Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Shalinor posted:

No, the horrible secret is where the catered food on crunch nights comes from.
Crunch food is my favorite part of crunch. It saves me having to figure out dinner, and our food ranges from good to amazing. We happen to still be hiring programmers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

C# is generally used for tools. The core game programming will be in C++, unless you're doing iPhone, which will be in Objective C. Social games will generally be PHP/ActionScript.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Robot Entertainment is hiring!
We're still looking for programmers, and we've also opened up a UI designer/artist position. We're a smallish (<50 person) independent studio located in Plano, TX, and we're working on Orcs Must Die!, and some other unannounced projects.

If you're interested and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Welcome to the world of scoping, where sometimes the features that everyone loves and wants get sacrificed on the altar of "we have a schedule to keep".

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

striff posted:

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Got my portfolio up online, was just curious if you guys could critique it. Going to be graduating in a couple months so decided to put all my stuff together online :

http://codymeyer3d.com/

would be nice to get some people in the industry opinion's.
The FreeRealms button looked like an advertisement to me, and not a link to more in your portfolio. I had to mouse over it and check the URL to see that it was actually an internal link.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't the CoD codebase still the same tech originally based on Quake 2 or Quake 3?

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Senso posted:

Not that I am currently looking for a job, I am happy working for this game company in SE Asia, but I'm curious to see if there exists Python programming jobs in the game industry. Maybe for scripting engines, or for production-related tools?
CCP uses a lot of Python for Eve. I don't know about other studios, but almost all of our tools are done in C#.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Python is largely useless for game development outside of hobbyist stuff, but it's very closely related to Lua, which does see quite a bit of use.
I guess if you call being the language used for an MMO client and server mostly useless, then yes, Python is mostly useless for game development.

Wikipedia posted:

Both the server and the client software for Eve Online are developed in Stackless Python, a variant of the Python programming language.
Civ 4 also used Python for a lot of the gameplay logic, and I'm sure there are other examples of it being used as a scripting language embedded in the engine.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Personally I would go for the readable answer with a comment showing the faster version. I prefer to get something in that works and is understandable first, and then go back and optimize later if it's slow.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Waterbed posted:

To whoever the guy(s?) here that was working on Orcs Must Die. Congratulations on taking a game genre I absolutely despised and making it actually fun. You guys deserve a lot of respect, really awesome game :)
Thanks. I think there are at least 3 of us that post here, possibly more.

Also, that seems like an excuse for a shameless plug. If you're a programmer, Robot Entertainment is hiring. We just launched Orcs Must Die!, and we've got more in the pipe that you could be working on.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

So my university teaches us that we should learn both, because we have a 50/50 chance of applying for a job with a studio that uses either, but I just want to settle an argument with my classmates.

Max or Maya?
Both of the studios I've worked at have been Max houses.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Anyone have any suggestions for a good book on x86 assembly? I'm not looking to become an assembly wizard, it just would be nice to have a little better understanding when I end up digging through the disassembly when I'm looking at a crash dump.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

http://www.robotentertainment.com/studio/photos
Head on down to the April 2010 section to see photos of what our office space looks like. It's open, but everyone has their own space. Our desks are also all on wheels, so that we can rearrange easily when people change game teams.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

wodin posted:

As a side note to Chainclaw's point, I can't imagine why you wouldn't give your employees two monitors in this day and age - the sheer volume of data it allows you to process is worth every penny, and given how much the person is going to cost over the course of the year an extra $300-500 for a decent second monitor is going to pay for itself in productivity in like a week or two at worst. Three with a portrait vertical one is probably pushing it since you start having to upgrade graphics cards to drive that kind of stuff, but two should just be standard issue.
As game developers you tend to need the upgraded graphics cards anyway. I run three 24" monitors, but it's for 2 PC's. I actually think that putting designers in pairs in offices works out really well. There's still someone to bounce ideas off, but you can also have long discussions/arguments without disrupting other people. Also, having at least a small whiteboard for everyone (and half of the desk locations at our office have full wall size ones, around 4x8ft probably) is amazing.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Despite us having unlimited soda in the fridge, I've finally managed to get myself onto a 1-2 can a day habit instead of going through probably at least 6 cans a day of Dr Pepper. I've supplanted it with tea instead (although it's still sweetened), and it's definitely helped. I've also started buying the cane sugar Dr Pepper for home, since if I only have one a day max, it's not so horribly expensive, and it's so much better.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

