Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
So overdue, it better happen this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
First person to get the Droid X update, please save a copy of update.zip!

I don't know if they do it alphabetically, or what, but it always seems like I get mine on day 3 or 4 of the rollout.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Several blog sites are saying the roll out will start late this evening.

The update details and instructions PDFs are updated on the VZW support site:
http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_x.html

quote:

Enhancements:
  • Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
  • App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
  • Multi-Touch Key-Chording: New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
  • Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality: New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
  • New User Interface and Color Scheme: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
  • Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
  • App Groups: New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
  • Emergent Groups and Smart Contacts: Based on usage, participant and addressee suggestions are made in Calendar entries, emails and text messages. Create groups instantly based on the context of what you’re doing. For example, quickly create a group based on a suggestion Calendar invitee list or the group of people with whom you’re texting.
  • Updated Calendar Options:
    • Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
    • Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
    • Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
Other improvements:
  • Geo-Tagging for Camera applications
  • Calendar application:
    • Calendar appointments created on the device with Exchange Active Sync will correctly display on the device.
    • Update calendar appointments with Exchange Active Sync without deleting them.
    • Successfully sync the Inbox and Calendar when using Exchange Active Sync.
  • Email application:
    • Improved contact syncing from multiple accounts.
    • Email pushes now work correctly when using Exchange Active Sync.
    • Exchange Active Sync account setup will accurately present server option.
    • Forwarded emails send properly while using Exchange Active Sync.
    • POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
  • Successfully edit Contacts without being directed to the home screen.
  • Autofocus Camera feature has been improved for use in low-light conditions.
  • Improved battery life while using Bluetooth

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm currently on the shared 1400 minutes, unlimited text unlimited data plan special that went around last fall.

Here's what my account looks like online:

quote:

NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT FS 1400
Contract Ends on 12/20/12

Plan Details
Monthly access charge: $91.30 ( 17% off of $110.00)
Monthly allowance minutes: 1400 general
Per minute rate after allowance: $0.40 peak , $0.40 off-peak

Promotion details
17% ACCESS DISCOUNT
17% - FEATURE DISCOUNT
TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC

My understanding is that the 17% won't apply to my data package anymore, but what about the Talk & Text Plus Data $20 Discount? If they touch that I can skip on Verizon with no ETF, right?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm 8 months out from my next upgrade, and my Droid x is getting super flaky.

I see Amazon now does phone upgrades, not just new contracts, and I could upgrade to the galaxy nexus for about $100 less than through verizon.

Any downsides to doing an upgrade through amazon? Do I need to worry about account changes that could jeopardize my unlimited plan or anything?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I haven't seen a Nexus in person yet. How does its screen compare to the droid x? Am I going to miss the extra real estate?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Codiusprime posted:

Considering your getting more screen probably not. I think when you include the on screen buttons it comes out to about 4.3 inches, 4.65 inch screen size though. Also the Gnex screen will make your DX screen look like babby's first smartphone screen.

Awesome, I thought it was slightly smaller for some reason

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

bulbous nub posted:

After all of this talk about how terrible the GNex is, I'm really starting to regret my purchase which hasn't even gotten here yet :(

Why was the 4.0.4 update pulled, was there ever an answer on that or not because it was unofficial?

I guess another question I have is whether it's worth it to install the leaked 4.0.4 when I get my phone on Friday.

Edit: I guess while I'm here I can share how awesome Verizon customer service was last night. Ever since starting my new job, I get piss poor 3G service on my floor, rendering my iPhone pretty much useless unless I wanted to wait 4 minutes to download the daily NewEgg email over 2 bars of 1x. I called in to see if there was any possibility of getting an early upgrade on one of my lines and using it for a new Galaxy Nexus. I got someone who couldn't have been more helpful. I explain the whole situation to her and she actually got a supervisor override for an 8 month early upgrade on my MiFi line and let me use it to replace my iPhone. I was impressed.

How did you manage this? My Droid X has really been limping along the last few months, and the GPS died last week. My scheduled early upgrade window starts in August, and last time I asked about an upgrade prior to that it was a pretty flat "no."

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Weird, just noticed that Verizon.com is offering me the full upgrade discount price on a new phone even though my early upgrade window should start until August. Is there some kind of promotion running right now?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

SpacedOut posted:

Currently, some customers are eligible to upgrade into 4G smartphones early.

