Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Prison Warden posted:

Just about what I'd expect from a manga popularity poll. Mikasa is cool and all, but she really needs to start actually doing something to be moved up in my own personal list. Eren is fun just for the fact that he is a loving nutcase. So many shounen protagonists are full of either "I'll protect my friends" burning spirit or angst, his gleeful hatred and desire to commit genocide really makes him great.

Something like.. being awesome and kicking titan asses like noone else?

Cake Attack posted:

It's pretty impressive that Levi managed to crush Eren/Mikasa in the poll. With 90% of these polls it seems like the protagonists are glued to first place, even if they're not that interesting.

Its kinda weird to me. I introduced this manga to lots of friends and Mikasa is the favorite character of 100% of then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RatHat posted:

I think the biggest reveal in this chapter was the implication that apparently all human-Titans are Titans turned Human, not the other way around. Is Eren the lone exception then?

I dont think so Ymir said she's spent 60 years in titan form, then went back to human. She was human before

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TheKingofSprings posted:

I actually legit thought it was Christa at first when I read the manga. Having her so close at hand after the Titan bolted made me initially suspicious.

It helps that the manga wasn't colored; really after I figured out it was Annie I felt absolutely retarded for having ever considered Christa. :downs:

Me too. I even had a whole theory about her suspicious behavior during that mission.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lestaki posted:

Any 'Mikasa is a titan' theory needs to explain why the cut Eren inflicted on her didn't regenerate away, or else make the argument that the regeneration component of being a Titan is somehow disabled until they first transform or whatever.

Which makes sense.

If Eren had regenerative powers before, he would probably know it by the time he became a titan for the first time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was watching the anime yesterday and I noticed that, in the new credits clip, on that scene where we have everybody standing by a wall, everyone on the left side o the wall (Annie, Reiner, Berthold, Ymir and Christa) is a titan.. except Christa.

I wonder if it means something or its just a coincidence.

Also, the last episode was really good, probably the best so far.

EDIT: by the way, why they changed "Rivaille" to "Levi"?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lestaki posted:

Given she doesn't have Titan regeneration, she'd be her own thing

How can you be so sure?

I have seen no indication that Eren had regeneration before transforming into a titan for the first time.

Its quite unlikely that he never got hurt before.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

dirty nub posted:

It just seems weird to me that the people living behind the wall have no knowledge of their history outside of "titans showed up and killed everyone." I thought it was mentioned that only 100 years had passed since the titans showed up. A huge wall like that doesn't just appear overnight and even considering the wall is made out of titans people would have to know about that. It just seems like there might be more to it. Maybe some kind of north korea brain washing or the war has been going on longer than 100 years.

That's my biggest problem with the plot too.

100 years its a really short time for history to have been almost completely forgotten like this. I can understand that the wall cult and the government made history kida of a taboo and outlawed the history books and all, but still, it has been only a century.

There is no way even oral history about the events would have vanished so fast.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Denim Avenger posted:

That assumes that most people even really understood the Titans as the events unfolded.

No, Im only assuming that some people saw and remembered how they found/built the walls and when that was and where were they before and would tell his grandchildren about it because why not?

A century is not that much time. Armin's father's grandfather, for example, could to have been alive by the time humanity came to the walls.

And 100 years also seems like a really shot period for then to have built such a big country inside those walls.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 4, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, for some reason I was thinking about the "romantic relations" between main characters.

We know that:

- both Reiner and Ymir likes Christa (who probably likes Ymir)

- Jean loves Mikasa, who loves Eren

- Bethold loves Annie, who (I think) loves Armin

Sasha should pair up with Connie, I guess.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Amazing chapter, many important new facts.

Now we know for sure that:

- Ymir is a human with titan powers, like everyone else, not something different. That ends some speculation that has been going in this thread

- Ymir belongs to no faction

- "Titan Power" is something that can be given or stolen. I think that's important to keep in mind

- Annie-Reiner-Berthold people dont know the secrets about the wall (and that's why they want Historia)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Genocyber posted:

Not necessarily. "Stealing" Titan power could just be stealing whatever it is that gives human's that ability (like the injection Grisha gave Eren).

That's what I mean. Whatever it is that cause people to became human-titans is something that can be stolen

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could it be as simple as she ate their human-titan buddy?

I dont think so, since she was already in titan form and she did that. I would bet she stole whatever it was, use it on herself and the while running out she met Reiner, Berthold and this other guy and ended up eating him.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

NiceAaron posted:

Could be less "stealing the power to turn into a titan" and more "stealing the power to switch between titan and human forms".

