Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

JehovahsWetness posted:

A lot of time and very little competition.
Extensive perusal of the Real Dude Obituaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Buying records you don't actually like isn't so much ironic as it is stupid. Or, in the case that you actually like the music, it's just not ironic at all.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In any case, I don't see "ironically" liking something as a bad thing and really hate all of the hostility it gets from people.
Because I think it's not actually ironic, and the whole concept of "liking something ironically" is almost exclusively used to stifle discussion and write off people's opinions. It's pretty rare in my experience that that phrasing is accurate, for one thing. It's often shorthand for "I'm afraid people I know would think less of me if they knew I liked this", which IMHO isnt conducive to honest discussion, because people are afraid to own their tastes.

quote:

It's the distinction between "I'm watching this cartoon for children. I'm gonna enjoy it for what it is" and "Who are you dressing up as for this year's Bronycon?"
"I'm going to enjoy this for what it is" is sort of the opposite of enjoying something "ironically" though? How do you enjoy things unironically if not for what they are?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

david puddy posted:

This means I've only gotta get a couple more PT records and I will be entirely satisfied with my collection and I can finally start keeping my money
Haha, let's be honest, you'll find another way to spend it on records ;)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

david puddy posted:

e: Also I am not going to try and flip it because that is exactly what happens in the Porcupine Tree fanbase and I hate people who do it wth a passion
Honestly, the buyer's interests would be served by having as many people who own the album and don't like/want it put their copies up for sale. Holding onto a limited edition you don't like because you think speculation/flipping is wrong just reduces supply and drives up the price.

I can understand judging people who specifically engage in speculation, buying for the sole purpose of reselling at a higher price. But I honestly don't see anything wrong with making a purchase, deciding you're not satisfied with it, and selling it. I mean, you can price it at what you paid + shipping if it makes you feel better, though I wouldn't be surprised if the speculators you don't like have searches set up to buy up underpriced copies.

Ultimately I don't think there's any nobility in hoarding albums you don't like, it just keeps them from people who do like them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

wa27 posted:

And because it's not even a dumb opinion.
Labels being annoyed with people complaining about colored vinyl's appearance is pretty understandable even if "gently caress you" is pretty rude, and someone interpreting that as "if you complain at all, gently caress you" is absolutely a very dumb opinion.

het fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 12, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

alg posted:

This thread has pretty much become a Reddit image dump the last few months.
Eh, it kinda sucks but that's just the nature of the beast. Even at its best, this thread is going to consist of a fair amount of image posts, there's only so much you can talk about gear.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Surfingelectrode posted:

I actually have a life for once. Isn't that shocking?

(Can we change the thread title now? :blush: )
Now I'll change it to Porcupine Tree and david puddy will have to complete his PT collection :twisted:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hahahaha go gently caress yourself, I knew this was gonna happen.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Blast Fantasto posted:

I think if he was just like "Here is these records, I have six, $40 each." No one would care.

It's the fact that he's auctioning them off one by one to drive the price up. Ugh.
Yeah, this is really the offensive part, combined with this obviously bullshit attempt to imply it was a one-time thing and not just an attempt to maximize profits:

Giant loving Douche posted:

I recently acquired a few copies of the title record, and while personal friends and relatives have already put in requests for copies, I need some money to help pay off a traffic ticket.
Ah yes, I know that my grandma has been yearning to own this album on vinyl for years.

edit: also, at the time of the first auction, it went for $125 when there were 2 available on discogs for about $100, that kind of grated too.

het fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 5, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

blumpkinbliss posted:

