Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

For journalists/writers, for god's sake, be on loving time.

Having both edited and written for mags/sites in the past, I can confirm that I (at least) would much rather you submit things on time over submitting things that are good, because at least I can edit crap and try to salvage it.

Barring that, have a really great excuse.

If anyone cares, I've been freelance writing / translating in games for over a decade, first for the media but mostly for actual games nowadays. I fell into it via a very long and non-repeatable sequence of events (you can no longer start a website on your high school web server and get noticed by anyone, for example).

I always feel bad when someone says "How can I get your job?" because I have no idea how I got my job. My gut reaction, especially when I'm in a lull, is chiefly "Don't, because then I'll have more competition."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Dragon Warrior VII, the first professional localization project I was ever involved in, featured me misspelling the word "it" in in-game dialogue.

I think that might be part of the reason I didn't make it into the credits on that one.

I forget at this point what my first actual credit was. It might've been Guilty Gear X on the GBA. I probably should've kept better tabs.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Media isn't really a "game job", I know, but while I was working at Ziff I mentioned in passing on neogaf that I saw the dude in the next cubicle reviewing GTA:SA (remember that Rockstar didn't show the actual game running at all before launch) and even that was enough for the EIC to come in and have The Talk with me.

That weaned me of the habit of posting to game forums real quick. Let em stew in their own juices. Any benefit of dealing with them is far outweighed by everything else.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

Any translators/localizers in the house that wanna be on a panel at PAX Prime? One of my panelists is apparently getting deported shortly after E3. :stare:

Post, PM, or e-mail (my username at googlemail) if you're interested/want details.

If you can pay for my trip over there, sure ;-*

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

People say Japan isn't ahead of the US in anything game-related at all, but I think they are in one important aspect: As of right now, AAA games are quickly dying because they are always money losers except for Monster Hunter and the few Japanese AAA brands that still excite people overseas. This is mainly due to the older Japanese generation (the one that grew up with the 16 bits, etc) getting bored of games and the younger generation getting most of their gaming either from the PSP or from phones.

There are either really niche otaku oriented games (which I'll be charitable and compare with indie projects, because really the budgets are similar) or social games.

Konami makes lots more money off consumer-milking social games in Asia than they do off Metal Gear. They humor Kojima Pro's chronic lateness because the games always turn a profit, at least.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I've provided translations for something like six dozen games over the years and because they're all J->E projects I don't think any of them are above 80 on metacritic. Nier has this reputation of being a core/game-media darling and its metascore is 68.

Still, my social-game stuff gets read by millions daily (?), so I guess I have that to be happy for.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Apropos of nothing, but since GamePro was my first non-Wendy's-type job ever, it brings a slight tear of joy to my eye to know they're still going strong in Germany :unsmith:

(It's surprising by the way how many ex-GP'ers now have jobs in games. Not just in PR as is the stereotypical "game journalist" career path, either, but actually in dev. I think more so than EGM, etc. even. GP was crap not because of lack of talent, but because the management crushed everybody's hearts to pieces.)

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

devilmouse posted:

What's the over/under on the time until they put up a Kickstarter?

Judging by Greg's farewell post in particular it sounds like he barely even wants to touch another video game for at least a few years.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

One thing we didnt have:

Showdudes. Phwoar!

I'd like to see what Kotaku would do with this if someone at E3 tried it

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Swery?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I'm pretty sure that back when everyone who posts here was growing up, we read game magazines at least a little bit. We liked them because they had all kinds of access to stuff that we didn't have access too -- games before they were released, behind-the-scenes looks at game studios, trips to Japan, etc. We thought they were really awesome people and wished we could be them someday.

Nowadays game media is dying, and by that I don't mean print media but all of game media. That's because not only have regular consumers realized that game media are just normal people like you and me, but the PR people at publishers have realized that too and so now they're just concentrating on their own communities (and Twitter and Facebook) instead of giving media first priority. People pay more attention to community sites or neogaf or Reddit than they do to IGN etc. and the "trust" I think has shifted there.

So as a result stuff like that PS3 thing, which -- if (made-up example) EGM got a free Game Boy screen grabber from Nintendo in 1990 so they could take screenshots with that, and then Nintendo got more Game Boy coverage in EGM as a result of that, would you have seen that as unethical? I don't think so. But people's idea of what it means to be game media has changed irrevocably.

Short version of the story is that enthusiast media like this has always been inherently "corrupt" but people care about it a lot more in this era of internet openness.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 25, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I work in J->E translation and yeah that's nearly all freelancing as well. When I first started doing this I had dreams of working for Nintendo or Square or whatever, but freelance is way cooler because a) you get to work on all kinds of stuff so it's always new b) you work your own hours.

