Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

tk posted:

In this post, we demonstrate a poor understanding of both the world and statistics.
My god, realistically there's a 2-3% chance of any current NFL head coach going there, meaning it's practically 100%!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Where is that quote from? It's not in the article or the comments.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ozu posted:

Yes it is. I can't link directly to the comment.

Robert Chandler says:
Aug 13, 2011 6:21 PM

Oh, I guess the page hadn't fully loaded when I searched for some of it :sweatdrop:

But in return.. you can link directly to the comment if you know of secret ancient URL tricks:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/13/female-officials-coming-soon-to-the-nfl/#comment-1195171

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The topic of comments on ESPN/Yahoo articles came up today and my god the ones from today's ESPN power rankings are amazing:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations/_/id/7057821/week-5

quote:

@houston Actually Karrem Jackson has 11 tackes, Nnamdi only has 8...Nnamdi sucks butt hole

quote:

lol look at the falcunts all the way to number 19, come sunday the georgia dome will become mister rodgers neighborhood.

quote:

OMG HOW IN THE WORLD ARE THE 49ERS 15TH.....FUC*K ESPN

quote:

JETTSS rape ur sh_t

ya''ll dont know sh_t, JETS r gonna win the superbowl with ease, power rankings dont mean nothiinnn

and my personal favorite

quote:

Cooper Manning > Eli Manning

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Black Lighter posted:

Sweetwaters?

I assume he means these guys, who if their 420 pale ale is any indication, make rather mediocre brews.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Breaky posted:

I know nothing of Hasselbeck but I get the impression he would be funny as poo poo.

Quite possibly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4L9mNNMDrs

(Matt is at the end, around 1:08)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Lol indeed every stat is worse except interceptions (tiny sample size) which then throw off the QBR

TD/G and WINS are better too

but pointless

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

haljordan posted:

Never change, ESPN commentators.

what in the gently caress

was this said on air or is there a link?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Oh that's a very confusing usage of the word "commentator" then.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah I also got this thread and the horrible sports journalism thread mixed up so it was even more confusing :downs:

Here's another ESPN comment on an article about whether or not Jimmy Rollins is in defensive decline:

quote:

Okay, I realize that I don't get the whole sabermetrics thing. I admit it. But how can anyone who watched Jimmy Rollins play say he isn't one of the best defensive shortstops in the game?

I'm sorry, but I'll believe my eyes before I believe some statistic.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

When even patsfans isn't biting, you know it's a terrible idea

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

His name isn't Gradkowski or am I being whooshed

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Rap posted:

*unzips pants* its a gray area.
:stare:

castefootball posted:

quotaback

:stonk:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ozu posted:

People from Texas always have to hate their QBs at all times.

* - pro QBs only

I don't hate Schaub but I'm not particularly impressed with him. I wouldn't mind us taking a good QB if one were available with the right value, but not unless we'd drafted our actual needs first. QB is not a position of need right now for the Texans, but it's not a position of great strength either.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

From an ESPN story about how Roddy White thinks Goodell is overpaid, I loaded up the comments (yes I'm a masochist) and it live-updated this comment in front of me and within a minute it looked like this:

quote:

Loren32

If Goodell were black, Roddy would be patting him on the back!

5 fans like this.

1 Minute Ago · Like · Reply · Flag

:what:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

From an ESPN live chat session:

quote:

MICHAEL (NYC)

Two football factories USC & Florida, yet questionably Rex Grossman has been the most successful pro quarterback! Now the Jets have one from each school. Insanity is said to be doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Has anybody not yet learned? How do you explain this?

:psyduck:

Rex Grossman apparently has been more successful than Carson Palmer. (and that just scratches the surface of what's wrong with this comment)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I know I know this isn't for dredging up old stupid posts but I got in my time machine and looked at a comment from just before the 2009 draft on an old Texans blog where they were doing a mock draft via community votes:

quote:

can someone tell me why everyone wants detroit to take stafford, when every scout has sanchez ranked as a better qb due to his accuracy, his quick read ability and overall talent?

by ThirteenFox on Apr 2, 2009 10:34 AM CDT

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 22, 2012

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Nevermind the idiocy about Romo, that's old hat. Who on earth doesn't think Cam is top 10?

Rodgers, Manning x2, Romo, Brees, Brady, Cutler, Stafford, maybe Schaub or Ryan?

Cam is easily better than Schaub unless he regresses crazy hard

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Matt Schaub is crazy good.

Good but not as multifaceted as Cam. Has subpar arm strength and is not a running threat at all. Can scramble okay and is fairly accurate and makes good decisions. Not an exceptional game manager.

