Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
If you were coming from a 3G smartphone (Droid X) and bought a used 4G phone (Thunderbolt) and it didn't come with a SIM card, does it cost anything to obtain one and activate through Verizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
"Semi-rumor". What would be more reasonable for me to do? I have a Droid X (3G) and 4G won't be live (albeit there's regular signal in some parts) in my area till later this summer. I'm not due for an upgrade till next April. Should I get a 4G phone on Craigslist or something before July 7th? As far as keeping my unlimited data, does doing that ensure anything? Or should I just hope that semi-rumor is true? Or does any of the little information we have now matter at all?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
So we're basically being forced to decide what is worth more to us: a) The ability to get a subsidized upgrade, or b) keep unlimited data at $30/m. I'm fine with losing A to keep B. Especially since it looks like we're all losing A at some point.* Might as well hold on to something. Hopefully Verizon keeps it that simple and doesn't change their mind on how they view data. "Oh hey this guy just activated a 4G phone and had a 3G phone, tier 'em up."

Sorry, got New Every 2 mixed up with subsidized upgrades. Just trying to make sense of everything, not trying to fear-monger any of you. I promise to tone down the misunderstanding before I post. Please accept my deepest apologies Penguissimo.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 21, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ok yesterday I was under the impression that as long as you don't make a change to your plan, you don't have to worry about losing unlimited data. This all hinged on whether or not activating a 4G phone from a 3G phone on your own changed your plan or not. Is there really a feature change of some sort?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Mighty Horse posted:

I know for sure if you don't have an unlimited plan on a 4G phone before the 7th, you aren't getting one after.

Not to challenge you, but how do you know this for sure? I just want some form of documentation to this fact before I buy a Thunderbolt. I have my finger on the buy button.

Am I crazy, or is anyone else going to do like me and get a temporary 4G phone just so they can hold on to unlimited data?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

bull3964 posted:

If not, I may buy a thunderbolt at full retail after July 1st and "return" it after my upgrade comes due and I can get a subsidized one. It'll cost me $35 to do that, but it may be worth it if I otherwise wouldn't be locked into unlimited 4g.

Wouldn't renewing your contract for a subsidized phone be considered a change in your contract and lose your unlimited data?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Serewit, that's a good point. So you're saying that we may get away with keeping unlimited data by getting Thunderbolts now, but down the road if we want to upgrade to a Bionic or whatever, simply by activating it, even if we bought it on CL and activated it ourselves, it would automatically rope us in to tiered. You really think that will be the case?

I'm trying not to come off as panicky or whining about Verizon, because I'll never switch carriers. It's just that, to me at least, going from unlimited for years to capped at 2 GB /m for the same price seems, maybe not unfair, but certainly undesirable. I'm not going to go on a tirade against Verizon, or make tons of posts complaining about it, but I would at least like to explore/discuss possible options for keeping unlimited data. I don't see how that hurts anyone.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I recently moved from an apartment that had great signal to a house that has pretty poor signal. Before I start paying for two forms of Internet again (cable + 3G), is there a recommended signal booster device that I can buy? Googling comes up with a lot of results but I have no idea where to begin with this sort of thing.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Droid Life posted:

...and an internal/non-removable battery.

Why did they do this? :doh:

bull3964 posted:

In all honesty, I've never had to do a battery pull on my OG Droid.

I think it's still overall bad for the customer. What real benefits does it bring? I don't carry extra batteries, but some people like the option to be able to do that maybe over long trips or not having access to a charger for a period of time.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 19, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
nickhimself, for some people that would work. That's why JuiceDefender is so popular. Some people though, myself included, make full use of and kind of depend on getting emails/texts/calls as soon as they are sent to me and I need to respond right away. That's probably why the methods JuiceDefender uses to conserve battery life wouldn't be good for a widespread, out of the box, implementation.

edit: I've spent at least 1.5 hours on the phone, plus emails and texts. Unplugged since 7am and I'm at 80%, rooted Droid X. So, among all of us, our mileage varies.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I feel like an idiot for posting this because it's probably been covered before. I wanted to know what you are all doing about it though. I never even noticed/thought about it.