Disadvantages include lack of steady paycheck, no benefits that you don't pay in full for, etc, but hey it's not like office jobs in the game industry are steadier these days :v:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Are you by any chance one of the Carpe Fulgur guys, or do we have more J->E folks than I'd realized?

No, I've never worked with those folks, tho at this point my work is kinda 50/50 game/non-game stuff and so I don't do a lotta stuff apart from my main long-term contacts. I think as far as SA is concerned, there's me, and there's Douglas Dinsdale (who's been around even longer than I have), and we mostly hang out in the retro thread on Games more'n anything else.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I rarely get the chance to brag here but MGR: Revengeance came out the other day to what seem to be pretty OK reviews. I worked a great deal on the EN localization of the game (including writing the EN for pretty much all of the codecs) so it's a pretty :unsmith: moment for me, even though it's not as if I receive royalties or anything.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Observe this rad dude literally typing a wall of text about QA procedures. Boosh.

Sometimes I get lonely because I work freelance by myself at home all day, but then I remember people at the workplace who went out of their way to talk like this and I realize how beneficial this current situation is for my blood pressure.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Seriously late on this, but I'm 35 and, thanks to someone updating some credits on mobygames, I now have a provable career in localization dating back to 2002. :woop:

I keep thinking it'll peter out next year and it never does.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

I think the two things I've learned with the many recent rounds of layoffs everywhere is: Always keep your resume up to date and constantly be networking. Don't believe anything you are told about how well things are going, always expect the hammer to drop at any moment.

Also, on "should you just roll on your severance for a while instead of getting back to work right away", I was really tempted to do this, but I quickly realized I really do like going to a place with other people and working every day. Working from home on my side projects is exciting, but stressful, and I get some extreme cabin fever.

These two paragraphs seem pretty incompatible with each other. You like working with people, and you also expect to be fired and separated from them at any moment? How is that conducive to having a happy career at all?

(Disclosure: I went freelance years ago and never looked back at the infighting, the commutes, and yes, that looming sense of doom you get. A lot of places out there show about as much loyalty for employees as the Wendy's they eat lunch at, despite the interview hurdles.)

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Aliginge posted:

As an aside to this, fan-mail from an eight year old which has come from the other side of the planet is the most adorable thing ever.

When I worked in game mags we got a lot more mail from people in penitentiaries than children.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

I've been doing just this fulltime for 5 years now, altho these days my work is more like half-and-half between games and other stuff. I got my start by writing a lot about games on the Web (this was back in the late '90s when this was still considered special), studying in Japan during college for a while, getting referred to real-life game media by people I submitted stuff to, and using connections from there. All my work is Internet-based at this point from my contacts and I make enough to live pretty comfortably up here in Oregon, though pretty much all of my old Bay Area friends have been priced out of SF and now live in Oakland etc.

This same topic just got brought up over in the Japan-language thread but in some ways, if you want to really learn a language, it doesn't really matter what you do while you're there, as long as you're in the country where it's used for a long period of time and make a concerted effort at learning the language instead of hanging out with fellow expats all the time. In doing so you'll also build connections that'll eventually get you a job. That's the only real "secret" to it.

Also nobody in games will possibly care about a masters. Provide some good work samples instead when that time comes.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I'm not going but something I contributed to a little is being announced there woo~

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Am I the only one who thinks this a little selfish of Levine? I mean it's one thing for Muzyka to step down so he can drink beer or whatever, but shut down the company as well?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Given the long delays and amount of high profile lead turnover during the development of Infinite, and the long delays between DLCs, it seems like Take Two lost all faith in the studio's ability to deliver a real project, but wanted to keep some of the leadership around.

That makes more sense. I think I'm just bitter at how it seems like even the best devs can expect at most to be at one gig for around 2-3 years now, regardless of personal ability or contribution. I'm probably old enough now that it seems like too much stress for the effort, particularly in AAA.

I started in localization a decade or so ago almost 100% in the field of games and now it's more like half games, half stuff that's really boring, but pays the bills a hell of a lot better and is predictably stable.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

wrong thread...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sion posted:

Well, you have to think about how active the imagination of a Kotaku writer is! I mean, they exist in a world of pure imagination where they think that they're relevant and haven't been supplanted by YouTube personalities.

YouTube personalities are one top reason why I feel old at 37.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I turned down a job at Gamers.com in 2000 in order to finish my degree.

If you know what Gamers.com is you're too old to be reading this thread.