Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Narcissus1916 posted:

Do headshots do more damage than body blows? I was running around so frenetically in combat that I couldn't tell much of a difference.

My player's guide says that headshots to triple damage, but shots to armor do less. So hitting a Marine in the face does a ton of damage, but hitting the helmet doesn't do much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

closeted republican posted:

Q2's hand grenades are pretty clunky to use at first, but when once you get used to them, they can be pretty effective. With some skills, they're one of the most useful weapons you can have before you get an actual grenade launcher. They can clear out groups of weak enemies or take down medium-strength enemies just as well as the Machine Gun can, but you don't have to deal with ridiculous recoil.

And when you do get the grenade launcher, IIRC regular hand grenades do more damage and have a slightly larger splash. They're never really useless, but I always preferred using the chaingun.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm slowly playing through Alien Vendetta for my first time and it must be said how nice the levels are. They look nice, have a consistent theme in each level, and are just hard enough to ironman through with a couple of deaths. I don't know why it took me so long to pick it up, but wow.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Top Gym Pumper posted:

http://ux.getuploader.com/SgW/download/75/d-radys_v62_fix.zip

Click this button to download it.

Comes with a manual that might be worth taking a look at. Each class is pretty different, with particular abilities and weapons that they can use. If you find a store spawner item you can call a guy from Killing Floor to sell you stuff. Look up and down to navigate his menu, bind a key to Store:Enter in the options to make selections. Binding the Strife popup keys will let you bring up a big ammo list.

This is actually a lot of fun. I love that one class is "totally not Heretic", because the melee weapon is a shovel :pseudo:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

laserghost posted:

The single-player UT2k4 campaign inspired by original Unreal is called Operation Na Pali, it's on moddb. Also did anyone played that cowboypunk mod, Damnation, which later became a standalone game? I think it, along with Painkiller Resurrection, killed the "mods becoming full commercial games" thing that was going since Doom 2.

Damnation is a lovely game, which is a shame because the levels are amazing. The first level is just breathtaking in its verticality.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress them, UT3 sucked balls and deserved to die in a fire.

Holy poo poo I remember playing the story mode one time and it was ungodly terribad.

I really enjoyed the UT3 story mode.

Of course, I played it coop with three other people and we were all laughing at how stupid the goddamn plot was, and ended up with the most tense game of CTF I have ever been in when the host accidently played the Instagib card on the second-to-last map. Three minutes later, we're down 0-2. Twenty minutes after that, we win 3-2. It was the best round of UT3 I have ever played.

Then the final level came around and it was stupid again.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Sounds like they want in on those sweet sweet TF2 dollars. I'm pretty okay with that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I don't care how much you did or did not like DNF, a stroke is a terrible thing to happen to anyone. I hope he comes out okay :(

Dominic White posted:

Yeah. I honestly wouldn't recommend the vanilla Doom 2 campaign anymore, as there are vastly better levels available. The core heart of Doom's gameplay, though? Rock solid. As much as some purists might bitch there's a ton of potential variants that can be spun off it, but the mix of enemies, guns, speed and fragility is key.

And just to piss some people off, I'd suggest Hellbound as a solid campaign replacement. Same concept (Hell on Earth), but goes much further with it, and does scale, coherency and setpieces better than Doom 2 ever did. It has some low points (as you'd expect from 32 large maps by one guy), but nothing even close to the worst parts of Doom 2.

Since you're going to make a suggestion to piss people off, suggest Hellbound with Brutal Doom running on Doomsday or something. Go for the full angry-nerd trifecta.
It's Doomier than Doom!

I don't think I'd suggest Scythe as a Doom campaign replacement unless something is done about the final few levels. I got to Hatred, I think, and it just stonewalled me. I did every other level in three lives or so, but I just couldn't kill the hundreds of revenants and dozens of cyberdemons required. Something with a bit smoother difficulty progression would be better.

efb.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

ExMortis posted:

And yeah the last couple levels of Scythe 1 are rough, but I have never once bothered beating any Icon of Sin "legit" and I managed them, so... plus difficulty levels exist?

I was playing on HMP :gonk:

I'm not good at Doom.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Pssst! Uncle Ben's makes rice, not cereal. :ssh:

Isn't rice a cereal grain?

Vote Uncle Ben the next character for Samsara. Cajun Spiced Demon Pilaf anyone?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

laserghost posted:

But you know what I liked? The PS2 version of Half-Life. You can even connect the USB keyboard and mouse, and it plays really nice, with improved visuals. And it has a co-op mini campaign, which was fun to blast thru with a friend. Not exactly TimeSplitters-good, but I'm still reccomending this.

