Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

WASDF posted:

Though I'm not sure what tracking force is and how he would change it. And his first copy of Sung Tongs skipped in only one place consistently but this one skips at that spot and then many times after it.

The AT-LP 60 doesn't have a counterweight, so the tracking force can't really be changed. His best bet, if he can find access to one, would be to try the record on another turntable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Tigren posted:

Any current Insound coupons out right now?

https://twitter.com/Insound/status/350325329543430145

quote:

TWITTER SALE! Just for our followers - save 10% on your order with coupon code: hashtag10 (good through 6/28)

That's a current coupon code thats good through Friday.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

What, seriously? Are you the guy who snagged Electric Version before I could finish checking out?

That may have been me. Sorry!

Their checkout page gave me an error when I chose to finalize my order, so I had to go through the process all over again. I hope they didn't double charge me.

The site seemed kind of sketchy in general, though. Random pages, such as the one about free shipping information, would link to pages about albums I didn't even click on instead. At least it's good to know that other people here have previously made purchases from the site without incident.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Has anyone's oldies.com order shipped yet? I placed my order on the 13th and it's still "processing" for me. My account's already been charged too.

I just received a shipping notification for an order that I placed on the 12th. They also seem to have upgraded the shipping to FedEx Smart Post, which was a nice surprise.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I Might Be Adam posted:

So the new St. Vincent album is up for pre-order. The limited LP and 12" seems like something I'd want but it's like $32. Then I looked at the shipping... $15 for Priority Mail. :negative: Sorry, but I'm not dropping $50 for this. I'll wait until Amazon has a listing for it and just buy vanilla LP.

Anyone know why Topspin charges so much for shipping?

Here's the link if anyone's interested.
http://ilovestvincent.com/preorder/
I pre-ordered the album earlier this morning because I hate money.

In that same period of money-hating, I also ended up buying the special red and green pressing of Sufjan Stevens - Illinois from Newbury Comics:

I seriously didn't need to buy that album for a third time. I may have a problem.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Here's a heads up for those of you into color vinyl variants. All of the Newbury Comics exclusive pressings are available for online ordering again. Their website was previously sold out of Bon Iver - For Emma, Volcano Choir - Repave, and Talking Heads - Fear of Music. They're kind of pricey, but I figured there may be people that are interested in them:

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&deptnr=754

I just received their copy of Sufjan Stevens - Illinois in the mail today and it is beautiful.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 14, 2013

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

resident posted:

What is up with Barnes and Noble offering obviously OOP records like 808s and Heartbreak on their website with a 'usually available within 1-2 weeks' disclaimer in the cart? Anybody here ever tried ordering? Do they just hold your money for 2 weeks and tell you sorry?

There's a repressing that was originally announced for release on February 4th. About a month ago, the release date got pushed back to March 18th, so Barnes and Noble probably hasn't updated that page since the initial announcement.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Chim posted:

Just found my new spot for vinyl. This one is big.

My first order from sears.com came in with some super mild dings but otherwise flawlessly.

Oh wow, thanks a bunch. I don't know why there are three different listings for Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island but I absolutely ordered the one priced at $6.49.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Snowy posted:

Speaking of local-ish stores, I finally checked out the new Rough Trade in Brooklyn, and it's pretty amazing. It's got all the high prices you would expect, in a huge industrial space with rooms made out of shipping containers. There's an effects pedal area where you can play a synth or a guitar through all sorts of boutique pedals. There's catwalks, a gallery, and a performance space. Boycott multinational independent record stores!

Rough Trade's Brooklyn store has had one big issue since opening - most of their scheduled live performances have either been cancelled or moved to other venues in the area. Despite the prices, the place has stocked some decent "exclusive" releases like the Sky Ferreira LP on green vinyl before it went up on her web store and both of the xx singles box sets. They've had some cool in-store signings recently, too. St. Vincent was really sweet and chatted for a few minutes with everyone who showed up to get her new album signed the other day.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Last record store day I went to a store (J&R) that took your list and gathered everything for you which was really cool, but that place has since shut down. This year I tried out the new Rough Trade shop in Brooklyn, since they listed everything they'd have in stock ahead of time. They only let in around 40 people at a time, but everything was in crates and people were climbing over each other just to get to them.