Using your Google Voice number exclusively basically destroys Mobile-to-Mobile. Am I right in saying that? If I make a call from my GV number to another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. If someone calls my GV number from another Verizon mobile number, I'm still using up minutes. It looks like the only way to still 'use' Mobile-to-Mobile is if the other person calls my Verizon number.

I only have 700 minutes a month. I want to be able to take advantage of Mobile-to-Mobile, but I don't want to have to tell people to only call my VZW number and to only text my GV number. Is there anything we do to circumvent this or has this been general knowledge that we have to put up with and I'm really slow in figuring it out?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm intrigued, but I don't know how I'm going to get myself on a F&F plan. How could I possibly go about asking for this? And if I did manage to get them to add F&F to my plan, would this rope me in to tiered data somehow?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I was complaining before about bad signal in my new house. I figured I might as well call VZW and see what they would say to do, and they said I have 6 cell towers very close to my house and that I should be getting very good signal. They said to call *228, send, then option 2 as it reprovisions something, couldn't quite make it out. Has anyone ever done this? Did it help you?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Would this give me better 3G signal in my house? They say I live in a well covered area, so it's just signal inside the house that needs improving.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've been trying to survive on paying for and using only 3G for data. I might break down and just get broadband through cable or something soon if I can't figure something out...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I couldn't think of a broader thread to post this in, so as a Verizon customer I thought I'd just ask here. Has anyone heard of cell phone numbers "going public" soon? I got an email from a friend saying our cell phone numbers are going to be available to telemarketers and that we'll start receiving calls soon unless we call the national do not call center. Is this true?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Haha, thanks. I should have gone to snopes first. The info is from 2009, but it's still relevant right? This would never happen...

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
When you use voice recognition for making an email, how do you handle punctuation and hitting enter? Is there a way to do with with your voice or do you have to stop whenever you want to make a new sentence, a comma, or a line break?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Panthrax posted:

Anyone know of an app that will auto-reboot your phone at a certain time?

Tasker can do this.

Panthrax posted:

What's currently the best/most stable ROM for Thunderbolt?

CyanogenMod is out and is being actively developed for the TB. I installed Synergy on a friend's TB after upgrading to the newest Kernals/Radios and he's been pretty happy with the stability and quality.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I got the same message as Doctor rear end in a top hat on my Droid X last week. I logged into myVerizon and to upgrade to a Maxx is 289.99 and a Droid 4 is 189.99. Is that the full discounted price? My contract actually ends in April so I want to make sure this is really the full upgrade or not.

And at this point as far as the phone, it seems like a toss up between the Maxx and Gnex. I like the battery life, build quality, and non-Samsungness of the Maxx. It's going to get a custom ROM immediately, so Blur isn't really a problem.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I know the GNex is the developer phone, but Motorola's track record for updates has been good, too. Either way, I've been happy with finding a good custom ROM and just sticking with it. For example, I've been running the same version of MIUI on my Droid X for the past 5 months.

I use GPS a lot, so I really like the battery life that the Maxx has.

Edit: Someone please convince me not to switch to AT&T and get the Samsung Note.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 20, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Ciabatta posted:

Why not? Do it and become the envy of all us CDMA scrubs. If you're GPSing while driving, you may actually have a use for the big screen. If it's too big for your pockets, you can probably get a stylish holster or pouch for it.

Honestly I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, haha. What makes you say "CDMA scrubs"? I already use a holster for my Droid X, I've never put my cell phone in my pockets. What advantages does GSM have over CDMA other than GSM used worldwide or data/voice at the same time? Neither of which is important to me, and with Verizon 4G LTE is a non issue as far as data/voice.

Pros for AT&T/Samsung Note Route:
> Get that huge phone I've been eyeing for a while

Cons for AT&T/Samsung Note Route:
> It's a Samsung. I understand the grievances we all agree about with Samsung phones. It seems like the biggest problems boil down to software updates and build quality. I don't really care about software updates because I almost certainly will be running a custom ROM regardless of the brand phone I end up with. And the Note seems to have a pretty decent build quality. So unless there are other bugs about the Note that haven't been mentioned, there doesn't seem to be a problem, does there?

