Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
To add to the already pretty good deal (that Verizon has at their stores, too) Amazon has this:

quote:

For a limited time, buy a hotspot-ready smartphone from Verizon or Sprint and receive a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card on select devices. Phones from AT&T and T-Mobile do not qualify. Offer valid between midnight PDT November 11, 2011 through 11:59 p.m. PDT December 31, 2011, for new lines of service and upgrade customers. Gift card codes will be sent via e-mail within 60 days of purchase, one per customer. Hotspot feature must be activated at time of purchase to qualify.

Played a bit wit the Droid X2, but that's not 4g, so I might just settle with a Droid Bionic. I would go with an iPhone but having an extra 2gb is pretty nice on a 2gb plan, especially with 4G. I'm torn between Android and iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

Don't buy an X2, for the love of God just about any phone released after the X2 is a better choice.

Oh no I definitely wasn't thinking it, it was the first phone I played with and really liked it. BUT because it wasn't 4G I wouldn't be able to hop on the deal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got the Droid Bionic on Friday, I love it and I'm happy to see how far Android has come since the days of the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. It's a great phone, the display seems a little odd at times or it might be the stock ROM on here (the fade in effect with the icons make it look plain silly), and it's HUGE. I love how big the screen is, but my hands are tiny. I just found out about the Galaxy Nexus AFTER I had bought the phone, and might return this for that whenever it comes out.

My question is though, if the Bionic is a little too big for my hands, is the Nexus going to be any better? It's a slimmer phone and the rounded edges might be easier for people with smaller hands, but the size of these things might be what makes me switch over the the iPhone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ciabatta posted:

http://phone-size.com/?s=3%2C54

The Nexus will definitely be a little bigger. It looks like the screen + buttons on the Bionic are about the same size as the screen with software buttons on the Nexus. Most reviewers said the Nexus is only slightly larger than current 4.3" phones due to the capacitive buttons being replaced by screen. Whether it is just enough bigger to be annoying for you is tough to tell until you can get one in your hands. If the Bionic is borderline uncomfortable for you, the Nexus could cross that line.
That's what I'm thinking too and it's too bad because I really like how powerful this phone is and how big the screen size, but I had no idea this thing would be that uncomfortable to hold with one hand, and I wasn't going to spend an extra hour in the Verizon store playing with it.

Edit: Would Verizon take off my free 2gb for downgrading to a 3G phone like the iPhone? Wondering if I should maybe do the Unlimited hotspot trick.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 12, 2011

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'll probably be getting a 4S this week, switching from a Bionic I got because the phone is too big for my hands and the smaller 4G phones aren't all that much smaller unless I want a Pantech Breakout (what?), and I really don't need 4G speeds.. I got the free 4gb data for getting a 4G phone but I'm wondering if Verizon will take that away for getting a non-4G phone? Has anyone used the mobile hotspot trick with the iPhone?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endor posted:

First, from what I understand the Android data plans are separate from the iPhone data plans, so you'll have to switch to a completely different data plan.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "free 4GB data". The now-defunct unlimited data plan that Verizon used to offer? Or the current "double data" special plan? Or something different?

I mean the current double data promotion. That's too bad but I suppose I use wifi quite a bit now and have nothing to stream.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Aatrek posted:

I just got the standard Verizon "Vehicle Mount For Galaxy Nexus" ($39.99) and it has NO (zero) input jacks. LAME.  I also picked up the spare battery + charger, also $39.99.

I had gotten the Bionic vehicle mount and it had it's own port for MicroUSB, but the 3.5mm cable just plugged into the phone, pretty awesome mount regardless.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Wow, how does that even happen. If you go from one 4g phone to another can you use the same SIM card?

Yes, they just have to be activated I believe with the ESN on the new phone. I had no idea 4G phones used SIM cards and now Verizon can use voice and data over their LTE network.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sadus posted:

Sure Razr or Rezound will get ICS eventually, but what about the next one, and the next one after that? I got lucky with the OG Droid and CM7 and assumed all phones would be that well supported, but my wife's Droid X has let me down. This is still all too depressing: http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

This is exactly what I don't like about Android phones. If you bought a phone on a 2 year contract 2 years ago you'd still be running 1.6 or something. Of course there are modding communities but many people don't go that route. I imagine that newer versions of Android are backwords compatible with older software?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Played with one for a bit today in the store and really like the feel of it, display is bright, colors good, love the resolution. ICS as a whole looks completely revamped, the task manager looks awesome and came in handy, although the display model was slow as molasses and was running advanced task manager...?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

highme posted:

When she finally realized I wasn't going to be buying a case she asked in a lovely tone, "You're at least going to buy some screen protectors right?" At that point I wanted to say "I might, but not from a store that gouges on accessories," but needed to get back to my cubicle and really just wanted to be done with her at that point.
I had a dude ask me 4 times about buying insurance for my last phone, and let out a big sigh when I declined for the 4th time, telling me that phones are expensive after I had spent the last half hour chatting about how expensive phones are out of contract. I don't understand why they have an emotional attachment to this crap.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

That and some people really use insurance. I have it on mine, why? I tend to trash phones pretty hard and I typically hate screen protectors and cases. Figure, 100 bucsk or whatever is cheaper than 500+ and insurance is cheap enough. I wont run it full contract, but I do run it for most of my non upgradable time.