Humm, maybe. But I still think is probably the former: she stole whatever they have that makes regular humans able to transform into titans and then used it on herself

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

of bees posted:

Don't forget that previously Ymir said she had been a titan for about 60 years. So either what she stole allowed her to become human again, or the flashback with Bert and Ernie happened a looooong time ago.

That's my guess, actually.

It never made any sense to me that Bert and Reiner could do all they did if they were about the same age as Eren were during the first attack. They were probably adults already, they are probably a lot older than we know, just like Ymir.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nelson Mandingo posted:

One thing I'm surprised nobody is talking about is the fact Berthold and Reiner's group has complete control inside and outside the walls. This is a pretty significant development, this means that this isn't a battle between the monarchy/wallcult and the warrior group outside. They're likely the same organization.

Not at all, where are you getting that from?

Ymir is capturing Historia to get pardon by their faction, and Historia is important for then because she can reveal wall secrets, know by the cult. If they want/need that information, its because they are not from the same organization, and are likely enemies

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shadow0 posted:

This was brought up a while ago, but I wasn't at a computer and SA really needs a phone app or something. Anyway, humanity hiding behind the wall for only a hundred years and yet seemingly forgetting everything except the one book that Armin has is kind of ridiculous. Like Star Wars Episode 3 -> 4 ridiculous. There are millions of people and it is barely two/three generations ago. I don't understand how only the wall cult knows about the millions of Jedi that existed only twenty years ago walls

I always think about that, is the one thing that bothers me about the plot.

100 years is not enough time for all that seems to have happened: a whole country being erected inside the walls while everyone forgets about history and the outside world and how they got to the walls in the first place.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hodgepodge posted:

I think we're overlooking one possibility: "one-hundred years" might just be what they tell kids, or the official dogma in general. Meanwhile, it could have been far longer.

I like this theory, makes everything a lot more reasonable and interesting.

I hope is true.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Broken Knees Club posted:

If it's a lie, then it would be in the other direction. Although I don't see any difference between 100 and 1000 years. Any number past 80 means absolutely no (human) first-hand accounts left.

100 years ago means you grampa might have heard about it from his grampa. The same cant be said about 1000 years ago.

Its quite a big difference.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AxeBreaker posted:

Before the fall's Prologue is up, and 4-chan is 50/50 making GBS threads on it/liking it.

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan_btf/0/2034/1

I kinda like the art style, but it kinda reminds me of an old White Wolf artist I hated. I'd want to see more titans before I judge though.

Ive been out of date with this thread, can someone explain to me what is this thing?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

UberJumper posted:

Thanks, if anyone is curious it is actually Chapter 28 i am guessing is going to be the first chapter of english book 7.

The manga has also pointed out how terrible i am with remembering certain characters.
- The dude with grey hair from the anime is Jean, and not Reiner.
- Reiner was also not the one who was eaten in trost, that was thomas, and not reiner
My memory is really terrible.

Ive spent half of the manga thinking that Reiner and Jean were the same guy

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, Jean still has a huge crush on her. That could go somewhere. And she still has a ~mysterious past~ with regards to her birth family.

Come to think of it, Isayama does seem to like his love triangles. Offhand:

Jean --> Mikasa --> Eren
Bertholt --> Annie --> Eren
Reiner --> Christa <--> Ymir

Annie likes Armin, not Eren

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jackard posted:

Um did you miss the scene with her sparring with Eren and then Mikasa?

Well, I certanly do not remember any great demonstration of love for Eren from Annie, but I have a lovely memory, so you might be right.

At the same time, I do remember several times when she showed a lot of respect and affection for Armin, to the point of endangering her mission because of it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Factory Factory posted:

We have some hints, via Ymir, that a human-titan is feral unless they eat another human-titan. Eren's dad allowed Eren-Titan to eat him so Eren would return to human form?

We have some speculation about it, if that's what you mean.

And its a pretty weak theory, IMHO, based on a single phrase that can interpreted in a number of ways, and already disproved by Eren himself, who inst "feral" anymore and never ate another human-titan.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Illuyankas posted:

That prologue thing has a good reason for why Sasquatch doesn't recognise the 3D gear if they've only been around for less than 30 years. Seems a little short to me, though.

Where is this prologue thing?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

i300 posted:

This is how I felt too. It was ridiculous and happened out of nowhere. I should've seen the clues, but I didn't. Then Reiner waltzes up to Eren and straight out tells him. That was the most shocking reveal, for me. I do agree that the Monkey titan is the biggest and most out-of-nowhere thing we've seen yet.