The co-op got remade as a mod to PC HL1 and released. It's pretty good, even if the final fight is really dumb.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MrBims posted:

Because no one actually wants to do Exclamation Mark quests in an FPS.

Borderlands would like to say otherwise.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is Action Quake 2 still worth playing today? I know nothing about it, other than it's supposed to be more realistic (my sister's boyfriend was nuts for it back in the day), and I'd like to give it a try. Is it singleplayer or multiplayer only?

It's multiplayer only, sadly, bit it is absolutely worth playing. I was just plating with some friends a month or so ago and it's just as brutal as ever.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Elliotw2 posted:

You can add the individual folders into a launcher, but really you should use their launcher. Make sure you check both DoomRL folders, and the two DoomRL wads if you want those in it.

It's also possible to compile the bits you want to use into a pk3, but then it's more trouble to update stuff.

When I tried the launcher I couldn't get it to work, it just crashed at startup. Any suggestions?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
While we're talking about Demonsteele, is there a good "how to play" video or text post or something? I'm pretty terrible at it and keep getting hit by fireballs and other stuff that should be inconsequential, while never seeming to get my rank above C :downs:

Also Scythe 2 is a great mapset for Demonsteele, it's what I'm starting with. Maybe I should have picked an easier wad or something I'm familiar with, but see the above :downs:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Side note, I loving love "Going Down". Haven't beaten it completely yet, but it seems like every couple of levels has a really neat mechanic going on that I don't usually see in MegaWADs. For example, "Demonology" has a narrow room that is filled with pillars, except there are triggers all over the place to drop each of the pillars, revealing an enemy. The first time, you might stumble over one, causing an enemy to appear from behind, and as you spin around and backpedal, you set off another pillar, and then two more, and it's just a hectic (but really cool) mess.

I love "Dead End" for the same reasons. Step somewhere, walls drop and enemies pour out. Move somewhere to kill them, more walls drop, more enemies. Move to a previously cleared room and the walls drop with even more. I don't think I stopped moving and firing after the first 30 seconds of that map.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Tippis posted:

That means it's time for more leftovers:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=NCryUSY*Z2exbNyY — Dark Forces II

Grabbed this one, thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alain Post posted:

Quake 2 isn't classic. It blows.

See this is a fight worth having. Quake 2 isn't the best game in the world but it's still fun :colbert:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alain Post posted:

The levels suck rear end compared to Quake and the rocket launcher blows. The railgun is cool I guess.

Hey now the hub level system was terrible but it was way better than the thematic freakout that is Quake, even if thematic freakouts are pretty much the entire plot of Quake. Big Gun was horseshit though, I'm still pissed they didn't let me fire the gun.
The rocket launcher was an awesome area denial weapon. It doesn't anywhere near as fast as the Q1 rockets and that's a good thing. If I want to snipe someone across the level I'll use the sleek armor-piercing hypersonic railgun slug instead of the big heavy shell packed full of high explosives.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Quake 2 was a lot more fun on the Nintendo DS (the homebrew port) than it was on the PC.

I never got around to trying that. I should one of these days.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MONKET posted:

IIRC There actually was someone making a Dangan Ronpa-style dialogue mod and in his test video there was a delightfully awkward romantic love-confessing conversation between the doomguy and a programmer schoolgirl.

IIRC Terminus has a couple mockups of this sort of thing for the various powerups in Demonsteele. I hope they get added some day.

*FLIRTY GUN NOISES*

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
On map23 of Going Down, how the gently caress am I supposed to get the yellow key in the bedroom? I've gotten everything else in the map and humped every wall, why won't you give it to me :argh:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That was it, thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Segmentation Fault posted:

guys let me tell you about this mod that makes doom even doomier

Aeons of Death? Yeah, it's pretty great.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, guys... Going Down's 'Time Warp' floor, holy poo poo :psyduck:

It just keeps getting weirder from there. I thought it couldn't get any weirder once I hit map 18 or so, but the insanity has just kept going.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

According to the little talky-talk before last year's closed-door Doom 4 demo, all these meshings of demon and technology are the result of "secret and corrupt UAC experiments". So, there you go: Some scientists thought it'd be a cool and good idea to strap a jetpack covered in rocket launchers to a constantly-screaming skeleton in meat pants. :ms:

Sounds like most scientists I know, yeah.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Seconding to try Raidy's. I grabbed it last time it came up in the thread and bit is gloriously batshit.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a silly law that makes it harder to track how many shots I have left and means I constantly go "OH 80 SHOTS THAT'S PLENTY" then "HEY WHY AM I OUT OF SHOTGUN AMMO :downs:" 40 shots later, though. :v:

Do you have the same problem with the vanilla SSG, or do you use one of those cheat :airquote:beautification:airquote: wads that lets you fire single barrel? What's the point of having two barrels if you don't use them?!