That or those people who tend to have phones stolen every 6 months. No idea how they manage it, But they do.

Theres a need. Just not everyone needs it. Tho good reps have that poo poo figured out before they even ask, so excuse the new guys i guess.
Oh no doubt I definitely see a use for it, I just treat my phones well. I just hate having accessories and "options" shoved down my throat every time I buy something from a cell phone store, and when I decline their offers, their mood immediately changes as if I've took their dinner and thrown it on the floor.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is it possible to add data to one line within a family plan? I'm on a voice+text plan right now and want to get a smartphone sometime in the next few months but would prefer not to get another number.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Yep, no problem. You just buy a smartphone on that line and add the data plan. It's the same as if you changed your texting plan on that line.

So data will just be appled to one number within the whole account, rather than the whole account? I'm assuming the same minutes and text plans will be kept.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Verizon forces smartphones to have Data Plans in the first place. It will be added just to your line.

Well reason asking is that currently I have a dumbphone, and was looking at getting maybe a used iPhone pretty soon without having to jump into a new plan or anything.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I jumped onto my friend's plan last month, but soon had a bunch of others bills and I couldn't quite afford it so I brought the phone back and asked them to cancel my account, this was 6 days after I had first gotten it. Today my friend gets his latest bill saying that my line is $442. Their policy states that you can cancel your contract within 14 days without incuring an ETF but clearly they messed up. I understand it's a wierd situation and I intend on calling customer support when I'm able, but has this happened to anyone else?

I also got refunded what I originally paid for the phone so I don't really understand why it's more than $350 like their typical ETF.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Also check out CowBoom.com, they've got preowned phones at pretty decent prices. They're owned by BestBuy.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I made the same switch you're about to. The Nexus is a lot bigger. I've got large hands and it's the upper limit in terms of size for what I would use. The screen is nicer, but coming from the X you will probably notice the PenTile display. It took me a bit before I could ignore it, and I can still see it sometimes.

On the opposite side of this, if you have small hands then you may hate it. I had a Bionic for a week until I couldn't stand having to constantly adjust my hand position on the phone just to reach all corners of the screen. Loved the phone but I think anything over 4" is too big for my thumb to reach.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

beejay posted:

I was all set to pull the trigger on an iPhone 4S today because it's the first day I'm eligible for an upgrade and my Incredible has been generally making GBS threads itself for a couple months now. However, the reps at the Verizon store said my area will have 4G service by the end of the year. How much would I be kicking myself if I went ahead and got the 4S? How much better is 4G than 3G I guess would be the question. I'd like to know from real people rather than the salesperson.

I really like how fast 4G is but I really don't like how bad it wears on batteries. Chances are the next iPhone will be 4G.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

icemonkey posted:

I don't think I want to get a new contract (do I?).

If you don't want to be locked into another 2 years with the same carrier you don't need to sign another one and just keep paying month by month. The advantage to the contract is that places like Amazon, BB, etc offer discounted prices on phones. Usually you can find many used phones for the same price as NEW about 6-12 months after they are released.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Buy your phones used then. There, saved you $30 and you don't even have to be on a contract!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ciabatta posted:

Err, so this charge is going to hit anytime you switch phones on your account? Or only if you switch phones when you're out of contract?

If you buy a brand new phone and upgrade you contract you pay it. You could buy one off-contract for full price (or used off ebay/CL/etc) and just have them simply transfer the correct info over, which I believe is free and takes all of a few minutes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I bought an iPhone off SA Mart, waiting to get it in the mail this week. I'm under my parent's family plan and will add data to my line. I am not an "authorized" user, so my mother will have to give the go-ahead but she lives 2 hours away and I don't want either of us to take a day off to go and see eachother for what I'm guessing is a 15 minute process.

If I take the iPhone into a Verizon store to replace my current phone, do they just need to call her up and get an okay from her?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You can be added as an authorized user online.

She doesn't use a computer and gets her bills mailed to her. I don't think she even knows she can do that stuff online.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

negativeneil posted:

alright, help me out with this quandary.

I'm on a family plan, both my mom and I have grandfathered unlimited plans. My account has an upgrade up for grabs right now.

My mom wants to get into the iPhone 5 and I've offered to let her use my upgrade to do so.

If she uses MY upgrade but puts the subsidized phone on HER line, that means HER unlimited data plan gets booted to a tiered plan, right? And my unlimited data plan remains intact?

Followup question: in a few months when her line is eligible for an upgrade, is there any way that she can purchase say, a Galaxy S3, and I can get it put on my line without losing unlimited data?

