Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Yeah, it wasn't exactly at bedtime, but it was in the lat afternoon. The henhoes were in the run and this small hawk landed outside and began walking liker "don't mind me I'm just a bid walking here!" I also had a small hawk kill a pigeon in the run, and all my chickens were hiding in the garage while it was trying to eat it. I had to go outside, take the carcass, and shoo the bird away. Most of my hens have been strays before so they are pretty good at surviving, and my new rooster, Taco, is actually a pretty nice rooster :3. Still, it's possible hat birds of prey can get inside coops -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I haven't posted much lately here because I've been busy with work, :(. Taco has been such a good rooboy I'm glad my BiL took him. With this drought there is almost no green grass left in our backyard, so I've been giving the chickens leftover food, bread, and juicy fruit to keep them well fed. We don't have nearly as many bugs under the yard bricks as last year, so as soon as this heatwave goes down I'm ordering giant mealworms from rainbow mealworms :3.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

erm, eggs can't be abortions unless you squeezed the hen to pop them out before they were ready. also, if God said it was ok to kill sheep and use their blood to paint the doorframes of his people in Egypt while he killed all the firstborns of the Egyptians, it should be ok to eat eggs :ohdear:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

where did you get that feeder that is hanging on that wall? I like it!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Noooo Weedcat :( ! This stupid drought and heatwaves are just ruining everything, I'm so sorry VS :sympathy:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

VS, your Chickam and subsequent chicks opened me up to the world of Roosters and Hens. Weedcat and Roostroyer were the first roosters that I ever saw that were nice fellows.

They were just big cuddly babies, I still miss Roo and his bokbokbok :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Lynza posted:

I'm wondering, though... the baby doesn't take anything from me unless Mama gets it from me and 'bok boks' at him to take it. Should I separate them at some point? I feel like that would be pretty lovely, honestly, since I have no other chicks for him to hang out with.

Well duh, baby knows not to take candy from strangers unless mom says it's ok :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I haven't posted in a while here because nothing much has really happened with my chickens xD. I've been working full time now for about two years, and I don't get to see my chickens much on weekdays, specially in the winder is it's already dark when I get home. All my chickens are doing well though, just getting to the 5 year mark now :3.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

yup Chido having chickens is what got me to believe that even I could manage it.

Awww you guys :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Things chickens are useful for: termite control. We've got termites in the house and they decided to come out through the kitchen door frame (they are the flying ones that make new nests). Cue to a lot of dumb bugs on the kitchen floor... cue to my brother-in-law leaving the kitchen door open for the chickens to come inside and eat them. Within 5 minutes Megatron and Waffle ate them all :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

hey santa baby posted:

This warms my heart. How old is Megatron now? Actually, I was just thinking the other day how old was Roostroyer when he passed?

Megatron, godzilla, and rusty are about 5 years old now. Turkey and dust were already adults when we got them that same year, so they may be 6-7 years old. Waffle is gonna be 3, and I have no ideal how old our current rooster is, he's 2-3 maybe. Roostroyer was 2 years old when he passed :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

So it's that time of the year where I need to deworm the flock... though I have a couple of questions. We recently took in a stray dog that the vet determined has parasites. The medication they gave us is called Albon and apparently it's for coccidia. Should I treat my chickens for coccidia too just in case, or just the regular ivermectin is ok? I say this because I've caught the chickens eating the other dog's poop now and then :barf:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

After 5 years of having chickens, I'm gonna give them away. I don't really clean the yard of chicken poop and my brother-in-law does that instead, but with two dogs, having to rotate who has access to the yard gets tiring. I also work until 5pm and get home until 6, don't really have time to look after them. I'm also tired of having to deal with three mutt hens fighting until their faces are so swollen when they are broody and they all want the exact same nest (not to mention them biting my hands hardcore when I separate them). I also want to move out of my sister's house in 2 years or sooner, and I won't be able to find a place I can afford on my own that would allow me to bring chickens.

So two hens and the rooster will probably go to the feed store. A lot of people in my neighborhood keep chickens, so i'm not worried about them not finding a place soon. The other 4 hens (godzilla, megatron, turkey and waffle) are very people friendly, so I might be able to find somebody who'd want them as pets. I hope I can find somebody who wants 5 year old chickens -_-

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

samizdat posted:

My chickens have had raspy voices but their breathing, etc. is fine. It's been going on since about 5 or 6 weeks (they're almost 8 weeks) and I thought perhaps their brooder was holding in dust. They've been outdoors with fresh air for a week and no change in raspiness. There's nothing wrong with their poop and they have no other symptoms. I'm torn between wanting to treat them (because I have no other symptoms to point to in order to figure out what they need to be treated with) or just ignore it/assume I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm worried about nothing. Are their voices just changing?

We are having a ridiculous heatwave and my chickens are having frozen water treats with corn, kale, and watermelon. Their coop/run is under a mature sycamore tree and that helps a lot with the sun.

Can you record them so we can hear their voices? Normany chicks's vocie breaks after 10 weeks or so. Also, I don't know how easy it'd be to actually hear their chests when they breathe, but when my chickens (adult chickens) have had issues, I can hear a bit of gurgling coming from their chests when they breather, but I have to pretty much put my ear against their chests. If you don't see any symptoms appearing, no changes in behavior, like listless chicks, or a decrease in appetite or activity, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on them for any subtle changes, as you most likely have learned by now that birds tend to hide ilnesses until they are about to drop dead, drat stupid birds :downs:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I do not have chickens, but some folks across the street do. Every morning for the last five days, said chickens have escaped, crossed the street, shat all over the sidewalk, and riled up all the neighborhood dogs, mine included. This is a FANTASTIC way to wake up before seven in the morning when I'm already having trouble sleeping due to being super pregnant.

Multiple people have talked to the chicken owners about this issue, including someone who literally saw the chickens escape and told them where in the fence they escaped through. The only attempt they seemed to make was to stand some cardboard over that place three days ago, and that has apparently not accomplished anything.

Am I a horrible bitch if I call animal control about this? Because I am getting really sick of this situation, and I'm not sure what else to do about it.

Talk to the neighbors once, if nothing changes in a few days, then call animal control. Sorry, as much as i like chickens, letting them annoy the neighbors is not ok. Besides, not preventing the chickens from escaping doesn't protect them any more than calling animal control, and the odds are the neighbors will get warnings first to fix the problem before taking the chickens away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Oh god, this thread still exists. I haven't posted here in years and thought this megathread would be closed by now. For the oldtimers that are still around and remember the henhoes, two of the original ones are still alive - Rusty and Dust - and are pushing 11-12 years old. What a trip down memory lane this thread is.