Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Wait, woh, the post 9/11 pays $1300 a month now for online? (By now I mean August) Oh gently caress YES, when did that happen? That really expands my options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
drat it so now I will be taking in school classes at my community instead of just their online program.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

You could just take one class there and the rest online. Get a once a week class.

Oh yeah that's what I meant.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
So how do I change what bank account the VA gives me money in?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

Gotta call. I don't know why you can't do it online other than because.

1-888-442-4551.

drat it. Thank you.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

According to one of my NCOERs I once coached a youth basketball team.

I got a COA for having a season ERA under 2 on a battalion baseball team.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

SumYungGui posted:

So I'm a few weeks into my first semester and I want to ask, does this get harder or are people dumb? Don't get me wrong, math blows I hate the class and need to study up on it as well as doing extra exercises to keep my head above water but looking at the syllabus if I showed up to all classes and did the homework on time I would pass. It would not be a very good grade but it would be a passing grade. A lot of my classes are the same way, so I find myself somewhat shocked when people say they're failing out. Are these higher level classes that start actually busting balls or retarded people who couldn't manage time to save their lives?
In your freshmen year you'll see about a third of your class fail or drop out. Mostly the people who go to school just because they don't know what else to do. A lot of kids don't realize the consequences are much more severe in college.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
For the first time I'll have to use the yellow ribbon program since my school is $16,785 a semester and the GI Bill pays $18,000 a year in NJ. Do I have to do anything different or does my adviser handle all the paperwork? Do I still burn benefit months and collect BAH and book stipend all the same?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

As mentioned, you shouldn't listen to him anymore, because he clearly has no grounding in reality.

Depends on the school, some schools have less spots than attendees so they do a sort of academic thunderdome. Other schools have 9999 spots and it's just another box to tick off. You can't be on YR without collecting, it's just a topoff added to the school payment to reduce or eliminate your out of pocket expenses.

I checked the VA's website my school has unlimited spots.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Is there any situation where Montgomery is preferred over post 9/11?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Yo what the gently caress is wrong with the VA? My book stipend and BAH for January was late. Why? Well I got a letter saying "Funds were withheld for purpose of paying off a debt you owe the VA. $714.56 was applied to your debt of $0.00, your current balance is now -$714.56." Today I got a deposit of $714.56. What the hell?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Do they do the same thing with government loans? I could use a lot of extra money.

Probably but this sounds like a bad idea.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

Student loan interest rates aren't that great.

Seriously. My sister is going to pay nearly $80k on a $30k loan if she sticks to the slow payment pace. Also student loans basically never go away, even with bankruptcy.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Yeah both schools I went to let me take basically whatever classes I wanted to. What's up with some certifying people being dicks? The one at my current school is the nicest man I've ever met.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

shyduck posted:

My top three schools (Temple, Drexel, Rider) all offer unlimited everything, so as far as that I'm covered. That was one of the first things I made sure to look for.

I'm a student at Rider if you want to know anything about the school.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Name: HATE CURES TRANNYS
School: Rider University
Major: Computer Information Systems.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I can't imagine doing undergrad twice anyway. Especially knowing I could be in grad school.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Hey does anyone else always get paid on the 1st instead of the last of the month?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
:stonk: Have you not been paid in like ten months? Don't touch it, obviously, and call the education number. Mash buttons until you get a human and explain.

I got $100,000 once as a private instead of $1,000. They took forever to take it back.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

DoktorLoken posted:

Heh. Did you save the LES for that one?

I printed off ATM receipts and impressed girls. Worked.

More than a few people said "DUDE! They gave it to you, it's the law it's yours! Habeus corpus and stuff dude! Buy me a charger!"
That's a word for word quote.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nice, Neil.

I just filled out my form for the 911. I did pay in 1200 into the MGI bill when I joined. What happens with all of that business?

You get it back when you use up all your benefits.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I'd god drat riot.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Earlier there was some talk of a full year of study being problematic to benefits. Is this to insinuate that summer classes can be a negative thing?

If you don't maintain full time status you burn benefit months without using them as efficiently as possible.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Will I not get BAH for my week of spring break? Or is that up to my advisor?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

KetTarma posted:

If you have one day remaining at the start of the semester, the entire semester is covered in a manner identical to if you had a full semester of benefits left. They won't cut off your tuition just because you run out midway through a semester. In this way, you can eek out one more semester of benefits if you time things correctly to have a few days remaining at the start of your last semester. I'm planning on taking three summer semesters because I will have 10 days left before starting my final semester of undergrad.

