Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So in my cursory searching the first FPS with legs you can see (and shoot!) was Halo 1 in 2001. We just need to see if we can find an earlier title than that and it'll probably be our first because the gap in time between Quake's free-look revolution and Halo is like 5 years which isn't all that much time unless we count games where you pilot a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

Jurassic Park Trespasser is the earliest example I can thinking of... although, of course, that didn't have any legs at all, your "body" was just a floating pair of breasts with a single long, gibbon-like arm.

Yeah, I'm thinking we need an entire body to count, otherwise games where your gun animation shows your arms in it would count.

God Trespasser was a weird game I type as my arm flails and the shotgun wiggles like I'm swinging a measuring stick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Icept posted:

I remember playing some demo that had it, a sort of first person Tomb Raider. It came on a magazine cover CD.

Edit: Here it is, Montezuma's Return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVHbwSdoRv8

Definitely have legs and arms, torso is inconclusive. This is 1998 so now we have an itty-bitty window of time to look for an earlier game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

...did Breakdown have legs? I can't even remember now.

Breakdown has everything, including moving the camera realistically when you do slide kicks, uppercuts, and most nauseatingly flips. Seriously, don't use those moves in combat because you will get wrecked as you try to re-orientate yourself.

You can even see the pouches on your vest and stuff other games skip over too, and when you're in front of a reflective surface or not in your own body you can see the model they use for you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress yes. I need to fix my Xbox controller, I think.

Its back compatible on the Bone and if you have a BoneX its in 4k. The game is extremely of the half-life school of game design with way way more padding and less design skill, frequently does poo poo thats unfair because you lack the controls to do what they want you to do, and on top of that is just in general hard as steel.

I made it sound like dogshit but everyone should play it, its really unique and did inventive stuff with the player character and UI that wouldnt be done again for years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is Cthon from Quake the worst designed boss in an FPS ever? Signs point to yes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

At least he's not a wall.

Problems with bosses is that they're the last thing that players will see, and the game ends after that. So basically time spent designing the boss is time that is mostly wasted; it's better to have good regular enemies that players will see all the time and crappy bosses than good bosses and crappy regular enemies.

I think it depends on how the fight is constructed if a boss is good or bad; the more unique mechanics that dont appear again the worse it usually is. If your game is about shooting things a boss fight where you shoot the thing is 9 times out of 10 better than a bossfight where you use mechanics that didnt come up before or after.

Granted their are tooooons of ways to mess it up like invulnerability phases, precise aiming, or no time to be in the open turning the fight into a cover shooter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will drag you all kicking and streaming through Breakdown if I have to, it loving rules.

And seriously, it is absolutely unforgiving hard as balls cruelty on normal and if any human being ever beat it on hard I would assume they were actually a replicant.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TNC took like every single thing I didn't like about TNO/TOB and kept them and then added piles of awful mechanics on top of it that absolutely nobody was asking for. Somewhere in the time that the mechanics designer was running wild and free-associating the level designer was quietly fired and replaced by a box turtle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't think so--at least, it hasn't been significantly improved since I last played it a couple of months ago. Maybe they tweaked it a little, but the whole feedback system is still weirdly underwhelming. I'm not an expert at what's wrong with the system or how you would improve it, I just know that it sucks compared to virtually every other FPS game I've played in the last year or two.

Shadow Warrior 2 has the exact opposite issue; Id take hits from things thinking Id lost a huge chunk of health or get hit a bunch if times and then check my hp and Id be at 118 out of 130 with half a dozen medpacks lying around. Irritatingly the only actually lethal thing is lava and that kills you so fast and its warning you took damage so minor your usually dead before you notice its happening.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know, I'm half torn between ragging on Quake's shotguns for being underpowered and half-ragging on Quake for not having any good low or medium-health threats outside of the base-style maps. It doesn't help that the Zombies which in any other FPS would be a one hit kill swarmer are only susceptible to explosive or quad powerup damage so the one "weak" enemy type for the other 4/5ths of the games levels can't even be dealt with your weak weapons anyway.

It also dawned on me on this playthrough thats probably supposed to be an axe the ranger has, I've just assumed it was a shovel because I've never used it to kill anything ever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

the nucas posted:

if you'd told me 20 years ago i would grow to hate both developers that had touched the half-life franchise i would have laughed in your face but here we are.

3/4 developers who worked on Half-Life games at this point suck.

Taito, I'm watching you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Who was the developer, that threw bees at some employee?

Stardock

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played Shogo and all I can remember is boy loving howdy do you die fast, explosions being ripperous hell portals to the death dimension.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think every single video game I can think of that is entirely or even pimarily on a ship is dire. Like the best one I can come up with is merely "ok" unless we allow games where you play as a boat/move the boat as core gameplay.

Carrier is hot trash for the person wondering.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I enjoy the game Outtrigger and think its single player was exactly the sort of single player an arena shooter should have.

I am also the only person i think to ever own a copy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darkwatch: Curse of the West needs a spirtual successor because the elevator pitch of "Vampire Cowboy" absolutely needs more games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Damnation was an absolutely poo poo game but by god it let me shoot a truckload of confederates and there need to be more FPS games where I get to do that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wow. Wolfenstein 2 does not get better.