My desk is covered in Legos (mostly Harry Potter, my space shuttle is somewhere else in the office), and I have a small arsenal of Nerf guns behind it. It's been a while since I did an inventory, but at one point I had enough Nerf guns to go through about 100 rounds of ammo simply by using each gun until it ran empty, then throwing it away, and switching to a new gun. I also have the talking Portal turret plush on my desk, although it has to stay off at all times, because it's really annoying when the motion sensor is actually turned on.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

quote:

Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam.
I think the important thing is some of the next games, I assume they aren't killing their existing approval process, this is just to supplement it. So this way they don't have to run through whatever their internal process is for new indie games, they can just farm them out to Steam Greenlight, and see what bubbles up.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

You know, build engineering can be pretty boring and involves sitting around waiting for servers to do things (to discover that you screwed up your change, time to check in a new one and wait another 2 hours to see if it works), but when you realize you've gotten it to the point where you can build, package, and deploy a new build of the game with a total of 3 clicks, it feels pretty good.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

I'd just like to pop in here and tell anyone in charge of naming anything in an ongoing game to never ever name any system "new X," because eventually that thing will no longer be new, and you'll have to replace it.
I present to you my way of dealing with this problem:
cConfigUseFinalLogin
cConfigUseReallyFinalLogin
(There were also no less than 4 different layouts for the login screen)

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I always call those Heisenbugs.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

It's amazing how much pain can be caused by missing a single $ in a regular expression... .*perf breaks the entire world horribly, but .*perf$ removes exactly what it was supposed to.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

The only part of our office that doesn't have the lights on is the pod full of artists. Everyone else here likes to work in the light.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I've got the Lego London Tower Bridge, Lego Hogwarts, a Nerf Praxis (the disk gun), a mini Tiger tank, a Magic 8 ball, and a set of Buckyballs. On the shelf behind my desk is most of the rest of my Nerf guns: two Stampedes, a Raider, a Barracade, a Vigilon, and probably a Maverick. My Lego Space Shuttle is on a shelf in the office, and I'm using a spare empty desk to house my Nerf Vulcan.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

True, but the dev cycle on casual/mobile is a lot shorter, so you can talk about what you're working on a lot faster. With AAA you might be working on a title for a year or more before it even announces, where a mobile team might ship 2 or 3 (or more???) titles in that same year.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Ah the joys of building unit tests (or something similar anyway). They're only as useful as you are good at being able to come up with the tests. They are also only as useful as you are at remembering your own assumptions in building whatever feature you're testing. Plus, you get the added benefit of people thinking that if they fix all of the test warnings there can't be any other problems, right?

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Agreed. You didn't give him much information to work with, so he gave you a BS answer (I'm not defending his design philosophy, anyone who says that is a lovely designer). I get motion sickness in certain situations (a spiral staircase set it off last time), and you really have to give them as much information as possible. Different things set off different people.

Also bringing up getting motion sick in a meeting is an invitation for whomever has the controller to make circles with the movement sticks.
For me low FOV (below about 90) tends to trigger it. The original Borderlands set it off for me in under 5 minutes until I found the FOV mods.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

At least it's not a true rumor...

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm a programmer at Robot and worked on OMD 1 and OMD 2. Sappers are giant jerks, brimstone traps are probably the easiest way to murder them as long as they are at the start of a wave. Also, it's always awesome to hear that people liked the games.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Is it? It seems like I very rarely hear about high profile failures at premium price points, especially with niche titles.
If a niche premium iOS title fails and no one is there to notice (because it's a niche title), does it still make a sound?

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Shindragon posted:

drat didn't think AAA would look down on them. Considering SF were there is like 10+ moblie companies (all which I failed to get a interview with :v:, ok a few I manage to but failed to impress) and maybe like one or two companies in SF.

I thinks its Lucaarts and Doublefine.

There is EA but pretty sure they closed down.
EA has their corporate HQ in Redwood Shores, and I think Maxis still also has a separate office in Emeryville (unless they finally closed that and moved them into EARS).

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Uba Stij posted:

After reading the OP I have a small, rather random question.

Would people who currently work in the video production and cable network business have any suitable skillsets that would translate over to the gaming industry (sans animation)

Are there any Goons here who do that sort of work, whether it be for marketing or possibly even as a third party for a publisher?

Edit - To clarify the skillset I'm referencing:

- Video editing.
- Live stream production.
- Video production management.
- Metadata curation of library files & exporting to third party systems.
There are definitely these kinds of jobs, although I don't know how many of them there are (I know of one person who does a significant amount of this for EA internally).

