Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have you never heard people call RCA cables 'phono leads' or Aux sockets as 'phono sockets'? Maybe it was a European thing, but I've never heard any non audio nerd actually call them by the right name and it causes a ton of confusion.

Must be a Euro thing, I've never heard them referred to as that. Most people understand when you just say the cable with the red and white connectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Get something used. A lot of people will sell older receivers for cheap because they wanted them for home theater. This stuff will still suit your purpose. Just make sure it has a "phono" input and matches the maximum wattage of your speakers.

Absolutely this, go hit up a local Goodwill or Craigslist or something. $50 on an older used stereo receiver will be much better spent than $50 on a lovely Pyle mini-amp.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice username/post combo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Serious question here, and I swear I'm not trying to be a dick. Do you video game soundtrack guys, like, actually put those records on and listen to them? I can understand collecting them for the artwork, packaging, etc. but I can't imagine ever wanting to sit down and listen to NES music.

that said I have a loving spooky sound effects record I listen to around Halloween, so who am I to judge.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pingiivi posted:

Crazy Bus deserves a proper vinyl release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik

Now this I can get behind.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Speed it up by 1.5 and it sounds like Dan Deacon.

Reminds me of my old Speak & Spell, it got spilled on at one point and would only play weird variations of the start up sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNAqh4Mg9Q&t=9s

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You can get the Outkast discography for super cheap at Popmarket right now: https://www.popmarket.com/search?q=outkast

Get an extra 10% off with the POPMARKET10 discount code (or 20% with a first time purchase and the WELCOME20 code). I bought Speakerboxxx / The Love Below 4LP for 14 bucks, shipped.

drat, already sold out of Speakerboxx/Love Below it seems. =(

e: and Stankonia

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Got this awesome thing in the mail today.

It's not in the best condition and the book is tearing off but all the pages are in there and the record plays fine. It's totally a novelty but it's really really cool.

That rules. I had that album and Thrilling, Chilling Sounds of the Haunted House album when I was a kid, but they have been lost to time.

e: Phish started sampling/covering the Thrilling, Chilling Sounds album a few years back and that blows my mind.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ooh, I should go check the mail.

e: boo, no Drunk. I did buy all of these in the past month though

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 9, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel sorry for the murderers in there, for dealing with me.

Don't worry, they put monsters like you in solitary so as not to upset the general populace.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dope

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

Edit: I discovered I had a blown computer speaker once when I listened to Abbey Road and could literally only hear half of the instrumentation.

I literally had the same thing happen in a work vehicle. Didn't know the right speaker wasn't working until I tried to listen to Abbey Road.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Why is Demon Days so pricey in the first place? Was it just that limited of a run originally? I greatly prefer their first album, so maybe I'm just the odd one out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

revmoo posted:

what are some good art projects to do if you have, say, a hundred thrift store bargain bin records?

Team up with that sex-toy goon to make some vinyl monstrosity for record store day.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I hope that chair was like $150.

Just to be snarky I checked and yeah, each of those albums can be had for like $1 on discogs.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bunch of broke rear end goons ITT.

I think it looks great Barry.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Who are these idiot goons wasting money on Ikea storage when they could be scrounging for produce boxes in the dumpster behind the grocery store.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Thundercat - Drunk

e: a 4x10" vinyl release is the dumbest loving thing, too

Yeah, I love the album but it's a chore to listen to on vinyl.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

All you need is a record changer. Problem solved.

Hah, my 78 year old mother in law made fun of my record player because it didn't flip sides automatically like her old one did.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My man, is that a couch I spy in those pictures? You wasted money on that, when you could have just used garbage bags filled with packing peanuts?

e: oof, new page... I managed to rescue this 40 year old treasure from my parents attic over the weekend. tons of memories playing this over and over as a kid

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 7, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you can stretch your budget just a little, the Audio Technica AT-LP 120 is probably the best in the price range.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh cool, thanks! That's actually the exact one I just started looking at after reading some stuff on the googler. Do you think I'd run into any issues with a manufacturer refurb unit, or should I just buy new?

