Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

From caste football:

Never tell this guy about Aroldis Chapman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
The dude probably home-schools his children on the War of Northern Aggression also.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Jason White is rolling his wheelchair to his computer to type up a furious response as we speak.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Not from a forum per se, but I just can't let the recent stupidity of the Oregon fan base go.

A little context: The writer of this article, one of The Oregonian's CFB writers, picked ASU to beat Oregon last Saturday. (The bit of prognostication occurs in every preview.) Didn't happen.

The choice part of the article:

quote:

Minutes later, while heading to my car, I walked past an Oregon assistant coach who shall remain nameless. I said “hello” and as we shook hands he said, “you really picked Arizona State to beat us?”

I smiled and said that I thought that the Sun Devils might pull off the upset. He shook his head. I then asked if it was so out of the question. He indicated that it was, a little surprising given that every coach on that staff has experienced being upset before.

As the conversation continued I soon realized that his disgust with me picking ASU had less to do with football as it did assumed loyalties. He flat out said, “you’re an Oregon beat writer and you picked against Oregon.”

I responded by saying that I’m supposed to be objective and that I didn’t think he and others understood what our jobs require.

He chuckled and said, “oh, I’d love to tell you about that.”

I invited him to but he declined and said, “maybe after I retire.”

I again encouraged him to explain what he had meant but he denied and continued to question how I could cover Oregon and pick against them against a conference opponent at Autzen.

I replied: “I don’t work for Oregon. Oregon doesn’t pay me to cover them.”

I asked him again to elaborate on his perspective. He declined. We parted ways.

The exchange was the perfect ending to a few days of being ripped on through email and twitter by Oregon fans beside themselves that I could have dared pick against the Ducks.

* I’ve been accused of trying to rile up fans and draw attention to myself.
* Told I should write for Food Day.
* Told I need to take a long look at myself.
* Told I know nothing about football.
* A few have took it upon themselves to demonstrate their first-grade math skills by pointing out that my prediction was off by a whole 17 points.

All of this done from the simple perspective of a fan would be fine. But the animosity and disdain has been striking. I realize that most fans of any team understand the bigger picture. Others, not so much.

Sounds reasonable, right? Let's just wade on into the comme- :stare:

quote:

Your right, godux444, Fentress does have a right to pick whomever he wants. But picking against the Ducks, in Autzen, over a team they are favored to beat by 14 pts, a team that nearly lost at home to the Beavers, is not "objective". It's done simply to stir up controversy. Claiming his pick was based solely on his "objective" view of the ducks as a professional newspaper man is gratuitous at best and at worst, just plain dumb!

quote:

spot on ducknsb....Aaron is doing his job....toeing the corporate line at O-live. There is nothing objective in his analysis, he gave his opinion. I really don't see how he can say he's trying to be objective or portray some type of journalistic integrity in his writing. Mr fentress gets it, O-live gets it, the sports beat at O-live gets it....Drum up controversies, insert yourself (the journalist) in the story, get both Duck and Beaver fans riled up with these stories, then laugh as the page hits come in and advertisers throw money at the website because of all the page hits. There is no such thing as objective journalism these days, it's all about sensationalism, being controversial, and becoming the story. This is the new American media, people need to understand it's all about money at the end of the day...there’s no such thing as getting to the bottom of the story, uncovering fact, displaying integrity, writing from a neutral POV.

quote:

Dude, like it or not, you are in Oregon. Like it or not, you should be loyal to your state and the teams that play in it, objectivity is not what the newspaper is about when it comes to sports, never has been never will be and you know that - it is about being LOYAL or your state. I have lived in Boston, DC, Chicago and Houston. Never had I heard of a newpaper beat writer from any of those cities picking against their own local team WHEN the team was a top team like the Ducks are. So puhlease, spare me the excuse of objectivity, BE LOYAL TO YOUR STATE AND TEAMS. If you can't be loyal, then get out of the game of prognostication.

Go Beavs! I predict they will win every game left this year. Why? Because I am loyal and believe in my state and teams! So I have no doubt they will win the rest of their games.

quote:

Not sure I've ever encountered a paper staffed with writers who write about themselves so often. Is having a massive ego part of writing for the boregonian.

Seriously, get over yourself. You picked a 16 point do to beat the number 9 team in the nation at home, arguably the toughest venue in college football. You think you were being objective?

Good thing you're a writer and not a gambler.

quote:

Here is what I feel is the problem with the entire staff that covers the Ducks for this rag. Chip wont let into the practices and wont te;ll you the answers when you ask so yyou ntake every oprotunity to bash the program. You went into the game predicting an upset by a team that in my opinion had only beaten one team that was competitive in USC. The only other team with any credibility was Illinois and they lost that game ....at night..... on the road. Utah is not the same team as they have been in recent history and ASU played them without the starting QB.
Like the Bald Faced Cry Baby you dont want to report anything you want to get you name in the fight so that people are talking about you. Really you get all rear end hurt because TWO people with the team questiuoned your pick after the fact? Come on man!!!!!!!!! Report stuff not fluff

quote:

