Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Ryan Mallet is the quarterback of the future. Gonna win us three more superbowls after Brady wins two more. gently caress Joe Montana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Morby posted:

Yeah, not saying he's perfect or the best QB ever, but it just seems a bit quick to bench the guy after one fairly decent season.

You just don't understand what Kyle Boller is capable of doing on a football field. Especially while kneeling.

Nov 6, 2002

Matt Cassel looked like a bumbling retard in most of his preseason showings and was worth a 2nd round pick eventually. So ergo Hoyer is worth two 1st's at least.

Nov 6, 2002

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Nov 6, 2002

quote:

Many people will use this as yet another tired excuse to (yawn) rail against the inequities of the NCAA system itself. These people simply miss the point entirely. Spare me. The players know the rules. They know the conditions that they voluntarily agree to work under. They chose this life. If they also chose to violate their agreements, then that is not somehow the NCAAs fault. As draconian as the rules appear, the rules exist because this sort of thing would only be worse if the rules were less strict.
We also do not at this point know the allegations are true. On the one hand, we have the word of a convicted felon who is doing 20 years – essentially for lying. So how do we know he’s not lying now? On the other hand, to be honest, the allegations do not have the ring of bullshit. I wish they did. They don’t.
We also will have a large group of people who will take disproportionate glee in seeing Miami, of all programs, fall. The outrage will be louder, longer, and certainly much more shrill simply because it’s the Hurricanes. Stories need heroes and villains. In college football, Notre Dame and Penn State go out of their way to be the old-fashioned, milk-drinking hero in the white hat. Penn State pulls it off. Notre Dame simply come off as sanctimonious assholes. On the other side of the spectrum, the hero is boring without a great villain, and NOBODY plays a better villain than the University of Miami. We’re everything class-warfare salivates over – a small wealthy, elite private school (and worse, one who is unashamed to promote black athletes) who comes into your house and beats you. You used to hate the Oakland Raiders. You hate Duke Basketball. You hate the Philadelphia Flyers. You hated the Boston Celtics in the 80s and the Miami Heat today. Why? Because they wear the black hat. But it means that when a program like that falters – the fans will take disproportionate glee in its demise. Sports Illustrated will give you comfort while they snipe at us. They’re just mad that some other publication got the scoop, not them. But they’ll take their shots like they always do. You love to hate us and the college football landscape is a more boring place when we’re not on top.

Nov 6, 2002

Like TFF is any better about free agents who leave.

Where's that chart?

Nov 6, 2002

Next Bronco's game take a shot every time someone says Tebow gives the Broncos a *spark*, you'll be dead before half time.

Nov 6, 2002

Can you really blame him?

Nov 6, 2002

In that scenario Ochocinco is Ringo.

Nov 6, 2002

Bernard Pollard = David Chapman

Nov 6, 2002

Jeremy Shockey is a top tier rear end in a top hat and that's about all.

Nov 6, 2002

What's amazing is how the NFL can target these rules to only affect black quarterbacks while Jimmy Clausen is left hopeless.

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Look at this mock draft. Just look at it

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/829515-ye-official-2012-mock-draft-thread-page111.html#post3022301

That's right, EIGHTEEN PICKS and an additional ten UDFA.

And here's the rational for his strategy.

WHY DON'T WE HAVE STARTER DEPTH AT EVERY BACKUP POSITION GUYS????

Nov 6, 2002

ShimSham posted:

There's an old industry secret...

Every LBer gets dominated when offensive linemen who outweigh them by 50-80 lbs constantly get in their face.

I always laugh when I hear people say "Oh that LBer sucks unless he has a D-line that can keep him clean."

In other news, RBs suck when defensive linemen are constantly breaking through the O-line and tackling them behind the LOS.

Barry Sanders.

Nov 6, 2002

That's a great story.

Nov 6, 2002

the ring is the thing

Nov 6, 2002

I'm pretty sure that last post was typed by some dude wearing women's clothes.