My reasoning is best because it make the Half-Life shotgun the best videogame shotgun of all time, since it can fire two shells out of one barrel. Clearly that's the important metric to be shooting against.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, I do, although less so since the regular shotgun is also in-game.

I'm not saying make it single-fire, I'm saying make it so one ammo unit = both barrels.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I was just making a joke.

FWIW I like having the two-shots-per-fire ammo display, but I realize it's not for everyone.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Doom wads that focus on kickass magic powers? I'm bummed that Hellraid got cancelled and I can decimate demons with dope thaumaturgy.

Psychic?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Shooting Monsters With Guns lets you dual the shotgun with either the pistol or chaingun replacement, depending on what exactly needs to die.

It also lets you climb up taller monsters with the claw melee weapons, which was always one of my favorite things.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Please replay Point of View if you want endless corridors or samey nothing. I made it all the way through Azure Sheep including the completely bullshit Apache fight at the end that I had to shoot down with mp5 grenades, but I got so lost in PoV that I quit halfway through. Please tell me it's worth playing through again.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Anyone have $3500 USD burning a hole in their pocket? How about a lantern?

Own your own Cacolantern!

That thing is creepy and amazing. I'll stick with my plush Caco, thank you very much.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
How do I get the doomRL arsenal hud to pop up? I'm runninng DoomRPG+RLA, and binding buttons to any of the RLA commands does nothing. My batch file is:

..\gzdoom -savedir ..\saves\doomrpg\ -config ..\saves\doomrpg\doomrpg.ini -iwad doom2.wad -file "..\wads\levels\scythe.wad" -file "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_Arsenal_1.02.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_HUD.1.02.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_Monsters_Beta_6.2.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG-RLArsenal" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG-RLMonsters"

Also, how do I get my current armor and boots to show up above my healthbar like in nexus6's video?

man I thought I was good at computers, then fuckin doom kicked my rear end.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Yeah, I haven't updated yet, was playing while Payday 2 was updating.

How do I specify a HUD size?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I just end up with this:

Pressing my doomRLA buttons does nothing.

e. I have both boots and armor equipped.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

dis astranagant posted:

I actually sat down and read your giant command line and it looks like you have the wrong file name for the hud.

Well I'll be damned, that was it. I grabbed all that from the github but it looks like I just screwed up the wad naming. Thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

GlitchThief posted:

I had been playing through TNT Evilution to get back up to speed on Doom, but decided to give Scythe another go on a whim last night. gently caress Evilution! I had forgotten just how punchy and engaging Scythe is.

I played through about half it, even finding one of the secret maps, and I'm crazy about it. With other wads, I'd slog through a level and then get discouraged when I die halfway through. Scythe levels are short, without sacrificing exploration, and each fight feels meaty and purposefully designed. Very little filler and plenty of challenges without the cheap shots.

I'm honestly worried I won't want to play any other wads once I beat this.

Just keep in mind the last third or so of Scythe gets very monster-dense and MAP30 is pretty much the anthisis of the WAD. I still haven't bothered to beat it. The rest of Scythe is amazing, though, and it's my go-to wad for playing new stuff.

Once you've finished it, go on to Going Down. It's pretty much Scythe 2 without being the unfocused too-large levels of actual Scythe 2.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dominic White posted:

I know that Stronghold managed to wrangle monsters into following set paths en-masse, but I'd imagine that for any kind of memory of patrol paths you'd have to get seriously jazzy.

Thinking of Stronghold makes me remember Shotgun Frenzy. Has there been an update in the last five years or so? I miss the X Hero Siege-style gameplay SF had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Keiya posted:

Yeah, true. Though it doesn't always help when there's excellent training anyway... Skullgirls covers basically everything you could want to know, but the fighting game genre is just impenetrable to me.

I checked out the tutorial for Skullgirls in the demo thinking it might help, but they really just had a bunch of movelists without a legend. That didn't really help me.