Aaron, Don't get me wrong, I think that you are the best sportswriter at the "O". I think that what we, as alumni and fans of the Ducks, complain about is that we don't seem to have any news writers that are pro Oregon. Most major FBS teams have a few "homer" writers, but Oregon... not so much. Buker is a sycophant to the OS program and coaches. Goe has about one article in five that is informative, not inflammatory. Lindsay Schnell isn't really biased, she just isn't very experienced or knowledgeable and tends to take the same position as the others. Don't even get me started with the "C" word. It seems as though every time a negative for the University of Oregon program pops up, we have to read four or five recounts/opinions/speculations by four of five different writers at the "O". Rarely do any of these 16-25 articles have any new information, they're just recycled. If something positive happens, we get one "feel good story" and then move on.
I travel all over the country (actually the world) for work, and even my friends/family from the Midwest, Southeast, and Northeast are shocked by the negative journalism slant in our own backyard (ESPECIALLY in the Southeast)! In conclusion, it would be nice to read a couple of positive articles about the program (other than wins). We WANT the news, not rehashed speculation and opinion.

quote:

Aaron Fentress,

Everything about putting this sob story into the world was a bad idea.

YOU posted a prediction against the team you cover day in and day out. You knew you'd see the players and coaches again in a day or two. And you had to know the competitive nature that fuels a Top 10 program would manifest in some resentment surrounding that ASU pick.

How is it you're so short on self-respect that you waste your time and mine with this rambling first-person complaint about guys in the program making you feel bad for the situation YOU created?

Come. On.

YOU put yourself in this position. Not Carson York. Not the Oregon coaches. If you can't handle the backlash, then don't pick the upset. And if you still can't handle the backlash, don't destroy your own credibility with this victim role garbage.

quote:

Aaron, picking Auburn or LSU is a little different than picking an ASU upset against the defending Pac-10 Champs, whose O-line is dominating and hitting their stride, and whose Defense is playing inspired ball in second halves of competitive games. The spread was Oregon by 14. So, yeah, your pick sucked, it was a long shot against the odds.

And honestly, I don't think it was because you are trying to be 'objective and independent', I think it was to create attention for yourself and help your beat writing get publicity from the fans. I mean look at all this attention you're getting. So, good job, it worked this time. But you sold yourself out, because like Canzano and Ken Goe, you now have branded yourself as part of the Oregonian media that is negative towards the Ducks for a plethora of reasons, of which that un-named coach didn't tell you about.

Good job, as a loyal and objective fan of Oregon Athletics, you're another writer that I'll boycott from now on. I don't listen to that weasel on 750am the Game, nor do I read Goe's drivel... Welcome to the ban.

The lack of understanding, reading comprehension, etc. is worthy of a Ph.D.-level study.

And I'm sure this is stating the obvious but I could have gone further down this rabbit hole.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 20, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
I kinda prefer this Caste Football thread better.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Winston recruiting post lacks sufficient casual racism but makes up for it with a Stockholm Syndrome recruiting philosophy.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Ribsauce posted:

on the pro bowl:

Unions again ruining $@%!....... if the players were held as employees of a business they could be required to show up and try or face fines and there could be a wager for the game 50000 grand for each winning player to donate to a charity of choice loser donates 10000 to a charity of choice out of pocket. Players are greedy and should do their job and stop whining and not trying.

I see posts about unions and I always like to imagine what the occupation of the poster is. Something in the private sector, naturally, possibly a business owner.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Oh this is just a GEM...

quote:

Call me whatever you want but why are PUBLICLY FINANCED institutions providing free educations to anyone other than US citizens? If there is a program for even exchanging, then OK. There are plenty of available and talented football playing student citizens who should benefit from scholarships from tax payer funded universities. Private ones can do whatever they want.

From here, of all places.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Montanans don't always get the credit they deserve for being passionate fans, mostly because those passionate fans are subhuman and incorrigible

What kind of person actively ponders the question of whether being raped by a single person or a group of five men is better in any conceivable way

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Actually, Sash, that would be Minnesota.

Montana is more like Kazakhstan. People are genuinely surprised that there's running water, electricity and Internet access there.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Tell me I'm not the only one that laughed at "Your pal, Bobby". Seems like such a :unsmith: way to end such a vitriolic letter.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Horrible Football Posts From Other Football Forums: I call "BULLSCHITTE."

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

smuggler posted:

Here's some ESPN fan comments on the article "NFL: Woman to be replacement ref"

hahahahaha

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

The SituAsian posted:

The type of person who would make such a comment considers anything that isn't Jack Ham concussing black people to be a disgrace to the game.

What a fantastic comment. Bravo

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Menamino posted:

I was trying to find out if it was said how long the Jags starters would play tonight against the Giants and stumbled across this gem. Cashtree from the last page was pretty lame, but at least it showed some creativity.

This, on the other hand -

Not only is this hilarious, but there are actually Jaguars fans that make $100,000 a year?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Chichevache posted:

I just spent 8 hours watching a grown man masturbate into his clothes while telling everyone they're going to hell or heaven depending on his mood. I'm pretty sure he is more cognizant than that fan.

Other than that, how was the Glenn Beck rally?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Sash! posted:

They're not even the most dominant collegiate sport team in the US. Look at PSU's fencing. They've won 12 titles and finished second eight times. There's only been 23 seasons. Bama doesn't even approach that level of dominance.

Or PSU's women's volleyball. Or that school that wins all the swimming all the time.

Trinity squash erases Penn State fencing from the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Kalli posted:

So I read the first line and I'm starting to nod my head going, okay we're gonna get the FO games startd / completion percentage argument about a college player.

Instead, holy poo poo.

That was the best possible outcome and you know it.

• Locked thread