Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What's a pizza? A giant opened faced sandwich.

What's a burrito? A wrap, which is a sandwich.

What's a steak dinner? A deconstructed sandwich.

What's sushi? A delicious meal perfect for tailgating and wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sushi is a wrap sliced into bite size pieces. It's a finger sandwich.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

Doing/learning physics is fun but astrophysics is more of a "wouldn't it be cool to understand what they're talking about?!" thing rather than the very-not-fun building of simulations and having it match data from the observatories and blah blah blah

Anyway the point is astro is the dorkiest physics and somehow also the most captivating.

computer science is about hentai and illegally downloading copyrighted material and cryptocurrencies

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Chilichimp posted:

pretty sure that quantum physics is the dorkiest, bro.

Nah it owns.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sushi is a wrap sliced into bite size pieces. It's a finger sandwich.

It isn't though, that's maki :nyoron:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No Safe Word posted:

It isn't though, that's maki :nyoron:

i'm not talking about the seaweed wrapped sushi specifically. In the case of the sushi sandwich, the bread is the vinegared rice that's wrapped around the roll.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The posts are coming from within the thread! :romo:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

The posts are coming from within the thread! :romo:

:lol:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

He's at it again!

Same Guy As Before posted:

The SeaHawks are a very beatable team folks. However, the Lions have some glaring holes on the defensive side of the ball. Specifically our corner backs. Lawson, Bademosi, Butler... these guys simply won't cut it. They are not up to the NFL level caliber of play. My previous suggestion went ignored and like I predicted we lost against the Packers and Rodgers lit the secondary up. This time my proposal can not fall on deaf ears. I am going to quickly recommend some free agents at CB the Lions should consider signing before tomorrow game at Seattle. The list is as follows: Marcus Cooper, Jamell Fleming, Leon Hall (not sure if hes still available), Morgan Trent, Dionte Allen (CB for FSU then OSU), CORTLAND FINNEGAN, Ronde Barber, Charles Woodson, Ty Law, and Champ Bailey. Personally, I would sign Woodson,Law, and Bailey and play them all part time Vs. the Seahawks....Along with slay, these 3 men can hold their own in an NFL playoff game with a rotation and limited minutes in play. This is for a playoff win folks. We can't roll out their with Bademosi, Butler and Lawson again. Even Wilson will torch us if we do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

He's at it again!

You can't even legally sign someone to play in a playoff game, can you?

Also Morgan Trent lmao

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
lol okay he's joking. the lines about his suggestions being ignored lmao

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Henchman of Santa posted:

You can't even legally sign someone to play in a playoff game, can you?

Also Morgan Trent lmao

Quite a few teams signed guys for the playoffs (Seahawks signed the corpse of Devin Hester, for example).

Half-surprised he didn't put Darren Sharper on his list un-ironically.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Putting aside the obvious fantasy of Ty Law or Champ Bailey coming out of retirement, how does he expect them to arrive in football shape, learn the scheme in 24 hours, and be even remotely acceptable on the field? You'd probably get the same results from pulling a random fan out of the stands.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Benne posted:

Putting aside the obvious fantasy of Ty Law or Champ Bailey coming out of retirement,

Reminder: Champ Bailey was cut from the Saints secondary.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

Putting aside the obvious fantasy of Ty Law or Champ Bailey coming out of retirement, how does he expect them to arrive in football shape, learn the scheme in 24 hours, and be even remotely acceptable on the field? You'd probably get the same results from pulling a random fan out of the stands.

Charles Woodson is the funniest. Like yeah dude, give him a call, I'm sure he'll drop his ESPN gig in a heartbeat to go play for the loving Lions. He's just been sitting by the phone waiting for the call.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
looooooooooool

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
the bernybra cucks really hosed us over this time fellas

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

some guy from ThePhins.com posted:

Title: I have a theory regarding the injuries

The wide nine defense puts added pressure on the linebackers and safeties. It forces them to come up and fill the voids in the c gaps left by the defensive ends lining up out wide. This means that linebackers and safeties have to regularly take on bigger linemen and tight ends in order to stop the run in those gaps. A responsibility that would normally be covered by bigger defensive ends in a traditional 4-3.

