google Services Framework data under settings->Apps and then manually checking for update.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and keep paying $80/mo for my unlimited plan with base minutes. I'm tempted to start paying the $30/mo unlimited 4G tethering though, instead of just activating it when I need it, just in case that gets eliminated.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's actually included in the new plans in a no longer unlimited way. They won't be charging for mobile hotspots. So if you have a phone that supports it, then you're covered.

Yeah, but if you're on an unlimited 4G plan right now, you can pay $30/month for unlimited tethering, which is far better if you use it even infrequently.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Which is completely rear end backwards. Minute usage is going DOWN as people use things like email and messaging (facebook, gtalk) to communicate.

I use about 240 minutes (peak AND non-peak) per month on my phone. I'm already overpaying by having to buy 450 peak minutes. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to buy unlimited.

This is exactly why, though. People are overpaying out of the rear end for text messages, and nobody uses minutes, so service providers are trying to figure out how they can milk more money out of people. Data on every device is the future, and Verizon wants to be there to profit!

Related: I have an unlimited LTE plan right now and pay $30/mo for (unlimited) tethering. Is tethering still available to people on unlimited LTE plans post-changes? I'm grandfathered in, but it'd be nice to know if I can choose to shut it off for a month if I'm not using it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They are probably forcing people onto unlimited minutes and texting because it doesn't really matter, that doesn't cost them as much and they already make plenty of money on it. The real money is in data, so they rape you for that. So it's easier to just not bother counting up everyone's minutes and texts when they know they are making money anyway, just worry about loving people on data.

I wouldn't be surprised if data/messaging is completely phased out within 2 years.

I'm also sure AT&T will have the same plans in place by the time the next iPhone is available.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Rent posted:

Telcos are the most out of touch with reality people ever. Remember when Verizon made people get data packages on basic slideout phones? I think it was $15?

And then ATT mandated that if you want "messaging phone" with a keyboard, you have to get unlimited texting.

Considering a lot of these companies run an overall 40%+ net profit margin, it's sickening.

They just need to be regulated by the government, which will never happen, so we'll continue to get hosed harder and harder by them.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

SpacedOut posted:

I moved my employee account to a 10GB SEP and saved the equivalent (as in, without my employee discount) of $90 per month. Granted, two of the people on my account use 2000+ minutes each, so I had them on their own old unlimited plan. I'm just trying to point out that the new plans don't necessarily suck for everyone.

On any given day, I'd guess 50%+ of my customers save money on the new plans, or pay the exact same as before but gain the benefit of unlimited calling and free mobile hotspot.

I'd bet most people posting in this thread are on individual plans right now--20s, unmarried, no kids, etc--and for almost everyone in this demographic, they're worse, which is why everyone on the Internet is pissed, but it won't actually hurt Verizon and they can get away with it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

...they really should give people a better deal if they have 4G...

What they should do is put a new tower up downtown so that I can actually get 4G in my apartment that is literally dead center in a 4G-capable city.

You'd think they'd not want me tethering off of 3G constantly, but oh well!

As for dumb phones, I'd bet they're planning to completely phase them out, which is why they're not any cheaper on the new plans.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Verizon is selling JB Gnexes?

It's hyperbole. They're not selling any of the stuff he mentioned--the only people using JB Galaxy Nexus phones on unlimited LTE are people are have hacked roms on old plans.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Is there any other voice assistance out there beyond siri or S Voice? Even something to download or buy? Really like my next phone to have the feature for when I am driving.

Android 4.1 has it baked into Google Now, so if phones start showing up or getting updates (hahahaha) those will work.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

JP Money posted:

There's no data requirement for dumb phones is there? Or is there now a forced 2GB of data even for ancient phones that are newly added?

Nah, but I don't know why in the world you'd get Verizon with just a dumbphone.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

They didn't send me photos, but on my first round on the phone, they found them and said they could email them to me. I only found out about any of this until the bill showed up. The phone itself they say has disappeared into the void of the refurb pool.