You will lose unlimited data on whichever lines uses the upgrade. If you want to keep it, buy a phone off contract. No way around it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

foodfight posted:

Yeah I just switched to the 2GB for $30 a month and I'm interested in how much it is if I go over. I read it is $10 for 2 additional GB, is that accurate?
I may be mis-remembering how exactly he said it but our Verizon rep had stated that if you are going to be over or under your monthly limit you can call it get it switched to a different tier, be credited back the original amount and only pay the difference, rather than getting prorated. That and your limit goes back to zero when you switch so in reality you can use much more than you pay for and effectively work the system.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Making any upgrades to your line will kill unlimited data, if you want to keep it buy used or unsubsidized.

Anyone not using their upgrade and want to get me an iPhone and have it switched to my number? I am loving impatient to wait 5 months for my upgrade.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

I ended up adding a 9.99 line instead of going unsubsidized.
With that though you're paying $10 a month more over two years right? My line is pretty cheap as it is but adding an extra $10 a month doesn't seem worth it to me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But he said "paying full price for the phone". If that means retail price, he should keep unlimited. Right?

Yes, you can retain your unlimited data by simply doing an equipment change. Using your upgrade and buying a phone at a subsidized price will cause you to lose it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cross posting from the iPhone 5 thread:

Verizon released a statement regarding the unlocked SIM slot on their iPhone 5's. It's permanent.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/24/verizon-our-iphone-5-sim-slot-will-never-be-carrier-locked/
So does this mean that AT&T phones can be brought over to Verizon an vice versa?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Ah okay, wasn't sure if they made more than one version of the iPhone again this time around. Thanks for clarifying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ExtremeODD posted:

I have a dumb question: I have two lines on my contract, line A and line B. Can I swap phones from A-B? Like use line B's phone on line A and vice versa? I'd have to imagine verizon could do this but just want to double check. GF is about to get a galaxy 3 and wants to swap it for my bionic (thats love right there).

Yeah, its called an equipment change and its pretty common.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

blakout posted:

Cnets reviews up tl:dr phones great cameras lovely 4/5

Does CNET ever rate anything not 4/5?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I've ran into this exact thing at my Verizon stores. We have three in my town and all were $50 more than the website. It also pissed me off and I walked out. To me walking into a cell phone store is worse than walking into a car dealership.

It costs more in stores because the employees make commission. Also why a lot of what they say is bullshit. I work at a huge retail store and get paid hourly and we can offer around $50 less than corporate stores and Best Buy for that reason, but for some reason we sell phones for a dollar where everyone else does it for free.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So with the Nexus 4 ruled out for us, what is there in the pipeline that will be one to watch for? I'm debating on the Note 2, but I've got smaller hands. I love everything about it but the size makes me nervous, hope I can find one to play with soon.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I am about to bite the bullet and get myself an iPhone 5. I have a "family plan" where my wife has an iPhone 4; and we are still on unlimited data.

I could have sworn I saw someone here post that there was trickery I could do to get the new phone at a cheaper price, without losing unlimited data. Something like add a new line for $10 a month, then switch the transfer or something? I don't know, perhaps I dreamed this?

Add a new line to the account, buy iPhone 5 with that new line. Have Verizon do an equipment change to move the iPhone 5 to the desired line. From there you can either decide to pay an ETF fee to remove that line or just pay $10/month over 2 years.

Apparently some people are able to retain their unlimited plans even when upgrading but your milage may vary.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Paying $240 over two years sure does sound better than paying $800 for an iPhone.

Any idea how people managed to keep unlimited data when upgrading? Were they just crossing their fingers or is there a way they can tell online before agreeing?

Thank you so much.

Honestly I don't know, I may be even remembering it incorrectly but I know for a fact AT&T is allowing customers to keep their unlimited data. I believe Verizon is allowing people to keep them if they are upgrading to the iPhone but someone else will have to chime in on that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm going to be torn on whether or not to try the Note 2. Even with my small hands it still felt fine to hold (especially compared to the original), and using the S-Pen is just as convenient as your thumbs but doesn't smudge the drat screen!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I know it exists as that's what the Best Buy rep was offering me when I got my phone on Black Friday. I want to say it was a 2GB and 4GB tier. Unfortunately it wasn't that great of a price and opted for the Everything Share Plan anyway since I was planning to bring my mother onto my plan with me.

They only exist if you're still under the old family and individual plans, new customers have to go with the Share Everything business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

So how are the VZW Note 2s working for those who got them? Any weirdness specific to them?

The only thing I could suss out that appears to be real from reading around was that Multi Window is missing a bunch of apps that the other versions have (gmail and Youtube notably). Even VZs picture of that feature doesn't show them.

Honestly, it doesn't seem all that fast compared to my Gnex. I mean, it still redraws my homepage almost every time I go back to it and flipping between apps doesn't seem that much quicker. However, the screen is gorgeous, battery life is as awesome as expected and I get a hell of a lot better reception for wifi and 4G.

Going to charge it to full tonight then see how long I can leave it off the charger, pretty happy to finally have my hands on one.

• Locked thread