I wish more stores would go one-by-one filling out requests. At least I got what I wanted most - Camera Obscura, Chvrches, the Space Project, Scott Pilgrim, and LCD Soundsystem.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

screenwritersblues posted:

Apparently, there's going to be an Amoeba annex in the the new Urban Outfitters that's going to open in Herald Square. I assume that they're either just testing the waters to see if they can break into the market like Rough Trade or are just working with Urban. Either way, it's going to be interesting to see how it's going to work.

http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/blog/uo_first_look_herald_square

"...the record company will bring a curated assortment of over 400 vintage vinyl titles that can only be found in our Herald Square location"

What are the chances that these "vintage vinyl titles" will just be overpriced dollar bin fodder? That UO opens this weekend, so I might swing by there out of morbid curiosity.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Trip report re: Amoeba Records in the new NYC Urban Outfitters - don't bother. The selections were housed in one shelving unit and everything was re-sealed, so checking out the condition of the records wasn't possible. Anything Beatles, Rolling Stones, or Pink Floyd was at least $20, even if the jackets were badly creased. Other albums were priced between $20 and $40.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

So yeah, you should probably go to Urban Outfitters. $9.99 a piece:

There is currently a deal for an additional 50% off of sale items. $9.99 records at UO are now ringing up as $4.99.

I picked up this lot:
Metz - S/T
Wild Beasts - Present Tense
Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Titus Andronicus - Local Business
Dodos - Carrier
Beach Fossils - Clash the Truth
Hospitality - Trouble
Palma Violets - 180

interpunct fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 3, 2014

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

iluvpr0n posted:

I haven't combed through it yet, but a few pages of browsing shows there are some pretty good deals in this Insound 50% off sale.

Their site was crushed yesterday from all the traffic and a lot of the listed 50% off inventory is now on backorder. I ordered three albums and just now received an e-mail that only two are being processed for shipment. I doubt that any orders for backordered items will be honored.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

It looks like Daft Punk Alive 1997 and Alive 2007 are getting a vinyl release this December. It's available for pre-order on Amazon France. What are the chances these pre-orders shows up on the US site?

Individual LPs:
http://www.amazon.fr/Alive-1997-Vinyle-Daft-Punk/dp/B00005NVT0
http://www.amazon.fr/Alive-2007-Vinyles-Daft-Punk/dp/B00PCGZS0E

Box set:
http://www.amazon.fr/Alive-1997-2007-Coffret-Vinyles/dp/B00PCGY9OU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I'm in line at Rough Trade NYC with a bunch of other people who will probably catch pneumonia, but at least it's way shorter than the midday RSD line was earlier this year.

I just want the St Vincent 10" :(

I jumped in line at Rough Trade around 8:30 because waiting in the cold is terrible. Picked up the St. Vincent, Chvrches, Jenny Lewis, First Aid Kit, and Ra Ra Riot releases hassle-free so I celebrated with a free espresso from their coffee bar.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

1-2-3-4 Go! Records posted their Black Friday RSD leftover stock online, in case your local store didn't have a particular item or you just didn't want to bother earlier: http://catalog.1234gorecords.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=91

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

WASDF posted:

Here's the list! They're all conditionally superb unless stated.

