Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

FYI, here are the latest Bionic rumors and they have pretty much been confirmed on Howardforums.

Dual Core 1.2ghz (TI OMAP 44xx)
1GB RAM (may be somewhat negated by the inclusion of WebTop)
16G Internal Storage
4.3inch screen QHD display with Gorilla Glass
LTE (of course)
HDMI out
New design that's different from CES but may have already been leaked as Targa screenshots

Mid August is the current projected release.

Maybe I'll finally be able to upgrade from my original Droid in Mid August. I'm going to miss my hardware keyboard, but it really looks like my options for that suck since the Droid 3 won't be LTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wow. I'll need to try that out in person I guess, that does seem crazy big.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quick question... Is there no way to remove insurance from my plan on the website? It isn't listed in the change features section.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm going to upgrade the wife's 2006 flip phone to a smartphone in the next few days, but to be honest, she doesn't have any requirements that would demand the latest 4g phones or the like. The phone should be Android, have the best battery life possible for a smart phone, a decent camera, and the ability to play Pandora.

Any help on the best phone on Verizon at the moment that meets those requirements? The question could probably be narrowed to best battery life on a smartphone at the moment since I imagine any android phone will meet the other two requirements.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

I think I would probably just go with the Incredible 2 in that case. It's just a solid phone with minimal fuss.

Excellent, thanks!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So my wife got her new Incredible 2, which is awesome, so now I am horribly jealous. I hope the bionic ends up being great, I'm really jonesing to upgrade my Droid.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

What are the major differences between the Razr and the Nexus? I'm trying to close in on my final decision as to what will replace my droid.

Is it just:

Pick Nexus if you want the bigger 720p screen/slightly faster proc and instant ICS
Pick Razr if you want smaller/lighter/better build quality/slightly bigger battery but delayed ICS

Is there anything else I'm missing?

eta: Right now I'm leaning towards the Razr and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything critical.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 22, 2011

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

Droid 4 should be everything anyone wants for a keyboard phone coming up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

Think 4" screen Razr with a keyboard. That's pretty much the device.

God drat it, just when I had finally settled on getting a non keyboard phone to replace my droid!

I guess I'll wait until reviews start coming in on the Razr and Nexus, and if they are reviewing great and there is no release date on the 4, I'll pull the trigger anyway. I'd already made my peace with the loss of the keyboard.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah I thought my new nexus was hosed when I couldn't get any connection at all this morning. I guess its good to know it wasn't just me. I have 3g now but it is a really weak signal.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm considering the MotoX as an upgrade for my galaxy nexus. But no matter what I get I'll be waiting awhile since I'll be paying off contract prices to keep my unlimited. So that makes it a thing where by the time I can get one cheap enough, I'll probably be too excited about the next thing to upgrade. :(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

cuedotcom posted:

The off contract price of the motoX vs the maxx will most likely be within $100 of each other...a bit more in the pocket for an obscene battery is just a better bargain. Not to mention, the way this fall is shaping up, the Nexus 5 is probably just around the corner. Buy the motoX --surprise-- new nexus. So stupid. Unless you know you're buying the Maxx outright or upgrading, or battery life isn't a thing (really?) I personally would wait until at least the iPhone5(S) is announced. All the fancy hold outs will rain down with vengeance henceforth.

It doesn't matter if the phone makes coffee and gives you a hummer under your desk at work, if its dead or within ~20% by lunch. >>My work doesn't afford me the luxury of external electricity. I need power for at least 18 hours<< The Maxx chuggs for easily 36 hours...just my .02

Yeah, sorry, I thought it was implied by my post, but I won't be buying one of those new phones off contract till I can find a good deal on one. No way am I paying 600 dollars for a phone. So yeah, not any time soon. =) But I'll take into account your advice on the Maxx when that time comes. Battery is certainly my biggest complaint with the Nexus. It is the main reason I'm even thinking about my next phone already.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So how long does it typically take for a phone's non contract price to drop from something ridiculous like 650 to something more palatable like 350?