I remember going back to that page and rereading it a few times "no wait, what???"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Alan Smithee posted:

I probably shouldnt be in this thread at all but as someone who hasn't started, would it better to watch the series or read the manga? Do they differentiate in any significant way? Thing is I don't know Japanese and truth is I've never actually gotten through a whole manga

Is someone going to buy me a terrible spoiler avatar when book 3 is finally turned into a show?

The manga is better at everything but the fighting/3D flying scenes. Specially the Titan vs Titan scenes are loving amazing in the anime, but mostly kinda confusing in the manga.

Apart from that, everything works better on the manga. The anime is specially bad on the dramatic scenes, most of then got very cheezy. Also, when they are flying midair on 3D gear while talking long dialogues or inner monologues or remembering long flashbacks (which happens a lot), that looks so loving absurd in the anime, they standing midair for several minutes, chatting or thinking. Is the same on the manga, only it doesnt looks that absurd.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, the anime last episode sucked. The fight started good, but they messed it up by the end.

The reveal was done in the most silly way and instead having that very important scene where the cleric is questioned, he had a boring trial on a table that added nothing.

Overall, the anime as been very.. irregular. Some episodes were quite good, some were quite bad.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im not sure I got more stupid or the translation in mangareader is just terrible, because half of the dialogues in the last issue dont seems to make any sense to me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kild posted:

I'm pretty sure its a japan -> chinese -> english translation

That explains a lot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hazdoc posted:

Just finished reading the Crunchyroll translation, and yeah, it seems to make a lot more sense than the first ones I saw go up. A few of the sentences seem to make a lot more sense or mean entirely different things now.

Do you have a link for that? Cant find it on the website.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hazdoc posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/attack-on-titan/volumes
Not sure if you need premium to read the latest chapter, I don't think you do.

Looks like you do: it gives me a 404

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hazdoc posted:

I logged out completely and I was still able to read the most recent chapter, so that may just be an issue on your end.

Well, thats really weird then. I tried in FF, chrome and even in an incognito window in chrome: I get a page not found.

If the URL is correct, it might be that they make it availiable only to certain countries.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Anywhere we can get a decent translation besides crunchyroll? It doenst works for my country.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Toadsniff posted:

No it's pretty terrible no matter where you go, it's a bit surprising too since the translation is so bad you'd think someone else would redo it. Also since it's licensed now I don't think we can post any links for you even if there was something better.

Oh well. Is the translation in crunchyroll good enough?

Prehaps some of you fortunate people who have access to it could be nice to give us a summary on everything that was told on this chapter?

All that I gathered was:

- Armin wants Eren to fill wall Maria gap using titan powers like those used to make the wall, but they have to try it first;
- Hanji wants to keep Eren in hidding for a little longer cause she is afraid, since that priest just got murdered;
- the priest was murdered and tortured my members of the military police;
- Levi says they have to act quick, something is decided (I have no idea what);
- Historia is the bastard child of some important lord, and was not loved by her mother;
- her father and a bunch of other people (who are they?) kills Historia mother (why??), than her name is changed and she goes lives somewhere else;

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This christmas my sister surprised me with this:

First issue of Shingeki no Kyojin in brazilian portuguese. It is quite a surprise it got published here, I never though I would see it. Usually only the most widely popular mangas get published here, so I guess it shows how big this series got.

(title is "Attack of the Titans", in portuguese. A much better title than "Attack ON Titan")

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 26, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AradoBalanga posted:

I was impressed at his cognitive skills with the house building experiment.

Made me think: since he cant get hardened, why not just have him pile some big rocks there or something to close the hole in the wall

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RatHat posted:

They'd need 1 big boulder like they used before to plug a wall, but they don't have the time or resources to dig one there or transport one.

Nah, he could as easily use pieces of houses and buildings nearby. Just pile then up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Superstring posted:

Where else has this been brought up? I must have missed this story thread entirely.

Its related to that other theory about how a titan-human have to eat someone to regain control of himself.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ETB posted:

I haven't read through the earlier parts of the thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed. How does Eren end up with the basement key and yet he doesn't care/realize how it got around his neck?

Supposedly his father got back at some point after wall Maria fall. That's when he injected some stuff in him (as seem in his flashbacks) and gave him the key too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Did...that guy accuse Armin of turning him gay?

That's what I got from it too. I think is either mistranslation or a really bad joke.