Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Wolf09 seems pretty cool so far.

Indiana Jones looks cool, but I really hope Machine Games gets to cap off their Wolfenstein series. I know some people didn't like TNC, but I loved it and am still pretty hyped to see it what they do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Oh man, I ctrl-f the last few pages and saw no one type "Graven".

So...has anyone tried it out since it hit 1.0? It's been sitting on my wishlist for years now, but the reviews on Steam seem pretty mixed.

Did they just kick it out the door and say "1.0"! because of how long it was taking & all the trouble over at 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Finished up Wolfenstein 09 for the first time today. I thought it was pretty good overall, and have some thoughts on it:

• Killing Nazis feels real good in this game. The guns are awesome, AI is smart enough, and the animations & ragdolls are tuned just right.

• The upgrades you unlock for the weapons and powers are pretty cool, though the game definitely suffers from the "Why use any other gun 90% of the time" with the MP43.

• No shotgun!

• Game takes a little too long to introduce new enemy types IMO, and a lot of them seemed backloaded towards the last 25% of the game. The rocket troopers & flamethrowers come to mind here.

• There seems to be a shift in terms of battle arenas/fights between the first half and second half of the game. The first half just throws fodder at you in small cramped spaces constantly with maybe one higher-tier enemy to worry about. Things open up a bit more in the last half with more specialized enemies at once in larger areas.

• The village of Isenstadt is...interesting. It makes a lot more sense now with that comment left under Civvies video (which I haven't watched yet) with the game meaning to be open world and then switching midway through development. Other than running to your next mission and finding gold/intel, not much to do and not very interesting.

• 80% of the game takes place in Midtown Isenstadt, and then they force you into Downtown Isenstadt and you spend almost no time there. Very weird! Guess they just ran out of dev time with that one.

• I know this is a "eh, it's a videogame" thing, but I always found it funny when I was running around Isenstadt fighting Nazis, then turn a corner into the super-secret resistance hideout den with the big logo on the door. They're right around the corner from each other!

• The story is...whatever. The voice acting is pretty bad, especially BJ. Just the worst of the worst of those mid-late 2000's VO work. All of the "English speaking with German accents" stuff is bad. The actual gameplay is more than good enough to keep you going though.

• You can go through the vast majority of the game without using any of your powers, besides the one that makes you walk through certain walls and climb certain ladders. I played on Hard and besides the puzzles that force you to use them, I only felt the need to use my shield and damage amp powers in combat during the last few battles.

• Lack of Quicksave is not really that big of a deal. The checkpoint system is incredibly generous most of the time - there are only one or two instances where I felt it screwed me over.

• The level design when NOT in the hub of Isenstadt, is pretty good and interesting! The Farm level near the beginning of the game was where I was sold.

Overall, I'm glad I played it! I think I'll tackle Prey 2006 next - I only ever played the demo on 360.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I definitely enjoyed doinking the ax off various nazis heads for sure. The sound it makes on contact is pretty funny.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

crondaily posted:

My dogs, I have both the original and remastered BioShock games, which are a better experience to play?

I replayed Bioshock 1 and played (for the first time!) Bioshock 2 a few years ago using the remastered editions. Gameplay and art wise, remastered is fine and doesn’t really do much besides higher res textures and the like, so that’s good. Bioshock 2 remastered had a nasty habit of crashing on me fairly frequently, though with all things PC gaming who knows if it was my rig at the time or the game.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I found Infinite to be a total slog starting about halfway through the game.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Deathmatch in the updated Q2 holds up well. it's weird hearing high quality voice chat in it.

Related note: the game has a bug that can occur with bluetooth headsets that prevents all sound playback unless you disable your mic device in windows. Not great.

This is more of a windows thing then specific game, and has to do with Windows & bluetooth codecs and all that stuff. It's a mess. I use a pair of wh-1000xm4 Sony Bluetooth headphones for gaming on my PC most of the time (along with a wireless modmic if I hop on discord with friends) and I also had to disable the mic on the headset in Windows settings to get the sound to work properly.

The bluetooth nature of the headset means there's a slight delay in audio, but I get used to it pretty quickly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

On that note, a big new Quake mapset release: Remix Jam, taking 30 multiplayer maps from gaming history (with sources as varied as Unreal Tournament, Valorant and, uh, Rayman M) and reinterpreting as single-player Copper maps.

This sounds like a really cool idea. I guess I'll play this next after I wrap up Metro Exodus (not an old fps I know).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Milo and POTUS posted:

The holy trinity of indie throwback shooters. I'd probably buy a physical copy if such a creature existed. Throw me in a toy and it's a done deal.

Also there's something added to Amid Evil, I think the "final" endless mode map or something

Ultrakill really plays nothing like a traditional retro shooter, though. I found it was more like Doom Eternal meets Devil May Cry or something like that.

