Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

david puddy posted:

You're in Australia too, right? Howard's Storage World had a fair few things that would have worked (it was a pretty big store though). I imagine if you're around a capital city there would be one of them around somewhere.

I got this sweet 40cm or so long rectangular basket which is the perfect width for housing 7 inches froma HSW a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still sell them though.

There's also a place near me called Economy Warehouse which has huge range of cane baskets that are suitable, but I think that store is Tasmanian only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

pfft, just build your own solution :smug:

If only I had the skills :smith:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

I wish labels put out cheap white label versions of records as well as the Maniacs Only!! Versions.

Sometimes I just want the music. Don't do a drat thing on the package and give it to me for $6.

The main reason I buy vinyl is the packaging. If I didn't care about that I would just download it.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

Hey I love creative packaging but the prices get a little stupid sometimes. It would be nice to have a budget option other than mp3 since I only listen to music on vinyl these days.

Who wants to start a low price bootleg label, lets do it!!

Yeah, I agree a lot of labels way overcharge for their records, especially with all their '180 gram heavy duty premium audiophile grade' bullshit. I like how labels like No Idea can keep their prices really low, pity I'm not very into that kind of music.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

As long as the record is not warped enough that it brushes the platter when it spins, it shouldn't affect playability

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

http://store.matadorrecords.com/new-releases/fade

The new Yo La Tengo album Fade is up for pre-order. There is a numbered deluxe edition printed on rainbow foil with a bonus 7".

Yo La Tengo have been ridiculously consistent over the years so I am looking forward to this.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Bliggers- posted:

What happened to that preorder price gaurantee?

What probably happened is heaps of copies were sold for the cheap price, they went "oh poo poo", then sent out the cancellation email with "Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it's not available from any of our sources at this time", which is total bullshit (it's a pre-order). Expect it to go back up on the site in a week or so at the normal price.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Pre-orders are up for the new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album, Push The Sky Away.

http://www.nickcave.com/

The super-deluxe set is really loving tempting, but it works out to AU$175, which is a bit too much for me atm. It contains all this stuff:

Nick Cave posted:

Includes:
CD Album and vinyl album [180gm Heavyweight Vinyl]
DVD with specially created visuals by artists Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard
2 x exclusive 7" vinyls containing non album bonus tracks
Exclusive 120-page replica of Nick Cave's handwritten, hand stamped and hand glued notebooks
Numbered certificate of authenticity signed by Nick Cave (original signature limited to first 300 orders)
Exclusive liner notes

Drool.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress it, ordered it. I adored Dig, Lazarus, Dig. I trust Cave.

I love Cave, and my finger hovered over the trigger, but it's the wrong time of year to spend that kind of money on a record. Plus I blew all my money on that Sufjan Stevens Silver & Gold vinyl box, the limited mailorder one :shepface:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

You can preorder the deluxe edition on the XL store website. If you are in the USA it is much cheaper that way.

Pre-ordered the deluxe from XL. Still pricey, but $20 cheaper than the Atoms for Peace website :wtc:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Did XL charge right away?

I think so. I paid with my credit card, but the charge hasn't come on to my account yet. There was also an option to pay with Paypal, which would take your money straight away.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

http://www.ainr.com/item_dcfc.html

$225 for this? Sure, getting original pressings on ebay will cost more than that, but these are reissues. It should be $120 max. Barsuk did a similar box set for Nada Surf reissues and it was only $100. I understand that it's limited to 1500 copies but the Nada Surf set was limited to 1000.

Artist in Residence stuff is always really expensive. They make nice sets apparently, but I've never bought one.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I have no problem with what Jack White does with Third Man. He seems to want to just have fun with the format. It's just people who take it way too seriously. I don't have any limited Third Man vinyl and am fine with that.

Every single release he puts out is available in unlimited black which is kept in print. So if all you want is the music then nothing is stopping you.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

david puddy posted:

To any Australians who care, all the JB HiFis I've been to recently have started stocking vinyl again. They've only had 10-15 albums at all of them but it's a start.

I though all JB HiFi's stocked vinyl? The stores in Melbourne have hundreds upon hundreds. Hell, even my local store in Hobart has had quite a bit of vinyl for a few years now.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

My condolences. I thought if the Hobart store could have vinyl, the rest of them should.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, postage to Australia sucks, but a typical price is around $15. $75 is a total :whoptc:

Amazon can be good to order from, as postage is quite cheap, regardless of weight. I had the Blur vinyl box (which weighs a tonne) shipped to me from Amazon.ca for like $6 or something ridiculous.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

david puddy posted:

Yeah, the issue is the record companies who put out 100 coloured gimmick represses in 5 years that sound awful (like Magic Bullet Records with This Will Destroy You, god those sound loving awful), or companies that just have no idea what they're doing I guess. Some of my best sounding records are on coloured vinyl (namely my Porcupine Tree ones pressed by Tonefloat).

The guy who runs Magic Bullet puts out so many different colours of that album just to gently caress with variant collectors.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

But the person using an iPod may have a turntable at home?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I lug my turntable in a pack on my back.

I carry mine around on my shoulder like a boombox.

