Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So let me get this straight. With this new and 'improved' data plans it is possible to use up an entire month's allowance of data by streaming a single 2 hour movie from Netflix, requiring another $15 charge for more data almost by default. Am I correct in this assumption?

Pretty much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

eig posted:

I don't understand why it even exists for an individual. Who are you sharing with???????

Your other devices! :downs:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Did they want to use Google Voice or did you tell them to?

Generally when I tell my parents "hey, do this thing, it'll save you X dollars a month", they leap at the opportunity, especially when it turns out to be easy once they sit down and turn their brains on.

Then again, my dad is pretty tech savvy (he's the person that basically taught me most of my fundamentals) and my mom catches on quick despite her learning disorders (a nasty case of dyslexia, primarily), so YMMV. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That alone should be investigated because there's no way in hell that the actual cost of a message to the network went up 4 fold in a handful of years.

Aren't SMS messages just carriers on other data packets and literally cost nothing to send/receive, or am I misremembering?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

negativeneil posted:

It's frankly mindblowing how much of a poo poo sandwich the carrier situation is in the US.

But but but regulation is bad, you guys! :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vertigus posted:

I suppose the manufacturers don't have much of a reason not to lock the bootloader when asked.

I imagine the fairly potent amount of backlash they get for it (see: the backlash against Moto, HTC, etc) is a pretty relevant reason. This way, at least Samsung has the get-out-of-hate-free card of "welp, Verizon made us, sorry! :shobon:".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Aatrek posted:

This post on XDA might let you get past the NO SIM CARD screen:

That sounds like some sort of Konami code poo poo, that's hilarious.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

slovach posted:

I don't get why they're even putting out a new unlocked phone (other than $$$). Why couldn't they just release an unlocker or some poo poo instead and make everything a billion times simpler and everyone a lot happier? Ugh.

Because Verizon won't let them. This way, as it's a unique device, they can circumvent that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

So does the locked bootloader mean I can never install a custom Rom? I didn't realize how spoiled I was with Miui and CM7 on my Droid X until having to go back to stock on my GS3 :smith:

No. I've had custom ROMs on both my locked bootloader Motorola devices (D2G, D4).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bull3964 posted:

ICS for the Droid 4 should be rolling soon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/13/droid-4-ice-cream-sandwich-update-approved-by-verizon/

My guess is the Bionic won't be far behind.

Finally! :woop: Hopefully motofail will continue to work after the update to recover root.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hot drat, speak of the devil and so it comes - ICS update is downloading for my D4 now! :woop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

Razrs Edge is the new Moto root tool. Motofail relied on a Gingerbread-specific exploit.

Yep, it worked just fine after I found it on XDA. drat, I was not aware how much I was missing out on by not having ICS, this is awesome.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I haven't had any issues like that myself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

negativeneil posted:

If she uses MY upgrade but puts the subsidized phone on HER line, that means HER unlimited data plan gets booted to a tiered plan, right? And my unlimited data plan remains intact?

Pretty sure the answer to that is no. Your line's upgrade is being consumed, so your line will be shunted to tiered.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Untagged posted:

Is there a good sub-$300 newer phone that can be purchased somewhere at retail? Or even potentially say on EBay in relatively good condition. I've got an old unlimited account that I'd like to keep grandfathered for a while and continue to use without the new cap. Problem is my Droid Pro is slowly becoming a complete piece of poo poo.

I would look towards Swappa before I looked at eBay.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

My standby time on the Droid Turbo with 5.1

:eyepop:

Worth the upgrade? I got the popup for the OTA today but told it maybe later because I'd heard poo poo about issues with Lollipop in other threads.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

5.1 seems to have fixed just about every gripe i have with the phone

i didn't take a screenshot but i drove 5 hours with gps/waze on and the screen on a speedometer app yesterday and my battery was at 40% when i got home

:stare: Jesus christ. And the thing had really good battery life before.

Did you factory reset (or clear cache), or just go with it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Radical. Downloading now. :woop:

E: Jesus have mercy this thing is even faster (somehow) with Lollipop. :stare:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 7, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mine are pretty comparable, so I think it was under the hood improvements:

I'd already spent a couple hours playing with things so it's not "fresh new 5.1" but drat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So even without auto-pay, the two-line unlimited is $150? And each line gets their own 10GB tethering and 22GB before prioritization?

poo poo, I think the girlfriend and I are gonna consolidate our plans and move to that, then. We're both on old unlimited and paying basically $100 a month. I can get down with some savings, especially that includes free tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup, family plan is simple:

$110 for base
$20 per line

Doesn't include cost of phones if you need to buy a phone.

Yeah, we're currently paying down Droid Turbo 2s as it is, I was just considering plan cost (40 for minutes, 50 for data, 10 for texts). poo poo, that's a really good deal.

If she joined her plan into mine and we made a family plan, would she keep her number?

• Locked thread