Nov 6, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

quote:

Back in the Joe Horn days I made the mistake of spelling Horn, Horne It was my first post didn't know much about a phc then don't know much know. Someone gave me such a hard time I didn't post for years.I come to this site at least 3 times a day.In the mourning at lunch and I only get 30 minutes a day lunch break.My wife has the site pulled up and waiting on me,and at least an hour in the evening.I know of alot of people just from reading there post.Needless to say I love this site.I am a huge Saints fan have been sense the Archie days.I am a Saints fan and only the Saints I hate the Falcons just like every body else.I had a friend at work ask me one time who else I liked ?I told him no one if the Saints an't playing I an't watching.After the Gaints won the Super Bowl in 08 my brother in law was giving me a hard time . He's a Eli fan .He told me " The Ring Is The Thing" I told him That alright Drew's get his this year.When we won I called him up and told him The Rings the Thing.He said yeah,yeah they played a good game.This year he was bragging again and I told him thats how it works The Gaints win one year the Saints the next.Now we need to do it.Come on lets be the first team to win a Super bowl at home ,Black and Gold in the Super Bowl!!!

I don't know why, but I think about this post all the time, especially at work and it never fails to make me chuckle. Something about the mental image of this guy, swearing at traffic, driving as fast as he can to get home, so he can run to his computer where his wife has "the site pulled up", as it takes minutes to load on his AOL dialup.

Nov 6, 2002

Cole posted:

Belichick is dismissive and stuff and people think he's awesome for it.

What Belichick does is performance art.

Nov 6, 2002

Well there you have it. A poll of 768 people conducted a decade ago certainly clarifies the issue.

And here's how the question was asked in the poll:

“The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it bother you?

A very thorough and well conducted survey that obviously represents the opinion of native Americans.

Nov 6, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Back in the good old days Golden Tate wouldn't have been able to celebratestep foot on the field.

Shoulda been a WHITE cornerback covering him, but you know THEY won't let any of those in the league.

Nov 6, 2002

So Mark Sanchez is the best quarterback in the NFL according to that guy. Also people who live vicariously through celebrities' sex lives are really creepy.

Nov 6, 2002

Can't watch the video right now. What does he say about Incognito?

Nov 6, 2002

Hey you know that thing you bought that you made totally awesome that I had nothing to do with? Please give it to me.

Nov 6, 2002

Nov 6, 2002

I dare you.

quote:

Andy Dalton is a Hall of Fame Quarterback at a Bargain

Catchy headline, right? Anyway, since you’re here, let’s talk about the merits of one Andrew Luck and his quest to become the greatest quarterback of all time. Luck has won some games, except of course against the New England Patriots. He has made it to the playoffs in his first three years at the helm, and has even won THREE playoff games. Not bad, right? It isn’t ten in his first three trips, but who could even do that? With all the increased Colt activity since the signing of Sir Reginald Wayne, I figured I would take a quick peak into the legendary Andrew Luck and see if his looming contract on the horizon will indeed be worth the price tag.

I am sure most people know I am a Patriot fan. I am not a Bengal fan, though I live in Cincinnati. I am not a Browns fan, though I grew up near Cleveland. I watch good football, so naturally the Patriots have been my team since the mid-90s, when I started watching football. I also loved Brett Favre. I also respect the hell out of the Indianapolis Colts. Seriously, I do. I can’t stand their ownership and front office, but they have had some good coaches and have fielded some of the best and most upstanding football players I have ever watched. Peyton Manning is a top 15 quarterback of all time. With another ring he would catapult into the top 10. Have I done enough here to show you I am not headhunting?