(If you have one of these you can actually do that)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Dr. Lariat posted:

My cyber Monday order from pop market still hasn't shipped despite the dec. 10-20 og estimate. When I check the site now it states shipping late January.

I ordered a White Stripes bundle from them at that time and I actually forgot about it until the other day. No idea when it will come, but I'm not worried.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

david puddy posted:

How many Australians actually post in this thread?

Sup.

The only good record store in Hobart is Tommy Gun but if you live there you would already know that.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

The preorder for the new album by The Men, New Moon, is up:

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/releases/sbr090/

Check the limited edition:

Sacred Bones posted:

Limited edition of 350 hand-numbered copies in deluxe packaging. Includes a bonus CD Campfire Songs, featuring six acoustic songs not on the LP, along with hand-screen-printed wrap-around sleeve, wax-sealed, available by mail order only.

The limited editions of their previous albums go for mad cash. I really like their previous albums and they are supposed to be great live, which I will find out this weekend.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

http://www.recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/3348

When you spend your one day a year in a record store for Record Store Day, make sure you do it wearing the Official Record Store Day shoe.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

CPL593H posted:

What kind of person would want to actually listen to a record? All records must be sealed in an airtight vault never to be seen, handled, or heard again.

This is completely true. I picked up a copy of the reissue of Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary. The sticker on the shrinkwrap says "Limited edition colored vinyl". I opened it and it is black. If I had never opened it I could have forever lived with the comfort of knowing my copy was on colour vinyl. That illusion is now shattered.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I can't believe I just ordered a new My Bloody Valentine album.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Ugh, add me to the list of people who got burned by Pop Market.

I had a good experience with them in the past, but I just had the thing everyone has been trashing them about happen. I ordered the Raphael Saadiq bundle they had yesterday, it was listed as in stock. They received my order, took payment. Now the order says "Item is temporarily back ordered"

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get a refund from them? That's so sketchy.

I still haven't received the White Stripes bundle I ordered back in November, though I looked it up just then and it's "shipping soon".

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Dr. Lariat posted:

Every now and then Pop Market has some neat looking bundles, last week they had all the Outkast albums at a decent price, today there is a big Monkees colored vinyl set being advertised and it's always so tempting. Except they are a terribly inept company. I finally got notice earlier this week that the White Stripes bundle I ordered back in November has finally shipped. After months of ship date push backs and no explanation of why albums that are easy to find all over are unavailable to ship I get my package today, and open it to find only 3 of the 4 albums promised. Perhaps the wait for the 4th missing album will only be 1-2 months.

In other words, avoid Pop Market. Could be a coincidence but I find it funny my order shipped 24 hours after I started leaving comments on their facebook inquiring about my order.

Yeah, I finally got my shipping notice last week as well. I hope I get all the records.

Also, just send them a message using the 'contact us' link on the site. I sent them a query about the description of The Clash bundle I ordered (it said there was a lyric sheet, there was no lyric sheet), and they went and sent me the records again (still no lyric sheet).

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

cheapandugly posted:

Pop Market's pretty awful. They're usually selling something alright, but they sign you up for mailing lists for audiophile bullshit stereo equipment if you actually buy something from them.

The only emails I receive are the ones for their daily deal. Never got anything about stereo equipment.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

This isn't my picture, but the new album by Lorelei - Enterprising Sidewalks. It's clear with poo poo splatter, or chocolate milk if you want to be kinder.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I imagine NZ record stores having used bins full of Flying Nun releases and just buying them all :allears:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Give me a 180gm deluxe reissue of Whipped Cream & Other Delights already dammit.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

cheapandugly posted:

Do any of you guys dig on everything to do with Stephen Merritt? If so you might be interested in knowing there's a preorder for a Future Bible Heroes set of their albums including a new one.

http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=938

If you buy this, or anything else from Merge, use the code "wtf" for 20% off.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

This was recently repressed by K. So glad to finally have it:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Run Dodo Run posted:

Look, RSD is a celebration of the very greatest independent record labels and independent music, such as this:

This will go nicely with my Disturbed boxset from the previous RSD.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

My local record store actually had some RSD items this year, so I picked up The White Stripes - Elephant and Nick Cave & The Bad Seed - Animal X 7". They also had a bunch of copies of the Tame Impala but I'm not into that band enough to bother getting it.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I'm hoping to pick an ATDI up somewhere as my store didn't have it.

Pass.

Anyway it's "Currently unavailable"

put both hands in fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 20, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

All my records from Amazon have come in those frustration-free mailers which are rad, though apparently those giant boxes still turn up occasionally.

Amazon is great for general, non-limited releases as the shipping to Australia is really cheap, after the USPS's recent 800% postage increase made purchasing from a lot of other places prohibitively expensive.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, most times now the shipping is more than the record. And if it's a double LP or more, then urgh.

Here is a good article about it: http://stereogum.com/1247822/deconstructing-how-the-usps-is-killing-indie/top-stories/lead-story/

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I don't really understand Sigur Ros vinyl. They are a popular band. Why don't they keep their stuff in print, instead of these small pressings every now and then? They could make so much money, instead it's going to eBay or Discogs sellers most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

I'm not really sure what the problem is?