Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Creature posted:

I wasn't paying attention while putting Propaganda back into its jacket, and managed to undo the entire bottom seam. There was no tearing, just 50 year old glue finally giving up. :(

I need to repair a few others, so are there any recommended glues for record jackets or would any standard paper/cardboard glue be ok?

This one is really simple.

You literally just need a bead of Elmer's along the seam and a few books to lay on it while it dries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Holy crap, I think I just found someone's holy grail records just sitting in the bin of usual stuff at Goodwill.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

I was ripping a bunch of songs from my collection recently, using a line in from the preamp's monitor out into my laptop. I could still have the music on my bookshelf speakers to monitor when I needed to begin recording in Audacity (Audacity doesn't pipe through the music unless it's recording) and then mute the speakers after I start recording, since there's a slight delay between the two and it's not pleasant to hear.

As I was going along, ripping songs day after day, I was listening back to a track with a light piano opening, and noticed that there was this faint, ghostly pre-echo about half a second before the playing started. I figured it was always there but I hadn't heard it before. Then I noticed it in another recording. And another. And I figured out that the sound from my speakers was bleeding into the recording in Audacity somehow? I don't understand how, but I started muting my speakers before recording and no more :ghost: echoes.

Also if you're playing a louder song and don't have your speakers on, and you lean in towards the turntable, you can hear the unamplified music.

It is witchcraft

Did you switch to headphones?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's hard to find Rubber Soul without a split cover.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

A lot of that stuff is collecting dust in boomer basements and garages despite that they haven't owned a working turntable since Reagan was in office because they have "sentimental value". But mostly it's just that anything popular or famous gets snatched up fast whether it's in a record store, flea market or thrift store often even when it's completely trashed. Patience is key in this hobby unless you want to pay absurd premiums.

Live at Leeds is an amazing album and not just one of my favorite live albums but one of my favorite albums in general. Especially the expanded edition with the whole show.

I was so disappointed when I got Live At Leeds on vinyl after growing up with the CD.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

haljordan posted:

Nice, that Dokken album is a real gem. Also one of the best Friday the 13th movies.

You're making my eye twitch.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found Yazoo - Upstairs At Eric's at a thrift store today. Didn't realize it was a $15 record until I was adding it to my Discogs.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Stumbled upon a nice copy of Pigmeat Markham - Here Come The Judge at a thrift store.

Holy crap, this was released in 1968??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRS62nccwmw

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I collect early pressings of CDs and mainly go for rock, metal and 80s. Anything released before the loudness war ramped up should sound good. I'd say 1994 or so, if you're not sure just look for SID codes.. I especially look out for CDs made in Japan or West Germany for the US market.

Thrift stores were amazing a few years ago, but there's more people looking now. I can still regularly stumble upon a stack of good stuff. I just found a nice hair band dump last week.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Grabbed Pearl Jam and The Who, thanks.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

Grabbed Pearl Jam and The Who, thanks.

They just restocked the Flaming Pie 3LP if anyone wanted that.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

One of my $0 SoV records appeared today, no shipping notice or anything.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Who do they think they are? Limited Run Games?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

All three records I got for $0 + shipping are flooded on Discogs for basically $2-3 more than the cost of shipping was, haha.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

Still waiting for two of the three I ordered. Jesus Christ Superstar arrived Monday, no sign yet in Informed Delivery of Who Sell Out or Stage Fright :sigh:

I don't wanna have to start emailing with the "where's my records at" routine, goddamnit

Who Sell Out was the one that was delivered today so maybe you'll get it Monday.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It was meant to be heard on CD anyway. In a Honda Accord.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

RubberLuffy posted:

https://mondoshop.com/pages/the-record-shop

Mondo restocked their Castlevania game soundtracks.

drat, I was going to retire off my SotN record. At least I still have Katamari...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I held out as long as I could, but these cute little bastards are just too irresistible. Now I can pick up albums over lunch break and annoy my co-workers in the afternoons!

Now you can cosplay as Techmoan!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Early pre loudness war CDs sound great and I'm hoarding them to cash out someday.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Went thrift shopping this afternoon
no good record finds (there never are, are there)
but check out this CD stack for $3.88

Massive haul, grats

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just walked into my Goodwill and there was an Original Master Recording Dark Side Of The Moon just sitting in front inside of the first record crate.

I did a double take so hard I think I broke my neck.

End up with 20 classic rock records out of 100+ in the crates, sadly most were missing the inner sleeve and completely trashed.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

I just walked into my Goodwill and there was an Original Master Recording Dark Side Of The Moon just sitting in front inside of the first record crate.

Well, it didn't clean up like I hoped. It's pretty crackly throughout, but still enjoyable. I get to hear what the MFSL version sounds like for only a buck :buddy:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dorium posted:

send it to me and I'll clean it for you. I've got both a vacuum/bristle setup and an ultrasonic cleaner.

I did use a vacuum but still have to try to let the solution soak a bit and see if it gets more dust out. I might take you up on that though cause I'm curious about the ultra sonic cleaner.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's like night and day after a 2nd cleaning. The stuff must have really been stuck in there.

What would happen if I snorted this??

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Savers run yesterday.

Send me the Dokken :O

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

rockinricky posted:

Speaking of pre-orders, I made my pre-order for the new Judas Priest album, "Invincible Shield" which is set to release in March 2024.

The first single, "Panic Attack" was released yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_l-trEOtbk

If it's even half as good as Fire Power it'll be a must buy.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found a pretty beat original pressing of Trout Mask Replica for $6. Took a chance that it would clean up. The music is louder than the crackles, so I'm considering that a win! In all honestly, a light crackle under the music doesn't hurt this album...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's nice to see someone post a picture of an equalizer without a bunch of people jumping down their throat.

I have one in my setup but I just use it for the spectrum analyzer mainly.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mad props for still having Rockband hooked up in 2024.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You're not allowed to submit a release until you have it in hand.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

wa27 posted:

Might want to check your Walmarts. Mine had an end cap with a good amount of half price vinyl.

Three of these are gifts so you can't judge my taste. :hehe:

That Alanis was highly sought after at one point.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

John Carpenter's Lost Themes IV is up for pre-order on Sacred Bones website :getin:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dorium posted:

yeah I grabbed one of the sacred bones editions because I'm a sucker.

Same, I want the extra 7".

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

That's such a a shame, I loved the Joe Bob and city pop stuff.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The only thing anyone has ever messaged me about buying is my Weird Al Peter and the Wolf CD that I plan on being buried with.