Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

iceaim posted:

Do you guys think there would be interest in a indie developed old school game in the same tradition of Doom or Duke where the first episode was released free, and then rest could be bought on gog / steam / iOS for say 5.99 so the project could at least break even?

I really want to get into game development, and I'd love to hire a team to make something like this. The reason I choose to go the professional route is so this can be developed rather quickly instead of done during someone's spare time as a hobby. Despite this, I intend on putting a lot of creative love into something like this.

I have plenty of project management experience as well as software and website development experience. There would be no kickstarter, I can self fund something like this myself. So it's all about finding time to start this, which I hope to have in maybe 2 to 3 months.

Although I intend on using my existing coders (though I always make exceptions for exceptional coders), I would be interested in hiring map designers and artists who are established in the Doom and Duke community.

I intend on making this project totally open source too.

That sounds pretty cool. A lot of indie games are deliberately old school now, so I'm sure there's an audience for it. I forget the name of it, but there was a game with sort of the same idea, made on the Quake engine. It had a sort of Megaman Zero-inspired look and really nice sprites, but played more like Wolf3D than other old school FPS games (it was a bit weird/janky/bad in that respect).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Are UT99 and 2k4's multiplayers still active much?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Tiger Schwert posted:

I think there's a growing notion that's really enthused with the notion of Doom as an engine, as a framework, as a carte blanche style game that's had so many mods over the years that you can sort of pick and choose what you like - and along with those, the tech sort of side which loves to see just what can be done with all the sourceports. This notion clashes heads frequently with those attracted to Doom for its raw focused gameplay, for that intelligent viscera, for smart maps, for speedruns. I think it's really very hard to be in both camps on this (and it's probably incredibly obvious which camp I'm in!). Perhaps this is the argument we're seeing right now, and I sort of wonder if DECK will help with this.

Lmao dude all you really have to do is not be bothered by people creating things for the Doom engine that you do not like. It does not affect you in the least.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

TerminusEst13 posted:

What?
Saying that there are two distinct camps that like Doom, those that love it for its original gameplay and those that love to tweak it and make it something else, has absolutely nothing to do with being bothered.

I am in the completely opposite camp as him and love playing and making gameplay mods and he's still pretty much right so ???

Tiger Schwert posted:

This notion clashes heads frequently with those attracted to Doom for its raw focused gameplay, for that intelligent viscera, for smart maps, for speedruns. I think it's really very hard to be in both camps on this (and it's probably incredibly obvious which camp I'm in!). Perhaps this is the argument we're seeing right now, and I sort of wonder if DECK will help with this.

There's no one "clashing heads" over this until it devolves into "Stop Liking What I Don't Like".

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Random question: is there a way to force gzdoom to run in nonstandard refresh rates in full screen mode? I ask because I am using an overclocked monitor that gets reset to 60hz when I set gzdoom
to my native resolution.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

The Kins posted:

Quake Live and its litany of... interesting recent design choices come to Steam tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aNG7cd7rGM
That new announcer sounds terrible.

"Here's all the things that won't be happening in this game now. Enjoy!" - Bethesda

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Whaddya mean? It's so much fun when people can spawn with the railgun. :psypop:

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

QW/CPMA movement has a high skill ceiling but the basic techniques are not that hard. If "jump while turn mouse then repeat" is too hard for a player, they are probably not going to develop their skills far enough to do the other things in an arena shooter all that well either.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I don't play Quake at a high level, but the basics of the game are not some secret David Sirlin Yomi bullshit. CoD gets more mileage out of its marketing budget, a style of play suited to console control schemes, and a slick schlocky singleplayer than its accessibility. CS is hard as heck too and it's still huge.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

They should also add a comeback mechanic -- some sort of blue-tinted, spiky rocket that homes in on the opponent and impairs their ability to use "cheap" movement tactics like hitting spacebar rhythmically.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

See here's the thing: no one said you had to stop playing Doom because Carmack has bad opinions.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

closeted republican posted:

Hello early FPS thread, I took the challenge to play Nitemare 3-D after learning of problematic Arab stereortypes in a game I previously championed, Operation Bodycount. However, instead of just going through level 1 and calling it quits, I got through as much of level 2 as I could before the game became too much for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLwpvZlPyXA

I was concerned with the game's diversity. The main character, the antagonist, and most of the enemies are white. Frankenstein's Monster is is a grey color, though I am not sure if it is meant as a slight against PoCs or not. The skeleton character looked male as well, which is upsetting. Where are the women skeletons at?

Another problematic issue is that the plot is based on the player saving their girlfriend from a mad scientist. However, a woman enemy is probably the strongest out of all the foes I faced in the and does not wear a revealing outfit, so I feel that it cancels out.