> Losing unlimited data as I have on Verizon.

Pros for Verizon/Razr Maxx Route:
> Keep unlimited data
> Their coverage map says I have 4G LTE at my house, AT&Ts map says I just have 4G. Is that a big difference?

Cons for Verizon/Razr Maxx Route:
> Don't really see any.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Wow thanks guys for all your replies. After thinking about it, I agree and I'm definitely not going to give up my unlimited data plan just to be on a GSM network and have a laggy Samsung phone that just has an inch bigger screen.

The only thing I'm not sure of now is should I get the Maxx now, or just keep waiting. I haven't messed with my Droid X in a long time. (I must be at least 20 iterations of MIUI updates behind. I'm happy enough with my current setup/functionality/battery life that I'm not motivated to keep trying different ROMs or tweeking things.)

That battery life, though, still super enticing. I think what I'll do is wait another month or 2 and the price of the Maxx will probably go down even more for the upgrade (from 289) and I'll get to see if the development for it meets my approval. Really all I would need is MIUI, CM9, or just a 'bloatfree' version of Blur. I'm not that picky. My wife's upgrade is in a month or 2 and she'll probably want the Droid 4.

Does anyone disagree and think I should order the Maxx right away?

Edit: Maxx or GNex. Man I am so torn between these two phones. I'm starting to lean towards GNex now because the importance of development for a phone is really starting to sink in after reading what you guys are saying. Coming from a Droid X I guess I'm just spoiled, assuming all phones must get the same level of support/development from the community as the X did. It's seeming to me that as time passes and more phones are coming out, devs are being a little more choosy as far as what phones they decide to spend their time on. This is why I would imagine the GNex would be a better choice in the long run. And really, I don't need my phone's battery to last more than 12 hours...

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 20, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah, I see what you're saying and I totally agree. So, now the last decision I face: Get it now, or wait for the price to drop a little. I am uneducated in the trends as far as how long it takes for a phone's price to drop, and how much it even drops. ExcessBLarg, tell me to buy it right now and I will!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
As was mentioned before, Amazon doesn't recognize the early upgrade through Verizon. I just checked my upgrade status through Amazon Wireless and it said April 4th. I can definitely wait till then. I have not been chomping at the bit to upgrade, at least I have decided on the GNex, and with the news posted above about the price, it'll be easy for me to wait. Thanks a lot!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Awesome news! I've had my 2 year upgrade for a week or so now and I was willing to wait months for the price of the GNex to go down to use it, but it looks like I won't have to wait very long anymore! Looks like I'm dropping $200 on the GNex tomorrow!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 28, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Just pulled the trigger on the Nexus for $199.99. On the website before the sale it was 289.99 so I was hoping to see $100 off bring it to $189.99. Oh well. No problems here, and I loved seeing this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Cocks Cable posted:

I have to buy a new phone today. What is the consensus on the top android phones currently out? I was looking at the RAZR Maxx but didn't want to pass up other considerations.

Consensus would tell you to consider the Galaxy Nexus. The whole "Nexus:Android::iPhone:iOS" axiom has been repeated over and over again here, but it's never really hit me until I bought the GNex and have been using that every day coming from a Droid X. Using a phone that ICS was designed specifically to run on is really nice. I might be wording that wrong but I think you get the idea.

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago trying to decide between the Maxx and Gnex. Ultimately it came down to which phone will hold its value in the long run, and which will get supported down the road. Motorola as of late seems to be on a trend of releasing a flagship phone every 6 months or so and kind of dropping support for anything but their top devices.

The Maxx's battery life was quite appealing, but then I realized I really don't need my battery to be at 40% when I charge it at the end of the day overnight. If it's at 40%, 10%, or 5% when I plug it in at night it makes no difference. My GNex has been lasting me all day with pretty heavy use including GPS. I am rooted though, running LeanKernel and Liquid.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I got tired of waiting and installed the IMM76K leak for the GN and it has completely fixed my battery issues. I went from getting six hours out of a battery to being at 30% after 26 hours with some pretty heavy usage.