I played a good chunk of it this summer before deciding maybe it wasn’t really for me. I definitely see the appeal, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I feel like this gives me a better impression than the previous teaser where the player (hilariously) missed every shot, either as a reference to Stormtrooper aim or perhaps as a way to reduce the teaser's rating?

I think people figured out it was some sort of trailer rating/Disney requirement thing, since in the same trailer the player is hitting robots just fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Looking at my purchase history, I bought WRATH on October 30th, 2020. Holy poo poo.

I have never booted it up, so I'm excited to finally play it. I think some of the mappers who worked on Arcane Dimensions also worked on this, and I loving loved Arcane Dimensions.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does the game automatically save when you "complete" a level in WRATH, or do you have to burn a save/shrine?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

HolyKrap posted:

It autosaves. It'd be nice to see an indicator in the pause menu though, like when the last save was. There's not even a confirmation if you click "depart" so it feels a little risky if you aren't completely sure of when the last save was.

Nice, thanks. Only beat one level so far (Mire) but it definitely feels like more Arcane Dimensions so....I'm down for it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What difficulty are you guys playing WRATH on that you’re finding ammo an issue? I wonder if it’s drastically different for Medium vs Hard.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Compared to TAG1, TAG2 was a cakewalk.

I liked getting kicked in the nuts in TAG1, except for one fight that was absolutely brutal and I had to replay probably dozens of times. It's been years since I've played it so I don't know specifically where the fight is or what to call it...I guess I can try and find a youtube video of it.

E: Hmm, does not look like you can change the difficulty on WRATH after you start - kind of a bummer. Am I just missing the option? I want to crank it up to Hard after starting and beating one level (Mire) on Medium.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Multi-Marauder is def DLC.

E: actually I may be wrong, I think you fight more than one towards the end of base game...on a rooftop I think?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

JLaw posted:

Wrath is good, glad it made it across the finish line.

I like the idea of limited quicksaving in principle, but it kind of bums me out that (apparently?) Wrath doesn't do the save-on-quit thing... it makes it less attractive to do short play sessions during breaks since each one burns a save token. (Yah I know there are a lot of tokens, it's just the feel of the thing.)

I have just taken to pausing it and alt-tabbing out. I got 64GB of RAM so lol whatever

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I’m 2/3 of the way through WRATH, and “Aggressively fine” describes exactly how I feel about it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Music is very HL1/HL2 also.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Turin Turambar posted:

Still playing Wrath. On Episode 3 now. At this point I think I can summarize the game accurately. It's more or less what I said already in Episode 2: great, interested and varied level design, cool powerups, but mediocre bosses and the most important flaw, the enemy design is lacking. There are no versatile enemies like the Ogre, or the Knight, and there are barely interesting enemies like the Archvile or the Pain Elemental (just one, the shield bubble drone), used very sparingly. There are basically three types of enemies only:
-chaff enemies
-enemies with too fast rate of fire that turn themselves in immobile turrets the moment they see you, making up a combat that lacks dynamism.
-enemies that rush toward you at melee range (Widow, Executioner, Heretic when wounded) and you have to kill them fast or you will be killed in one second.

So all together, you have enemies that will stay in whatever position they are if they have line of sight, or enemies that rush to kill you and you have to kill them before they reach you. There is no middle point.

This sums up my thoughts on WRATH pretty well. I'm also on Episode 3 now, and so far it's just been..."pretty good I guess". I can't see myself going back to replay it after I'm done though, unlike DUSK and Amid Evil.

I'm also more lukewarm on the level design compared to you. I'm just not finding most of these levels very memorable. I can tell they are technically well designed and the flow is pretty good, but visually and aesthetically a lot of them look very similar to the point where they all sort of just blend together.

Also, I'm not finding Episode 3's hub world fun to navigate.

Don't want to poo poo on the game too much though - the weapons do feel very good for the most part, and Episode 3 finally forces you to actually use all of your arsenal in a way that makes combat encounters more interesting.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
WRATH got patched today:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1000410/view/4141694364930729681?l=english

quote:

Fixed OpenGL corruption on MenuQC entrypoints when steamoverlay is enabled on AMD GPUs
Prioritized dedicated GPU on both Nvidia and AMD
Changed Soul Tether Limit to 3 for Outlander Difficulty
Set Encounter Level to the max of 5 on each map for Outlander Difficulty
Increased Enemy Damage for Outlander Difficulty
Changed Soul Tether Limit to 9 for Hard Difficulty
Changed intro level camera angle
Infinite Saving option now saves after restarting the game
Fixed Shotgun switch bug
Fixed Slagcannon Alt Fire Delay
Fixed red invincible monsters from warp spawner issue with Confounding Attar
Fixed invincible Afflicted
Fixed missing q3 shader for Prowler’s Life Siphon effect
Fixed Keeper updating in the Journal and its Life Siphon effect
Fixed sound entities
Added set_origin and set_angles debug commands
Added scr_nohud cvar
Added cvar m_yaw values seta custom_m_yaw 1
Keybind fixes
Some fixes to high FOV
Updated intro map with texture fixes
Updated E1M3 with texture fixes
Updated E1M5 with item spawning fix
Updated E2M2 with enemy spawn, texture, and item fixes
Updated E2M4 monster clip around center lift
Updated E2M5 for performance fix
Updated E3M1 with clip fixes
Updated E3M3 with steam sounds
Updated E3M4 with clip fixes
Fixed Spanish Localization Graphics in Profile Menu
Updated localization strings
Updated Enemies Shader For Lurker Gibs