Awesome. Question, do you have to be on a Verizon network to activate a new phone? I'm in Alaska for at least a few more months. Roams on ACS Alaska, which counts as an "Extended Network" (I've never been billed fees or anything). To get phone updates I've always had to switch the network to "Home Only," and then connect via w-fi.

A few years back I had an issue with a T-Mo phone that couldn't activate until I was actually on a T-Mo tower.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Well that certainly reinforces my need to get my phone upgraded asap. Think I'm going to have it shipped to a friend in California who can activate and then ship it up to Alaska.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
All this Razr Fighter/HD talk has me really interested. As tired of my Droid X as I am, that's mostly about performance and glitchy software. The Moto hardware is phenomenal, and my 2-year-old DX is in almost mint condition despite never having a case or screen protector. I had an original RAZR flip-phone that lasted forever too, and the Razr Maxx is a really appealing design. Things seems like they should only get better with the Google acquisition too.

At this point the only reason I haven't already upgraded to the GN is the whole phone activation in Alaska thing, and I haven't planned a trip stateside yet where I could activate it. Now I'm kinda hoping that there will be more details on the Fighter before I have that trip.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I really hope there is something official on the RAZR HD/Fighter soon.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

TSBX posted:

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-motorola-droid-razr-hd-leaks-3300-mah-battery-and-all-20120608/

Well at least now we know what the back and side of the Droid Razr HD will look like. I'm a bit concerned that the battery is inaccessible, but that might be due to required daily battery pulls on my Droid X. At least now we can put any doubts about the 3300mah battery to bed.

I really hope this makes it out before the data plan change

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
So if I pre-order the S3 right now to move my unlimited 3G plan to 4g and lock it in, and the RAZR HD is released within 2-weeks of when I receive my S3 I could switch phones, correct?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Don Lapre posted:

Nobody really knows anything.

But in general you have two weeks to return a phone, right?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
My S3 arrived today, and as expected it won't activate from Alaska. Wouldn't be a big deal, except there is also apparently no way to skip activation on this phone. Wasn't expecting that, thought I'd at least be able to get the phone set up and use it on wi-fi until I visit the states, as I have with every other VZ phone I've owned.

The good news is that VZ is finally entering the Alaska market, so this will be the last time I go through this, but they aren't expected to go live for a while longer. This is probably a really outside chance, but when they start putting up new towers, do they put them up and get them working for testing but not made public? Maybe if I ask really nicely they'll let me hop on to a tower for a few minutes to activate.

I was at the Chamber of Commerce lunch today, and noticed Verizon's logo next to AT&T and one of the local carriers, that's new, and hopefully means they're going to start releasing details soon. So far it's just been notices in the paper about tower construction.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Aatrek posted:

This post on XDA might let you get past the NO SIM CARD screen:

Thanks, had tried that, and doesn't seem to work.

Even better is that while I apparently cannot activate my new phone from Alaska, they were able to deactivate my Droid X no problem. Trying to get them to turn it back on now

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

SeaborneClink posted:

Have you tried the four corner method? Touch each corner starting in the top left and rotate clockwise.

I've tried that on a few different screens. There's never really a welcome screen like that though, it just goes straight to the language select

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Where the hell is the SGS3 update to enable global roaming?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

AlexDeGruven posted:

It works out of the box if you're willing to hack your APN and spend some time on XDA finding the right settings.

Even domestic. I can put my iPhone's SIM (AT&T) in my GS3 and make calls and send/receive SMS, but MMS and data still need some work.

I know, I just haven't felt like messing with it, and the fact that Verizon promised the update and haven't delivered it just irritates me.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Is there a term for 4g withdrawal? I've gotten so accustomed to it in the last couple of weeks and now I'm heading back to Alaska for a few weeks.

Vzw needs to hurry up and light up their towers in AK.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

The Gasmask posted:

I just added the $30 tethering plan to my grandfathered-unlimited iPhone 5, and as of right now everything seems to be in order. I did it through the myVerizon app since it listed that the specific tethering plan required an unlimited plan to work. While it's not as ideal as the free tethering the new plans have, it's way faster than my home Internet and costs less so I might just use this instead when I move into my new place.

Is that the "4g mobile hotspot" option under "data hotspot packages?" That's the only one I see. Does that work even if when you're on 3g?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Is there any likelihood of getting my GS3 swapped out for a RAZR Max? When I purchased it in July, I was told it would support world roaming on GSM well before the international travel I start off on in late December... As of now the update release is still unannounced.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Wow, VZW is now showing the Galaxy S3 as a Jelly Bean phone on their product page.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/11/verizons-galaxy-s3-page-highlights-the-benefits-of-jelly-bean-a-version-of-android-its-not-yet-running/

Stay loving classy VZW.