If you look at our major injuries on defense. Misi, Jenkins, Jones, and Abdul Qudus are the four players who went on injured reserve this season on defense. All of them either linebackers or safeties.

We didn't have any major injuries among the other units other than Xavien Howard who was already dealing with knee issues before the season began.

I blame the wide nine scheme for our increased injuries among the linebackers and safeties.

What is it about Wide-9 fronts that get fans that half-know what they're talking about so riled up?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh I'll help

Stop reading finheaven

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Catfish Noodlin posted:

What is it about Wide-9 fronts that get fans that half-know what they're talking about so riled up?

It didn't work for the Eagles that one year so is the devil.

It's an interesting theory at least, that requiring your LB's and safeties to crash into linemen more often on run blitzes might lead to more injuries, but I wouldn't put any stock into it unless someone sat down and made a really convincing argument with visual evidence of linebackers slapping into the chests of 325lb guards over and over again.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Kalli posted:

It's an interesting theory at least, that requiring your LB's and safeties to crash into linemen more often on run blitzes might lead to more injuries, but I wouldn't put any stock into it unless someone sat down and made a really convincing argument with visual evidence of linebackers slapping into the chests of 325lb guards over and over again.

Yeah, but it's no different from in any number of other defenses running aggressive 1-gap fronts. If you're not 2-gapping someone, you've got a defensive back having to have a run fit. It isn't just a Wide-9 front where it's inside of the formation.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh I'll help

Stop reading finheaven

Excuse me, it's the other website.

And I can't give up the stupid Club Level inside information even though it's frequently probably bullshit.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ahahahaha so on a Texas board people were condemning Tom Herman's hire of Casey Horny, a very unfortunately named former Baylor staffer who tweeted a bunch of pro-Art Briles poo poo after everything went down.

Poster A chimes in with a hot take:

quote:

So all of you up in arms about this obviously haven't made mistakes in your professional life, especially when you were younger and more impressionable to the whims of your superiors. How would you like to be blackballed for the rest of your career? This guy got sucked into the us vs. them bunker mindset that set in with the Baylor staff last season. He himself had nothing to do with the despicable covering up of rape by Briles. As a Christian, I believe in forgiveness and that people deserve second chances and an opportunity to learn and grow. Following Herman over the years, he has completely won me over by his excellent judgment. In Herman I trust. The rest of you should follow suit.

A challenger appears!

quote:

Are you implying that it was because you were young and impressionable that you cheated on your wife with multiple dudes while main-lining hardcore drugs and being yanked out of a flophouse to be put into Rehab? That is because you were young and impressionable and the whims of a predatory superior landed you in that position? That's an...interesting take.

Poster A

quote:

Do I win something for you coming out of hiding? Should we discuss the reasons you have gone into hiding. Unlike you, I'm not a bitch rear end oval office and have stuck around here despite occasional attacks like yours and worked through my problems by staying clean. Overcoming my problems with God's help and treatment is something that I am extremely thankful and I am proud of who I am today.

This is my favorite anonymous football argument I have seen in a while.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yeah, but it's no different from in any number of other defenses running aggressive 1-gap fronts. If you're not 2-gapping someone, you've got a defensive back having to have a run fit. It isn't just a Wide-9 front where it's inside of the formation.

Excuse me, it's the other website.

And I can't give up the stupid Club Level inside information even though it's frequently probably bullshit.

Oh that sites owner is a kid toucher FYI

I can't believe it was an Omar Kelly tweet burn but he totally outed the dudes criminal record when he attacked Kelly on twitter lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

v2vian man posted:

hell buddy, reese's cups are sandwiches

My god

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Ahahahaha so on a Texas board people were condemning Tom Herman's hire of Casey Horny, a very unfortunately named former Baylor staffer who tweeted a bunch of pro-Art Briles poo poo after everything went down.