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I think the general concept is sound, and the awareness building is great, but I saw it as funding someone who wouldn't be able to go otherwise going, rather than funding someone who was going either way going. It just feels dirty to be using Kickstarter to fund doing something you were going to do anyway. It would be much better to use the money to fund a scholarship program to get more girls to go to events like this, and if that's what they actually end up doing with the proceeds, great. I also feel people like Richard Garriot and Peter Molyneux using Kickstarter is missing the spirit of using Kickstarter, if not the letter.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

devilmouse posted:

Havok's physics and AI libraries were always good, I wonder how a whole engine by them will shake out:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43640/GDC-13-Havok-unveils-free-3D-mobile-game-engine

Also I really want to know more about the license because that looks too good to be true.

edit: vvv: You're probably right... I have a large blind spot over the past few years for AAA engines that didn't target web/mobile! Last time I used anything Havok-related, it was just physics and AI.
Yeah, Vision used to be Trinigy, which Havok bought a while ago. It's the engine that powered both of the Orcs Must Die! games. It has actually supported mobile for a while. It's going to be interesting to see how it goes as a free mobile engine, it seems like competing with Unity isn't exactly easy. I guess if it's really free, they do win on price compared to Unity for mobile (that still requires the $1,500 per seat option, right?).

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

That Gobbo posted:

Anyone with modeling experience in the industry, which modeling program is more commonly used: 3DS Max or Maya? From what I've heard it's split with a little more working in Maya, been working a bit in 3DS Max and was curious about whether I should switch and focus on Maya. Being able to work in either of them for free thanks to the Autodesk Student stuff has been awesome.
It depends on the studio. Both of the places I've worked (EALA RTS and Robot) have been Max houses.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Probably depends where you go to ask too. Here at Robot I'm pretty sure my just under 5 years in the industry is dragging the company wide average down.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

devilmouse posted:

The rumored Bioshock: Infinite numbers are ... yeah. 100MM dev budget + 100MM marketing.
$200 million seems reasonable for the budget for Infinite. The costs in AAA just keep going up. I'll be curious to see how the next-gen console transition goes. Are AAA titles going to be targeting current and next-gen platforms at the same time, or are they going to just drop the legacy consoles and go next-gen only?

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

So, thats great and all, until p4 goes away for a week or two. Then its awful as hell.
If your P4 server is down for a couple weeks you have a serious problem. That sort of thing is where if it's a hardware issue, someone should be calling the vendor to overnight or fly someone out with parts to fix as soon as possible.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

zolthorg posted:

You're exactly right that a number between 0% and 100% is a wrong assumption because the percentage is negative. The Swiss Government commissioned a study showing the obvious:
1) More then a third of Swiss citizens over 15 download music, movies and games without paying for them.
2) The percentage of disposable income spent on consumption in this area remains constant. However, shifts are observed within that budget.
3) This frees up a portion of their budgets, and the released portion is invested in concerts, theatre visits and merchandising.

Here's a quick blurb in english:
http://boingboing.net/2011/12/03/swiss-govt-study-downloadin.html

The original Swiss Government Media Release (chrome will translate this for you):
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/ejpd/de/home/dokumentation/mi/2011/2011-11-30.html

And the link to the study from the Swiss Federal Government site (if you can read German):
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/dam/data/pressemitteilung/2011/2011-11-30/ber-br-d.pdf

Or French:
http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/dam/data/pressemitteilung/2011/2011-11-30/ber-br-f.pdf
So people pirating games leads to higher attendance at Video Games Live which helps the people who created the pirated games due to ??? It's great that piracy in the music business helps artists because they have other ways of earning money on their music. That isn't exactly applicable in games, so I don't see how the argument applies.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

If we're sharing war stories, 26 with 5 years experience (if you count my internship at EA), and if not, just short of 5 continuous years, and on my second job overall. A bit under 2 years at EA followed by the last 3 years at Robot. I also happen to be a programmer with a humanities degree (Comparative Media Studies) from MIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: ^^ Believe me, you don't want me life drawing. I make paper cry.

A programmer with a general humanities degree? :aaa:

Did you spend your entire time at uni scowling at your coursemates?
Well, the secret is that my humanities degree was heavily game design biased. I went into the industry as a designer that knows how to program, and ended up really just being a programmer that knows a little bit about design. I also was a CS major at MIT for a couple years, but dropped it because their CS program was all theory, no practical. At EA I was the designer that did all sorts of crazy prototype code for design ideas while the actual gameplay team was busy shipping a different game. Then when time came for me to be a real designer because the actual engineers were back, I was pretty awful at it and unhappy, so they eventually just turned me into an AI programmer.