Like I said, I live in Cincinnati. For those of you who are less geographically inclined, I live much closer to the Colts than I do to the Browns. I follow almost every team with a pulse. While I may be ignorant to the rookie receivers in Jacksonville and Oakland, I can tell you without a doubt I watch more Bengals, Browns, and Colts games than anyone save their fans. Specifically, I can’t understand a few things about each team; namely, why do the Browns even bother drafting in the first round, who (realistically) would the Bengals rather have throwing their footballs, and why the hell does everyone in Indiana think Andrew Luck is a top tier quarterback?

The Browns are, as yet, a lost cause with little chance for redemption: letting the only winning quarterback since their reformation (10-6 Hoyer) go with only Johnny "Done-Nothing-in-the-NFL" Manziel in waiting just shows how incompetent they are at every level. Bengals fans are infuriating because they can’t figure out there is more wrong with their team than Andy Dalton and they hide when the team isn’t doing so well. And Colts fans seem to be once again delusional when it comes to the greatness of their starting quarterback.

Let me start by saying the Andrew Luck is an above average NFL quarterback that nearly any team in the League would want. Okay? There. He is young, tall and strong and has the potential to be great. What he is not is an elite quarterback.

Nothing bothers me more than when the media makes it blatantly obvious who their lovechildren are. Colts fans should love everything about the media, as they seem to love and overhype your players and your team, while demonizing the team that constantly destroys you. Colts fans have had two number one quarterbacks. Those quarterbacks were supposed to be the best ever. It pissed the media off that while they were building these boys up, Tom Brady snuck into the NFL through the sixth round and ruined their fun for a decade and a half (and counting).

Just so I can appease both my Cincinnati and Indianapolis (great city, good zoo) fix, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone. First, let me set the mood. When Colt fans and Patriot fans mix it is usually ugly, but some of the better folks can listen to reason so we can sometimes engage in spirited debate. One such occasion arose, with Patriot fans on average saying that Luck is a good quarterback who still needs to prove himself and Colt fans saying he will lead them to Super Bowls. Ok.

So I said Luck reminds me of Dalton. I watch them play. I DVR both of their teams every week. They are both ‘rivals’ in the sense that they both are competitive in the AFC, and I like watching their football. The Bengals have beaten the Patriots, so I respect Andy Dalton just a little bit more than the pant-pooping scrub who shows up every time I see the Patriots and Colts square off. Andrew Luck might be good against average teams, but Dalton plays in the AFC North with the Steelers and the Ravens and a consistent defense in Cleveland. Luck gets to play the Titans (laff), Jaguars (double laff), and Texans (still love those varsity jackets, boys).

Don’t take my clearly prejudiced opinion on the comparison. Let’s take a look at the stats:

So, unless Excel is a lying Patriot fan too, I don’t see enough of a difference here to say definitively that one quarterback is better than the other. If you take out Dalton’s fourth year (with all of his receiving options injured, literally), you will remove his worst, but most accurate, season. On average, he is still more accurate than Luck, throws a comparable amount of touchdowns to his healthy team with a higher touchdown percentage, throws more interceptions by two per year, and is pretty darned close to the YPA that the superstar Luck sports.

Don’t bother littering the comment section with hatred. I don’t want this to be a debate with the pairing. I am showing these stats for one reason and one reason only: Andy Dalton signed a 6-year $96 million contract with the Bengals that pays $16 million per year and guarantees $17 million. Andrew Luck is expected to sign the largest contract in history. If he gets more per year than Rodgers, and more guaranteed than Wilson, he could very well have a contract that looks like this: 6-year $150 million that averages $25 million per year with $80 million guaranteed.

Luck could win the next two Super Bowls so long as the Patriots aren’t in the way, but he is on his way to becoming a known commodity with three years under his belt. What Colt fan is comfortable paying him that money when Dalton is on the hook for $17 million and can be gone if he doesn’t perform by next year? It’s close, so why aren’t the contracts? You can debate team make-up and blah blah blah; I see statistics and contracts. One team is getting a ‘bargain’.

Nov 6, 2002

I wonder where he ranks Dan Marino.

-7?