I'm thinking the Droid Maxx would be a great new phone, but I'd like to wait until the price is not ridiculous and I'm not giving up my unlimited until they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

kitten smoothie posted:

Maybe when it's last year's phone and they want to flush out the remaining inventory, like they're doing with the RAZR M right now for $1 on contract and $350 without.

Otherwise, yeah, it'll be $650 or close to it till the next model comes out.

Ah see, I'd seen the RAZR M was down to 350 so assumed it was a normal thing. Bummer. :(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Fog Tripper posted:

Dear somethingawful, please help me decide...

Do I do the line juggling to keep my unlimited, or do I use the above code to opt into the 6GB trade? My worry is if I do the former, the limited time offer for the 6GB will end and I will be poo poo out of luck next time I want to upgrade my phone and/or they completely end unlimited.

To sum up, if they completely pull the plug on the unlimited in the future, I may be stuck with 2GB.

Note: I currently do not utilize a ton of data on my GNexus. However when I get my 5s I will be able to use pandora with my car radio.

Me personally, I would have gone for it if I never went over 6GB. But sadly, that isn't the case, so I have to stick with unlimited.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

If you are on a Galaxy Nexus, absolutely jump on it.

This thing is noticeably faster than my HD MAXX, the Gnex is a dinosaur by comparison.

I went for it, but no dice for me. The features page lists that unlimited will be removed.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

stormrider posted:

A week into life with my Maxx, and I feel the need to share that this is seriously the best phone I've ever owned. Not babysitting my battery is loving amazing.

Thanks to everyone who's recommended it, fully worth the off-contract upgrade at $499 - $100 trade-in on my S3.

The VZW store I bought it at also offered me a $100 off my bill for buying $100 in accessories, so I picked up a Jambox mini for dirt cheap too.

Well dammit. I think it might be time for me to bite the bullet.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

kensei posted:

My MAXX prompted me for an update this morning, not sure what all is in it but installing now :)

e: 19.6.3.en.US is the version, and now I have cool white icons...

I miss the blue icons.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

The only things this update did was change the icons white and fix a Canadian roaming issue.

It also appears to have broken my phone's ability to ring. And if I go into settings->Sound and try to click on volumes to double check everything, the phone completely locks up.

*Edit* multiple reboots/battery pulls later, it finally seems to be working again. Ugh.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 23, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So my wife dropped her old incredible 2 and its totally trashed. It makes more sense to pay 100 or less for a new phone than to pay the 100 deductible to "replace" that at this point.

So first, both of our phones are on the same family plan with unlimited data currently. She really doesn't need to keep unlimited, so we were thinking of using an upgrade on her phone. Is that doable without also changing me off my unlimited as a result of the plan change?

Second question is, what is the best $100 or less phone available for upgrade currently? I love my Maxx and for her purposes, good battery life is probably still the most important thing. That is free on upgrade right now. Is there anything better?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ugh, so upgraded my wife's phone to the turbo and lost her unlimited since whatever, she never uses a lot of data. Suddenly she is somehow using massive amounts of data.

I hate Verizon right now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

kensei posted:

efb

Check the thread for the Caller ID thing someone mentioned. If she gets a lot of calls, it might be the issue.

Yup, thanks. I just hate that the moment I swap from unlimited we immediately have to deal with this bullshit. I wonder if I can return it and get our unlimited back. It's not worth the hassle to ever have to think about this.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I hope it works out, that would stink. May I ask what phone she had before?

Edit: Deleted, best of luck

She was using an incredible 2, which was more than fine for her needs. If she hadn't shattered the screen she'd still be using it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

New Moto Z Play Droid looks good. Is it?

How does it differ from the existing ones?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Can I keep my unlimited?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wheee. I can finally come off my grandfathered unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wickerman posted:

It has been 3 billing cycles since I took the $10/mo Pixel deal and lol I still haven't gotten any bill credits for it.

Yeah, I just noticed the same thing.

• Locked thread