Ok NMD vinyl thread, I’m loving wasted as I always am when I post and lets be honest, trying to get band, so gently caress it. David puddy, it was either you or some other idiot with your exact same avatar that put out that lovely album in NMD, and I don’t really care if it was you or another guy but it fuvking sucked. I mean that poo poo was so bad. loving terrible. And the rest of you, posting pictures of your goddan lovely King Crismon collection or some lame Vangelis poo poo, are you loving serious? Look im a lovely poster no doubt about it but sometimes I look at this thread and I just loving weep WEEP for you assholes. I know, youll be all like “ hey shut the gently caress up music is subjectie and poo poo but seriously, have you guys checked the dollar bin of your local record shop- half of the poo poo you post you can find there with not problems at all. I know I’m being a pompous rear end in a top hat to some of you but seriously, do you shop for records anyhere else but online? And what the gently caress are you doing using the words “vinyl records?” Is that like a joke or something? I guarantee there are a lot worse things to complain about but gently caress you guys make me feel ashamed and I’m over it. To be fair tho record store day is ok except that you won’t get a lot of poo poo because the stores usually allow employees to call dibs on the good poo poo but you should still go anyways cause record employees are dumb sometimes
I know you think you're owning people here but it's really just pathetic.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
The site isn't loading for me, but apparently you can pre-order Boards of Canada's upcoming album Tomorrow's Harvest here: http://bleep.com/boards-of-canada-tomorrows-harvest

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

It's probably because you're in the wrong hemisphere. It is true that in Australia turntables spin the other way?
No, but side A is on the bottom.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Smekerman posted:

V0 is MP3 format, it's pretty much the highest form of lossy encoding there is. To sum up both parties, some people swear to be able to tell the difference between FLAC and a V0 MP3 rip, other people swear that there is no audible difference between the two. Cue the format wars.
Even V2 is transparent to basically everyone who has done an A/B/X test. The people who claim to be able to tell the difference generally have no interest in testing that, though.

There are a couple specific artifacts in MP3 that are more noticeable if you know what to look for, and at lower bitrates, but generally speaking the idea that FLAC has a noticeable difference over a well-encoded MP3 to the general populace is bunk.

edit: googled a little bit looking for recent results, and the decision is in: Audiophiles prefer the warmth of 320kbps CBR MP3s over lossless: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/02/high-bitrate-mp3-internet-blind-test_3422.html :laugh:

het fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 25, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There was discussion of doing a record exchange this past summer and a bunch of people seemed interested enough.

I PM'd het about it and got a wary approval (more like a "it technically doesn't violate any NMD rules") with the very strong caveat that the mods wanted nothing to do with policing any disputes regarding undelivered goods/general flakery and that any drama would likely result in a severe crackdown (probably mostly on me).
Er, to be clear, I never suggested that you would ever be punished for it, just that I know how these things go and one dude flakes out (except it's tough to prove this kind of thing) and people get super indignant and I'm kinda not interested in policing that kind of poo poo.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just to be clear, I didn't mean my initial Mumford/Sons comment in any sort of Redditesque *beep boop girls are weird, must input Britney Spears into command line for girlfriend output* way.
Just to be clear, everything following this line was still really embarrassing :laugh:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

JohnnyC is super, super mad about it though.
Haha, that is one way to put it, another is that you can't stop rolling with the punches. I thought it was a pretty funny description of Mumford & Sons

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yucky, breasts
Haha, yes, that is the only reason one might not want to advertise that album cover, because one thinks breasts are just yucky. Brilliant.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

What kind of moron would pay 200 bucks for a copy of 2112? Those are common as rain.
It's signed by Neil Peart and next to the dedication to Ayn Rand he wrote "Whoops, my bad!"

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ron Burgundy posted:

Did the thread title get changed to a song that is not on the 1994 version on purpose? That poo poo is deep.
It isn't?? It was in every commercial I remember!

fake edit: apparently not! well either way it makes me laugh every time

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Scharpling & Wurster's "Rock, Rot, & Rule" is being released, with a RSD special red vinyl pressing:
http://vimeo.com/86865061

This is the comedy bit that basically launched The Best Show on WFMU and one of the funniest comedy bits about music ever, everyone should buy it (at least the regular pressing)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DammitJanet posted:

I don't give a poo poo what "artists" think. If you have an axe to grind, take it up with the real criminals trying to ruin this hobby. (i.e. people who flip records or the organizers of Record Store Day).
I'm hoping this is sarcasm but there's enough sincere over-the-top vitriol about flippers and RSD in this thread that it's honestly tough to tell.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
When I first read your quote I thought you were being kinda silly but drat that guy definitely gives a lovely vibe. I get the impression he would like people to believe the blog is way more influential and way more worthwhile to subscribers than it is.