I am still very thankful for having Schaub but he's not an elite talent, just Good NFL starter talent.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

We should start running these through one of those online reading level evaluators. It will either be hilarious or depressing.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Wolfy posted:

Isn't Kevin Walter like...good?

Also, sorry about your sports talk radio. At least here in LA it's just delusional people think Dwight Howard is taking to the Lakers all the way or the Dodgers are winning it by trading for Adrian Gonzalez.

Houston sports radio is so weird because there are literally 4 full-time sports radio stations in town (ESPN Radio affiliate on FM, Yahoo Sports Radio affiliate on AM, CBS affiliate on AM, and Fox Sports Radio affiliate on AM) and none of them are the clear leaders in both quality and quantity so you have to listen to a mish-mash of them. The good news is, there are 4 in town and you can mix and match as you want. And they're also very largely local content during the important times (drive times).

Unsurprisingly I tend to listen to the shows that either have fewer callers or whose hosts don't suffer bad callers. Charlie Palillo does a good job of just straight up ignoring bad callers without really insulting them outright.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cowboys fans are so cute sometimes :allears:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

KettleWL posted:

Unlike my team, the bastion of white pride that are the.... oh wait*

*Oh wait does not apply if you're a fan of the New England Patriots or the Houston Texans.

Hey just because we have a higher than average proportion of white players who are actually good doesn't mean the Texans are super white :colbert:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Morby posted:

Why does that blog analyzing TFF exist?

It's titled "Anthony's Class Blog" and one of the commenters on the Toxx post "peer reviewed" it and has a similar class blog and they all follow each other's "cyberculture" blogs - http://www.blogger.com/profile/13338719092522162397

Doesn't take an internet detective

e: Also The Collector found it and registered an account after the fact NOT TO CALL ANYONE OUT

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 3, 2012

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jerome Agricola posted:

The initial post was so awful that Sash! probably lost consciousness for a while. It's a fairly typical response in that situation.

Definite concussion, I can see the fencing response

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I've never been rooting harder for Mark Sanchez than I am now after seeing the vitriol and stupidity it inspires

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

I've never heard the term anchor baby and now I'm going to use it to insult people all the time. JOHN MARA IS A FUCKIN ANCHOR BABY.

You should watch The League

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I'm still convinced I could take Trindon Holliday in a fight.

Trindon Holliday has one thing going for him above everyone else in a Fight or Flight situation: he can Flight better than you

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The best part is Jared Allen has to wear 70 because Knoxville is wearing 69

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arschlochkind posted:

So Brian Cushing was re-signed for a 6 year deal, and part of what made it happen was some fine front office work by Rick Smith thanks in part to Andre Johnson being such a cool dude. Let's see what the fans think...

I tell you what man once Cash Kennum is starting instead of Mitch Shaub we'll win the Supper Bowl and bring the Limburger Trophy home to Hughston! Go Sextants!

Some recent transplant called into a local radio show and kept referring to Schaub as "Schwab" and the local guys (Lance and Adam) ran with it and kept repeating it back to him so much but he never picked up on it. It's sad how people can't spell "Schaub" or pronounce it. It's really not difficult.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I didn't know where else to put it but: I finally understand sports fandom thanks to League of Legends.

It's as exciting as it sounds.

Okay? :confused:

Watching some esports stuff is pretty cool, and it's not that dissimilar for some people to being a fan of professional sports teams.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arschlochkind posted:

I mean I enjoy my share of really dorky poo poo but that whole article made me want to virtually bust in there and yell "NERRRRRRDDSSS!!!" before I dump some dweebs virtual e-books.

I don't know I can just relate to both sides of it really.

In terms of actual sports, I used to not really enjoy sports as a spectator because I had no vested interest and as a casual observer it just looked like raw athleticism pitted against raw athleticism with little in the way of strategy/execution/planning. Once I started learning the intricacies of the game and how things like statistical analysis and extensive study were not only common but absolutely necessary for success, it made the game much more fun to watch because it wasn't just winning the genetic lottery that determined victory.

On the esports side, I like watching some esports stuff because I play the same games and recognize the skill and practice that goes into becoming so good at those games :v: I don't jump up and down and cheer out loud for them or anything, but I don't do that for actual sports either.

(countdown until this post is pasted into some other forums' "horrible posts from other forums"...)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

#trader is the best thing

My favorite grocery store is "guy named Joe who betrays people"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bamf posted:

what do all those dudes have in common

This is amazing.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

rebel1608 posted:

This is one has a 6th Sense style twist at the end

"okay yeah he's reasonably outraged...drat, he's like really outraged but hey college sports fans right?..."

"..."

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sushi is a wrap sliced into bite size pieces. It's a finger sandwich.

It isn't though, that's maki :nyoron:

• Locked thread