Nov 6, 2002

At least in this sub, and most informed NFL fans agree that what the NFL is doing to the Patriots is nothing short of a witch hunt.
At what point, does the Gov't get involved?
You might ask, why would the Gov't get involved? Well because there is a relatively strong gambling market for the NFL. This market operates on the assumption that the league is on the up-and-up.
Clearly, the playing field is being tampered with by the NFL artificially. They have attempted to suspend a player, have docked multiple draft picks, have committed borderline libel, and continue to thrust the notion that the Patriots are cheaters without an ounce of evidence.
This is starting to look similar to the black sox scandal, in the sense that the establishment that you are trusting to oversee the game and maintain its integrity is severely hampered.
When does te NFLs actions w.r.t labor laws, libel, and artificial adjustment of the competitive environment raise enough questions for a govt inquiry?
The nail in the coffin would be concrete evidence that the NFL front office is actively trying to modify the competitive balance of the league outside of league rules. Ie: the front office is full of ex Jets employees and they hate the Pats.
A realization such as that, would in my opinion lead to nothing less than a complete dismantling of the NFL similar to the way that the MLB was effected.

Nov 6, 2002

As per usual a woman is responsible for the fall of man and incurring God's wrath.

Nov 6, 2002

quote:

A lot of the media is on Gronk's side on this one [bogus OPI calls]. Which is a rarity considering he's a Patriot and the media (especially ESPN) likes to eviscerate the Pats any chance they get. This, along with Felger and Mazz taking his side, really shows how strong his case is in my mind.

:downs:

Nov 6, 2002

Nov 6, 2002

wow

Nov 6, 2002

Thermos H Christ posted:

Amazing. Poe's Law is in full effect here.

You can repent if you rape someone. But there's no contrition for missing out on bowl games!

Nov 6, 2002

The depth of human callousness is just amazing.

http://jezebel.com/father-of-stanford-rapist-argues-his-son-should-not-be-1780656927

Nov 6, 2002

A Stanford law professor is launching a recall effor for the judge who gave Brock the 6 month sentence.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/06/stanford-sexual-assault-judge-recall

quote:

Further scrutiny on the judge’s remarks at sentencing appear to suggest he concluded the defendant had “less moral culpability” because he was drunk, and that a light sentence would be an “antidote” to the anxiety he had suffered from intense media attention on the case.

Michele Landis Dauber, a Stanford law professor who has been outspoken about sexual assault policies on campus, said she is launching the recall campaign against Aaron Persky, Santa Clara County superior court judge.

Persky, a Stanford alumnus, was captain of the lacrosse team when he was an undergraduate.

“He has made women at Stanford and across California less safe,” said Dauber, who attended the sentencing hearing and is also a family friend of the 23-year-old victim. “The judge bent over backwards in order to make an exception … and the message to women and students is ‘you’re on your own,’ and the message to potential perpetrators is, ‘I’ve got your back.’”

Nov 6, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dunno Russia never had an academic declaring their language as perfect because of the word they use for rain

lol what's this about?

Nov 6, 2002

whypick1 posted:

If that's the criteria then that means Ferengi came straight from God.

Do you see how these humans makes their females wear clothes?!!

Nov 6, 2002

So here's a crazy question and idea...
Can a coach be traded? Lets say We win the next two games with Jacoby at QB and they are outstanding wins that show our OC as being outstanding as well. I'm not sure when we would have to trade Jimmy before we would loose the chance but lets say we put it out there that we would trade both Jimmy and Josh to a non-AFC East team.. Is this something that would be even doable?
Like I said, crazy question.. But after doing some reading on past interviews Josh had about wanting to try Head Coaching again I though hmm...

Nov 6, 2002

Everytime I see there's a new post in this thread I know it's like a 1 in 3 chance it's from a Pats forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

HEY NEIL! maybe we would have CURED CANCER if scientist didn't spend all their time TWEETING!!!!!1

• Locked thread