The thing that bothers me about arguments about flipping is that I always get the impression that a lot of the people who get so angry about the practice are angry just because they don't want to pay a lot of money for albums. I understand that, but to some extent that just seems like an inevitable side effect of the free market (outside of some shady tactics). Like if flippers buy up all of some limited release at 30$ and put it up on ebay for $50, it's only going to work out if people actually are willing to pay $50. And I kinda think the answer here isn't "people shouldn't be allowed to flip records" (not that that's particularly enforceable) and more "labels/artists should price their products closer to market value". The fundamental issue I have with flipping isn't that someone's profiting substantially, it's that it's people other than the artists who made the music (or packaging or whatever it is you value about it).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sockser posted:

Son of a bitch. I was pretty pleased that I didn't want anything from RSD, and now I find out there's a RSD-exclusive printing of Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game: The Soundtrack.

loving hell. Now I have to go out and poo poo.
You'll have to get me to stop giving you the biggest noogie on the planet first.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Snowy posted:

I'd like a copy of Rock, Rot, and Rule but it's hard for me to get excited about a $25 lp, let alone have to wait hours in line to get it.

There's no way to know which stores have a particular record, is there?
It'll have wide release later, this is just a limited edition colored vinyl. There's no way Tom would have the record itself be an RSD exclusive.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

post-emocore disco-funk noise rock power violence
This sort of thing is always embarrassing, I suggest you avoid it altogether.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I hope you stitched it to the back of a jean jacket for a sweet rigid backpatch

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Don't do this.

stay depressed posted:

while i wanted to believe for a very long time i dont think that pure moods release from DG is real
Yeah I wanted it to be real but when someone pointed out the volume it really didn't make any sense

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Also, mustard

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

somtt posted:

Hey guys I wish I knew about this thread earlier so I could post about some records I got yesterday. (I wish I could of went to rsd but I had to work). I bought the new Black Lips album even though it's not my fav album of theirs and I bought Colin Stetson's New History Warfare vol. 2: Judges (I was surprised it was their but not vol. 3)

http://i.imgur.com/l5PWaEo.jpg NWS
Hey remember how Wayne Gretzky was a really funny poster and you're very much not Wayne Gretzky?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

What's it like being this far up your own rear end?

stay depressed posted:

whats it like throwing stones in your glass house?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dissapointed Owl posted:

We're talking about movie soundtracks though. So just imagine I'd put 'movie' between the words 'identifiable' and 'themes' in that post. The one that was implied.
When the overall point that people are trying to make is that movie soundtracks are discussed disproportionately and you're insistent that we narrow the topic of discussion to just movie soundtracks, you are sort of proving their point, regardless of how recognizable John Williams' themes are.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

I hate it when people talk about records in this thread about records.
You want people posting about records, post about some loving records. There is absolutely no benefit to anyone done by this childish passive aggressive poo poo.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Personperson14 posted:

A soundtrack? WHY SL::WERWEW:F"EKDL:
This is a bad post, please don't do this.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

caiman posted:

The few MP3s I've downloaded from Amazon have all been < 320kps. But maybe they're the exception.
That's because 320 offers no quality benefit over the best VBR algorithms. For the most part, 320kbps partisanship is more due to superstition and ignorance than anything else. FLAC makes a little more sense as an archival format, but in a practical sense you will not be able to tell the difference during playback.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ras Het posted:

I think once you start listening to the best quality music possible, then you stop worrying about the record fidelity.
Haha, this is pretty insufferable even for you :)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Yes, he just found those pictures of records in cat litter boxes or with mustard sprayed on them, good sleuthing guys.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

You're complete and utter poo poo.
You need to learn to chill out dude.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hey man, Glass Houses is actually a good album. Yeah, it's Billy Joel trying to do punk in a way only Billy Joel would, but that makes it pretty good. Especially "Sometimes a Fantasy." A Billy Joel Punk Rock song about phone sex.
It's funny you mention this because I was just listening to this call from The Best Show on WFMU earlier with Jon Wurster and Jon Benjamin, "Danny Phipps from Glass Houses, America's Number One Billy Joel Tribute Band": https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=49399&archive=85399

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

theradiostillsucks posted:

Are there any legit great bands with two bassists? All I can think of are jazz/prog/metal dudes showing off like a bunch of buttholes or jam band type stuff, all of which I'd file more as a gimmick than a necessity.

Necromantia is very good (metal but not in the way that I think you're thinking of)