Poster A chimes in with a hot take:

A challenger appears!

Poster A

This is my favorite anonymous football argument I have seen in a while.

lmao that's loving amazing

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

I can attest that, as an Eagles fan, hearing the phrase "wide 9" still makes me twitch.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
A writer for the SF Chronicle said this hiring process for a GM and HC was kind of like a blind squirrel looking for a couple of walnuts. It was clear long before the season was over that Balke was going to go. They gained nothing by keeping him around. What Jed York should have done was to make his decision on Balke at the season half-way point, and sack him then. Then he should have done a deliberate and thorough search for a new GM and gotten him hired before the end of the season.

The *GENERAL MANAGER* should be the one running the football operation and nobody else. He then should then have made the decision on whether or not to keep Pete Kelly, and if to let him go, then conduct his search for the next head coach. This isn't a democracy. One guy, the GM, needs to be the one guiding the organization just as the head coach guides the team. Right now, nobody is sure who is running the show.

Jed York needs to read the US Army manuals on leadership. Being a leader isn't about making brilliant decisions, barking orders and expecting everyone to kiss up. A real leader knows what is needed in the organization, hires the right people and then... are you ready? Let's them do their jobs.

All the leaks to the press are the end result of people laying blame for mistakes and failures instead of trying to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. When people are pointing fingers, everyone is getting in their fox hole trying to avoid the bullets.

As he said earlier, you can't fire the owner, but you can hope the owner will realize that if he keeps doing things the same way he's always done (and the process used in the hiring of John Lynch and Kyle Shannahan certainly is more of the same), then he shouldn't be surprised when he gets the same result.

What's amazing is how many people they interviewed and chewed through, but the *ONLY* qualification Jed York has for being in the job he is, is that he's Mama's boy. If you want to point fingers, don't point them at Jed York. Point the at Mama. She's the one who first put John York in charge and then Jed with no more thought than they're family.

It's a good thing our president doesn't run the country this way.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Does Darren Rovell's twitter count?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/827013671754854400

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
lol pete kelly

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Well. He's right about everything else.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

jazzyhattrick posted:

Hello Amerigoons, I was just perusing the BBC sports page and noticed that England have apparently won the biggest prize in your homosexual version of Rugby. I wasn't even aware we had a team, but I am glad we won nonetheless, even if it wasn't in a men's sport.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
That does not belong in this, the horrible football posts thread.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol can you imagine if NFL players played rugby and went over there? My lord

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

The Patriots have an olympian rugby 7's guy who only plays ST for them.

Imagine Ezekial Elliot playing Rugby

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Don't forget that Jarryd Hayne flamed out of the drat 49ers of all teams, too

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Kalli posted:

The Patriots have an olympian rugby 7's guy who only plays ST for them.

Imagine Ezekial Elliot playing Rugby

As great as rugby players are and as tough at they want to claim they are (and they totally are) Jonah Lomu was a MONSTER by rugbys standards and was incredible when he was healthy. Sadlly it never happened for any extended length. Imagine Rob Gronkowski went to rugby it would essentially be Jonah Lomu.

There are dozens of players in the NFL that could make the switch to rugby with moderate success just because they don't fully understand the strategy. They would just be so big and so much faster than the average rugby player.

Spoeank posted:

Don't forget that Jarryd Hayne flamed out of the drat 49ers of all teams, too

yeah and it's because football is more than "hard hitz" and "being a tough big strong man" like non fans in other countries think. Give them a game of madden and it's unlikely they would even understand that. There aren't even plays in rugby, unlike football. Its stupid to even compare the two sports. Rugby is more akin to soccer/hockey in my opinion.

extendedsolo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 7, 2017

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The biggest issue I see with Football players crossing over to Rugby is getting used to the fact that the game basically never stops.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Dhani Jones played a little rugby after he retired from the NFL. If I recall correctly he didn't have the conditioning to play that much of a game, but when he was on the field the players were saying he was the best tackler they'd ever seen. And he was a pretty bad LB in the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What level of play was he at?

• Locked thread