Why has Verizon been sitting on this update for ~3 months now?

No idea about Verizon, but did you install only the Radios for IMM76K, the ROM only, or both? I'm curious to see what really impacts the battery life. I flashed the latest official radios, but I'm still running Liquid. If battery life is like that, I can easily make the jump from Liquid to the stock rooted IMM76K.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Probably would be better in the rooting thread, but I'm waiting for LiquidSmooth to use this for his next build. I'm not having any problems or nearly bad enough battery to lose LiquidSmooths benefits for official 4.0.4. (Pretty sure Liquid is built on leaked 4.0.4 right now)

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Don Lapre posted:

Never going to give up my $10/m unlimited smartphone data promo

A friend of mine is on that promo. Does this migration or end of grandfathered unlimited data somehow not apply to you or him?

Edit: Also, do you think there's a way to get around an ETF because of this? Verizon's service is great, but this is probably my biggest if not only anchor to Verizon as well.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 16, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Don Lapre posted:

The article doesn't actually say they are going to remove unlimited from people for no reason. Its if you buy a new device from verizon. So they are going to make you change when you buy your new contract phone.

So if I never sign a new contract I will keep unlimited data? Sorry for the dumb question. I just want to make sure I understand it right, and I'm not that smart :v:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

kensei posted:

I went back to stock and flashed the leaked 4.0.4 OTA, and it still seems to suck rear end when transitioning from LTE to 3G and back again. If I leave it on CDMA only my extended battery lasts all day, on hybrid it seems to get warm to the touch and runs down quickly. I am starting to wonder if this is one of the hardware issues others have seen or if it is just that LTE in the Portland, OR area sucks.

The 'official' IMM76K is what you're using? I've been tempted to do that myself because of all the fixes and battery life drastically improving.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

traveling midget posted:

[I just switched to a Share Everything plan because I am evil and it was cheaper]

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I'm curious as to how switching to a Share Everything plan worked out being cheaper.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Sorry for another "Will I lose unlimited data if _____?" question but I'm pretty sure the answer is no, I will not lose unlimited data. Just want to check in here and make sure that's right.

My wife and I are on unlimited data, but if I were to add a couple new lines, say 2 iPhone 4s and 2GB data, would we keep unlimited data on our plans? So would it be 2 unlimiteds and 2 2GB data plans on the same bill? A couple family members want to move to Verizon and joining our plan looks to be the cheapest option for them. I don't want to lose unlimited data in the process, though.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Please forgive me if a similar question was asked before:

The USB port on my wife's Droid 4 broke. Motorola support said we can send it in to get replaced/repaired for free if they deem it to be a manufacturer defect. Not wanting to be without a phone and frustration with Android in general, we got her an iPhone. The plan is to activate the iPhone, send the Droid 4 in for repair/replacement, and then sell the Droid 4 when we get it back and continue using the iPhone.

My question is, will this cause any changes/problems? We both have unlimited data, and since activating a different phone doesn't change the contract, as far as I know we/she should keep unlimited. The ESN will remain clean on the Droid 4 and it can be sold with no worries in that regard to my knowledge. Is there anything I'm missing, or will this plan work out?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah it was bought new in June through Amazon. So it was a Verizon upgrade through Amazon. I should still go through Verizon? Or should I go through Amazon?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I appreciate the responses, but my main reason for asking was to confirm that nothing on my plan would change by activating an iPhone. This is correct, right?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Bought it used on SA-Mart, so no subsidies used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm with Verizon so maybe?

I'm planning on visiting Australia for a couple weeks. Usually when I go on vacation I leave my iphone in airplane mode and I never even use it anyway. But for this trip I'll need to stay in communication with others. What's the most cost effective way to stay in communication with the others I'm traveling with? Get a prepaid microsim to use in my iPhone? Or does it not work like that?

• Locked thread