I buy manufacturer refurb stuff all the time, as long as it's got some sort of warranty and decent return policy I'd think you'd be fine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up the Melvins A Walk with Love & Death yesterday, and the 'Death' songs are pressed on the pink 'Love' album and vice versa.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

I wanted this so bad when I was a kid, and I found a copy at a thrift store yesterday for the princely sum of 99 cents.

It came with a rad book too.

That rules.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not exactly vinyl, but Dale Crover is at it again. They pressed a single from his new album onto a flattened out splash cymbal.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/products/thunder-pinky

Sold out in seconds naturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VEu6rRFIc

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 22, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Displaying them is the only reason for picture discs to exist, why would you even want a regular album cover?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a spin clean and don't think it would do a very good job with that. You would probably need to do a quick hand wash to get all the solid stuff off first.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I may need to ship a fair amount of individual records soon. Any good advice on how to do it safely?

I've gotten records in the mail that were just sandwiched between two larger pieces of corrugated cardboard, and taped along the seams. Never had a problem with that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Umm, have you not been to a record store where bins only have dividers for each letter? Those are the majority of ones I see. This one had dividers for each artist which I have only seen like two other times. Maybe it wasn’t clear enough that there were dividers between artists.

That's pretty normal for most of the stores I've been to.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

My suitcase is a tough plastic thing, so I’ve never had any issues bringing a few records back from places which has been nice.

A few is no problem, but lugging 20-30 records through airport terminals as carry on? I vote for ship em back separately.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Anyone here a VMP subscriber? Their hip-hop releases keep popping up and so far I have been able to resist, but I just saw they are doing a 2xLP for MF Doom's Mmm...Food, one of my favorite albums. Was wondering if people were happy with the service or not?

Aww poo poo, I've been trying to avoid VMP but I might have to give in for that.

e: my will is weak, at least I heard it's pretty easy to cancel later

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 18, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Great haul this weekend, can't believe all the rare finds!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Boinks posted:

Hell yeah, found a very nice copy of Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove with the 7" EP for $20.

Anyone want my old beater G+/G+ copy for cheap? It has surface noise during the quiet parts and a few spots where it ticks for a few rotations. Still a listenable copy though. Cover has a saw mark, blown out spine and small tear or scuff on the front. no 7".

I'll upload pics here:
:nws:https://imgur.com/a/pL37vf8

I just want $5 shipped with tracking, US only of course.

Awesome find! I'd love to take the old one off your hands, my favorite funk album and I shamefully don't own a copy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Boinks posted:

Great, I'm glad I could get it to someone here, I just sent you a PM.

This showed up yesterday, thanks again! Gotta confess I threw the surprise bonus Ludacris on first :350:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MF DOOM from VMP showed up today, and I'm super impressed with the quality. Definitely a step above pretty much any other new release I've picked up. I was originally going to cancel right away, but now I'm not so sure.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Asnorban posted:

I still don’t have Thundercat - Drunk because it is a 4x10”. I did the math a while back and it’s something like 7 minutes per side.

Yup, this is the one I was about to post. I hardly ever play it now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've ordered a ton of records from Amazon and they've all come in special record mailers and have been in perfect shape.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Last Melvins show I went to pretty much the only vinyl they had was a crate of really rare stuff and it was priced accordingly. They had a bunch of Altamont picture discs that I kinda wished I'd picked up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

My latest acquisition is better than your latest acquisition.

https://streamable.com/57cuv

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Big thanks to CPL593H for making me aware that Joyful Noise is doing a dope VIP package of Tropical gently caress Storm's A Laughing Death In Meatspace. 25 bucks, and that includes the monthly 5 dollar membership that you can cancel immediately afterward.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/collections/tropical-gently caress-storm/products/a-laughing-death-in-meatspace

It's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBnMYjYWYE

This is super good, hadn't heard of them before. Thanks!

e: less than 10 left if anyone else is on the fence

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 1, 2018