That first round on the phone was seemingly productive. I was on hold while they sorted something out with the shipper when the Verizon rep hosed up the transfer and left me talking with a post office employee and not a three way conversation. Called Verizon back and had to start from square one with another rep who told me to suck it. Finally went back into the retail store to talk to the people who originally gave me the warranty authorization. The manager told me I could return the phone to cancel the damage charge and get a new phone at the upgrade price, so $200 vs $300. Either way I feel like I'm getting hosed. I have no way of proving the phone wasn't cracked when I put it in the box, but I don't feel the burden of proof should be on me to begin with. The worst part is my initial complaint that led to the warranty to begin with that I would have just lived with it had I known that I could be subject to this charge by some second inspection at the depot.

Stories like this make me really happy that when my iPhone broke last year, I could deal with Apple instead of Verizon. If my second-hand Nexus stopped working now, I'd just be hosed. I think I would have just told them I'm done and walked out if they tried to gently caress with me like this. Did you ship the phone yourself? I probably would have had retail do it or made sure to buy insurance, but this is a pretty lovely situation.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I dont see why the rep would care one way or another.

She's probably just pissed because she's making barely over minimum wage talking to pissed off Verizon customers all day, every day. Talk about a thankless job.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

dopaMEAN posted:

What's the situation with wifi hotspots and tethering?

My mom lost her phone while in the hospital today. We need to replace it tomorrow, and she wants a smartphone (she has a free upgrade).

However, she also just got rid of her Internet connection at home, since her computer is in shambles. I just gave her my nook color to play with and it would be nice if she could use her new phone to work it. She has never been good with technology, but she was actually doing well on the nook, and she wants to try.

I'm guessing iPhones don't do wifi or tethering? What's a good, simple, reliable smartphone? The Galaxy Nexus seems good...

There is absolutely no way you should have her buy anything but an iPhone. I have a Nexus right now and I can't imagine trying to explain the ins and outs to my mom. "Hey mom, the reason your phone is dying is because some app is causing too many wakelocks. Download this battery manager to see if you can find out the cause!"

She also won't want to use the Nook once she's used to the iPhone, but yeah, the iPhone does do WiFi (do any phones not have WiFi?) and can tether.

maduin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 12, 2012

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
For the first time in my life, I don't feel like Verizon is trying to rip me off over something.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Porkchop Express posted:

I think that even during my heaviest month when I was with t-mobile I only managed to rack up a little over 2gb, and I was doing absolutely crazy poo poo to even get to that point, I can't imagine how you get to 9gb without tethering.

Heavy video streaming. It's really easy to use a ton of bandwidth if you're streaming Netflix like crazy.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Okay, so I'm on an old unlimited plan and have been for years, but my fiancé wants to switch to Verizon (we moved to Iowa two months ago and Sprint is unusable) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. Would we be better off doing their More Everything poo poo, or should we put her on a second line? I use like 3-4GB/mo, I'd say, and she uses slightly less.

Will Verizon give me something special for having an account with them since like 2005? Why are phone plans the most complicated, stupid poo poo ever created?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

drat, the 15gb deal in conjunction with the $150 portin credit and $200 iPhone trade in is tempting - I have had an unlimited data account, and my wife's ATT contract is finally coming up this month. Been debating switching it to more everything for $155 total before corporate discount if we do Edge with her. $350 towards the Edge device is pretty sweet.

Hard pulling the trigger off unlimited though.

I went to Verizon today and asked about this (my fiancee is on Sprint and gets no service here) and the guy I talked to there told me they could just add a line to my Unlimited Plan for $10 and give her a $50 for 5GB data package; this was quite a bit (like $70/mo cheaper than the 15gb deal). He gave me his card and I'm going back tomorrow to get the $150 port-in credit.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
What's the return period if Verizon tries to gently caress me and swap me to a 2-gig plan for doing that stupid SlickDeals poo poo via BestBuy?

And does it immediately renew my contract (i.e. I can order a new iPhone which won't come for weeks and not some Droid garbage) or am I going to end up ordering this thing and my contract will lapse before I'm able to turn on my new phone? I generally wouldn't care, but this saves $20/mo and I get a new phone for $300 instead of like $800 so it's win+win+win if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Generally it doesn't happen until you activate the new device.

I can answer my own question: apparently it happens once BestBuy processes the order. My contract on Verizon's website has been extended through October '17 and my new phone hasn't even shipped yet.

• Locked thread