Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Aurium posted:

Amazon's business model is to pass that money back to you as a discount; so when they get less money back, they can't take as much off.

So I take it I can't start an individual line, then merge it with my family plan without Amazon coming after me then. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Endor posted:

So if I'm understanding right, upgrade Discounts apply to the Family Plan as a whole, and not to the individual sub-lines?

The upgrade discounts do apply to individual lines; however, there's no requirement to keep the upgraded phone activated on that line (or at all), only that you keep the service for 24 months. So you upgrade a line but then activate another phone on it, and you have a usable phone that can be activated anywhere.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

Being in the industry I suppose its a good thing people are excited about the stuff you need to deal with to make a living, but I am honestly starting to feel sad for humanity about how worked up people get over a little box of plastic and glass.

For me it's that I'm still on an OG Droid, and this thing will kernel panic about half the time I go to use Maps. As well as being ridiculously slow in general. With the Gnex on the horizon it doesn't seem worth it to reflash the rom now, but the constant not-really-delays are getting kind of aggravating.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe somewhere. When we added my mom out bill went from $136 to $147.

You are both right; recently Verizon switched the way fees are listed for each line so each line gets a relatively even split of taxes and fees. In this way while the total amount of fees and taxes is a pretty small $1-3 depending on where you are, the line charge listed will be above $15.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Endor posted:

Then I take the phone to a Verizon corporate store and ask them to transfer it to my line, and activate my Thunderbolt on her line so it stays with the same smartphone plan. Once that's done, we use my alternate-line upgrade the next day (or whenever) to get her a iPhone 5 at a regular Verizon store.

I don't think this works. Using an upgrade from a line renews the contract on that line even on an alternate-line upgrade, which will then invalidate your unlimited data plan. There isn't a way for both of you to upgrade and also keep unlimited data. The only way to keep unlimited data and get upgrade pricing is to add a line and activate the dumbphone on that; the upgrade on your line is forever unusable if you want to keep unlimited data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

resident posted:

Make sure the shared plan won't cost you more. In my case going, to a family share would cost me about $20/month more so over the life of the contract I'm going to make back a pretty good portion of the lost subsidy by paying retail. I have the added bonus of keeping unlimited data and being able to dump Verizon whenever after March 2013 rolls around.

You aren't (yet) forced to go to a shared data plan if you upgrade, you simply have to choose a different tiered single-line data plan. For many this may still be more expensive - I stream music during my commute so I use 3-4GB monthly so it would be a similar cost, I'd have to pay an extra $20/month if I didn't change my usage. A lot of other people I know don't do nearly the same (or don't have an hour commute) and so the change to 2GB would not be a big deal.

• Locked thread