Its like they gave everyone pay raises before firing the entire level design department.

Please do not insult the head of map making, a box turtle named Zoomy

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 18, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite map of doom 2 is suburbs and i dont care who knows

Barudak
May 7, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Q1.5 is making me think that Ogres are actually pretty garbage enemies in terms of design.

They are garbage design.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ogres are perfectly interesting enemies, but theyre wildly over designed and healthy for what is very quickly like the basic enemy of the game.

fadam posted:

My only big problem with the Ogre is that on Nightmare they take like one more shotgun shot to kill than they should imo

That's been my experience with most Quake enemies so far. They're fun to fight, but they're kind of bullet spongey.

The expansion which adds enemies looked at this problem and went, yeah whats wrong with the enemies in this game is there isnt a bullet spongey one for the base levels, lets fix that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

anatomi posted:

In the future, difficulty selection menus will scan your mind and hit you with your deepest secrets and weaknesses.

Select Difficulty

I should eat better
I will one day die
>I will die alone
Its my fault she left

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

Didn't Megaton edition come out in 2013? :v:

Yeah, thats why hes so hosed up. He didnt see a 3d game until last year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

I sorta figured it was more Halo's fault, given the rocket launcher got some further life beyond Half-Life via Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, at the very least. Then Halo came and had to balance such a weapon so that it wasn't overpowered compared to every other gun (so it'd fit in nicely with the whole can-only-hold-two-weapons thing), and making it hella powerful but sparse ammo was their solution.

That said, even then, it's less Halo's fault and more the fault of everyone trying to ape Halo's every innovation without analyzing too closely as to why those decisions were made.

I was actually about to argue it isnt halo's fault. They have a rocket launcher, its good, and you love having it and eveey game in the series has had multiple variations of it. Id argue what killed the rocket launcher as a standard weapon is the movement away from having high jumping height or even a jump at all. When you cant reliably use the weapons splash aoe its not very satisfying to watch the missile zoom off into the ether doing nothing while you get shot.

Add in that the trend in games for FPS also became semi-realisitic war games and in war we dont strap soldiers with rocket launchers unless there is a specific need so they got the axe from that end too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

These are very good points but in the spirit of full disclosure I should probably reveal to you that Matrix 2 is my favorite Matrix.

My friend, you are not alone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not sure why were talking about the greatest film ever made, Speed Racer, in the FPS thread but hell yeah.

I got Strafe for free and felt ripped off. I also got Strife for free and Ive never played a game where I lost interest faster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

I'm surprised, how far did you get? As soon as you get a proper gun the game gets pretty fun, but I concede the electric crossbow is a pretty unsatisfying weapon.

Ah shoot its not Strife, I cant remember the name of it now and would need my computer to check since I cant remeber the name and searching "generic FPS garbage twitch gave away a free" isnt narrowing down the results.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nah, it was a Marathon looking game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanine posted:

would you guys agree halo is kind of the border between "oldschool" and "newschool" fps games?

What are we considering New School? Because to me Medal of Honor is an ancient progenitor of what Id call new shooter style and that came out on the Playstation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean its fun to trace ancestry of mechanics and genres, same as film. I dont think anyones looking to banish discussion of certain games with it*, just better catalog the stuff were talking about.

Id probably also split FPS games into more than just two eras; Midi Maze for instance is a predecessor and distinct from what most of what this thread discusses

*Retrogaming in reddit is loving dire. GBA is retro, Dreamcast is not despite you know, their launch dates and life spans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its any consolation someone will hack your coffin to run Doom

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallom posted:

People went back to Half-life 2 to find something to compare it to

Due to the idea of how the campaign is laid out and not how the gameplay works, thank god.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For me Half-Life 2 is the ur FPS containing every single FPS feature I don't like and mechanic I hate, creating the deep valley between the peaks of the previous generation of FPS games and the new resurgence of FPS games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imagine if Max Payne 3 actually let you skip the cutscenes.

Also imagine if the Max Payne movie wasnt hot trash

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One, single floppy arm wiggling all over creation picking things up like a tentacle

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd go with this for most obscure:

Never even heard about it before that post, didn't find anything about it on the English-speaking web.

That's because its name in English is Contract J.A.C.K.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

3D graphics pioneerism from the early to mid-90s just fascinates me. I love those exotic and gimmicky attempts to render 3D as quick as possible for videogames. Is there more weird (for today's standards at least) examples besides Talisman's tile rendering and Sega Saturn's quads?

Sure but wed need to get inside John Carmacks mind and Im not sure mankind is ready for whats in there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

The 1994 DOS game Ecstatica built everything except the pre-rendered backdrops out of gourad-shaded spheres.

The sequel tried to pull the same tricks at a higher resolution, but it didn't come out until a year after Quake, so the novelty had kind of worn off by then.

I'm going to say this; Ecstatica might be one of the most viscerally ugly games I've ever seen in motion and the fact that it was heralded for its graphics is just a testament to how poo poo 3D was until Quake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

david_a posted:

lol I don’t have the time to watch this now but the werewolf(?) absolutely hammering the protagonist with full wind-up haymakers is hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SsR5fPjGu4

Wait until near the end when the main character rides the nigh-uncontrollable aggressively backfiring broomstick.