Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I somehow looked up Mexican Summer to see if there was a repress of Connan Mockasin's Jassbusters the moment they were testing a new listing for a Jassbusters repress and they sent me the first copy hot off the presses :slick:

That's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Barry posted:

I bought a three day pass and the lineup is so my jam and I can't be more excited

I'm real excited for the Sunday lineup. It's nice to have a mini vacation to look forward to that isn't staying inside my house.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I found a local dude that refurbishes old stereo cabinets:

I really like that refurbished cabinet! I'm planning on dropping a lot of money (for me anyways) on a locally made cabinet for my records on Thursday and this got me even more excited.

Also I had the same haircut as your dog in middle school. Looks a lot better on them.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

The Van Der Beek.

Yes that's it. Lol

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

The level of awful of that haircut depends greatly on if you were in high school in the 90s.

Middle school thankfully.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I finally pulled the trigger on a record cabinet on display at one of the record stores around me. Locally built and the guy was nice enough to drop it off. Absolutely love the new setup. Now to figure out how I'd like to organize the records.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Rolo posted:

That’s drat cool.

Also the idea of not having my dust cover on 24/7 scares me. My building is new, I have no pets but it’s duuuusty.

I started finally using the dust covers yesterday after setting up. So much dust and cat hair.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah that Lifetones album. :hfive:

:hfive:

It's drat good.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

petit choux posted:

I guess CaptainBeerfart was taken

I'm more interested in bee farts.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

beeker posted:

Ah yes, the “NM” copy of Hot Rats I purchased where the sleeve is falling apart at the seams and the record is scratched to all hell. Adds to the Zappa aesthetic though!

Oof. That hurts just reading it.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

When the hell is my Disco Elysium OST 3XLP going to arrive?! Getting real impatient.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

My partner found this at our local place on Saturday, and he's been over the moon since. :3

I would be too if I found a copy. Nice!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

gently caress now I feel bad for having given a copy of that Pointer Sisters record to a friend before I really got into records myself. I never actually listened to it, it was a record that you saw fairly frequently in the thrift store so I'd figured I'd find another and never did.

Today's purchase is Yakuza Heart Attack from Ship to Shore Records. I guess an 8 bit coating is all it takes for me to withstand prog/art rock. Here's the band's bandcamp if you want a listen: https://yakuzaheartattack.bandcamp.com/

My friend who's a huge fan got extremely excited when I sent him this and preordered immediately, thanks. I've never listened to them and missed the local shows but have been following Keith's Orange Milk record label just for the artwork he does.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I just generally like kooky wacky shows but I don't know much of their material and what I do know is from the 70s/80s. I was wondering whether or not its inaccessible to normies (or as much of a normie as I could ever be considered). The other day my brother called me to tell me that Mac Sabbath is coming here.

Never seen Mac Sabbath but the opener Lung is pretty good if you dig cello + drum duos.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

My favorite local store Skeleton Dust Records had a 10% off new 20% off used deal today. Proud of myself for only spending $18.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The biggest store near me has a limit of one copy per customer which has helped cut down on scalpers swooping in.

I've only gotten in line for one RSD I think 5 years ago and felt it was a waste of time. Now I just stroll in later in the day and see what's left. That's how I picked up a Sugar Ray rerelease. Lol

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 11, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've also noticed that record stores are putting out a lot of rare stuff they've collected between each event. Skeleton Dust Records is going to have 5 or so different Beatles bootlegs I've never seen before.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

My record shop is continuing the estate sale ticket method and last time it was one copy of a record per person, so I bet that's in place as well. From now on I think I'm only going to do the 6 am line up for poo poo I really really loving want, which means I get to haul my rear end out of bed in mid July. Hence why I'm leaving tomorrow to fate and making my chance slimmer that I'll be tempted to buy a $100 box set of a pair of albums I already own.

Plus I bet there will be a billion copies of the Elton John release and you'll see them hanging out in the new records section for month afterwards. McCartney 1 was like that last time; I picked one up way after the fact to complete the trifecta and not bother wasting time finding the best used copy out of the dozen on the shelf.

Omega Music had a copy of Aquarium Drunkards Lagniappe Sessions Vol 1 RSD release sit around for a year and marked down for clearance. It's ridiculous no one bought it; one of the best covers compilations I've ever heard.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Ballz posted:

Update: I went over to the store I USUALLY hit up first on RSD where I was not number 15 in line but instead… 147.

But two hours later and being told most of the good stuff was already gone I gave them my list… and they still had every album I was looking for. Apparently my taste is trash so the poo poo I want never sells out. :smug:

My haul:

The Piñata was the only thing I bought at my first stop, when I thought I wasn’t getting anything else. Everything else is from the second store. Flippers on discogs are already trying to sell that Kenny Dorham for three figures. :staredog:

That's the great thing about the more obscure stuff, 90% of people flip right past it. I almost bought that Mulatu Astatke record, if it's still in a shop next week I'll probably grab it.

I went to one shop around 2pm to see what was left. Didn't find a copy of the William Tyler release but I'm assuming it'll get rereleased at some point.

Only RSD release I grabbed is the Salah Ragab - Egypt Strut; no idea what it sounds like but I'm sure I'll dig it.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

godawful Neil young rockabilly album

Are you talking about the doo-wop album with him and the pink spiders? I like that one. Lol

Edit: tbf I picked that one up when I was on a blues and Jimmy Reed kick.