I want the promised GSM World Roaming unlock, hopefully it's included. I wouldn't have purchased the S3 if the sales rep hadn't told me it would be getting added in a "coming soon" update.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Mighty Horse posted:

It already supports international GSM. Check your "mobile networks"

That allows roaming on cdma. The phone has gsm hardware that “will be enabled with a future update." there is a big thread on XDA with a root workaround.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Honestly wasn't really expecting to see this when I manually checked for updates just now.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Can someone with an unrooted S3 with the new OTA Jelly Bean and a GSM SIM test it out? I don't have one on hand or I would.

I'll be traveling internationally for the next month, and am really hoping I can just nab a SIM card.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Can it make/receive calls on the ATT sim? I'm less concerned about data. And I imagine with a pre-paid sim in another country this is less of an issue?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm in New Zealand with my stock Verizon S3. Put in a 2degrees sim, and it's working fine for voice and text, but no dice on data. Any ideas? I thought this was supposed to work with jelly bean.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Maybe you have to mess around with the APN?

By doing what?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

ProjektorBoy posted:

You should be able to go to Settings > "More Settings" (under Wireless and network) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Then press Menu and hopefully you'll end up with the option to add APN's. The option appears to be disabled right now while I'm on a Verizon SIM but I hope they wouldn't cripple it that hard.

Nope, APN is disabled even when your on a different SIM.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm on the old Nationwide TLK&TXT Share 1400, and no longer need that many minutes. Will adjusting down the the 700 bucket affect my unlimited data?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
About to drive through Canada this week, and am going to pay the $25 for 100mb data for navigation. Looks like that also gives me unlimited texts, since it says they just come out of your bucket. Anyone know what it does with mms?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm a couple of months away from being off contract. I just lost my 20% corp discount and am questioning why I'm paying $130 / month for 700 minutes, unlimited text and data compared to T-Mo's $70.

I'm averaging about 6 gb a month on data, so downgrading data isn't going to save me money.

And while I'm happy with the service (especially in Colorado mountains), I'm getting tired of Vzw's phone situation.

Any likelihood of negotiating a lower price while keeping my data once my contract is up? Otherwise I'm looking at a "free" phone every year just in the savings on the T-Mobile plan

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

FordPRefectLL posted:

How long have you been with Verizon?

4 or 5 years, since the original Droid.

I'm not expecting a t-mobile price match, I don't mind paying a premium for what is phenomenal service in Colorado, but losing the corporate discount makes it harder to justify.

Especially when I can't take phone subsidies anymore - $130 a month becomes $150 a month when you factor in a new phone at full price (broken out over 24 months).

I'm not going to jump ship over losing the discount, but between that, frustration with phone selection, and hearing from friends that t-mobile is pretty strong here, I have to at least reevaluate options.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

EbolaIvory posted:

Reapply for your discount?
Or were you on one you shouldn't of had to begin with?

No, it was a legit discount, but I changed jobs this spring.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
On another note, I just saw the Maxx has dropped to $499 off contract. Is that valid in-store too? And do you pay sales tax on devices purchased in stores?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I stopped by a VZW store yesterday and played with the Moto X and the Maxx for a while and decided to jump on the Maxx at $499. The Moto X is a drat nice device, especially with the coupon from Monday pricing it at $400, but given my chief complaint with my S3 is battery life, I think the $100 difference for the Maxx is justified. And I really like the soft-touch feel of the Maxx.

I don't think I can go another week with my S3, and the Maxx seems like it will hold value enough that even if I jump ship in a few months when my contract is up I'll be able to offload it for a reasonable amount.

Weirdness with the store reps though, the one I was talking to asked if I wouldn't mind ordering it online instead, and said they get yelled at for selling off-contract devices. So then I got online last night and discovered that I was going to pay sales tax even if I order it online. So going to a different store today and just buying it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
A week into life with my Maxx, and I feel the need to share that this is seriously the best phone I've ever owned. Not babysitting my battery is loving amazing.

Thanks to everyone who's recommended it, fully worth the off-contract upgrade at $499 - $100 trade-in on my S3.

The VZW store I bought it at also offered me a $100 off my bill for buying $100 in accessories, so I picked up a Jambox mini for dirt cheap too.

• Locked thread