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I enjoyed HROT a lot when I played it last year. The brown didn't bother me at all, and it's got a sense of humor to it that is fairly unique as far as boomshoots go.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

Breaking News: Embracer has sold Saber Interactive off to, uh, Saber's co-founder. 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks is included in the transaction, hopefully sparing them any further humiliation (at least, of the non-self-inflicted kind).

Hoping that this stops the bleeding for 3D Realms/Slipgate.

Also that Tempest Rising will see the light of day.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Amid Evil and DUSK are basically my measuring sticks for boomer shooters.

Tbh, looking forward to the mini boomer RTS revival that seems to be happening relatively soon.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I get the itch to replay DUSK around Fall every year. It just has those vibes.

Episode 1 is pretty tame compared to 2 and 3 for sure, I believe David has said that’s mostly because he was learning level design as he went along and got more comfortable trying out new things as the project progressed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Can anyone share some quick thoughts on Fortunes Run before the steam sale ends? It's been sitting in my wishlist for awhile and looks right up my alley, but I haven't seen many people talk about it in this thread.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Interesting, thanks. I must have missed that it is still in early-access, and I'm not about to break my own self-imposed rule for a game that sounds like it still lacks a lot of content. Plenty of other games not in early access I can grab.

Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
A huge part of what made me “good at computers” was messing around with game mods when I was younger, and figuring out how to make them work.

I’m pretty sure downloading and playing mods for half-life was the first time I encountered the idea of game versioning. Had to make sure my game was on version 1.0.0.9 for most of the mods to work!

Messing with config files to make Foxbot in team fortress classic work the way I wanted when I was 11 actually forced me to learn some critical thinking and problem solving skills, turns out.

Not FPS but shout out to TibEd, a program my cousin showed me around the same time that made editing unit behavior and attributes in C&C Tiberian Sun surprisingly easy. Apparently, the website is still up and the last news update was made only 3 years ago!

https://www.tibed.net/index

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Angryhead posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/back-with-vengeance-best-boomer-shooters
Ultrakill
Turbo Overkill
Forgive Me Father 2
Deadlink
Prodeus
Quake II
Postal: Brain Damaged - Connoisseur Edition

For like 18 bucks? 16.46€ for me.

Don't sleep on Postal: Brain Damaged. I played it last summer and it was a ton of fun.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mierenneuker posted:

Obviously they're busy bringing this game back from the dead as we speak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2s982TzxQ

Obviously strong Inglourious basterds vibes from this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I reached Act 3 of Wrath, played one level and just...kinda dropped it.

Bummer. Might go back and wrap it up just so I can tick it off the list, but doubt I will revisit it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

This is a really cool video! I thought the point made at the end was pretty funny. The more they screenshots they want to take of the game with a photo of earth, the closer the drag it back down to the atmosphere.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Flubby posted:

Phantom Fury is just doing the Doom 2016 trick. Terrible first impressions, a demo that misrepresents it, and no faith in the developers. Then it comes out and opinion is going to 180.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That would rule tbh

Yeah, I remember when DOOM 2016 came out and this happened. It started off as a slow... "Wait a minute everyone...this...is actually pretty good??" and then just exploded.

Cool times.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

I had this back in the day on the same phone pictured in the thumbnail - Motorola Razr. I remember sitting in the back of my "criminal justice" (joke) class in 11th grade playing it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

It was only on the Epic client (before there was a store!) and was primarily developed by a skeleton crew hoping the community would do most of the grunt work as a way of promoting Unreal Engine 4. Then that same skeleton crew used the assets from another game by Epic, a recently-released co-op base-building game called Fortnite, to prototype up a PUBG clone. The rest, as they say, is history.

Haha yeah, I was following that weirdo UT4 development pretty closely because at the time it seemed like a pretty cool & unique concept*. They had regular a regular video series they would put out highlighting the work the internal team was doing, and also the work that community members put in. They also tried to angle it as a "Well we know people didn't like UT3, so this is your chance to steer how you want UT4 to play."

*Obviously hindsight being 20/20 this was not nearly cool as it seemed, having knowledge of how developers would go on to exploit models like this for massive profit (roblox) but in late 2014 it seemed cool

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

haveblue posted:

loving lpbs

Lots of memories of playing C&C & StarCraft online, with ***56K NO*** in the lobby titles :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Oh yeah, Gloomwood. I wonder if it's close to being 1.0 yet...