Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Got my first turntable this year for Christmas, because clearly I needed another analog hobby.

I wasn't entirely sure if I'd really get into vinyl or not, but went for a pretty decent setup and have a handful of records now. I half expected to immediately be turned off by the pops and the clicks and everything, but I used to love listening to my dad's old record collection when I was younger.

Honestly, I'm really surprised how great everything sounds. I'm really enjoying getting up and flipping records over, and the whole routine. I find myself more actively listening, rather than just turning on spotify and zoning out on the couch for a few hours. It's been great.

Now I just need more records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

What did you get for gear

Denon DP-300F with a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge ... which might have been overboard for my first setup, but I'm loving it. The turntable's plugged into a Denon AVR-X2400H receiver, and Klipsch speakers.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Nothing says high fidelity quite like the offspring

I'm a classy woman.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Welcome to the thread and please enjoy my posting gimmick where I complain constantly and try to convince everyone this hobby is stupid and not worth it while actively buying records all the time.

I totally agree with everything you said.

And yet here I am.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Had my first record store experience. I spent more than I intended.

Ended up getting:

Pink Floyd: The Wall
Laura Jane Grace and the Devouring Mothers: Bought 2 Rot
Taylor Swift: Red Taylor's Version (apparently this is in 45rpm ooh fancy)
Less Than Jake: Anthem
System of a Down: Mezmerize

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Got a bunch of nerdy poo poo in the mail today. Can't wait to listen to it all.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Slightly jealous of that Streets of Rage 4. I debate whether it's worth tracking down a copy. I think it's way longer and has more songs than the bonus CD? Which is what I picked up cheap and the music on there grew on me. I wasn't sure I'd like it at first with out the limitations of a Genesis sound chip.

I got it from https://themateriastore.com/collections/video-game-soundtracks/products/streets-of-rage-4-3xlp-vinyl

They have so many awesome albums. I'll probably place another order soon.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

It's gonna be a Nintendo sorta night. :D

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Went into my local record store to buy Halestorm: Viscious that they got in stock.

Came out with Green Day: Insomniac and System of a Down: Hypnotize as well.

:dance:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Picked up the 2016 reissue of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Currently got it playing while I finish up work for the afternoon. Great album.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

dorium posted:

Does no one else keep a folder in their email just for stuff they pre-ordered so they don’t forget? Or just me.

I have a folder for all emails related to orders placed, and a folder for all emails related to shipping. So I can easily see what's coming at any given time.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Yes, I'm a huge nerd. Why do you ask?

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 14, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Stopped at the local record store on my lunch break. As usual they had a couple albums on the wall I couldn't resist.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

New acquisitions today!

Currently listening to the 6 album Celeste soundtrack while getting work done.

The 1982 pressing of Tron has, supposedly, never felt the touch of a needle. The vinyl looks utterly pristine. I'm going to hold off listening to it until my girlfriend, a huge Wendy Carlos fan, gets here next Tuesday.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Yoink

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Depression shopping led me to my local record store again... but I picked up a few bangers.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CatBlack posted:

hell yeah, SOAD. I've been waiting about 2 months for guitar center to send me my toxicity

Toxicity is the last SOAD I need

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I don't recognize the album, but that art and vinyl are amazing.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

New album day!

Halestorm's Back From The Dead and Tron Legacy.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

You're supposed to open the shrink?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Got MASTER BOOT RECORD's new album today and it slaps

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I don't care about the records I just want to see more of the print on that shirt.

gently caress it. Happy Pride ya'll!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

As to Master Boot Record I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to the new album, have his compositional skills improved?

They're still kinda samey by the end of the album, but it's interesting enough to sit through 4 sides of vinyl for me. Of course your mileage may vary.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Are slipmats worth it? As in, do they do anything?

I just think they're neat

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I just have the turntable setup on my home theater. Maybe I'll get a second setup for my bedroom at some point, but for now most my listening is done in the living room.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I'm a tool because I walked in the record store, pulled two Tool albums off the wall, paid, and left.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

cool goatse album

no ring

:colbert:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I'm the same, I bought both of those last month. Is that the Lateralus picture disc? Mine's nice and foily and looks cool but the disc itself is kind of noisy and I've read that that's because they're picture discs. It doesn't bother me much but I'm curious as to how you think it sounds.

It's definitely pretty noisy. Lots of pops and clicks compared to my other albums.

But it's so pretty.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 5, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

It's getting close to spooky season, and I wanted some spooky albums to play

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

I have both of those Majora's Mask albums, and they're good as hell.

I also have Rozen's Children of Termina, which is also awesome. Majora's Mask is so good.

So far I'm liking Time's End II the best of the three. Time's End seems to have more iconic songs, but the composition of II is so much better.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Discogs delivery day :dance:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Discogs delivery day! reliving my teenage angst.

I'm a sucker for colored vinyl

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 19, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

hexwren posted:

regardless of the music (i liked lacuna coil more tbh) that is some of the best color i have seen in a minute

Lacuna coil is great too. Haven't listened in ages though.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Seeing those on vinyl feels bizarre to me. Like strictly feels like they exist for a 00's FYE CD rack only, but somehow an alternate universe opened up and this happened.

Everything about my taste in vinyl feels weird to me. This is all winamp mp3 era stuff for me.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Stopped at the local record store, which ended up being a mistake because they had way too much that I wanted. Then got home and had a discogs delivery! So much music to listen to so little time.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

So I've been frustrated that the only place I can really listen to vinyl is my living room on the big surround sound system, and wanted something to use in my bedroom.

Ended up getting an audio technica AT-LP60XBT turntable and a pair of powered Micca speakers. Got everything setup and running today. Broke it in with Linkin Park Reanimation, wihch was a great choice.

The bluetooth feature is surprisingly nice for more private listening when I don't want to bother my roommate with music.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I actually really like the Tron soundtrack, so I'm excited to eventually get to hear more of her works. I haven't found any of her albums in the wild yet. I might do the next discogs order as a Wendy Carlos collection though.

In the meanwhile I've been picking up Clint Mansell albums. Easily my favorite composer.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Picked up Snoop, Muse, and a couple Christmas albums. Once again I can't help but wonder what the record store person thinks of my tastes in music.

pwn posted:

I used a bit of his score at the front of a short filmi made years ago, from the film Sonny.

Sonny's one of the few of his scored movies I don't know. I need to watch that.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Might be even more exciting than TSwift and Carly day.... my Marianas Trench albums arrived 3 days early :dance:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Got an single from an obscure trans musician. He was having a sale on his merch shop and I thought the square record was pretty dope.

He ended up sending me one of his CDs and a couple stickers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The Bowie Box is MASSIVE. What the gently caress. I did not expect it to be this big.