I received a call at 8 am from Omega Music that they reserved a copy of the William Tyler release for me. Woo!

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 14, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Tompkins Square is having a bandcamp sale this morning with limited quantities. Picked up the Daniel Bachman and Imaginational Anthem Vol. 9.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've always considered the one folded sleeve corner kind of charming tbh.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Fors Yard posted:

De-Brooksed in the Garthatorium

Lol

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nothing better than getting a handful of records in the mail.

Top left is the newest release from the Powers/Rolin duo comprised of a 12 string guitar and dulcimer. Here's a link:
https://aepowersrolinduo.bandcamp.com/album/strange-fortune

The other 3 were picked up for pretty cheap on Tompkins Square's Bandcamp sale last week.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Folks... it's real.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

:sickos:

Mine hasn't even shipped yet, but considering it was 115 degrees yesterday, I'm fine waiting.

I'm gonna have to go back and count how many of us did this and calculate just how many Garth Brooks LPs total we all took down. I think there were at least 10 of us and that's 210 dang records.

420 if you count the CDs. :okpos:

This is the current package status according to Amazon lol:

The box was pretty drat hot, hoping they didn't warp too badly.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Aaaaannnnddddd... side 1 of the analog No Fences is a skipping disaster.

Already have a return/replace with Amazon.

Goddammit.

That's no good.

I listened to No Fences last night and surprisingly enjoyed it quite a bit.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

I never really got the big box sets as anything other than fomo collector bait. The perfect gift for the superfan who for some reason has zero of their favorite artist’s albums. Anyway the dumbest record I own is the Rush Hour 2 soundtrack.

The track list for Rush Hour 2 doesn't look that bad.

Silliest record I own is Sugar Rays 14:59. Listened to it once for nostalgia and don't know if I'll ever pull it out again.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I heard a noisy track off of this Drained Connotation record on WFMU last week and had to get a copy. Ended up grabbing two Richard Bishop records from the discogs seller as well cause why not. I've only heard a few tracks from Sun City Girls so I'm looking forward to see what this stuff sounds like.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Patsy Cline might have died before Garth brooks was born, and Willie probably had a record deal already, so he’s definitely a generation or two removed. But I think you are misremembering how hokey some of Alan Jackson’s songs were. He had some good ones too, but it’s thin soup.

I think songwriting in Nashville just went downhill sometime in the early 90s. Maybe the talented songwriters had the alt country scene where they could sing their own songs and make money instead of having to rely on the studio system.

Country music peeked with Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I think you mean Meat Puppets II

I didn't but I'd be happy to change that to II or Up On The Sun.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Thats ONE of country's peaks.

I think it's one of the most successful albums to light a love of country and/or Ween.

I grew up in a small rural town and one of the highlights drinking there was bonding over the Ween country album with a random farmer guy at the jukebox.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

If anyone is interested in country music that is actually country music get yourself a copy of Satan Is Real by the Louvin Brothers. It's a really good album and it has one of the best album covers of all time.

I'll keep an eye out for one, seen the cover a ton online but never in a store.

Top of my favorite country albums list is The Byrd's Sweetheart of the Rodeo and the Numero Group compilation Cosmic American Music.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I think you mean Learnin' to Love off of La Cucaracha.

I swear they play it live specifically to antagonize. I dig that.

Oh I loveeee that song. It's obnoxious as hell and one of my favorite songs to sing along to. La Cucaracha doesn't get the love it deserves.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Woman and Man gives that album the biggest pass, but it has a ton of good tracks. Not gonna lie: I'm a sucker for their White Guy Reggae songs.

I just got this sweet package on pre-order:

The only one with good enough cover art to grab the poster. Carpenter wrote new tracks for the 7".

Thankfully it has tracks like Blue Balloon, Fiesta, Shamemaker and Object to save it.

PSA for anyone who prepurchased the Disco Elysium vinyl from I am 8 bit, their support service said it's due to ship mid to end of July. Hoping it doesn't get moved back again.

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 7, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

possibly because in the world of Ween bad is good and good is bad so it makes sense that their most professional sounding album gets overlooked

Good point!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, I had to stop myself from buying some Archiv sets because I don't really like baroque music, not even "big band" 70s style Baroque before they started actually playing it like how it was played back in the day.

Mainly because Archiv had some of the most amazing packaging ever. It was so German.

That's some solid design right there.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

New arrival for my vaporwave collection, peep this really interesting disc pattern:

I'm usually turned off by colored vinyl but these are real pretty.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Hoping my OMC How Bizarre single comes in soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also this was me taking :10bux: into that store and getting some nice stuff

most of it was the Bernstein/Stravinsky (another all time great classical lp cover) which was a stereo six-eye Columbia in decent shape. The Tosca and the Steinberg Brahms box set were freebies that the guy threw in. (Steinberg/Pittsburgh are both super underrated so I was thrilled about that)

The two Mercury LPs were $1 and both are in great shape. Clean Mercury Living Presence stereo LPs actually can go for $25-ish and up, though I dunno if you can actually move them at any speed. I'm really glad because that Paul Paray recording is great, from that period where Detroit had the best French orchestra on the planet.

Also that Eugen Jochum/BSO Schubert is one of the greatest Unfinished Symphony recordings ever. Go listen on YouTube/Spotify, it's amazing.

Those are some great looking coasters!