Generally though, I'd say that the same is good for those looking for safe, non-problematic FPS games. When playing, I did not find any triggering racism nor sexism, which means the game should be safe for anyone to enjoy. I have not found any troubling statements about women and PoC from the creator as well, which made all of iD's games unplayable for me. I hope that the modding tools and source code are released so that we can all enjoy modding a great game that has very little offensive content and keep shitlords away from a safe space.

Misogyny: of out 5 John Carmacks

Racism: out of five Sergeant_Mark_IVs

Overall: out of 5 Arivias

(This game is a huge piece of poo poo. DO NOT PLAY THIS.)

You forgot your #gamergate hashtag, scrub.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

spongeh posted:

Hi all, I work on Quake Live and hang out in #SAGameDev and people there told me to post here. Tell me how I am worse than Hitler for adding loadouts and the HMG. Also, while not strictly FPS related, I found this, backed it up, and was the first person in 25 years to experience this:

thanks for listening.

What committee of faceless corporate lackeys decreed that Quake Live had to be ruined? Or is the dev team just that stupid?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

It might be fun to try with Brutal Doom as well.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Brutal Doom is degenerate art.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Stop getting trolled by this guy's gimmick, wow. Y'all are too easy.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

That launcher is pretty slick. It even has a shortcut button to open Quake Injector.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

That was a really tedious carepost about a game totally unrelated to the topic of the thread.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Not to sound like a broken record from a page or so ago, but we've barely seen any of the single-player game. I'd like to see or play a good ten minutes somewhere past the cinematic tutorial where you first get the shotgun etc. What are the levels like, how's the flow? We don't know yet. But my vibe based on how they've described it and talked about it is very positive, and I like what we've seen so far.

Who are you trying to convince?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

2007: BioShock, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Crysis
2008: Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2
2009: Borderlands, ARMA 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Wolfenstein (2009)
2010: Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Fallout: New Vegas
2011: Battlefield 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Portal 2, Bulletstorm
2012: Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Planetside 2
2013: Battlefield 4, Metro: Last Light, Shadow Warrior (2013)
2014: Wolfenstein: The New Order, Far Cry 4
2015: Battlefield Hardline, Fallout 4

Upon reading this, my struggle to understand why some of the posters in this thread reflexively rush to defend Doom (2016) has been resolved.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Slow, ugly, boring, and visually derivative. Huge dumb obstructive weapon models - oh joy! Is there anyone who actually thinks elaborate melee takedowns in a (supposedly) fast arena FPS is a good idea? No one is going to be playing this by the end of the year lmao.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Told you so.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

I don't like Duke and Shadow Warrior, because the characters are Problematic. Please give me headpats and sex, ladies

It's actually objectively good that Duke and the original incarnation of Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior are now considered in poor taste.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Curdy you need to relax, brother.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

As far as Bioshock Infinite being wishy-washy liberal crap goes, they have the game's number. WSWS is a Trotskyist website so their oddly specific complaint about how the game portrays anarchism has more to do with sectarianism than anything else.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Is it just me, or did the AO get a lot blurrier and SMAA no longer work with the new Turok 2 patch?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

QC is going to be dead on arrival.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

It's actually sensible to discuss it here because early FPS games were controversial in their time and many courted it purposefully. The lovely politics are often an inextricable element of the games themselves. Wanting all that to just go away is what's tone-deaf.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

It's likely you want v-sync on (in the Nvidia control panel only), actually. per: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Blur Busters posted:

This update led to recurring confusion, creating a misconception that G-SYNC and V-SYNC are entirely separate options. However, with G-SYNC enabled, the “Vertical sync” option in the control panel no longer acts as V-SYNC, and actually dictates whether, one, the G-SYNC module compensates for frametime variances output by the system (which prevents tearing at all times. G-SYNC + V-SYNC “Off” disables this behavior; see G-SYNC 101: Range), and two, whether G-SYNC falls back on fixed refresh rate V-SYNC behavior; if V-SYNC is “On,” G-SYNC will revert to V-SYNC behavior above its range, if V-SYNC is “Off,” G-SYNC will disable above its range, and tearing will begin display wide.

Within its range, G-SYNC is the only syncing method active, no matter the V-SYNC “On” or “Off” setting.

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 13, 2018

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That doesn't seem right. I play with vsync off and never see any tearing under any conditions.

E: Ah, it only matters < 30 fps and > monitor fps, so that's why I never see tearing. I generally play at around 100-120 fps, and my monitor goes up to 144, at which point vsync is moot if you have gsync. But yeah, if I was rendering at 150fps or 29fps then I'd want it on I guess. But if that was the case, I'd change the graphics options lmao.

Eh, the whole article is worth a look. Admittedly, the passage I quoted is a bit terse and jargony. My takeaway: when the monitor is in its G-Sync range with "V-Sync" enabled in the Nvidia control panel, the V-Sync setting does not enable traditional V-Sync. Instead, it enables the feature on the G-Sync module that compensates for uneven frametimes. Another important bit is to always cap your framerate below G-sync's maximum refresh rate, but that makes more intuitive sense.