I'm interested in that Waxahatchee record. I don't want to clutter up the thread with questions but I don't have PMs. Can I e-mail you about it or message you through Discogs, if possible?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Smeed posted:

I feel like this is a stupid question but I couldn't seem to find it on the record store day website. How the heck does it work? There is at least one album on the record store day release list that I'd like to get... Is each participating store going to receive X number of that album? Do I have to stand in line and fistfight people to get a copy or can I order it online?
Availability/attainability really varies between releases and from store to store. If it's a Record Store Day exclusive with a very limited pressing, your local store may not even get a copy even if they placed an order for it. If it's an RSD first release, then it will eventually be widely available at a later date. Some stores may get very little of one item and sell out right away but another store in the area may have a lot of the same release sitting around well after the opening rush.

You won't be able to place any orders for RSD releases online that day but if stores have leftover stock they may list them online on their own websites anywhere between the next day and the next week.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 26, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Who's ready to pay $150 for 6 hours/9 LPs worth of the same song?

quote:

On May 5, 2013 The National collaborated with Icelandic artist Ragnar Kjartansson on A Lot of Sorrow, a durational performance presented as part of MoMA PS1’s Sunday Sessions. Kjartansson, who often uses repetitive performance to explore collective experience and emotion, invited The National to play their three-minute, twenty-five second song “Sorrow” live on stage, repeatedly and continuously, for six hours. This incredible feat of endurance has become legendary, and the audio recording of the performance will be released as a limited edition 1,500 run vinyl boxed set by 4AD on June 22, 2015.

Featuring nine pieces of clear vinyl in clear sleeves held in a translucent, screen printed box, A Lot of Sorrow is now available for pre-order. All profits will be donated to Partners in Health, an organization dedicated to improve the health of impoverished people worldwide.

http://alotofsorrow.com

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I got the Pizza Underground 7" so RSD was a success.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

SeXReX posted:

The amount of this stuff that was purchased by flippers feels like a slap in the face.

I don't want to support them at all, but at the same time I want that loving polaris.

Here you go: http://www.mezzotint.com/store.html#polaris

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

Anywhere selling overstock online today? That's how I got all my stuff last year. Only interested in the Pete & Pete album and the WWF stuff.

Modern Vinyl is constantly updating their list of stores posting RSD Leftovers online at the bottom of this page: http://modern-vinyl.com/2015/04/16/rsd-2015-the-deals/

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone happen to know where I could get the Pizza Underground EP?

Bull Moose had it in stock when they listed their leftovers online at noon. Their site, predictably, got hammered but you might luck out:

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/18207298

Edit: Looks like it's sold out now.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 20, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

WASDF posted:

Think that they sent out Airheads, but I can't remember the label either.

I've received Airheads from Polyvinyl.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

http://www.ebay.com/sch/destroynewjersey/m.html

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

$44 Australian.

Via their Facebook page:

quote:

The pre-order link that went up yesterday is Australian based, so prices are in AU dollars and in line with music pricing in Aus. If you're not in Australia, don't buy from the Tame store.
Prices are different all around the world (and probably significantly cheaper!), so find your local link and pre-order from there...
Vinyl pre-orders will be going up in the US, UK & rest of world soon and we'll post as soon as they are live.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

TubeStank posted:

don giovanni put a bunch of test pressings and rare releases up on ebay. you can pick up an original pressing of screaming females "what if someone's watching their tv?" for like $20.

Thanks for mentioning this, by the way. Ended up winning that Waxahatchee test pressing.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

Any good record stores in NYC? I'm here for a few days unexpectedly.

http://www.humanheadnyc.com

Good luck getting anywhere off the L if you're planning on taking public transportation.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

CPL593H posted:

for 400 dollars you can do a lot better than this gimmicky piece of poo poo that's probably on par with a Crosley. I'm also wondering how the tone arm stays on the record and if it requires heavier pressure than a normal turntable.

quote:

The tracking force is (dynamically) applied by a spring as opposed to the usual counterweights found in horizontal record players in which the arm is (statically) balanced. Spring loaded tracking force is beneficial in regards to consistency of the force applied—especially on warped records. Our tone-arms are factory-set at the optimal tracking force of ~2 gram

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I don't usually post in this subforum, but I've been thinking for getting into vinyl collecting for awhile. I never have much money but I'm pretty sure I can get a record player for Christmas and make it my main hobby. Is it worth it if I'm mostly into modern stuff? I like older acts too, but not too awfully much. There's a good several of records I want from acts I really like, but I'm not sure on it's sustainability of it(ie even if people keep making records none of the people I like will).