(I'm not worried about grad school since my employer should be paying for that if they expect me to go.)

(engineering rox ur sox)

I did not know this. gently caress it, I'm doing a year of grad school when I finish under.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
That seems to be good advice in a lot of situations. My old job as a network administrator I got with a year of college over a guy with a masters. In IT espefially it's all about certifications and experience.

I'm sure there are a lot of exceptions but very few jobs require a Masters for entry and lower level positions.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
There's a big difference between literally being paid to get a degree, and going $35,000+ in debt for one. In one scenario you can afford to work lovely low level jobs or unpaid internships to gain experience. In the other you can't.

People get lucky all the time to.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if no high school unemployment is kind of low. lovely retail, janitorial, etc etc jobs have tremendous turnover. My buddy used to work at a target and they were hiring workers every week. So many people quit and get fired and a lot of jobs like that don't care if you're a drop out, just if you have a conviction for theft.

Of course these are the kind of jobs where you're really smug and proud about making $9 an hour instead of $7.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I got my BAH today, which is weird. Usually I'd get it on Friday if payday fell on a weekend.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Google Ebenefits. I think it's a dot gov. Make an account there and you can see benefit time, recent payments, etc.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
It's down almost as much as AKO so it's easy to forget about. Plus it's very unlike the government to have useful info organized in one place.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Beria posted:

My friend is being kicked out of the Navy for pissing hot.

I had heard he would be able to upgrade his discharge at some point post separation, in order to get his GI Bill?

Is this possible and how would he do it?

It IS, exactly how I'm not sure. Unfortunately it is extremely unlikely for him, especially if he pisses hot. It will all depend on the type of discharge he receives. If he gets an honorable discharge then he is entitled for the GI Bill, the amount depending on his length of service. 3 or more years he gets it all.

Anything besides and honorable and absolutely no GI bill. Upgrading his discharge is extremely hard.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

SumYungGui posted:

What kind of health insurance is available while on the GI bill? I don't think I can swing the price of Aflac insurance or something on my BAH living allowance. Tricare says they won't cover me past the six month separation extension. The veteran's rep at my school really didn't know and it's something that concerns me a lot. If I broke a leg or got in a car accident right now I'd be seven shades of hosed with pretty much no way to cover myself that I can see.

Did you deploy? If so you have 5 years of coverage from the VA.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
If you have health insurance from your school keep in mind it isn't Tricare. A lot of school policies are really lovely.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
So I just came from my schools financial aid office. They wanted me to fill out a verification checklist, and give them my DD214, tax return and W2s from 2011. Is this normal? Rutgers just took my FAFSA and didn't say anything else.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I just got home and checked everything. They OKed everything so I'm getting my grant. Hooray!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

front wing flexing posted:

Under GI Bill, do you get compensated or get fees waived? I know the application fee probably not but I got accepted to my school and they want an extra 200 bucks to enroll.

Is that like a deposit to hold your spot? The VA didn't directly pay for that for me but they subtracted it from tuition. The VA payed the full initial cost so I get the $200 back from my school with my Pell grant since I have technically over paid.

As for other fees my school had about $500 in fees for technology, student services etc etc. These are all mandatory so the VA covered them. If I didn't have health insurance they would also cover the mandatory $200 fee for that.

The VA will cover MANDATORY fees, not optional or recommended. For example, my school charges $300 to register a car. The VA will not cover this. Also I didn't pay it I just park in visitors parking because gently caress that.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Maybe, but if the VA sends payment after the school applies your deposit to tuition then they'll pay tuition minus deposit. So you save the VA $200, that's nice of you.

I could be missing something but this happened to both schools I was enrolled in. The getting it back part.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 11, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Yeah I don't know why fees aren't included in tuition. Well I know why, it's to milk more money out of you. But it has to be annoying for people paying their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

holocaust bloopers posted:

So in the extremely likely case that I place into remedial math, the GI Bill will cover such a course irrespective of the fact that I should be, as a grown man, test beyond Math 101?

I'm in remedial math and I didn't hear anything.

• Locked thread