Frametime is the latency between each frame rendered (you can calculate the "optimal" frame latency in milliseconds by dividing 1 by the refresh rate). Uneven frametimes don't cause screen tearing, but instead cause microstutter. Microstutter won't cause screen tearing. Subjectively, microstutter is hard to describe but easy to identify. It basically makes games look like they're running at a much lower framerate than they actually are. Also a chronic problem with SLI and crossfire setups, as an aside.

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 13, 2018

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Cops were no better in 2005, when SWAT 4 came out. The only difference is the extent to which police activity and pro-police propaganda has been challenged publicly. SWAT 4 was also copaganda.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

How about a SWAT game where the characters openly anguish over imperfect actions in an imperfect system, written by David "stop scaring Tucker Carlson" Simon.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

It's wilder still that you smear Civvie as a CHUD enabler, someone who obviously does not endorse the content of the Postal games and even adds an explicit disclaimer reminding viewers of this fact, out of fear of seeming unwoke.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

The one recurring/baffling complaint I've seen about Doom Eternal is about the game having too many new gameplay mechanics. I agree that there's a learning curve compared to the last game and that the pace of the game is significantly altered (for the better IMO) but it's not like the new stuff is situational or useless bloat either.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Having mostly lurked these threads for a while, I've concluded that discussion of Doom Eternal on SA has been so bad that it's made me wish for Twitter-style keyword filters to be ported over here.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Wild T posted:

I mean, Quake is literally about taking the works of noted racist Howard Phillip Lovecraft and blowing them to pieces with shotguns and grenade launchers to a soundtrack by notably left-wing artist Trent Reznor.

I bet Ranger says Trans Lives Matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvaU9CaSeCE

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

i've never said this about any other singleplayer game but the people who dump on Doom Eternal do nothing but telegraph how little they care to understand the game's mechanics. the whole point was to balance the options in such a way as to incentivize the player to get good at using various weapons and cooldown abilities based on the situation at hand. why would you want abuse a handful of options that work in every situation like 2016 did and play less of the game as a result?

I can't tell if this line of thinking comes out of not being proficient at the game at all and/or a ton of very strongly-felt preconceived notions about how it should work or what. the platforming sections do suck tho

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

site posted:

i guess it never occurred to you that we may understand what they want us to do just fine, we just don't like it

yeah none of the criticism suggests this at all

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

site posted:

somehow, this being beyond you does not seem surprising given the tone of your previous post

yeah i just didn't like the specific complaints about the game being made and decided to share that view, so nyah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

The gameplay in 2016 was fantastic specifically because it let you deal with situations with whatever tools you felt were best for that situation, rather than what the game pushed you into using. Eternal prescribed each tool for each situation (complete with a totally pace-killing tutorial pop up for just about every single demon) and the game is a painful slog if you ignore those tools; there's a handful of alternate strategies that work, but often times those require exploiting some game mechanics like quick switching, rather than simply using the weapon you'd like to use and finding a way to make it effective. Yes I understand how the mechanics work and you're being unreasonable by saying "the only reason you could possibly dislike this game is if you are too stupid to understand it". What exactly would make you accept criticism as valid? Do I have to beat the entire game on Ultra-nightmare before I'm allowed to dislike it?

Doom Eternal's combat is balanced, and encourages you to adapt, experiment, and use everything. i don't think the design is all that heavy-handed about what to use or how to play. use weapons/alt fires at ranges that make intuitive sense and on the relatively few enemies that maybe don't like that weapon, use the cooldown abilities when needed to recover resources like ammo, health, and armor, and toss nades to manage crowds of enemies are, IMO, all reasonable asks of the player in any FPS. there are no strict requirements other than judging the risk/reward of using the various tools in the game and acting accordingly. i think the fights with the marauders were actually restrictive, but easily cheesed, so i didn't care that much about that even if they did suck.

in contrast 2016 (a great game too) gave you no reward to leave a comfort zone, which usually consisted of optimized weapons like the gauss cannon, SSG, and chaingun that worked just about everywhere. to me that was an incentive to use the same tactics over and over, even if you didn't necessarily have to, everything else wasn't as good.

the "restrictiveness" complaints about Eternal almost seem hallucinated into the game design by various youtuber(s) quoting one of the developers in an unfavorable light. it's not consistent with what's actually there or trivial like complaining about having to jump too much in mario.

there are valid criticisms of the game, just not the ones that always seem to crop up. i recommend changing the default weapon binds to letter keys near WSAD, using the chainsaw more than you would in 2016, and keeping the difficulty at normal. i didn't find the higher difficulties enjoyable at all, but maybe some do.