I love flea marketing though, so record hunting would be a good addition to that too and I might end up finding some of the older stuff I like.

Start with this album:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Spam posted:

So...

Do you guys think that the 'mats will be reissuing Let It Be anytime soon?

I can snag a VG+ for next to nothing but obviously there's no point if there's an upcoming reprint.

CPL593H posted:

A lot of times times you're better off buying the older pressing, especially if it's cheaper. Not all reissues were done with care.

Let It Be will be reissued as part of the Twin Tone years box set set to be released next month:

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Tone-Years-4LP/dp/B00XO2A1LE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436443713&sr=8-1

Also, where would one find the original pressing for "next to nothing"? I've never seen that album sell for less than $70 lately. If you can get the original for cheap, absolutely do that.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 9, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

iluvpr0n posted:

Attention soundtrack weirdos: Daft Punk's TRON: Legacy is apparently being reissued next month for $40 and you can preorder it on amazon.

Assuming that listing isn't some mistake on Amazon's part, $40 isn't a bad deal considering how much the original pressing resells for:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Yeah, but the prototype they had on display looks like this:

Edit:
Wired article from which I found that image: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/02/panasonic-turntable-technics

interpunct fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 3, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Ballz posted:

Is there a Black Friday Record Store Day again this year? Shouldn't we heard something about it by now?

The list is here: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Or here if you like PDFs: http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/2012BLACK_FRIDAY_PUBLIC.pdf

No one's talking about it because...well, look at that list.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Flaggy posted:

How much are they going to gouge us for the NIN one? I didn't see a price but I might also be blind.

Bullmoose says the list price is $89.98 (but they'll be selling it for ~$86): http://www.bullmoose.com/p/20741209/nine-inch-nails-halo-i-iv-lp3-12-box-set

Edit: Bullmoose's list with prices is here: http://www.bullmoose.com/c/13165/black-friday-record-store-day/0

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Creature posted:

I'm very interested in these. Are they being released individually? I've only seen the box set, and as much as I love her work I don't think I can justify that price.

Furnace Room Lullaby - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DHJ7ZW/

Blacklisted - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DHJ7WA/

The Tigers Have Spoken - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016DHJ84C/

Bonus Barnes & Noble exclusive variant of Blacklisted for some reason: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/blacklisted-neko-case/29141545

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Anaranjado posted:

Anybody else order anything from that DFA sale? I got the most recent Juan Maclean album, which has some cool music and a pair of tits inside of it as well. Oh and a download code for some unreleased stuff, which is cool.

Worth noting they're running a sale on their Bandcamp, 15% off any order until april fool's day with the code "threedognight".

I picked up the white label pressing of LCD Soundsystem - London Sessions while it was still in stock; who wouldn't buy that for 40% off?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Here's the list of US releases for Record Store Day 2016 in convenient(?) PDF form:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/recordstoreday/2016/2016_RSD_PUBLIC.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

But I'm curious if the price set by this chucklefuck eager gentleman is indicative of average RSD prices: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Residen...EkAAOSwy5ZXCH33

That single record LP and other 12" single record LPs are like $50 apiece. Is that how much RSD releases typically retail for or is this guy being a scumbag? If 12" RSD exclusives go for like $50 apiece I may just not even bothering to go in the morning. The place I'm going to is also having a 20% off sale on all other records and I may just get some regular records instead.

Here's the same listing at Bull Moose:

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/22031435...r-college-radio

List price is $19.99. Individual stores can charge more or less than that, but the dude on eBay is clearly price gouging.